Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PaulR  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2017 16:54:24(UTC)
PaulR

Hiya,

I'm looking for a second opinion of sorts regarding the BOSE system on the 220 trophy.
I purchased the car new last week and I've noticed that the speaker on the passenger door and the tweeter on the passenger side are both emitting constant flickering static, loud enough that when the car's start stop kicks in and turns the engine off, can be heard from the drivers seat.
Now I booked the car into Renault Sunderland who looked at the issue and referred it to Renault support, who have advised them the static is "Normal operation"

This is a £350 optional extra and with the reputation BOSE has this comes as very surprising news, this noise is very annoying.

Has anybody experienced this, and more Importantly - what fixed it ?

I've been a lifelong Renaultsport owner and this is the first time I've bought a new Renaultsport, its a little disheartening that a brand I've put so much into so far has had issues like this along with;

Car arrived with a damaged rear alloy, but because it's not something I noticed before I collected the car, the garage is unable to help. I'm set to fork out £250 for a new alloy, which the garage has kindly offered to fit for free.

Paint covered in correction swirls from the factory, being Liquid Yellow I really wanted the paint protected professionally. Unfortunately the paint wasn't in good enough condition to protect and required a £200 correction before protection could be applied.

The nav unit's touchscreen become unresponsive after 3 days, after another day it put itself right - however it occasionally reloads the SD and plays with the speaker balance. The garage has reapplied the firmware to the unit.

Appreciate any feedback
Paul
Offline eccentric1  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2017 17:04:23(UTC)
eccentric1

HI Paul,
sorry to hear about all your problems, hope you get satisfactory resolution quickly.

I purchased a new 220 at the end of last November also with Bose and I'm delighted with it, no undue noise, rattles or squeeks from it. Not sure if it makes any difference but mine's LHD.
Also no navi / screen problems but if your speaker balance is being tampered with then maybe it's some kind of connected fault with the Bose?
Offline shocker  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2017 17:17:15(UTC)
shocker

I can only comment on the Ly paint as that's what my 200t came with
And I must say that there wasn't one swirl or mark in the paint from new
Your car was probably washed with a dirty sponge by a numpty apprentice before you picked it up
I wash clay bar and polish my car every month and after 3 1/2 years there still isn't a swirl in the Ly paint
Offline PaulR  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2017 17:31:43(UTC)
PaulR

Thanks for the replies, just as I suspected - it shouldn't be making noise !

Also regarding the paint, I explicitly left instructions to the garage not to clean the car, I'm confident this was the case as the car still had sticker residue from the protection pads on the paint and was quite dirty. The intention being my detailed would safe wash the car and move straight to protection.

My car was delayed by a week and sat in the import centre for an "SD card issue" so I'm not sure what the paint would have been subject to then unfortunately.
Offline PaulR  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2017 17:46:17(UTC)
PaulR

I'm not sure what the rules are on here regarding video links but this is the noise I'm putting up with, note this noise is present all of the time. When I video'd this I'd just opened the car and sat down.

Offline eccentric1  
#6 Posted : 05 May 2017 04:24:18(UTC)
eccentric1

I hear a faint noise there so think I understand what you mean, but is your system turned off?
Obviously I hear no radio or music so I'm just trying to understand when this happens so I can see for sure whether it also happens on mine.
Offline PaulR  
#7 Posted : 05 May 2017 08:26:31(UTC)
PaulR

Unfortunately it makes this noise all the time, radio on or off, engine on or off.
My phone does not pickup just how loud this is, if I'm driving with the radio off and the cars start stop kicks in - it's extremely irritating.

I know this isn't a noise it should be making, all the other speakers in the car are completely silent :(
Offline PaulR  
#8 Posted : 05 May 2017 08:35:14(UTC)
PaulR

A slightly better video, like I say the mic does not pickup how loud this is, with it also coming out of the speaker and the tweeter.
Offline eccentric1  
#9 Posted : 05 May 2017 08:49:12(UTC)
eccentric1

No, definitely not normal.
Offline PaulR  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2017 09:54:31(UTC)
PaulR

What would be the best way to get this sorted, I've already wasted one afternoon taking it back to the garage to be told "that's normal" when I know it isn't.
Offline Rem261  
#11 Posted : 05 May 2017 10:31:53(UTC)
Rem261

Hi Paul
My suggestion would be contacting RCS, I can only speak for myself but in my experience of dealing with them regarding previous issues with my 220 they have been fantastic .
At the end of the day you have a brand new car and if you have any issue the dealer shouldn't fob you off. I'm assuming they haven't another 220 in stock or a demo ? They would then see this is an issue with the Bose . I have the facelift 220 and no issue with the BOSE like yours . Good luck getting it sorted mate
Offline eccentric1  
#12 Posted : 05 May 2017 10:50:50(UTC)
eccentric1

Hi again Paul,
I just listened to your second recording (again) and what I hear is like a constant faint clicking or scratching noise, if my Clio is normal then yours certainly isn't. I do not have any of this noise at any time.

I also just went out to my Clio and tried various things:
As soon as I get into the Clio the LED screen bursts into life, more so when I put the keycard into the slot. At this point I haven't started the car, but I do get a faint background humming which is nothing like your noise. This happens regardless of whether the infotainment system is switched on, muted or switched off, but then again this humming is nothing to do with the speakers. It seems to be coming somewhere from within .... general (engine?) electronic systems perhaps?
It certainly doesn't come from the speakers!

Your noise sounds almost like a shorting cable although I doubt it is that.

A question; If you increase the music / radio volume does this sound get worse or is it covered up? Do you have any other (related?) quality issues with the sound?

