Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2017 07:08:13(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Hi,i have a LY Clio 200 atm,and thinking maybe in the future of finding a low-ish mileage good condition R26...ive never owned a turbo and the more mature aspect of the Megane appeals to me.

Is this a reasonable upgrade and how hard is it to find good,well looked example of the R26 nowadays? Im looking at maybe a 6K budget...

Edited by user 18 May 2017 07:26:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline skny  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2017 09:22:47(UTC)
skny


Posts: 533

Owning a R27, I personally wouldnt go for a R26, had a ride in one and to be honest it doesnt feel faster at all...
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2017 09:47:14(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Originally Posted by: skny Go to Quoted Post
Owning a R27, I personally wouldnt go for a R26, had a ride in one and to be honest it doesnt feel faster at all...


Im not too bothered about it feeling faster,im more thinking about more comfort in commuting everyday,my 200 with the induction/akrapovic is a real beast on B roads but its not great for commuting hehe - you only get certain moments to enjoy it!

I looked at 250/265 but to get a decent one youre looking at 8/10K still - plus i dont really like the look of them,they dont look 'sporty' enough for me....it might be something il consider in my 40's LOL

Another option would be a 350Z.
Offline Georgeski  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2017 09:59:59(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

I think it's a worthwhile upgrade - mapped they are significantly fatter and the R26 also has a LSD. Depending on the spec of your Clio I think the R26 interior is better too.
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2017 10:08:37(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
I think it's a worthwhile upgrade - mapped they are significantly fatter and the R26 also has a LSD. Depending on the spec of your Clio I think the R26 interior is better too.


Yeah,problem is theyre around 10 years old now,so finding a decent one will be harder....theres a mint looking red one on Autotrader for £6.5K.



Offline Georgeski  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2017 10:17:28(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

Originally Posted by: Yorkshire_LY Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
I think it's a worthwhile upgrade - mapped they are significantly fatter and the R26 also has a LSD. Depending on the spec of your Clio I think the R26 interior is better too.


Yeah,problem is theyre around 10 years old now,so finding a decent one will be harder....theres a mint looking red one on Autotrader for £6.5K.





The only way to really find out is have a look at a few and see whether you think it is an upgrade or not.
Offline Georgeski  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2017 10:19:07(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

There are well looked after examples out there and you should be able to secure one with £6k.
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2017 10:25:11(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
There are well looked after examples out there and you should be able to secure one with £6k.


cheers...are belts 4 years on these?
Offline Georgeski  
#9 Posted : 18 May 2017 10:31:18(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

I'm pretty certain it's every 5 years.
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#10 Posted : 18 May 2017 10:35:29(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
I'm pretty certain it's every 5 years.


ah ok,so its around 2nd belt change time now - il keep my eyes peeled for good exaxmples.

Im happy with the 200,its just the blasted flat spot/kangarooing issue hehe.

Offline Georgeski  
#11 Posted : 18 May 2017 11:28:31(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

Originally Posted by: Yorkshire_LY Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
I'm pretty certain it's every 5 years.


ah ok,so its around 2nd belt change time now - il keep my eyes peeled for good exaxmples.

Im happy with the 200,its just the blasted flat spot/kangarooing issue hehe.



It's a shame you are about two weeks too late as mine was up for sale and I believe that mechanically it was one of the best if not the best out there........
Offline John_walker74  
#12 Posted : 18 May 2017 13:47:05(UTC)
John_walker74


Posts: 815
Location: Buckingham

I sort of miss my 200....
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#13 Posted : 18 May 2017 14:02:26(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Originally Posted by: John_walker74 Go to Quoted Post
I sort of miss my 200....


Its always the case hehe,ive only just got my 200 a month ago - from a 19 year old who couldnt afford the £3500 insurance!

I came from a titanium 182,which i had 9 years.

Offline Steve Murr  
#14 Posted : 18 May 2017 17:00:04(UTC)
Steve Murr


Posts: 418

I have a mint R26 instock from next week
Would be able to do a PX on the 200

Steve
Offline Black225  
#15 Posted : 18 May 2017 18:52:48(UTC)
Black225


Posts: 1,033
Location: On The Edge

I think it's a worthwhile swap, in my opinion, the engine on the 200 is a bit flat when compared to a lightly tuned 225/230. Not so much difference as standard, especially on track, but the meg is more usable on road and has much more potential.

It is tricky to find a nice low mileage example now, took me a while to find mine when I was looking last year. For what it's worth, I think there are plenty of cheap ones out there, but if you want a good one you'll probably have to pay more than 6k for it, unless you get very lucky.
Of course a lot will depend on what your definition of good, and low mileage is.
Offline probecomp  
#16 Posted : 18 May 2017 20:10:37(UTC)
probecomp


Posts: 788

Originally Posted by: Yorkshire_LY Go to Quoted Post
Im not too bothered about it feeling faster,im more thinking about more comfort in commuting everyday,my 200 with the induction/akrapovic is a real beast on B roads but its not great for commuting hehe - you only get certain moments to enjoy it!


Having driven both (and owning an R26) I can tell you will find the R26 a much more comfortable prospect... If that's your goal, go for it, you won't regret it.

It will still put a smile on your face when you floor it - just hold that steering wheel tight Wink
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#17 Posted : 19 May 2017 06:59:22(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Originally Posted by: Steve Murr Go to Quoted Post
I have a mint R26 instock from next week
Would be able to do a PX on the 200

Steve


Any details on it mate?
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#18 Posted : 19 May 2017 07:01:37(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Originally Posted by: Black225 Go to Quoted Post
I think it's a worthwhile swap, in my opinion, the engine on the 200 is a bit flat when compared to a lightly tuned 225/230. Not so much difference as standard, especially on track, but the meg is more usable on road and has much more potential.

It is tricky to find a nice low mileage example now, took me a while to find mine when I was looking last year. For what it's worth, I think there are plenty of cheap ones out there, but if you want a good one you'll probably have to pay more than 6k for it, unless you get very lucky.
Of course a lot will depend on what your definition of good, and low mileage is.


Around 50-60K would be ok,just looking at it being really well looked after by an enthusiast - seen quite a few tatty ones online..

Ive heard they are more expensive to service than clios? (also price of tyres,pads etc?)

Offline Georgeski  
#19 Posted : 19 May 2017 08:16:32(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

They are not anymore expensive to service or for consumables - most of the stuff is the same e.g. oil, fluids, brake pads, discs etc
Offline probecomp  
#20 Posted : 19 May 2017 08:35:49(UTC)
probecomp


Posts: 788

As Georgeski says, service costs are about the same as most of the parts are the same...
Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#21 Posted : 19 May 2017 09:11:20(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

The only downside is,after all these years - i STILL dont like that rear end.. Approve
Offline Georgeski  
#22 Posted : 19 May 2017 09:19:37(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

I didn't when it was new, but think it is a really good looking car now.
Offline Georgeski  
#23 Posted : 19 May 2017 09:21:58(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

Offline Yorkshire_LY  
#24 Posted : 19 May 2017 12:16:31(UTC)
Yorkshire_LY


Posts: 55

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
I didn't when it was new, but think it is a really good looking car now.


Theres no flat spot/kangarooing issue is there with them,like the 200?
Offline Georgeski  
#25 Posted : 19 May 2017 12:57:51(UTC)
Georgeski


Posts: 4,015

Originally Posted by: Yorkshire_LY Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
I didn't when it was new, but think it is a really good looking car now.


Theres no flat spot/kangarooing issue is there with them,like the 200?


Definitely not.
Users browsing this topic
4 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.