Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bradders2010  
#151 Posted : 19 April 2017 17:45:31(UTC)
bradders2010

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bradders2010 Go to Quoted Post
Drive by videos... sounds like a manual and automatic version

dct sounds nice. why hasn't it got 350bhp?

yeah kinda sounds like a golf R
Offline Marc_250  
#152 Posted : 20 April 2017 15:58:02(UTC)
Marc_250

Autocar seems to suggest they know it will be over 300hp and 2.0l motor.....I suspect their price point is a bit optimistic given what a 220s RRP is.

https://www.autocar.co.u...300bhp-and-mature-design
Offline RSaddict  
#153 Posted : 20 April 2017 21:28:12(UTC)
RSaddict

Yep, agree. Nearer £30k I'd imagine.
Offline Kirsty172  
#154 Posted : 20 April 2017 21:56:05(UTC)
Kirsty172

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Autocar seems to suggest they know it will be over 300hp and 2.0l motor.....I suspect their price point is a bit optimistic given what a 220s RRP is.

https://www.autocar.co.u...300bhp-and-mature-design

they don't know what they're taking about then. it will be the 1.8 from the alpine.

i doubt it will be over 300 bhp either.

and impossible to be < 30k given the 220 price like you say. and with sterling so weak and sales so low that won't do it any favours at all. they'll try to keep the price low i expect and then you'll be paying a fortune to put the options back on it that they've taken off it to make it competitive. expensive time for hot hatches now - think a Focus RS with reasonable spec must be 35k+ now isn't it?

i do hope it is a nice car, needs something decent to come out from RS after recent averageness.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#155 Posted : 21 April 2017 06:58:02(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

The GT205 is £26k, they don't know what they're talking about. £30k easily
Offline skny  
#156 Posted : 21 April 2017 13:47:33(UTC)
skny

Having no confirmed engine / gearbox makes it pretty useless to talk about price level, surely it needs to be cheaper than the focus RS,
Offline Marc_250  
#157 Posted : 21 April 2017 14:03:25(UTC)
Marc_250

Bogo Golf GTI starts at 27k, Meg GT 26k, new CTR I think I read was going up a grand so I guess 31k base, FRS now 32k base.

Expensive stuff, new RS has at least 28,999+
Offline RSaddict  
#158 Posted : 21 April 2017 14:18:52(UTC)
RSaddict

I'm revising my prediction, with decent options I reckon £34k.
Offline MrVix  
#159 Posted : 21 April 2017 15:32:45(UTC)
MrVix

I think the base headline figure will begin with a 2 but after a few options it will get into the 3's.

Renault need to be very careful with its pricing, if they get firmly into the £30 plus bracket they are going to be up against the 4 wheel drive boys from Ford and VW who happen to be flavour of the month at the moment and they may struggle.

Edited by user 21 April 2017 15:33:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Georgeski  
#160 Posted : 21 April 2017 16:37:22(UTC)
Georgeski

Agree with you MrVix.

Really looking forward to the unveil whenever that may be, wish it was soon though.
Offline del115  
#161 Posted : 21 April 2017 17:32:19(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post
I think the base headline figure will begin with a 2 but after a few options it will get into the 3's.

Renault need to be very careful with its pricing, if they get firmly into the £30 plus bracket they are going to be up against the 4 wheel drive boys from Ford and VW who happen to be flavour of the month at the moment and they may struggle.

I would agree with that in principle but many may well fancy something that is not as common if it has a 'bone fida' RS spec.
As ever it will be the press that seals the fate of the car along with the knowledge that residuals are not likely to be good if history is anything to go by.

My suspicion is it will possibly be a 'all things to all people' car following on from the success in commercial terms of the Clio IV which now, in Trophy form, gets pretty good reviews.
Megane GT is already available so a Trophyesq Megane RS might fit the bill.
Offline MrVix  
#162 Posted : 23 April 2017 18:11:43(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post

I would agree with that in principle but many may well fancy something that is not as common if it has a 'bone fida' RS spec.
As ever it will be the press that seals the fate of the car along with the knowledge that residuals are not likely to be good if history is anything to go by.

My suspicion is it will possibly be a 'all things to all people' car following on from the success in commercial terms of the Clio IV which now, in Trophy form, gets pretty good reviews.

If RS try and compete with VAG product like they appear to have 'tried' with the clio it will imo be the end of the RS brand as we know it.

The Germans do the 'all things to all people' so well and getting people to come out of their Golfs in droves is going to be nigh on impossible. RS product (pre MK4 clio) always had an 'edge' to them, lets hope that will be retained in the new Megane. I am sorry to say I have my doubtsCry
Offline skny  
#163 Posted : 25 April 2017 13:36:36(UTC)
skny

MrVix, I dont know why you doubt in the RS, I see it they have learned from the clio mk4 RS press releases and will not make the same mistake again, to be honesst the prototype does show it, they have kept the big brakes for car, where following the clio route, and the golf gti thay could easily talk it to their accountants that the brembo calipers are not necessary, judging by the extra width to the car they also kept the independent axis setup in the front, which could also easily be just left behind in favor of a simple and cheap mcpherson setup, but looks like its still in, no doubt the manual will be offered, and surely as time moves on, the competitors are stronger than ever the output will make it possible for the ring record yet again, I honestly have no doubts the car will be an absolute proper RS.

