Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Steve-O  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2016 19:40:53(UTC)
Steve-O

Hi all

My trophys covered all of 7k and I've noticed buzzing in the dash at 4k, a knock from the drivers seat and just general trim buzzyness on coarse Road surfaces if you know what I mean.

I don't think this is acceptable given this is a top model.

Anyone had any luck getting stuff like this addressed successfully at the dealer?

It's this kind of thing that will drive me away. My 19 year old mx5 has less rattles than my trophy. That's embarrassing.

Cheers

Steve
Offline Bradrs200  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2016 20:19:37(UTC)
Bradrs200

In the same boat.

Since winter has started and the temperature has been around freezing, my 200 lux has started making awful rattles around the glove box, driver side door, near the front passenger tweeter.

Something coming from the front end doesn't agree with cold mornings making a terrible loud noise going over bumps in the road or speed bumps, hard to explain like a crunching/creaking but as soon as everything has warmed up over 10-20 mins it goes away.

Do I dare let my local Renault garage take a look? went without my car for 2 weeks the last time I went there.
Offline Steve-O  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2016 21:47:43(UTC)
Steve-O

This is my concern. Let's say they have the dashboard out. My negative side says to me that it's going to come back and be no better. But I'll have some new noises and scratch marks on my doors and trim where it's been messed with.

I want it sorted but worried it'll be worse after.
Offline RSaddict  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2016 22:15:41(UTC)
RSaddict

Do you mean buzzing in the dash at 4K revs or miles? As mine has a buzzing noise from instrument panel area around 4K revs.

No luck getting it sorted yet...
Offline Fraser  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2016 22:26:47(UTC)
Fraser

Originally Posted by: RSaddict Go to Quoted Post
Do you mean buzzing in the dash at 4K revs or miles? As mine has a buzzing noise from instrument panel area around 4K revs.

No luck getting it sorted yet...

I get a buzzing from the panel area but I fixed it by wedging the canopy of the panel apart by sliding 2 zipties in there.
You will see the canopy/hood over the dials has a gap between 2 pieces of material, and gently prying these apart fixed the noise for me, so wedging some zipties in there solved it.

Maybe this will help you
Offline RSaddict  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2016 06:36:02(UTC)
RSaddict

I will try that! Cheers!
Offline Steve-O  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2016 09:17:44(UTC)
Steve-O

I'll have a go as well but that's a bit pants bearing in mind it's almost new lol!
Offline sunnylunn  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2016 12:32:26(UTC)
sunnylunn

a squirt of silicon spray works wonders on any dash noises 👍🏻
Offline FramerateUK  
#9 Posted : 07 December 2016 13:05:28(UTC)
FramerateUK

I'm getting a vibration from the instrument panel on the dash too. Tried holding things but can't work out where it's coming from.

Generally the car is ok, but over a rough road I do notice quite a few vibrations!
Offline Steve-O  
#10 Posted : 10 December 2016 21:35:10(UTC)
Steve-O

Shame there's not a product you can chuck up inside the dash and it expands and kills any vibrations lol
Offline John_walker74  
#11 Posted : 10 December 2016 21:48:41(UTC)
John_walker74

If there is I need it for my mk3 200 since fitting powerflex bushes. I keep losing the bits of anti rattle paper I stuff in by the rev counter.
Offline Stuntedgrowth  
#12 Posted : 12 December 2016 14:20:26(UTC)
Stuntedgrowth

I'm currently looking at ways to sort this out myself, it seems there are two common locations for the rattles on these cars. I have had limited success with the center console, mine seems to be coming from the bottom left. I am 3d printing a shim / wedge that i hope will resolve or at the very least reduce the noise. I will then move on to the instrument panel.

Edited by user 12 December 2016 14:59:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Stuntedgrowth  
#13 Posted : 12 December 2016 16:42:49(UTC)
Stuntedgrowth

Managed to have quite a bit of success with the centre console, I feel like I've reduced the rattling by about 85% to 90%

I printed the below and placed it in the bottom left of the console

UserPostedImage

I still have the buzzing at 4K 🤔 But I'm confident it is the alarm sounder behind the dash. I've read it can be accessed from the engine bay but I've not had it confirmed yet.
Offline RSaddict  
#14 Posted : 12 December 2016 21:06:04(UTC)
RSaddict

Any pics of the alarm sounder would be great as I'd love to get rid of this rattle! It's so annoying!
Offline FramerateUK  
#15 Posted : 12 January 2017 10:23:54(UTC)
FramerateUK

My dash rattle was driving me nuts last night. Nothing I held stopped it and I just couldn't work out what it was. It sounded like it was the centre of the dash, but it's quite hard to place when you're driving.

When I stopped the car I had a look underneath the dash and it looked like it was the heater vent pipes that feed the air to my feet - they seem to knock freely against the front of the wheel trim.

I stuffed some paper towel in there as a test and that seems to have fixed it. I'll most likely fix it permanently with some silicon sealant, but it's done the job for now and the interior is nice and rattle free again :)
Offline Steve-O  
#16 Posted : 18 January 2017 22:10:27(UTC)
Steve-O

Mines booked in for 30th Jan so let's see what happens. I've already got a RUK case number. I am expecting hassle getting this resolved and getting the car back with new interior marks/scuffs and new noises to match.

Call me a pessimist. I'll post here in a couple of weeks with the result and see if I was right all along.

