Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Penn  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2017 17:35:11(UTC)
Penn

So it finally arrived after a long wait, I'm extremely impressed so far. Not done many miles but have already experienced the phenomenal economy.

Few pics are below and I'll try and write some bits on it as I go through ownership. Running in period is 1200 miles so will be a few weeks until I can really test the performance.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Georgeski  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2017 18:15:21(UTC)
Georgeski

Looks nice Penn. What sort of economy are you getting?
Offline Penn  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2017 18:47:26(UTC)
Penn

Overall after 60 miles I'm sitting at 83mpg. Haven't really done full charge/journey cycles yet so no idea what the real economy is. Still bloody impressive given the performance of it.
Offline MrVix  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2017 18:54:21(UTC)
MrVix

I love the look of those seats PennBig Smile

BMW are hard to beat on the economy front, I am now averaging a shade over 40mpg in the 640, not in your league but not bad for a nigh on 2 tonne barge that can get to 60 in a shade over 5 seconds.

EnjoyBig Smile

Offline Georgeski  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:10:10(UTC)
Georgeski

Yes, their engines are a step ahead of the competition. A guy I used to work for was a senior manager in Jaguar and Ford and they cost rivals cars to see what percentage of overall cost each part of the car is - he always said that BMW's engine cost represented a much higher percentage of overall cost than any other manufacturer in that sector, also interesting Audi spent considerably less on suspension........

Edited by user 08 June 2017 19:14:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrVix  
#6 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:14:41(UTC)
MrVix

Quite agree Georgeski, BMW make some fabulous engines, if you could get a hybrid of Audi Interior and BMW engines it would be nigh on perfect.

Having said that I think the Merc 4.0 V8 knocks spots off of the 6 pot in the M3Smile
Offline Georgeski  
#7 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:16:18(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post
Quite agree Georgeski, BMW make some fabulous engines, if you could get a hybrid of Audi Interior and BMW engines it would be nigh on perfect.

Having said that I think the Merc 4.0 V8 knocks spots off of the 6 pot in the M3Smile

The new M3 CS is meant to be superb, but at a significant premium!

I'm still loving the E92 V8 though.
Offline MrVix  
#8 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:22:11(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post

It will still be the ubiquitous 6 pot in the CS though albeit in a slightly different guise, it certainly had plenty of power but it lacked the Merc V8s character.

Your E92 V8 is in a different league though, maybe one of the finest engines ever produced, the likes of which we are unlikely to see againCry
Offline Georgeski  
#9 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:29:01(UTC)
Georgeski

It will still be the ubiquitous 6 pot in the CS though albeit in a slightly different guise, it certainly had plenty of power but it lacked the Merc V8s character.

Your E92 V8 is in a different league though, maybe one of the finest engines ever produced, the likes of which we are unlikely to see againCry

Yes, still the same 6pot but with more power and a fruiter exhaust.

You're right about never seeing an engine like that V8 again, it's awesome! I think it is derived from an F1 engine BMW were producing at the time.
Offline Penn  
#10 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:34:46(UTC)
Penn

I love the look of those seats PennBig Smile

BMW are hard to beat on the economy front, I am now averaging a shade over 40mpg in the 640, not in your league but not bad for a nigh on 2 tonne barge that can get to 60 in a shade over 5 seconds.

EnjoyBig Smile

Absolutely, this one is about 1800kg and hits 62mph in 6.1 along with real world 80+mpg. No idea how they do it!
Offline Marc_250  
#11 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:39:04(UTC)
Marc_250

I would have thought the only relationship between it and the F1 engines were the marketing tbh! Think it started with the V10 M5 which was designed when F1 was still racing the 3.0l V10s but the displacement,rpm and probably everything baring the badge would have been very different.
Offline Georgeski  
#12 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:57:01(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
I would have thought the only relationship between it and the F1 engines were the marketing tbh! Think it started with the V10 M5 which was designed when F1 was still racing the 3.0l V10s but the displacement,rpm and probably everything baring the badge would have been very different.

Possibly, the V8 is the M5 V10 with two cylinders lopped off.
Offline Georgeski  
#13 Posted : 08 June 2017 20:05:19(UTC)
Georgeski

Some basic Internet research seems to be very quiet on the motorsport link - interestingly though it was International Engine of the Year for 5 years in a row and the ECU can do 200 million calculations a second.

Edited by user 08 June 2017 20:07:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Penn  
#14 Posted : 09 June 2017 17:37:41(UTC)
Penn

Took it out last night for a decent country road blast and it felt superb. So good being in a rear drive car again and even though I couldn't push it too much, the sense of urgency was obvious.

I'm already getting significantly better economy than the diesel Skoda on my commute which I find incredible, especially as I'm unable to charge it at work.

