Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline roystinho  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2017 13:29:34(UTC)
roystinho

I know some others are on here, I've got a bit of a collection so started a project with a friend who has loads too (he's got over 300 pairs).

If you are we've set up a Facebook group and are starting YouTube videos. As some of you know I had a car blog, but ended up selling it last year and I always need a project to keep me busy.

Link to FB group if you want to join up https://m.facebook.com/thesneakerannexe/

Is going to be quite light hearted as opposed to some people out there of the 'look at me aren't I amazing' type

To add, it's not a business, just an interest to share
Offline CraigI  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2017 14:42:18(UTC)
CraigI

Used to be, big fan of Hanon Shop up in Aberdeen (who do some fabulous limited editions) and always go to Flight Club when we are in New York.
However, I've grown out of it now I think. I keep looking, but they ain't what the used to be, find my shoe collection has overtaken my trainer collection now.
I'm sounding old.....
Offline del115  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2017 15:33:16(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
Used to be, big fan of Hanon Shop up in Aberdeen (who do some fabulous limited editions) and always go to Flight Club when we are in New York.
However, I've grown out of it now I think. I keep looking, but they ain't what the used to be, find my shoe collection has overtaken my trainer collection now.
I'm sounding old.....

Your old when it is your 'slipper' collection in 1st placeWink
Offline Georgeski  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2017 19:00:46(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: roystinho Go to Quoted Post
I know some others are on here, I've got a bit of a collection so started a project with a friend who has loads too (he's got over 300 pairs).

If you are we've set up a Facebook group and are starting YouTube videos. As some of you know I had a car blog, but ended up selling it last year and I always need a project to keep me busy.

Link to FB group if you want to join up https://m.facebook.com/thesneakerannexe/

Is going to be quite light hearted as opposed to some people out there of the 'look at me aren't I amazing' type

To add, it's not a business, just an interest to share

Not keen on trainers to be honest Wink
Offline roystinho  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2017 19:15:00(UTC)
roystinho

Hanon is a great shop. Never been myself but browse all the time.

George - now I know you're talking $#!€
Offline Georgeski  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2017 19:28:55(UTC)
Georgeski

Hanon is a great shop. Never been myself but browse all the time.

George - now I know you're talking $#!€

LOL
Offline roystinho  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2017 06:04:18(UTC)
roystinho

Here's the intro we've come up with for the videos. What do you think?

A friend of ours did the logos and the labels for each episode, we were blown away by them
Offline Penn  
#8 Posted : 10 January 2017 19:47:45(UTC)
Penn

Here's the intro we've come up with for the videos. What do you think?

A friend of ours did the logos and the labels for each episode, we were blown away by them

Is that licensed music? If so, get rid of it or you won't be able to monetise the videos.
Offline roystinho  
#9 Posted : 10 January 2017 20:04:34(UTC)
roystinho

It's just music we like. If it comes to the point where we're getting loads of views then we'll have to rethink or look at how we can use it I guess... I'm not completely up to speed with the whole music thing.

Do you know Tom?
Offline Penn  
#10 Posted : 10 January 2017 20:49:57(UTC)
Penn

It's just music we like. If it comes to the point where we're getting loads of views then we'll have to rethink or look at how we can use it I guess... I'm not completely up to speed with the whole music thing.

Do you know Tom?

You run the risk of your videos being completely muted, simply blocked so that they can't be played at all and the account owner being slapped with a copyright infringement notice. I've learnt the hard way over the years and many of my videos were either blocked or muted.

You also can't monetise videos that contain copyrighted content such as music. This also applies to any content within your video so be careful not to have background music on.

I'd try and find some royalty free music that you can put on your intro so that you don't have to worry. YouTube has some built in music options but most of them are fairly naff.
Offline roystinho  
#11 Posted : 10 January 2017 21:48:13(UTC)
roystinho

Ok thanks, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Some people have said under 30 seconds isn't usually a problem???
Offline Penn  
#12 Posted : 10 January 2017 22:09:07(UTC)
Penn

Ok thanks, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Some people have said under 30 seconds isn't usually a problem???

Not as common to get collared for short clips but can still happen.

