Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Fraser  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2017 15:27:27(UTC)
Fraser

In my Drivers Handbook, anything regarding oil just says refer to 'maintenance service booklet', which I don't seem to have.

Can anyone let me know the correct oil weight for our car?

Cheers
Fraser
Offline eccentric1  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2017 18:49:29(UTC)
eccentric1

By weight do you mean classification as in viscocity?

OK, I'm in cold Bavaria and the recommended oil for here is 10W40 which basically means a Winter rating of down to -20°
Otherwise sorry, I don't go around weighing oil.

I do wish these ratings would be more obvious to their meanings.
Offline del115  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2017 21:12:16(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: Fraser Go to Quoted Post
In my Drivers Handbook, anything regarding oil just says refer to 'maintenance service booklet', which I don't seem to have.

Cheers
Fraser

UK cars come with 1 litre of Elf SXR 5W-40 in the boot when new.
Offline eccentric1  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2017 05:09:07(UTC)
eccentric1

Interesting that we have the same engine but different oil ratings are recommended in different countries.
5W-40 in UK which is certainly not as cold in winter but -25°C rated oil against 10W-40 in DE which is certainly colder in winter but -20°C rated oil.

Just out of interest this is a good website explaining all this jargon http://www.upmpg.com/tec...cles/motoroil_viscosity/
Offline Fraser  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2017 11:05:50(UTC)
Fraser

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post

Cheers
Fraser

Thanks del. I didn't get mine from new so it must already have been used!
User is suspended until 12/02/2018 07:52:11(UTC) Cliomike  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2017 15:48:42(UTC)
Cliomike

Originally Posted by: eccentric1 Go to Quoted Post
Interesting that we have the same engine but different oil ratings are recommended in different countries.
5W-40 in UK which is certainly not as cold in winter but -25°C rated oil against 10W-40 in DE which is certainly colder in winter but -20°C rated oil.

Just out of interest this is a good website explaining all this jargon http://www.upmpg.com/tec...cles/motoroil_viscosity/

Surprising that. Is it Renault recommending that viscosity for DE? That's technically counter intuitive.

Offline eccentric1  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2017 16:56:50(UTC)
eccentric1

Yes, when I was having the winter tyres fitted I asked the service manager about oil as I intend to pay for an oil change myself (outside of the 4y service programme) after running in, so about 1500km.

I expected something like 5W-40 but was surprised when he said they use 10W-40 which is the recommendation for the winter climate here.
As I've posted elsewhere we've already had temperatures of -26°C so I'll be questioning this again when I go for the oil change.
I may even try to insist on 5W-40.

This is with Renault HQ in DE!
Offline del115  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2017 17:12:49(UTC)
del115

Yes, when I was having the winter tyres fitted I asked the service manager about oil as I intend to pay for an oil change myself (outside of the 4y service programme) after running in, so about 1500km.

I expected something like 5W-40 but was surprised when he said they use 10W-40 which is the recommendation for the winter climate here.
As I've posted elsewhere we've already had temperatures of -26°C so I'll be questioning this again when I go for the oil change.
I may even try to insist on 5W-40.

This is with Renault HQ in DE!

I take it from your comments that you do not receive the complimentary litre of oil then.
Had this with my 200, 200t and 220T - perhaps this is just a UK thing done at the import centre when they arrive.

Would your information have come from the same chap that advised you could have an emergency spare wheel?
I only ask as not all UK dealers are up on the specifics of RS cars.

FYI
Just had my first service - part number for the oil (EVOL SXR 5W-40) is R7711275972.
Should be easy enough to get the part number from the parts department in DE.

Edited by user 05 February 2017 21:03:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline eccentric1  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2017 02:08:08(UTC)
eccentric1

No, no litre of oil with the car when new so I guess this is a UK thing.

The spacesaver wheel offer was from the salesman and I'll speak to him about this at some point, but it's not that important.

