Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Georgeski  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2017 11:50:46(UTC)
Georgeski

Offline Fraser  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2017 16:02:00(UTC)
Fraser

Thoroughly enjoyed hooning mine around Oulton Park for a first time on track, and then back to driving it in every day stop-start traffic no issue. Absolutely adore it, although I echo their comment that the list price is steep.
That said, I did not buy mine new LOL
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Georgeski  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2017 16:55:57(UTC)
Georgeski

Looks nice in red.
Offline g7egt  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2017 17:26:08(UTC)
g7egt

Have to love the motoring press, they have only just discovered the Trophy is good. Doh!
Offline Kirsty172  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2017 18:27:10(UTC)
Kirsty172

i love the comments from the PHers. sums it up, doesn't matter if the press have only just 'discovered' the trophy (although wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement - check the price comment!) the damage was done years ago with the buyer's perception.
Offline Georgeski  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2017 18:41:26(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post

i love the comments from the PHers. sums it up, doesn't matter if the press have only just 'discovered' the trophy (although wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement - check the price comment!) the damage was done years ago with the buyer's perception.

You are right about perception and there is an old phrase that 'perception equals reality', because whatever you perceive is your reality (even if it is not true). Hasn't it been the case though with every RS model that it has a number of iterations through its lifecycle, steadily honing and finessing them?
Offline Marc_250  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2017 19:25:34(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
Looks nice in red.

Yea, looks more like Ultra Red in those pics, guess it's just the camera settings or my eyes
Offline Georgeski  
#8 Posted : 13 March 2017 19:44:24(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Looks nice in red.

Yea, looks more like Ultra Red in those pics, guess it's just the camera settings or my eyes

I had the exact same thoughts! It looks like a flat red, but I'm sure it must be metallic.
Offline titian  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2017 21:26:30(UTC)
titian

I'm not sure why people on here give the Clio a hard time,most haven't even driven it ! ,it's the quickest,best handling the best technology and the closest thing to a touring car yet they think a fiesta with a naff crashy ride and a Peugeot with a horrid interior is better , come on get off the band wagon .If you haven't got a Renault isn't it time to jog on rather than bash the brand
Offline Fraser  
#10 Posted : 13 March 2017 22:36:03(UTC)
Fraser

Looks nice in red.

I had the exact same thoughts! It looks like a flat red, but I'm sure it must be metallic.

Flame Red, it's super glossy but doesn't come off very well in photos!
This one is probably the best reflection of what it looks like in person

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 13 March 2017 22:37:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Buffalo Girls  
#11 Posted : 14 March 2017 08:27:59(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

It does look good in red (not as good as yellow though😉)
Offline titian  
#12 Posted : 14 March 2017 08:56:26(UTC)
titian

Flame red in the sun looks amazing
Offline Fraser  
#13 Posted : 14 March 2017 13:13:02(UTC)
Fraser

Originally Posted by: Buffalo Girls Go to Quoted Post
It does look good in red (not as good as yellow though😉)

It doesn't but damn if LY isn't really expensive

Edited by user 14 March 2017 13:15:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline WB83  
#14 Posted : 14 March 2017 17:30:25(UTC)
WB83

Originally Posted by: titian Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure why people on here give the Clio a hard time,most haven't even driven it ! ,it's the quickest,best handling the best technology and the closest thing to a touring car yet they think a fiesta with a naff crashy ride and a Peugeot with a horrid interior is better , come on get off the band wagon .If you haven't got a Renault isn't it time to jog on rather than bash the brand

Mostly because the mk.4 isn't as good/fun/engaging* as the mk.3 RS Clio and many felt that Renault dropped the ball by chasing VAG customers and alienated their core audience whilst simultaneously diluting their USP.

*delete as appropriate.

Offline Kirsty172  
#15 Posted : 14 March 2017 18:45:24(UTC)
Kirsty172

Originally Posted by: WB83 Go to Quoted Post

Mostly because the mk.4 isn't as good/fun/engaging* as the mk.3 RS Clio and many felt that Renault dropped the ball by chasing VAG customers and alienated their core audience whilst simultaneously diluting their USP.