As Rem261 suggests if your dealers isn't giving satisfactory service / help go directly to customer services, perhaps one of the Renault chaps on the forum can give you specific contaact details?
Again, good luck with all these problems.
Offline PaulR  
#13 Posted : 05 May 2017 11:20:19(UTC)
PaulR

Thanks for the advice and help so far, I've contacted Customer Serived and spoke to a lovely lady called Megan. Hopefully she can progress the issue for me.

Eccentric1 - I also get the noise form the engine bay, I believe it's the throttle body/fuel pump which is normal (if a bit noisy) but to be honest it currently drowns out the noise form the speaker.

I agree it sounds like electrical interference, and with it being on both the speaker and tweeter - I'd say it's located in the dash where the crossover is. Or worse case the AMP itself.

The noise does not increase with the radio, it's just constantly present at that level all the time.
Offline eccentric1  
#14 Posted : 05 May 2017 11:42:40(UTC)
eccentric1

With the Bose my amp is external, under the floor of the boot.

Megan? Nice and appropriate name for someone in Renault CS :-)
Offline DanRS220  
#15 Posted : 08 May 2017 08:20:51(UTC)
DanRS220

Hi PaulR

I also have this issue on my facelift 220 trophy bought brand new in March with the Bose system. It's just as you described in your post as soon as I open the door without doing anything the passenger speaker will be making that flickering sound which is incredibly annoying and quite loud on mine.

I have taken the car back to Renault Orpington who have changed the speaker unit in the passenger door which did absolutely nothing. They checked a demo trophy 220 with the Bose system which does also make that flickering static sound from the passenger speaker.

Renault Orpington have said and I quote "It's a characteristic of the car" and have basically fobbed me off and will no longer help me.

At the Bose store in Bluewater a helpful staff member suggested that the issue might lie within the amp or the r-link unit itself as the speaker is only playing the sound/signal it is receiving from either the amp or r-link unit? Might be onto something there as the passenger speaker on mine was changed.

If you manage to make any progress please do update me as this is driving me insane and I can't not un hear it!

I would appreciate it if you can provide any details/numbers of the customer service teams you have contacted as I would like to contact them as well so they are aware that this is not an isolated issue.

Edited by user 08 May 2017 09:23:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RED21  
#16 Posted : 08 May 2017 17:53:44(UTC)
RED21

I would update the R-Link software to the latest version which is 8039 first.
Also de pair your phone and disconnect any other media and then try.
Offline DanRS220  
#17 Posted : 08 May 2017 18:16:09(UTC)
DanRS220

Done the same as PaulR, unlocked the car and opened the door and this is the sound the passenger speaker makes. Engine was not turned on and the card was not in the slot so the radio and ignition were off.

R-Link software has been updated but the issue remains

Offline PaulR  
#18 Posted : 12 May 2017 09:17:53(UTC)
PaulR

It's relieving yet worrying to see I'm not the only one with this issue.
I've had the firmware reapplied at the garage and the issue is much the same, interesting we have the issue on the same side of the car. Does your tweeter also emit the noise ?

Like you say once you hear the noise, it annoys the hell out of you.
I called 0344 335 0000 - I'm happy for you to mention this does not seem to be isolated and use myself for reference, my case is being managed by Megan - names Paul Ross.

Cars booked back in at the garage on the 12th to have it looked at.
Offline eccentric1  
#19 Posted : 12 May 2017 09:31:08(UTC)
eccentric1

It would be interesting to hear from any more 220 owners with the Bose system to see if it is a widespread issue.
As I mentioned mine has absolutely no issue so my next thought is whether this is specific to RHD cars as I really think it's a wiring problem.

I'm in Germany and have LHD.

Edited by user 12 May 2017 09:32:10(UTC)  | Reason: RHD

Offline PaulR  
#20 Posted : 12 May 2017 09:49:09(UTC)
PaulR

Agreed it would be helpful to see another trophy with the BOSE equipment fitted.
I've reached out to BOSE automotive themselves asking for their perspective, doubtful I will get response but thought it was worth a try.
Offline sunnylunn  
#21 Posted : 12 May 2017 12:54:35(UTC)
sunnylunn

Ive got the Bose system and don't have any of the problems reported, good luck in getting it sorted, always annoying to have a problem with a new car and dealer unwilling/unable to sort it out.
Offline DanRS220  
#22 Posted : 15 May 2017 07:14:46(UTC)
DanRS220

Thanks Paul, keep me posted on how you got on with the dealer on the 12th.
Yes the tweeter on mine does emit that noise as well.
Offline PaulR  
#23 Posted : 12 June 2017 15:53:59(UTC)
PaulR

Car went in today, estimated 1 week before I get it back. Getting by in a 1.2 :(
Offline DanRS220  
#24 Posted : 12 June 2017 18:13:53(UTC)
DanRS220

Mine went in today as Renault technical have advised Renault Orpington two areas of the sound system to check. Sorry forgot which areas these are, will update once I ask!

Long story short they have checked these areas of the sound system and unfortunately the issue still persists.

However Orpington did say that they have checked a Zoe and Kadjar and these cars did faintly make the hissing sound from the passenger door speaker but only occurred on vehicles with R-Link. They also tried a 2017 RS 200 with MediaNav and this vehicle was not making the sound. Not sure I agree with this as the Trophy comes with R-Link as standard and we know from this forum that fellow Trophy owners do not have this problem. I would be keen to hear feedback from other owners.

Please do keep me updated as I' am too plodding along in a Clio Expression :(
Offline PaulR  
#25 Posted : 12 June 2017 21:29:12(UTC)
PaulR

Ugh lovely, I discovered recently it's actually all of the speakers on the left side of the car, the rear speaker also makes the noise. For me that rules out wiring and speakers, leaving only the headunit or the AMP.
I'm hoping it's quickly resolved, I'm slowing going mad with this engine, i do a lot of motorway miles and I find myself hoping for a tailwind ...