As for the oil I was speaking to a service manager, so I'd expect more common sense than being driven by commission from him ;-)
I need to check under the bonnet to see if they've left a label or ticket of some kind saying what oil has been used originally as it's common to do that here. There's usually a little ticket thing that comes with the oil and they put it somewhere near the filling point to say what oil has been used and when it was filled.
I'm now at 1100km so getting nearer to my running in oil change.
Offline FramerateUK  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2017 11:01:21(UTC)
FramerateUK

Speaking of oil changes, anyone know what the service schedule is on the 220? As in mileage? I usually got for the yearly service but I'm likely to hit 12k before I get to April at the current rate. The Megane 250 was 2 years or 12k, I assume the Clio is 12k also?
Offline WB83  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2017 11:28:38(UTC)
WB83

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post

Cheers
Fraser

This is the one to use irrespective of geography I believe. I would read the handbook/service book and not pay any attention to what they tell you in the dealership/service desk.

Offline eccentric1  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2017 12:47:32(UTC)
eccentric1

As with the link I posted above the "W" stands for winter and the oil grading defines viscosity at low temperatures, so it defines at what temperature the oil will start to be effective (in basic terms).

5W means the oil is flowing and effective starting from cold at outside temperatures of -25°C, the next level 0W is for temps of -30°C so maybe this means 5W also covers a gap between -25 & -30 but not sure on that.
10W is -20°C which is what I'm a little uncomfortable with as around January we usually reach at least -20 at some point. This year we had one night at -26°C and in the past I have experienced -32 here, but that was a real exception.

I just checked again and I have a document with the handbook (it's one A4 page) which defines all the fluids to be used. For oil it just says "ELF" and gives the temperature table as I've explained.
Apparently someone somewhere has defined Bavaria (or maybe Germany as a whole) as -20°C and no lower.

As I said I'm not overly comfortable with this and will discuss it with the service manager quite soon now.
Offline WB83  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2017 16:08:16(UTC)
WB83

Logic would dictate using a lower W in cooler climes but either way the datasheet for elf sxr 5w-40 says it can be used in all weathers: http://www.total-distrib..._sxr_5w-40_042015_en.pdf

However, none of this is as important as having an elf sticker on the rear window Tongue
Offline eccentric1  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2017 16:47:22(UTC)
eccentric1

I really don't dispute that unless of course you're in the arctic or similar when you'd need 0W-40.
Warmer temperatures aren't a problem, it's just a case of the oil being viscous enough when cold starting in winter. In the UK you don't have such cold winters but as you say there's no problem making especially sure as I'd like to do here.

It just concerns me that even though it's only for a handful of days per year, the -20 rating of 10W technically doesn't do the job.
Let's see if I can insist on 5W or even 0W which I used to have in my Alfa V6 (Mobil 1 there) as oil is one area where I'm very fussy about having the best possible.

Edited by user 06 February 2017 16:48:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#15 Posted : 06 February 2017 19:25:49(UTC)
Cliomike

I really don't dispute that unless of course you're in the arctic or similar when you'd need 0W-40.
Warmer temperatures aren't a problem, it's just a case of the oil being viscous enough when cold starting in winter. In the UK you don't have such cold winters but as you say there's no problem making especially sure as I'd like to do here.

It just concerns me that even though it's only for a handful of days per year, the -20 rating of 10W technically doesn't do the job.
Let's see if I can insist on 5W or even 0W which I used to have in my Alfa V6 (Mobil 1 there) as oil is one area where I'm very fussy about having the best possible.

If you are fussy about the best oil (rightfully so) then it is also worth checking just what type of Elf oil the Renault DE chaps will be putting in your car if you are using them for servicing. They have the option of using a synthetic blend rather than a better quality fully synthetic Elf oil, regardless of the d coded visco rating.

For warranty Renault will always state using an RN approved standard oil. That limits choice, includes Elf and some other manufacturers but excludes some higher quality oils. RN standard oil is the manufacturers way of maintaining a cartel of suppliers.