*delete as appropriate.

^^^^ all wot he said (although the mk3 also wasnt as good as the mk2....!)

the tiny handful of us that do stick around and occasionally contribute are retaining the delusional blind faith that eventually renault will produce a decent car again*....! Big Smile

* that isnt an SUV

Edited by user 14 March 2017 18:46:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline titian  
#16 Posted : 14 March 2017 19:12:32(UTC)
titian

What did the above think when you test drove it?
Offline Kirsty172  
#17 Posted : 14 March 2017 20:54:39(UTC)
Kirsty172

i personally did not test drive, as i had no desire to test drive it since launch due to;

+ too many doors in that size car
+ too small an engine
+ too heavy
+ auto gearbox only on that small engine
+ too expensive
+ too much of a change of philosophy vs. the previous generations as a result of renault moving the target buyer

for us then, as traditional/old RS owners (9 bought between us before this generation of clio) they'd strayed too far from all the things that attracted us to the brand in the first place.
Offline titian  
#18 Posted : 14 March 2017 22:18:22(UTC)
titian

You have some valid points,but the new clio is lighter you can get more out of the engine and in today's money it's about the same price as the 182 trophy (£15,500) and that only had fancy shocks . It seems like most things today they have to cater for everyones tastes.
Offline CraigI  
#19 Posted : 14 March 2017 22:41:09(UTC)
CraigI

You are wasting your breath.
Kirsty believes Subaru still makes a car worthy of consideration.............
Offline Fraser  
#20 Posted : 14 March 2017 23:16:52(UTC)
Fraser

I test drove this, a Golf GT and a Focus ST.
The short version is that in my opinion the golf was comfortable, excellent trim, but boring.
The Focus had a ride that I felt was both uncomfortable but not-sporty at the same time ? ?
Admittedly they are both a class larger (Megane equiv) but that was out of the question as I wanted 5 doors.

For me the Clio was the one.
Haven't driven a MK3 Clio so can't compare.

Edited by user 14 March 2017 23:18:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline titian  
#21 Posted : 15 March 2017 00:04:24(UTC)
titian

I've had a mk3 and a megane 265 so have a good idea what makes a renaultsport car.
Offline Marc_250  
#22 Posted : 15 March 2017 21:05:17(UTC)
Marc_250

Had not driven a 200T/220T but as an ex 200 and 250 owner when I first saw the looks and the mandatory auto I was firmly in the dislike camp. The reviews compounded that.

Still not driven one but I really like the 220Ts looks now, especially the face lift. The reviews these days are all pretty good as well but I think the competition is much stronger.

I think the "punching above it's weight" thing is what RenaultSport was all about but with such great rival hot hatches at lower prices it's difficult now.

But I do think it gets a bit too much of a hard time on here.
Offline Kirsty172  
#23 Posted : 16 March 2017 22:18:49(UTC)
Kirsty172

Had not driven a 200T/220T but as an ex 200 and 250 owner when I first saw the looks and the mandatory auto I was firmly in the dislike camp. The reviews compounded that.

Still not driven one but I really like the 220Ts looks now, especially the face lift. The reviews these days are all pretty good as well but I think the competition is much stronger.

I think the "punching above it's weight" thing is what RenaultSport was all about but with such great rival hot hatches at lower prices it's difficult now.

But I do think it gets a bit too much of a hard time on here.

very truthfully put. punching above their weight is completely true - they were cheap to buy, you could get huge discounts, they performed at top of class. none of that applies to the current RS range unfortunately - which is why it DOES get a hard time.

although the new megane RS will be competitive i dont doubt, and hopefully it will have a manual to maintain some sales, it will still be too expensive for a renault, and it likely wont be top of class with, like you say, such strong competition (focus RS in the past, next CTR coming along, leons looking strong - although FAR too bloody expensive - and the usual suspects from vw and audi). hyundai will have their N range soon, so a very wide choice out there (all if which will get even more expensive following brexit).