Read on a french forum that the dialogys software for the dealers shows the 1.8tce for the megane, dont know if its true though as I have no access to the software.
Offline probecomp  
#164 Posted : 28 April 2017 12:32:07(UTC)
probecomp

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
Really looking forward to the unveil whenever that may be, wish it was soon though.

They said Frankfurt auto show, so mid September...

Offline WB83  
#165 Posted : 28 April 2017 13:05:48(UTC)
WB83

If RS try and compete with VAG product like they appear to have 'tried' with the clio it will imo be the end of the RS brand as we know it.

The Germans do the 'all things to all people' so well and getting people to come out of their Golfs in droves is going to be nigh on impossible. RS product (pre MK4 clio) always had an 'edge' to them, lets hope that will be retained in the new Megane. I am sorry to say I have my doubtsCry

100% agree but hope we are both wrong and the new Megane still has an edge and hasn't gone soft like the clio just to chase VAG customers.

Offline MrVix  
#166 Posted : 30 April 2017 08:52:11(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: WB83 Go to Quoted Post

100% agree but hope we are both wrong and the new Megane still has an edge and hasn't gone soft like the clio just to chase VAG customers.

Fingers and toes are well and truly crossedBig Smile
Offline sunnylunn  
#167 Posted : 30 April 2017 10:29:55(UTC)
sunnylunn

theres no point Renault making a hardcore Megane that few will buy, cars are moving away from that, they only sell in very limited numbers.hot hatches are supposed to be every day cars and i bet very few of the people moaning about 5 doors and other luxuries never use the car on track anyway.
My hope is that the new Megane appeals to a much larger audience, but is still on the pace with the other hatches, flappy paddles are the future.
Offline Marc_250  
#168 Posted : 30 April 2017 10:38:06(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: sunnylunn Go to Quoted Post
flappy paddles are the future.

Electric power trains and driverless cars are also the future, doesn't mean I want either.
Offline sunnylunn  
#169 Posted : 30 April 2017 10:39:32(UTC)
sunnylunn

wouldn't be too keen on either of those myself.
Offline CraigI  
#170 Posted : 30 April 2017 15:03:30(UTC)
CraigI

theres no point Renault making a hardcore Megane that few will buy, cars are moving away from that, they only sell in very limited numbers.hot hatches are supposed to be every day cars and i bet very few of the people moaning about 5 doors and other luxuries never use the car on track anyway.
My hope is that the new Megane appeals to a much larger audience, but is still on the pace with the other hatches, flappy paddles are the future.

There's every point.
Renaultsport is a brand with a USP, lose the USP and the brand dilutes to meaningless.
Given that Renaultsport are in F1, I'd suggest they'll still want to maintain that brand and not dumb it down too much.
Offline sunnylunn  
#171 Posted : 30 April 2017 15:42:05(UTC)
sunnylunn

well it looks like the next Megane Rs will be a 5 door, with 'flappy paddles' perhaps with a manual option as well, thats dumbed down from the last gen Megane RS. i'll be interested to see the take up between auto and manual if one is offered.
Offline MrVix  
#172 Posted : 30 April 2017 15:42:55(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post

There's every point.
Renaultsport is a brand with a USP, lose the USP and the brand dilutes to meaningless.
Given that Renaultsport are in F1, I'd suggest they'll still want to maintain that brand and not dumb it down too much.

Exactly Craig the stuff that Renaultsport have been producing lately aka the 200T/220T should have always been badged as 'GT'.

All Renaultsport are producing at present is run of the mill 'VAG Type ' dross and the fabulous reputation that they have built up over the past 20 years is being lost.

We are always going to have the likes of Sunnylunn etc that are happy with this type of vehicle and that is fine, there is a market for them under the GT banner but leave RS for the special stuff.
Offline sunnylunn  
#173 Posted : 30 April 2017 18:27:48(UTC)
sunnylunn

I've had more proper RS cars than you will ever have, drive them on track, so feel i know a bit about proper RS products and what they are about, rather than reading up about them, you seem more GT orientated than me fella. Its the way cars are going, like it or not, they are getting made for the masses. i'll stick to my proper RS cars, i have 2 at the moment.
Offline MrVix  
#174 Posted : 30 April 2017 18:40:52(UTC)
MrVix

My Dad is bigger than your DadLOL LOL

I will assume 'Fella' that your current count of two proper RS models does not include your 220 TrophyLOL LOL
Offline sunnylunn  
#175 Posted : 30 April 2017 18:58:24(UTC)
sunnylunn

i assumed he would be fella, and yes it does include my 220 Trophy, and my R26, remind me again which Renaultsport model you own 😎 😀😀😀