Absolutely over the moon with it and I can't stress how normal it feels.
Offline titian  
#15 Posted : 09 June 2017 18:45:45(UTC)
titian

How do you find the steering ,I found it odd , mine was a 2 year old 330d ,which I got rid 6 months ago. I never had any confidence in it ,understeer ,floaty back end. Definitely not the ultimate driving machine for me.
Offline titian  
#16 Posted : 09 June 2017 18:46:54(UTC)
titian

How do you find the steering ,I found it odd , mine was a 2 year old 330d ,which I got rid 6 months ago. I never had any confidence in it ,understeer ,floaty back end. Definitely not the ultimate driving machine for me.
Offline MrVix  
#17 Posted : 09 June 2017 19:34:18(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: titian Go to Quoted Post

I had similar feelings about the M135i, it felt very disjointed at the back end, there was little under steer but it certainly never inspired me with confidence. I suspect Georgski and Kirsty will say differently as previous owners but I was never inspired.

To be fair though a 330d is a different kettle of fish and is more comfort orientated, if you have a waz in an M3 you will certainly notice the difference.
Offline Penn  
#18 Posted : 09 June 2017 19:54:02(UTC)
Penn

Seems fine to me but it's not even run in yet so I'll have to take a view in a few weeks when it's ran in and I can drive it hard.
Offline Roblynn1977  
#19 Posted : 09 June 2017 20:32:39(UTC)
Roblynn1977

458 Speciale is the best V8 ever you can keep your German pretenders
Offline Georgeski  
#20 Posted : 10 June 2017 05:53:46(UTC)
Georgeski

I think unfortunately that's due to it being a diesel. Too much weight over the front axle!
Offline Penn  
#21 Posted : 29 June 2017 18:42:16(UTC)
Penn

Quick update. I'm completely sold, adore the car.

Have now done 1300 miles so it's fully run in and I've taken it on some fairly quick drives, massively impressed with the performance. Having the battery torque fill and boost power creates a sensational feeling of never ending pull. Even accelerating hard past 90 there is no let up at all.

It's the ability to switch between pure electric silence through the village 30 zones and then really have an angry, great sounding and handling performance car that has utterly sold me and a number of my friends and family. The way the car automatically goes from electric to petrol is black magic and using the coasting and braking regeneration becomes a skilled mini game of driving.

On my commute of 30 miles each way I'm returning between 88-109mpg with a full battery on the way and between 50-56 mpg on the return journey with only 10% battery left. Getting 500+ miles out of a 40 litre tank of unleaded is rather bizarre.

If the 3 series didn't have the stonking 4 pot petrol engine, great interior and great chassis, I'd be writing a different post and I truly believe this is where VW struggle with their GTE range. As a complete package, this is in my opinion verging on the perfect every day, best of both worlds car for a petrolhead.

I will not be buying a diesel ever again and I urge anyone wanting an executive sports saloon/economical & engaging family car to try a 330e.
Offline Marc_250  
#22 Posted : 29 June 2017 19:08:33(UTC)
Marc_250

Seen a few posts/articles about the all electric breed taking massive depreciation hits (due to them been out of date in a year and batteries etc).

Doesn't sound like this is an issue with the 330e but is there anything like the battery or complex tech that might make then fall like a stone after a few years? Appreciate finance can avoid any unexpected things like this!
Offline MrVix  
#23 Posted : 29 June 2017 19:12:09(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Seen a few posts/articles about the all electric breed taking massive depreciation hits (due to them been out of date in a year and batteries etc).

Doesn't sound like this is an issue with the 330e but is there anything like the battery or complex tech that might make then fall like a stone after a few years? Appreciate finance can avoid any unexpected things like this!

I suspect BMW will have a handle on reliability and residuals.

I think these types of setups are going to be the way ahead for the more mundane cars but what concerns me is the weight, the 330E is not a lot lighter than my 640d GCShocked
Offline Penn  
#24 Posted : 29 June 2017 19:26:27(UTC)
Penn

Residuals appear to be OK at the moment but time will tell. Can't see it losing more than 330i which is the closest performance wise but can't compete on economy.

I don't feel the weight on the 330e, it's just over 1700kg I believe. Has no detriment to performance or economy within the current market so I haven't even thought about it.

Feels lighter than my old C250d estate even though it's slightly heavier I think.
Offline Georgeski  
#25 Posted : 29 June 2017 19:56:53(UTC)
Georgeski

Sounds good. I didn't realise that the electric motors provided torque fill, I thought that was the preserve of supercars like the P1, but I suppose it isn't particularly difficult to deliver on cars like this.

Completely agree with your comment regarding the interior, it's very subjective as it's personal taste, but I much prefer the interior of BMW's over their competition.