Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Clioconvert  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2017 06:43:51(UTC)
Clioconvert

I think I know the answer is no but....... is there a way of changing the revs at which it changes gear in auto and sport mode? I find it lets it rev too much before changing, I think it would be better if it changed before the redline rather than when it is deep in it. When I crack on in sport mode in auto I find myself changing manually with the paddles when it gets around 6000 revs. I think it makes better use of the torque that way and doesn't thrash the engine.
Offline eccentric1  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2017 08:19:41(UTC)
eccentric1

The short answer as you suggested is no (or so I understand). You're driving in sport mode so that's what you get; sporty.

If you want more 'normal' driving, let's say for around town just use normal auto.
In sport mode there's nothing to stop you using the paddle shift whenever you want so you decide when to shift. This is the mode and method I use out of town mostly.
Then of course you can assume full control with race mode.

This video from RS test driver Laurant explains things well, in fact he has a series of 'expert' videos for various Clio RS feautures:
Offline Clioconvert  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2017 09:20:08(UTC)
Clioconvert

Thanks, yes I understand what you are saying, it would be a nice feature to lower the change revs, I think you may actually be faster changing gear a little lower in the rpm range so you ride the torque as it were. Maybe in a newer version this is something that Renault might add to the RS monitor.

The tips from Renault Sport experts is a great video - thanks for posting.
Offline eccentric1  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2017 09:39:15(UTC)
eccentric1

Whilst I hear what you're saying I have to disagree about that (possible) feature.

Personally when I feel lazy, for example just driving around town, I'll leave it in automatic and let the car do the work.
Otherwise on country roads, mountain passes, B-Roads ... etc ... I'll mostly use sport mode with the paddles for some fun or occasionally race mode for even more fun.

I personally don't see the point of selecting sport mode then still letting the car do the gear changes, but that's just me. I guess I'm still very much a 'manual' man at heart with the luxury of laziness around town.

Edited by user 17 February 2017 09:40:03(UTC)  | Reason: awful speeling mis-steaks

Offline titian  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2017 09:50:10(UTC)
titian

I think renaultsport have been ahead of the game with this clio ,people just don't like change, when you had Subaru in the wrc you could buy the car just like it. Renaultsport bring out at car that's similar to the clio cup car that you can buy it gets a bad rep ,I just don't understand it.

Edited by user 17 February 2017 09:51:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Clioconvert  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2017 10:02:50(UTC)
Clioconvert

No, no don't get me wrong I love the car, it's only a minor detail, I do what Eccentric1 does and just flick the paddle if I am in auto and sport and I want it to change early. The reason I often use auto in sport mode is I love the way it blips on the down changes and it drives when I have the linear or extreme throttle map setting but in automatic. That's the thing about this Clio there are so many ways to drive it - a massive massive point that people overlook in my opinion.

Don't read this as a negative post people :)

Edited by user 17 February 2017 10:03:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline titian  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2017 11:11:46(UTC)
titian

Originally Posted by: Clioconvert Go to Quoted Post
No, no don't get me wrong I love the car, it's only a minor detail, I do what Eccentric1 does and just flick the paddle if I am in auto and sport and I want it to change early. The reason I often use auto in sport mode is I love the way it blips on the down changes and it drives when I have the linear or extreme throttle map setting but in automatic. That's the thing about this Clio there are so many ways to drive it - a massive massive point that people overlook in my opinion.

Don't read this as a negative post people :)

My bad, was talking about the wider public not getting what renaultsport has done to the clio.
Offline Womble  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2017 20:22:39(UTC)
Womble

Is that what normal mode is for, earlier up changes.

Also the car learns your driving style.

If you wish to change up earlier pull the right paddle.

Driving in Sport mode in manual my car changes up before the redline.

There are 5 driving modes

Auto

Manual

Sport Auto

Sport Manual

Race Mode, manual changes, no intervention you are in full control

Paddle shift and gearstick shifting, shift light programming and on the new car throttle mapping.

Enough choices really.

Edited by user 18 February 2017 20:29:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Clioconvert  
#9 Posted : 19 February 2017 08:02:07(UTC)
Clioconvert

Where can you change the shift light programme?
Offline Womble  
#10 Posted : 19 February 2017 21:16:29(UTC)
Womble

Monitor

Offline Fraser  
#11 Posted : 20 February 2017 11:38:57(UTC)
Fraser

Originally Posted by: Womble Go to Quoted Post

Monitor

What's this ?
Offline eccentric1  
#12 Posted : 20 February 2017 12:58:09(UTC)
eccentric1

Offline Clioconvert  
#13 Posted : 20 February 2017 13:55:53(UTC)
Clioconvert

Hi, whereabouts in the monitor? It is quite complex :)
Offline ibatzakas  
#14 Posted : 20 February 2017 14:23:36(UTC)
ibatzakas

Hi cliconvert....i think you need full renault sport course training ...welcome !!!!!
Offline jeffreypeterwest  
#15 Posted : 20 February 2017 17:57:14(UTC)
jeffreypeterwest

I think having the choice to change manually (paddles or lever) or have the car do it is great. The driver is in control. If Renault had restricted one way or the other there would be those who'd prefer the opposite. Thumbs up for picking AND over OR.
Offline Fraser  
#16 Posted : 20 February 2017 18:24:26(UTC)
Fraser

Originally Posted by: Fraser Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Womble Go to Quoted Post

Monitor

What's this ?

Oops I quoted the quote of the message I meant to Big Smile

What do you mean by shift light programme?
Is what I mean to ask :)
Offline Suicida1 Zombie  
#17 Posted : 25 February 2017 02:11:53(UTC)
Suicida1 Zombie

For some reason you can't change the shift light point on the Trophy.

I have the R-Link and its nowhere to be found, even if following the instructions in the manual.

The only things I can change on mine are throttle map and Power steering....
Offline titian  
#18 Posted : 25 February 2017 05:23:20(UTC)
titian

Just had to use a car with a manual gearbox for 4 days while my car was off the road , having two alloys refurbished . I am so glad to have my car back. No way my next car will be a manual.
Offline Clioconvert  
#19 Posted : 25 February 2017 09:07:14(UTC)
Clioconvert

I too can not see where I can change the revs at which the shift light comes on, I have looked and clicked everywhere? Anyone tell me where it is? I assume you have to be in sport mode?
Offline Womble  
#20 Posted : 25 February 2017 19:34:52(UTC)
Womble

Perhaps the shift light option is not available on the newer cars, I dont have throttle mapping, it was only on V2 even though it was in the original brochure.

Shift light is in the same bit that you can turn it off, if I am out in the car tomorrow, Ill have a look, it is in Sort mode in car setup, it is in the manual but again this is outside in the car or I would have a look.