Good luck with the venture!
Offline roystinho  
#13 Posted : 10 January 2017 23:50:00(UTC)
roystinho

Cheers

Here's the full first episode - the annoying thing about YouTube is you can't get a decent URL without having 100 subscribers now. My personal account is just /roystinho, just got code for this one at the minute.

Anyway, enjoy, critique etc...

Offline MrVix  
#14 Posted : 11 January 2017 00:44:06(UTC)
MrVix

Don't give up the day job😉

Have you tried fitting that Fiat 500 into one of your shoe boxes😀

Edited by user 11 January 2017 00:47:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline eccentric1  
#15 Posted : 11 January 2017 05:31:41(UTC)
eccentric1

I own one pair of trainers, they're over 20 years old and now live just outside the door on the patio and no, I have no idea what make or brand they are other than "my gardening footware".
I don't get the whole trainer thing, maybe it's an age thing ;-)
Offline roystinho  
#16 Posted : 11 January 2017 09:44:09(UTC)
roystinho

The whole trainer thing...

When I was a kid (like 10 or something) I got teased for wearing some crap trainers, can't even remember what they were, but it was significant enough for me to always beg my parents to have some cool ones. I'd go without things as a deal with them. When I got a part time job at 16 I had a bad habit and used to buy 2-3 pairs a month as I had nothing else to spend it on. As I grew up, married, kids, house etc my enthusiasm waited a bit, but bumping into the guy I'm doing it with sparked it up again.

I'm lucky I get plenty of time off at work, that's why I had a car website/blog, but it was hard getting to events, filming bits (never got round to doing that) as carsvtake up a lot of time. I can buy a pair of trainers, film something stupid with them in about an hour and then put it out, especially as we now have a format and have learnt the best ways to edit it to our taste.

Like I say, it's not to make money, just to have a laugh and occupy my time. Obviously if it does take off we have a few plans that we might do, monetising the videos isn't particularly one of them though.
Offline eccentric1  
#17 Posted : 11 January 2017 15:44:06(UTC)
eccentric1

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, just that it's not my thing but there again I'm an inherent collector so I have my own sins:

When I was in the UK thanks to a crazy chemistry teacher who had them pinned all around his lab I started collecting beer mats, joined the British Beermat Collector's Society (yes, there is one) and ended up with a collection of around 20,000 which thanks to a downturn in the economy I was unable to sell so I brought them with me to Germany.
Long story short; I managed to sell them and on the same day visited an antique fair and spent the exact amount of money on an original and rare 1929 HMV Gramophone.
Now I've acquired a massive collection of HMV original record catalogues ranging from the 1920's to the 1950's when they stopped producing 78's.
Ahh yes, I have my parents' original collection of over 200 of the 78's.
I have almost every HMV needle tin ever made .... etc etc ...... original HMV gadgets ... etc ....

I have small collections of good, hand-made pottery from specific potters, a collection of semi-precious stones, fossils ... should I go on?

Then there's my whisky stuff .... the proceeds from the sale of my collection basically bought my Trophy, but I still have more small sample bottles (of whisky) than I'll ever be able to drink, currently about 1200 to 1500.
I put all my tasting notes and other articles I write onto my website which currently has over 1200 whisky reviews, then I have another 500 or so still to bring online before I start on the samples .........

As I said we all have our hobbies or collections, enjoy yours!

PS. When I was a kid (like 10 or something) trainers didn't exist, for outdoor sports we wore football boots, for indoors we wore those dreadful old black plimsoles, what we also used to call pumps for some crazy reason. I was well into my teens before trainers started to appear.

Edited by user 11 January 2017 15:47:19(UTC)  | Reason: Plimsoles

Offline Georgeski  
#18 Posted : 11 January 2017 17:29:40(UTC)
Georgeski

The whole trainer thing...

When I was a kid (like 10 or something) I got teased for wearing some crap trainers, can't even remember what they were, but it was significant enough for me to always beg my parents to have some cool ones. I'd go without things as a deal with them. When I got a part time job at 16 I had a bad habit and used to buy 2-3 pairs a month as I had nothing else to spend it on. As I grew up, married, kids, house etc my enthusiasm waited a bit, but bumping into the guy I'm doing it with sparked it up again.

