On best laps which decide race one’s starting grid order, Hanafin pipped Marzorati by just seven thousandths of a second around the Kent venue’s 1.2-mile Indy circuit configuration.
He also secured pole for race two’s grid – decided by each driver’s second best lap time – with Marzorati again next up. The gap between them this time was a mere 0.034s as just eight tenths of a second in all covered both grids.
Hanafin’s two poles at Brands Hatch mean he has now qualified fastest for three out of four races so far. They also give him a strong chance of getting back into the title hunt after an exclusion from one of Snetterton's opening two rounds a fortnight ago left him 34 points adrift of joint leaders Marzorati and WDE Motorsport’s Connor Grady…
Meanwhile JamSport Racing’s Gus Burton and MRM Racing’s Jack Young qualified third and fourth fastest for Brands Hatch opening race (the gap between this pair 0.017s).
JamSport’s Ethan Hammerton (only 0.019s further behind) and Grady were next up. A day after announcing he’d signed with Pyro to race in the championship, Harry Gooding took seventh on the grid with JamSport’s Louis Doyle in eighth – just 0.818s from pole.
Behind Hanafin and Marzorati the order for race two’s grid will read Young, Hammerton, Burton, Grady, Gooding and Doyle – the difference between them all this time 0.800s.
Sunday’s two races – rounds three and four of the new championship – will take place at 12:35 and 16:25.
Starting grid, Round 3, Renault UK Clio Cup Junior, Brands Hatch Indy:
1. Lorcan Hanafin (Team Pyro), 57.083s
2. Max Marzorati (Team Pyro), +0.007s
3. Gus Burton (JamSport Racing), +0.253s
4. Jack Young (MRM Racing), +0.270s
5. Ethan Hammerton (JamSport Racing), +0.289s
6. Connor Grady (WDE Motorsport), +0.639s
7. Harry Gooding (Team Pyro), +0.763s
8. Louis Doyle (JamSport Racing), +0.818s
Starting grid, Round 4, Renault UK Clio Cup Junior, Brands Hatch Indy:
1. Lorcan Hanafin (Team Pyro), 57.126s
2. Max Marzorati (Team Pyro), +0.034s
3. Jack Young (MRM Racing), +0.239s
4. Ethan Hammerton (JamSport Racing), +0.297s
5. Gus Burton (JamSport Racing), +0.312s
6. Connor Grady (WDE Motorsport), +0.599s
7. Harry Gooding (Team Pyro), +0.768s
8. Louis Doyle (JamSport Racing), +0.800s