Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BLADESBLOOD  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2017 18:14:40(UTC)
BLADESBLOOD

Sold my Megane rs265 recently as it was a faff getting it in and out of the garage BUT I miss it awfully.Out of a huge list of high performance cars I have owned it has been the best. Anyhow I am contemplating a Clio200/220 but know little about them.Any advice ? eg I think I need a cup chassis ? Do any models have LSD ? Gearboxes reliable or not ?
How do you rate the performance ?
I'm a very mature owner and don't expect a rocket but I'd like it to put a smile on my face.
Really unsure if I should go Clio or rs265 again.
Any help appreciated
David
Offline MrVix  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2017 18:43:03(UTC)
MrVix

Defo go 265/275 again it is a no brainer.
Offline Clioconvert  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2017 18:58:08(UTC)
Clioconvert

220 Trophy in liquid yellow with Akrapovic exhaust then book a trip to Belgium for a remap
Offline probecomp  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2017 19:51:42(UTC)
probecomp

No LSD on the Clio, my advice would be Megane again - more performance, more focused driver's car...
Offline titian  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2017 20:46:39(UTC)
titian

I've had a rs265 ,now got a clio 220 i found the clutch to stiff for me on the megane ,for me there's not much in speed wise. I love the gearbox in the clio,Clio has 4 years warranty and i don't think the clio needs a LSD , but horses for courses.Try them all i would say

Edited by user 18 April 2017 20:51:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sunnylunn  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2017 06:56:55(UTC)
sunnylunn

get a test drive in a Clio 220 then you'll have a better idea, think you will be surprised how good they are, although the RS275 is a fantastic car, Clio is nowhere near as fast. The Clios gearbox is really good, fast changes, especially in race mode, sounds ace with the Akra exhaust as well.
Offline eccentric1  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2017 10:35:33(UTC)
eccentric1

Have to agree with sunnylun here.
Both cars are excellent but we each have our individual preferences and you should buy a car to suit yours, not someone else's.

You know the Megane already so maybe you don't need to test that, but certainly get a test drive in a Clio Trophy. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Offline del115  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2017 13:28:34(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: eccentric1 Go to Quoted Post
Have to agree with sunnylun here.
Both cars are excellent but we each have our individual preferences and you should buy a car to suit yours, not someone else's.

You know the Megane already so maybe you don't need to test that, but certainly get a test drive in a Clio Trophy. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I would go a step further and say you will, despite negative press and comments on here, definitely be pleasantly surprised.
After that of course your choice will, as it always does, depend on you, your driver requirements and your initial impression of any cars you test.
If you can find a dealer that will let you have an extended (24hr) test period then I would not be surprised to see you coming back telling us of your 220 purchase.
Offline roystinho  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2017 17:43:26(UTC)
roystinho

I was sceptical about the clio, but I think the 220 Trophy is a cracking car. Doesn't quite fit into what I want, but I'd certainly recommend one to friends and family (and have done)
Offline Familyman  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2017 20:25:18(UTC)
Familyman

clio trophy is superb, ive just rediscovered how good it is, after some warmer weather meant nice dry roads.....nobody has been in my trophy that hasn't been impressed, and there are a few petrol heads in that list
Offline FramerateUK  
#11 Posted : 20 April 2017 10:43:47(UTC)
FramerateUK

The Clio is a brilliant little car for a daily driver which is a bit of fun. I came from a Megane 250 and I've had no complaints.

My question is, are you buying this as your only car or as a second car? Controversial point on a Renault forum maybe, but I don't get why people buy hot hatches as second cars/weekend/trackday cars. The Clio is my sensible car (it is afterall, quite heavy, has 5 doors, a boot, air con and heated seats!). I'd always go for something far less practical and lightweight as a 2nd car and really make the most of the difference between it and my daily.

If you're buying it as your only car, with the intention of doing trackdays, the the Megane is the better option. It's just got more grunt and the brakes are more suited to trackday use. I'd prefer a manual gearbox on a track too.
Offline BLADESBLOOD  
#12 Posted : 20 April 2017 17:56:12(UTC)
BLADESBLOOD

Thanks for all your help with the replies.Blimey it's a hard decision. If I'd never driven the Meg RS I suppose chosing a Clio would be easier.If I wasn't bothered about garaging it then the Meg would be an automatic choice infact
I'd still have my last 12,000 mile beauty :( But onwards and upwards, have to drive a Clio and then decide.Interesting
the positive gearbox comments when the tests on Utube all decry it. Currently running a stop-gap cooper s, first of the new Mini I've ever driven and it's bags of fun,been impressed.
Offline PeteTH  
#13 Posted : 20 April 2017 21:01:32(UTC)
PeteTH

I like small, high performance, high spec cars. I've had a series of RS Clios since they first launched; liked them all. Was a bit wary of going to the new auto/manual gearbox, but really like it. Leather, heated seats, Bose and lights are excellent, and significantly uprate previous RS specs. Poor visibility when reversing is my main issue; oh, and the horn sound is feeble! Would also have liked options of glass roof, silver alloys, and 4-wheel drive.
Offline RSaddict  
#14 Posted : 20 April 2017 21:23:33(UTC)
RSaddict

Oooh, 4 wheel drive, now that would grip like sh*t to a blanket! Albeit a slightly heavier car.

Like that idea a lot.
Offline BLADESBLOOD  
#15 Posted : 23 April 2017 16:42:57(UTC)
BLADESBLOOD

2015 220trophy in white which is the only colour i want, 10400 miles @ £14500 seems a decent price ? Wondering whether to take a punt on it.Suppose if I didn't like it I could re-sell easily enough ?
Offline sunnylunn  
#16 Posted : 23 April 2017 19:54:22(UTC)
sunnylunn

have you driven it? only way to know if if suits your needs or not.
Offline WB83  
#17 Posted : 24 April 2017 16:36:19(UTC)
WB83

If you want a similar level of fun and engagement to the Megane but with a smaller footprint then look at the previous gen Clio 200 with cup chassis. Much more fun with the n/a engine and manual gearbox.
Offline BLADESBLOOD  
#18 Posted : 28 April 2017 15:42:58(UTC)
BLADESBLOOD

Holding deposit just gone down on one Smile Going to see it Sunday.
Offline titian  
#19 Posted : 28 April 2017 17:34:33(UTC)
titian

Happy days, make sure you use sport mode, silver button next to the hand brake,even thou it's a Turbo I find it still likes to rev, paid 15,500 for my 65 plate 220 in November 4,000 miles only option monitor . Have you got a link to it?

Edited by user 28 April 2017 17:38:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline BLADESBLOOD  
#20 Posted : 28 April 2017 20:38:20(UTC)
BLADESBLOOD

Originally Posted by: titian Go to Quoted Post
Happy days, make sure you use sport mode, silver button next to the hand brake,even thou it's a Turbo I find it still likes to rev, paid 15,500 for my 65 plate 220 in November 4,000 miles only option monitor . Have you got a link to it?

I'll sort one out.It's white,10000 mile with the leather 1 piece seats in,reverse camera.nav etc. Not sure what's standard in Clio's and what are optionsConfused Think I'll enjoy it but time will tell. Get it to work and on a lift and give the brakes an etch prime and stuff.Any brief thoughts on engine issues etc ? Are they regarded as a strong unit like the Meg is or not ? Thought they may have had 4 pot calipers on the front but the road tests seem to rate the braking as good ?
You've all been a big help ta.
Offline titian  
#21 Posted : 28 April 2017 21:08:32(UTC)
titian

The brakes are from a Laguna, and really good, engine been in America for a few years, as far as I know it's good ,not heard of any problems