Once you have sorted the visco rating issue, make sure the oil you use is a fully synthetic RN, not a cheaper blended RN standard Elf oil.
Offline Georgeski  
#16 Posted : 06 February 2017 19:29:08(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Cliomike Go to Quoted Post

If you are fussy about the best oil (rightfully so) then it is also worth checking just what type of Elf oil the Renault DE chaps will be putting in your car if you are using them for servicing. They have the option of using a synthetic blend rather than a better quality fully synthetic Elf oil, regardless of the d coded visco rating.

For warranty Renault will always state using an RN approved standard oil. That limits choice, includes Elf and some other manufacturers but excludes some higher quality oils. RN standard oil is the manufacturers way of maintaining a cartel of suppliers.

Once you have sorted the visco rating issue, make sure the oil you use is a fully synthetic RN, not a cheaper blended RN standard Elf oil.

Very true - I would use Castrol Edge out of the RN approved fully synthetic oils.
#17 Posted : 07 February 2017 14:09:18(UTC)
Cliomike

I'm liking Shell Helix 5W-40 atm. Fully synthetic also RN spec and chuffing cheap. About £20 for 5L.
Offline Georgeski  
#18 Posted : 07 February 2017 14:50:30(UTC)
Georgeski

£20 for 5l is not to sniffed at.
Offline eccentric1  
#19 Posted : 07 February 2017 15:25:27(UTC)
eccentric1

Oh dear, I'll definitely be having words with that service manager as I just found a German Clio forum where the same question about oil was asked. The concensus of opinion is again 5W-40 although 0W-40 has also been mentioned as a possible choice.
Just one has said his handbook mentions 10W-40 which obviously the others have disagreed with.

So, guess what I'll be insisting upon?

As an aside I looked into a car bits 'n' bobs shop today, kind of a German equivalent to Halfords I guess (called ATU - Auto Teil Unger) and they sell the Castrol Edge but not in 5W-40.
The one with three renault codes on the back label is 5W-30 which I guess I also don't want to use.
Price of all Castrol Edge was €69.99

Clio Welt (Clio World) forum in German with same oil discussion: https://www.cliowelt.de/...C3%BCllung-Motor%C3%B6l/

Edited by user 07 February 2017 15:29:50(UTC)  | Reason: Extra info

Offline Georgeski  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2017 15:34:49(UTC)
Georgeski

Castrol edge is much cheaper online - a decent price is around £28 for 5 litres.
#21 Posted : 07 February 2017 17:42:57(UTC)
Cliomike

Motul 8100 X-cess is a great fully synthetic and also RN spec. Another option and 5W-40.
Offline eccentric1  
#22 Posted : 08 February 2017 14:04:54(UTC)
eccentric1

Good idea Georgeski, I've found it online here for €38.
Firstly I need to have the discussion with that Renault Service manager and maybe another at a different dealership for a second opinion if needs be.

With the Alfa I was a big devotee of Mobil 1 but I have heard some great reports for Castrol Edge so I'd be more than happy to use that if I can find the correct Renault authorised one.
Offline Georgeski  
#23 Posted : 08 February 2017 15:37:09(UTC)
Georgeski

Castrol Edge is a very good fully synth, although the Motul suggested above is also a solid choice.
Offline Fraser  
#24 Posted : 10 February 2017 11:44:01(UTC)
Fraser

Lads lads lads.
Contacted my local Renault Retail as I don't have a maintenance document.
And they sent me this maintenance document straight from my car reg
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

So that straight up states 5W30.

I emailed back and asked for assurance it was the correct document and received

"That document is taken direct from your registration, directly from Renault technical services."
"I've spoken to our Master Technician and he also suggests that 5w-30 is the correct oil rating."

Now I'm perplexed.
Especially given I've ordered some 5W40 already.

Also shout out to the dealership as their service has been on point with my requests

P.S.
Maybe some of the data in there will be useful to you all

Edited by user 10 February 2017 11:52:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Georgeski  
#25 Posted : 10 February 2017 13:18:48(UTC)
Georgeski

Seems odd; the second number is viscosity when the engine is up to temperature so it is critical to ascertain whether it is 30 or 40. I thought all RS' were 40.

Edited by user 10 February 2017 14:21:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified