Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online del115  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2018 10:09:45(UTC)
del115

I have moved this to my soon to be new home in the Mégane section of the forum

Firstly I should announce that I have once again become a 'proper' driver and opted to return to a manual gearbox.
tbh I have thouroughly enoyed my 4+ years with the flappy Clio both on the road and the track where the driving style, once adapted, I found to be quite rewarding.
Of course the cup option not being available on the Meg EDC and the lure of a free upgrade on the manual may have swayed my decision processing a bit but I guess I will never really know which way I may have gone if a choice had een available.

Waiting for the Trophy version was never on my horizon.
Not sure yet whether I can handle 280bhp let alone 300 and of course the car will be a lot more track focused with the compromise being I suspect on the comfort of the ride which as you will note from my spec ahs, in my advanced years, become justa as important as being able to hoon round a track.

So my spec which as ever found me ticking far too many boxes....
Cup Chassis - FREE, no brainer
Volcanic Orange - Really like this, quite understated in a standout way
Alcantara Pack - A little bit of luxury
Alcantara S/Wheel - A must have if choosing the pack IMHO
BOSE Speakers - My ears need all the help they can get
Monitor Expert - A step up with built in hard drive and now 40 sensors to read
R-Link 2 - 8.7" screen, shows more monitor info
Bi-Metal Discs - For the track, I do like a bit of late braking
19" Interlagos Black - Not sure about 19's but wanted black
Rear Parking Camera - Got used to this in the Clio, a useful aid in a much wider car
S/S Spare Wheel - At last, no more having to carry a full size wheel in the boot
Visio System - Full LED and a welcome return to spot and cornering lights

Of the above I would consider Bi-Metal Discs, R-Link 2, Monitor Expert, Visio System and S/S Spare Wheel as the necessary options which with the cup option being free means you can get the car for a quite remarkable £29,455.00
If like me however you decide to pamper yourself you would need to spend £34,305.00
First VED and Reg fee adds a further £700.00 to the above prices.

I have been successfully parking for the fast 50 years so did not opt for the auto park, lane detect etc gizmo.
Also declined the adaptive cruise - I guess I am probably more reliant on driver aids than I relaise but I am not yet ready for a car that decides when I should slow down.

The only toy missing is the heads-up display which is not available on UK cars.
Not really a necessity of course but I would have probably selected it had it been an option.

All in all pleased with my choices and now looking forward to July

Edited by user 22 May 2018 11:19:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline foxspeed  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2018 10:14:15(UTC)
foxspeed

excellent enjoy Cool Cool Cool
Offline Georgeski  
#3 Posted : 05 May 2018 10:20:03(UTC)
Georgeski

Nice, will be good to hear what you think of it 👍
Offline g7egt  
#4 Posted : 05 May 2018 11:19:11(UTC)
g7egt

Good work Del thanks for sharing. BTW I've seen you on a few tracks and your certainly know how to pedal so you'll be more than a match for the new 280.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2018 11:23:43(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Sounds a lovely spec
Offline Black225  
#6 Posted : 05 May 2018 12:19:50(UTC)
Black225

Great spec, all the essentials present. Enjoy.
Offline Marc_250  
#7 Posted : 05 May 2018 12:56:27(UTC)
Marc_250

Looks like it's going to pretty much fully loaded. Will be nice.

£900 for the upgraded front rotors does seem a bit much, wouldn't taking the free rotors and spending 900 quid on aftermarket be worth a look? Wonder what the parts cost from Renault?

Fair play for going for a top spec but for me I think it could overlap with the Trophy a bit too much from a price pov.
Offline FramerateUK  
#8 Posted : 05 May 2018 13:55:56(UTC)
FramerateUK

Ordered mine today too.

Didn't bother with the bi-material brakes or the vizio system - I was unware there much was difference in the lights themselves? I'll stick without it though as the lane departure system would drive me nuts....
Online del115  
#9 Posted : 05 May 2018 14:08:50(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like it's going to pretty much fully loaded. Will be nice.

£900 for the upgraded front rotors does seem a bit much, wouldn't taking the free rotors and spending 900 quid on aftermarket be worth a look? Wonder what the parts cost from Renault?

Fair play for going for a top spec but for me I think it could overlap with the Trophy a bit too much from a price pov.

Have to admit the rotors were a bit of a punt as I have only seen photos and could not get the full spec of the bi-metal option other than they had been developed for the car in collaboration with Brembo.
Quite a significant weight saving so obviously some type of allow for the bell.
Whether they are fully floating or some other form of construction (bolts/rivets) I know not - will be part of my first report.
Expensive? maybe a little, depends on the construction.
After market bolted are around £5-600 with fully floating £7-800.

Pricing synergies between the two models will be interesting.
History tells us the Trophy will probably be a little lower and a little firmer with, as we already know, a bit more power.
My suspicion would be that the entry price of the Trophy will be a tad higher than the current model.
It will by default come with the cup chassis so no 'free' early bird incentive available.
The rest will be down to the options, based I guess on Renault's target market - TD focused or wide appeal.
And of course you will need to wait until 2019 to get your hands on one.

For me I feel I am nicely in the middle ground with the boy racer parts for when I need a boost of adrenaline on the one hand and the creature comforts which I require and indeed deserve at my time of life.
Offline eccentric1  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2018 14:15:22(UTC)
eccentric1

The UK pricing is pretty much as I found here in Germany, certainly in a comparison between Del's and what I priced up. The only extras I included to push it up to €41K were a second set of wheels (18") with winter tyres and the full 5y service pack.

In Germany the pricelist definitely states the Cup Pack (chassis, red calipers, LSD) can only be ordered with the extra option of bi-material discs as a pre-requisite.
Online del115  
#11 Posted : 05 May 2018 14:16:58(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post
Ordered mine today too.

Didn't bother with the bi-material brakes or the vizio system - I was unware there much was difference in the lights themselves? I'll stick without it though as the lane departure system would drive me nuts....

Great stuff, always exciting and frustrating when waiting after ordering a new car.

I think you will find that the lane departure stuff is part of the Easy Pack or Safety Pack.

Visio is purely lighting which I am informed gives the option of spot lights and cornering lights when night lighting is switched on.
Offline Penn  
#12 Posted : 05 May 2018 14:35:52(UTC)
Penn

Great choice, that’s a very nice spec you’ve opted for.

Adaptive cruise is pointless on a manual car so good shout skipping it.
Offline FramerateUK  
#13 Posted : 05 May 2018 14:38:42(UTC)
FramerateUK

I may need to check that...

the safety pack doesn't mention lane departure, but if you look up Renault Visio you get this:

I think I'll stick with my current choices though.

Manual, Cup, Bose, Alcantara pack and wheel, Monitor Export, Flame Red, Black 19" wheels, RLink2 and the reversing Camera.

Looks like we both have a bit of a wait for the next few months! :)
Online del115  
#14 Posted : 05 May 2018 14:45:53(UTC)
del115

Looks like I may have received a it of mis-information there then.

I wonder if it can be switched off?

May phone the dealer and have it removed - like you I feel the beeping would drive me mad although auto dipping of the lights is one less thing to do.
I wonder how it copes when driving on the continent?

Offline FramerateUK  
#15 Posted : 05 May 2018 14:52:34(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like I may have received a it of mis-information there then.

I wonder if it can be switched off?

May phone the dealer and have it removed - like you I feel the beeping would drive me mad although auto dipping of the lights is one less thing to do.
I wonder how it copes when driving on the continent?

The salesman didn't seem to think so. But yeah I just didn't want constant warnings, though I do love the idea of the auto dipping lights.

I'm sure it must be intelligent enough to work the direction out?

I was the first person who went in to buy one so while the dealer had been following the updates, they only had the full spec out yesterday.

I'll be sad to see my Clio Trophy go too, but I just didn't fall in love with it like my Megane 250. I found the Megane was always a bit of fun, while the Clio needs to be driven very hard to appreciate it (and to make the most of the gearbox).
Offline RSaddict  
#16 Posted : 06 May 2018 19:45:13(UTC)
RSaddict

Looks a very nice spec you’ve ordered. Must admit, had the recaro interior been available now I would have been joining you for the free cup pack... paying for the cup pack will be my penance for waiting for recaro interior!!
Offline Bilbo  
#17 Posted : 06 May 2018 20:45:56(UTC)
Bilbo

The bi material discs will be very similar to the trophy r upgrade discs I assume ? They are very good on the track and easily take a hard day out at thruxton so well worth the upgrade but I bet they are proper pricey to replace
Offline Repair&Restore  
#18 Posted : 07 May 2018 08:18:31(UTC)
Repair&Restore

I have ordered my new Megane on Saturday with an expected delivery date of 3/7/18
I have gone for-
Manual
Cup Pack (foc)
Safety pack
Bose Stereo
Monitor Expert
Volcanic Orange
Alcantara pack and steering wheel
19" Black wheels
Reversing Camera
Rlink 2 8.7" display
Sun roof
Full size spare wheel (why not just keep it in the garage)

Edited by user 07 May 2018 08:31:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Buffalo Girls  
#19 Posted : 07 May 2018 08:36:30(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

All nice specs ordered. Well done
Online del115  
#20 Posted : 07 May 2018 09:34:01(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: Repair& Go to Quoted Post
I have ordered my new Megane on Saturday with an expected delivery date of 3/7/18
I have gone for-
Manual
Cup Pack (foc)
Safety pack
Bose Stereo
Monitor Expert
Volcanic Orange
Alcantara pack and steering wheel
19" Black wheels
Reversing Camera
Rlink 2 8.7" display
Sun roof
Full size spare wheel (why not just keep it in the garage)

That is a nice spec.
Volcanic orange, if you have not seen it, really suits the car - striking in its own way but not quite as 'in your face' as liquid yellow.

I wonder when deliveries will actually start, yours is quite early.
All the available UK cars, approx 12, I saw on the dealers system where currently destined for completion on week 20 (16 July).
Dealer put 1st July on my order but did say this was more in hope than expectation - Never know perhaps if enough UK orders are received, 4 on here already, it will encourage Renault to bring production forward.

Intrigued by you 'full size spare kept in garage', think I'll stick with space saver in the car.
Offline FramerateUK  
#21 Posted : 08 May 2018 07:19:37(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post

Intrigued by you 'full size spare kept in garage', think I'll stick with space saver in the car.

I like having a full size spare so I can refurbish any wheels I've hit without having the car out of action.

This was easy with my old 250 Cup thanks to the satin wheels. It's been impossible with the Clio due to the diamond cup edges, but at least you can just take a single wheel to a repairer rather than the whole car.
Offline DanF  
#22 Posted : 08 May 2018 18:23:27(UTC)
DanF

Very nice Del. I’m very jealous... 👍🏻 Enjoy.
Offline Sprocker  
#23 Posted : 08 May 2018 21:01:44(UTC)
Sprocker

Regarding the full size spare wheel, does anyone know if it robs some boot space or is the wheel well deep enough to keep the floor nice and flat?

On another note, we've just watched a French review on YouTube with a titanium grey rs, didn't have a clue what he was saying but it confirmed that I've made the right choice of colour, for me anyway, it looks gorgeous, deep with decent size metal flakes. Can't wait to get detailing.
Offline FramerateUK  
#24 Posted : 09 May 2018 07:33:41(UTC)
FramerateUK

Interestingly there's a second hand grey one up in France already (!):
https://www.reezocar.com...ZCLCTLFR69102249291.html

As far as I'm aware the spare wheel fits properly into the boot. If you spec the Bose stereo, the amp/sub goes in there instead so you can't have a spare wheel.
Offline rob.e  
#25 Posted : 09 May 2018 07:36:16(UTC)
rob.e

Originally Posted by: Sprocker Go to Quoted Post

On another note, we've just watched a French review on YouTube with a titanium grey rs, didn't have a clue what he was saying but it confirmed that I've made the right choice of colour, for me anyway, it looks gorgeous, deep with decent size metal flakes. Can't wait to get detailing.

@sprocket - can you post a link to the youtube? tia.