I'm lucky I get plenty of time off at work, that's why I had a car website/blog, but it was hard getting to events, filming bits (never got round to doing that) as carsvtake up a lot of time. I can buy a pair of trainers, film something stupid with them in about an hour and then put it out, especially as we now have a format and have learnt the best ways to edit it to our taste.

Like I say, it's not to make money, just to have a laugh and occupy my time. Obviously if it does take off we have a few plans that we might do, monetising the videos isn't particularly one of them though.

What kicked off your passion for trainers Danny was exactly the same for me to be honest.
Offline roystinho  
#19 Posted : 11 January 2017 17:49:40(UTC)
roystinho

eccentric1 - I've done the whole website thing before, and though enjoy it this little venture isn't just about me, it's to try and create something a bit more. So people can share their pictures with us like a community thing, we've got things like a weekly show with the latest releases or news from the past week lined up, we've got a few designers and shop owners that either want to feature or have their product featured.

Of course, some of this depends on how big it grows. 1000 views in a morning and 200 page likes since we made the Facebook page on Saturday isn't a bad start, but it needs to carry on momentum and not fade out
Offline CraigI  
#20 Posted : 11 January 2017 20:27:48(UTC)
CraigI

Too much you, not enough trainers.
A bit too much "look at me", which you said it wouldn't be.

What's your target demographic?
You should perhaps use a younger presenter as I expect you're not targeting too many your own age and above.

Not for me, good on you for giving it a go though, what with family, work etc I wouldn't have time, nor could I be arsed if I did.
Offline Marc_250  
#21 Posted : 11 January 2017 20:53:14(UTC)
Marc_250

I think I can see where the desire for the 500 came from, you just wanted another trainer Tongue

But seriously I had no idea this was a thing, must be quite a niche.
Offline roystinho  
#22 Posted : 12 January 2017 00:15:33(UTC)
roystinho

A niche? You're kidding? It's massive!!! Trainers are a huge thing to loads of people of all ages. Compared to some our collection is minuscule. There's people camping outside stores tonight waiting for some exclusives releasing in the morning - I'm just chancing it online as have the school run
Offline roystinho  
#23 Posted : 12 January 2017 00:20:36(UTC)
roystinho

Craig, most of the serious trainer collectors I know are late 30s/40s, just like the car guys they're the ones with all the disposable income.

Kids love them but can't afford them, 20s are just getting houses and cars at the start of career... etc etc

It's hard to not be 'look at me' when you're on video telling people about the idea... Would you break out all the best trainers at the start or just drip them in slowly? I know what I think works best to keep people wanting to see more Wink
Offline del115  
#24 Posted : 12 January 2017 11:08:52(UTC)
del115

Craig, most of the serious trainer collectors I know are late 30s/40s, just like the car guys they're the ones with all the disposable income.

Kids love them but can't afford them, 20s are just getting houses and cars at the start of career... etc etc

It's hard to not be 'look at me' when you're on video telling people about the idea... Would you break out all the best trainers at the start or just drip them in slowly? I know what I think works best to keep people wanting to see more Wink

From a fairly detached pov I find this concept quite interesting.
What I wonder actually makes a pair of trainers collectable?
Do people actually wear them or just occasionally get them from the box just to look at them.

Years back I did but a pair of Onitsuka 'Tiger' special BMW Mini edition trainer type footwear.
Wore them once, nearly crippled me so been in the wardrobe ever since.
From what I am reading here looks like I need to get them on eBay.Shocked

Be interesting to see if your site becomes a phenomena.
Always good to have an interest - good luck.
Offline roystinho  
#25 Posted : 12 January 2017 11:42:57(UTC)
roystinho

What makes trainers collectible is pretty much the same as cars. All about desirability, limited editions etc. The thing trainers has over cars is that they're so accessible.

For instance, I have a pair I bought for about £60 a few years ago, £300 on eBay now. I missed a pair of trainers that were released this morning. £110, but going for £600-700 on eBay already. Only about 400 pairs were available.

Difference is I don't buy to sell, it's so annoying like the car flippers. I wear all of mine. Obviously the rare, collectible ones I occasionally wear in nice weather etc