RUK if you are reading this: If they mess me about or I don't get this resolved efficiently then they'll (read Renault UK ) lose me as a customer for life pretty quickly. I've come into one of your top models off the bat and don't expect this kind of thing.

Fords already on the 'never going there again' list for the same reason. Their loss as I like to spend a few quid on my cars!
Offline johnny#178  
#17 Posted : 19 January 2017 09:10:53(UTC)
johnny#178

I've had a rattle for some time somewhere in the dash. Now it's absent but will probably come back when temperatures will get higher. One rattle is also in the BT mic, next to the interior light. Try applying some pressure to the mic when you hear the rattling, maybe that's that.
Offline probecomp  
#18 Posted : 19 January 2017 10:17:59(UTC)
probecomp

I wish Renault would finally put it as their priority, to produce rattle-free vehicles!
Offline MrVix  
#19 Posted : 19 January 2017 13:38:54(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: probecomp Go to Quoted Post
I wish Renault would finally put it as their priority, to produce rattle-free vehicles!

The only vehicles I have owned that haven't had any annoying rattles etc have been BMW. The Mercs I have had have been dreadful and the GFs TT I noticed yesterday has developed an annoying noise on the passenger side.

It is not unique to Renault and whilst my Megane 265 did rattle as far as I can rememeber the 2 Clio's were rattle free.

If you want proper rattles go get a LotusLOL
Offline del115  
#20 Posted : 19 January 2017 14:51:34(UTC)
del115

That almost sounds as if you are saying that Renault designs rattles into their cars as standard.

I am on my second MkIV Clio and like the MkIII before them I have not had any rattle, squeaks or annoying noises.
Luck of the draw I guess.

Possibly more likely on the Clio as these are still assembled by people as opposed to robots.
Offline Georgeski  
#21 Posted : 19 January 2017 15:31:06(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post

The only vehicles I have owned that haven't had any annoying rattles etc have been BMW. The Mercs I have had have been dreadful and the GFs TT I noticed yesterday has developed an annoying noise on the passenger side.

It is not unique to Renault and whilst my Megane 265 did rattle as far as I can rememeber the 2 Clio's were rattle free.

If you want proper rattles go get a LotusLOL

I have never had any rattles etc from the two BMW's I have owned and the Japanese cars for that matter too.

The the drivers seat in the Audi has developed a spradic, but annoying nonetheless, squeak.
Offline Steve-O  
#22 Posted : 19 January 2017 17:17:33(UTC)
Steve-O

i have had a lot of japanese cars (Honda/Mazda/Lexus)- absolutely none of these issues. The current Lexus CT200h is whisper quiet. The multiple Audis i have had - again all fine even an older 2000 Reg S3 i ran as a commuter for a year or so with no such issues.

I wouldn't mind if it was an older car, say 5 years old and 60k on the clock (even though my mx5 doesn't rattle on meister coilovers!), as there is the expectation that being french unfortunately you will see this kind of thing at some stage. And thats fine and i knew what i was getting myself into coming from the above cars.

But to encounter it with less than 8600 motorway miles covered (not rough rural potholed roads that could shake the car to pieces) its just not acceptable.

Edited by user 19 January 2017 17:21:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline FramerateUK  
#23 Posted : 19 January 2017 17:35:41(UTC)
FramerateUK

My Megane 250 was rattle free for years but did get a few in the final years (got crashed into on year 3 and kept the car until it was nearly 6, so not bad going at all).

The Clio's dash rattle for me has been fixed, but I'm getting a weird loud crack or pop noise that seems to happen about once or twice on each commute (1 hour). I can't figure out if it's the speaker or something behind the dash - but it is quite loud.

I did wonder if it was electrical but I'd expect a smell from an electrical pop. There's no visible signs of anything on either fuse box so I don't think it's that. I think it must be down to something moving when it gets hot since it only seems to happen once I've been in the car for 20 mins or so. I'm going to leave the stereo off this evening to see if it's related to that.

EDIT: Found the popping sound! Turned out to be an empty bottle of water under the passenger seat that was cracking when it warmed up with the car! Problem solved and a rattle/pop free car prevails :)

Edited by user 19 January 2017 19:23:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline probecomp  
#24 Posted : 20 January 2017 18:15:09(UTC)
probecomp

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post

That almost sounds as if you are saying that Renault designs rattles into their cars as standard.

There's a Yogi Berra quote that I like, which says: "If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up someplace else" Wink

If you specifically don't plan and design a rattle-free vehicle, then you're essentially designing a rattle-prone vehicle!

If you've ever inspected closely a BMW or Audi dash, or disassemble some of it, you'd notice that everywhere where panels overlap or have contact, they've used a felt tape. And foam, or some absorber or friction reducer. Renault is not as diligent in that regard.

I've removed all rattles from my Megane R26 dash, just by disassembling it and placing felt tape everywhere where panels make contact, wrapping ducts and wires with it, and fixing wires with the zip ties. But customers shouldn't have need to do this, it should have been designed and built that way from the start.

So yes, I'm saying that not making a rattle-free design a priority, Renault is designing rattles into their cars by default.

To be fair, the Megane III was quite good, but the current Clio is worse than the predecessor. Clio III at least had rubberized dash panels which are quiet by design (and reflect less) versus the hard plastic of the current model, which squeaks if you just look at it.

Edited by user 20 January 2017 18:26:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified