Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FramerateUK  
#51 Posted : 15 May 2018 08:45:28(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: probecomp Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post
If I was buying for the car for trackdays I'd absolutely spec them. Mine's intended just for road use though so I just didn't see the point.

That said, I've got two sets of wheels on my Caterham, one set being almost 1KG lighter than the other per wheel, but out on the road, or even on the track the difference really isn't noticeable. I think you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in most circumstances on a car that weighs nearly 3 times the amount.

The benefit of reduced brake discs mass is not in the overall weight saving of the car. There is some benefit, but that's not the point.

The point is in reduced unsprung mass - the mass that the suspension (and steering) has to control. Reducing the unsprung mass greatly improves handling over bumpy roads, potholes and other (vertical) road imperfections, because the suspension can more easily keep the wheel/tyre in contact with the ground. As a result, handling is improved, the grip is improved and comfort is greatly improved. When you hit a bump, there's less mass and inertia to control, the wheel can be controlled much faster, smoother and with much less impact on the vehicle dynamics.

Therefore, the benefit of improved ride quality is typically much more noticeable in everyday road driving, than on a track, as tracks are typically rather smooth (unless, of course, the track happens to have a lot of vertical oscillations - ie. Nürburgring).

There is some overall weight saving as we are talking rotational mass (therefore the effective mass is increased with rotational speed). They say that 1 kg of unsprung mass is equivalent to 10-20 kg of sprung mass. But the key benefit is in improved ride quality and handling.

You've misunderstood my comment entirely. I'm not taking the saving into the overall mass of the car.

I'm saying in my Caterham, I can hardly notice 1KG of additional mass per corner, and this on a lightweight car that reacts far more to bumps than a heavyweight hatchback. In the context of that (very lightweight) car, I couldn't really tell any difference, and that on the already much heavier Megane, I think most people would be pushed to feel much difference.

I'm not arguing the benefits, I just don't think most people would notice.

That said, it's hardly the hardest part to fit aftermarket if you really wanted them.
Offline rob.e  
#52 Posted : 15 May 2018 12:59:05(UTC)
rob.e

not disputing how your caterham felt before/ after but my experience putting 8kg wheels on my vRS in place of the 13kg boat anchors it had on from the factory was definitely noticable - both in terms of ride and acceleration. How much of that would be placebo though i don't know ;-)

Offline FramerateUK  
#53 Posted : 15 May 2018 13:31:33(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: rob.e Go to Quoted Post

not disputing how your caterham felt before/ after but my experience putting 8kg wheels on my vRS in place of the 13kg boat anchors it had on from the factory was definitely noticable - both in terms of ride and acceleration. How much of that would be placebo though i don't know ;-)

Oh totally :)

I thought the difference as huge originally on my Caterham once I swapped the wheels around. When I swapped them back for a trackday a few weeks later I couldn't tell at all. There was a huge change going from 15" to 13" wheels, but between the two 13" sets I couldn't really tell.

Still, you've got me questioning my choice of brakes now LOL
Offline Sprocker  
#54 Posted : 16 May 2018 08:50:08(UTC)
Sprocker

Does anyone know if renault have a factory tracker like Vauxhall?

When I ordered my Astra vxr in 2012, I was able to see at what point it was through to delivery to the dealer. You just needed a code from the dealer to enter into the site. That was a long enough wait, ordered 6th march, the day the order books opened, picked it up 27th july.

I've got a build date of 16th June for the rs so hopefully it won't be too long after that.
Online del115  
#55 Posted : 16 May 2018 13:12:25(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: Sprocker Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know if renault have a factory tracker like Vauxhall?

When I ordered my Astra vxr in 2012, I was able to see at what point it was through to delivery to the dealer. You just needed a code from the dealer to enter into the site. That was a long enough wait, ordered 6th march, the day the order books opened, picked it up 27th july.

I've got a build date of 16th June for the rs so hopefully it won't be too long after that.

Nothing like that as far as I am aware.
Indeed the fact that we have a date at all (I have the same as you) is an advance on previous orders I have placed.

Dealer can look and gets info on when the VIN was issued and when production is completed.

My experience with my 3 Clio's was that once the car had left production is was 'radio silence' until it turned up at the dealership.
That was Dieppe mind, maybe Spain is more organised.
Offline FramerateUK  
#56 Posted : 17 May 2018 18:44:01(UTC)
FramerateUK

Interesting that you guys have build dates already - my dealer was looking at the system and the cars that were allocated that soon on looked to be demo cars and their specs were locked.

He also said that currently the system won't allow the Bose to be specced along side the larger RLink screen and he's trying to get a clear answer for Renault about what the score is.
Online del115  
#57 Posted : 17 May 2018 19:51:46(UTC)
del115

Interesting that you guys have build dates already - my dealer was looking at the system and the cars that were allocated that soon on looked to be demo cars and their specs were locked.

He also said that currently the system won't allow the Bose to be specced along side the larger RLink screen and he's trying to get a clear answer for Renault about what the score is.

Definitely had 'Green' padlock symbols when I looked on May 4th.
Seems to have changed since then - see my other post.
Offline Sprocker  
#58 Posted : 17 May 2018 20:42:27(UTC)
Sprocker

Yep, from what I remember, when we looked on the system, if the car had a green padlock then the spec could be changed. The cars on the system when I ordered were scheduled to be built for renault uk.

I wanted titanium, the only car ready for building in that colour was a completely different spec to what I wanted but as it had not been 'locked we could change the spec.

Sounds a bit odd, taking a car destined for renault uk but the salesman said it's what they do.

Hope it's right and it doesn't all go pear shaped!!!
Offline Luke RUK  
#59 Posted : 18 May 2018 10:59:59(UTC)
Luke RUK

Del I’ve dropped you a message.
Offline racing blue  
#60 Posted : 18 May 2018 15:39:54(UTC)
racing blue

Luke RUK

Anything you would like to share with the others on here, myself included, who have placed orders with out dealers and been informed that the car was on order.

I have tried contacting my dealer but no reply yet - are we in the same limbo as del115?

Offline ATRH22A7  
#61 Posted : 18 May 2018 16:16:14(UTC)
ATRH22A7

I sold one this morning and its not letting my sales manager add options or change colour and its only in partial flex!! Talking to another salesman and hes been informed Orange or Yellow orders wont be done until September build slots as the factory is full?
Whos going to call my customer and tell them they are going to get charged an extra £1500 for the cup chassis pack because they chose the most expensive colour? Why promote such an offer if it wasnt possible? why didnt you tell us here at the dealer, at least then i could've sold them a colour that is registrable in August?
On the RS course back in December your Megane designer you had flown in from France told the whole room build time was 4 weeks....yes 4 weeks and i did question it and he assured me it was correct....clearly not!!

Youve delayed the demonstrators again back to some time in July, so you decided the FOC cup chassis pack was a nice incentive to get orders in early...it has worked but now you are telling us some customers wont get their cars built in time just for choosing a more desirable(and expensive) colour?

Why do we even bother!!
May as well just stick to selling Dacias!

Sorry for going on but answers would be nice at least we have some ammo for when im getting screamed at from joe public for having to tell them they need to fork out £1500 extra.

Edited by user 18 May 2018 16:31:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrVix  
#62 Posted : 18 May 2018 16:31:01(UTC)
MrVix

Yes RUK I would like to hear an answer to the above too. It is all very well sending Del a secret squirrel message and locking a thread so it doesn't escalate into mayhem but I would say mayhem has already happened. Be up front with people on here, I am going to order when the Trophy is out but if you cannot get your act together you will lose a lot of business. Get your heads out of the sand and come clean with EVERYONE on the current situation.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#63 Posted : 18 May 2018 21:13:13(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Originally Posted by: ATRH22A7 Go to Quoted Post
I sold one this morning and its not letting my sales manager add options or change colour and its only in partial flex!! Talking to another salesman and hes been informed Orange or Yellow orders wont be done until September build slots as the factory is full?
Whos going to call my customer and tell them they are going to get charged an extra £1500 for the cup chassis pack because they chose the most expensive colour? Why promote such an offer if it wasnt possible? why didnt you tell us here at the dealer, at least then i could've sold them a colour that is registrable in August?
On the RS course back in December your Megane designer you had flown in from France told the whole room build time was 4 weeks....yes 4 weeks and i did question it and he assured me it was correct....clearly not!!

Youve delayed the demonstrators again back to some time in July, so you decided the FOC cup chassis pack was a nice incentive to get orders in early...it has worked but now you are telling us some customers wont get their cars built in time just for choosing a more desirable(and expensive) colour?

Why do we even bother!!

Sorry for going on but answers would be nice at least we have some ammo for when im getting screamed at from joe public for having to tell them they need to fork out £1500 extra.

I guess it’s really bad when, apparently, a Renault dealership comes on here to complain about Renault UK
Offline Sprocker  
#64 Posted : 18 May 2018 21:30:35(UTC)
Sprocker

Oh dear!!! As I said earlier, hope it doesn't all go pear shaped...

If they can't even get brochures printed in time, just had a letter today stating they are yet to be printed, then it doesn't bode well for the rest of the product.

Makes me want my car even more now, but, if things get silly, I'll be going for my deposit back.

Offline eccentric1  
#65 Posted : 19 May 2018 03:27:41(UTC)
eccentric1

Different country, different problems, but when it comes to the new Megane RS brochure it's nice and glossy (as you'd expect from a sales brochure) and mainly filled with pictures, some info about the 4 wheel steering ... etc ......

UserPostedImage

Apparently, as I hear on here; You can have any colour you like expect the most popular and most expensive options:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Wheel options & car dimensions are:

UserPostedImage

I've had this brochure about a month now from my last visit to Renault Munich main dealership. MAybe it's time to ask if their expected delivery date of May for the demonstrator is still on track?
Offline ATRH22A7  
#66 Posted : 19 May 2018 07:19:20(UTC)
ATRH22A7

Originally Posted by: Buffalo Girls Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ATRH22A7 Go to Quoted Post

Why do we even bother!!

I guess it’s really bad when, apparently, a Renault dealership comes on here to complain about Renault UK

Not complaining buddy, frustrated more than anything, Ive been so excited about this car coming out, ive got a list as long as my arm with test drives and interest....but Ive got no answers!!
Offline BLADESBLOOD  
#67 Posted : 19 May 2018 07:59:18(UTC)
BLADESBLOOD

I honestly couldn't be doing with the hassle . I'll hold onto my 275 Trophy and my money until they get their act together and release some cars into the market .Whenever that may be.
Offline foxspeed  
#68 Posted : 19 May 2018 10:29:13(UTC)
foxspeed

well if they are delivered after the "free cup chassis" deadline i for one would expect them to honour that deal or discount the car by the appropriate amount after all a deal is a deal if signed for Approve

ps i would rather wait & it be right rather than get something that isnt ie like a faulty headgaskets Blush
Offline racing blue  
#69 Posted : 19 May 2018 11:16:02(UTC)
racing blue

Just an hour after my previous post my dealer got in touch to tell me everything with my order was OK - and the free cup chassis issue had been dealt with internally by adding a further discount.

I'll post anything further if I hear anything.

Offline Repair&Restore  
#70 Posted : 19 May 2018 11:42:46(UTC)
Repair&Restore

I already know my chassis number so my car is already built but it's just a shame they have run out of black 19" wheels!
Offline eccentric1  
#71 Posted : 19 May 2018 14:17:38(UTC)
eccentric1

Talking of brochures:
That bloody annoying floating menu to the right of the forum has disappeared :-)

Maybe it's a benefit of Renault not having certain brochures available and want to stop people trying to order them.
Either way, thanks and please keep it this way (the floating menu, not the lack of brochures).

Sorry for the diversion, carry on as you were ....
Online MikeWDY  
#72 Posted : 19 May 2018 17:24:59(UTC)
MikeWDY

Originally Posted by: racing blue Go to Quoted Post
Just an hour after my previous post my dealer got in touch to tell me everything with my order was OK - and the free cup chassis issue had been dealt with internally by adding a further discount.

I'll post anything further if I hear anything.

Thanks tells me the dealer is willing to lose the value of the cup pack meaning if they get the money back from Renault, great but otherwise they'll subsidise it. Maybe try to ensure you get the value and make sure Renault pay out so you get a £1500 deduction? They obviously have the margin.
Offline g7egt  
#73 Posted : 19 May 2018 19:33:45(UTC)
g7egt

Because of the Renault offer this month, they can’t back out if they have sold too many in May(this is the problem with supply I would guess at the moment) that there problem not the person who has ordered the car within the offer period.
Offline Marc_250  
#74 Posted : 20 May 2018 18:58:59(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: Repair& Go to Quoted Post
I already know my chassis number so my car is already built but it's just a shame they have run out of black 19" wheels!

Worth waiting for the 19s, fit the car much better. Also read a review that had a 280 with 18s & 19s to test back to back and the said the 19s offered a better drive/stability.
Offline g7egt  
#75 Posted : 20 May 2018 21:02:58(UTC)
g7egt

Do you have the link to the review please