Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline WB83  
#26 Posted : 14 June 2011 10:06:33(UTC)
WB83


Posts: 3,041

p.s. Make sure you ride before you buy!! Can be easy to be tempted by an internet deal but until you ride the thing you won't have a clue whether you like it or it suits you. Its a great sport though so whatever you get you will have a blast :)

Offline Hughsie  
#27 Posted : 15 June 2011 16:54:44(UTC)
Hughsie


Posts: 338

At £600 you will be looking for a good entry level hardtail. As mentioned lockable front suspension would be good but not a must. If you have a look around on the internet places like Merlin, Evans Cycles, Wheelbase and ChainReaction all do some good deals with some selling 2010 stock at a decent discount. If you plan on doing a fair bit of road riding just invest in some slick style tyres as it makes life a lot easier!

As mentioned above try and ride the bike before you buy. Its strange but some bikes you will just sit on and feel right at home whereas others will feel slightly awkward. If your doing the miles comfort has to be key!

Enjoy and have fun :)

Hughsie

Offline Penn  
#28 Posted : 16 June 2011 19:06:04(UTC)
Penn


Posts: 3,090

I've decided to opt for a Specialized Rockhopper, the basic model which sets you back £699 RRP. Not the best components but more than suitable for what I will be using it for.

Lifetime guarantee on the frame, the forks aren't great (they do lockout) but the ones on the Rockhopper Comp aren't much better so I'd end up upgrading anyway.

+1 for orange, if i had the money I'd be getting one. My bro still has his orange O2 rigid MTB from 1998. Runs perfectly and has all original components and is a great fun ride still.
Offline roystinho  
#29 Posted : 16 June 2011 23:16:42(UTC)
roystinho


Posts: 8,584

I've looked at the rockhopper too. Gonna try get my back side on some this weekend, but really fancying this Cube Acid as well. There's just too much choice. At least with cars it's easy - just needs to have Renaultsport on it Wink
Offline WB83  
#30 Posted : 17 June 2011 09:48:27(UTC)
WB83


Posts: 3,041

Excellent choice! My first proper MTB was a red Specialized Rockhopper of about the same price, absolutely loved the thing, ended up taking off the manitou spyder elastomer forks for marzocchi Z1 bombers (the orange ones - wish i still had them, mtb'ers of a certain age will know the ones i mean!) and then it was perfect. Happy trails man.

Penn wrote:
I've decided to opt for a Specialized Rockhopper, the basic model which sets you back £699 RRP. Not the best components but more than suitable for what I will be using it for.

Lifetime guarantee on the frame, the forks aren't great (they do lockout) but the ones on the Rockhopper Comp aren't much better so I'd end up upgrading anyway.

+1 for orange, if i had the money I'd be getting one. My bro still has his orange O2 rigid MTB from 1998. Runs perfectly and has all original components and is a great fun ride still.

Offline PBCup  
#31 Posted : 20 June 2011 11:01:13(UTC)
Phil 172


Posts: 10,735

If it's just roads get a road bike.

So much faster than a fat tyred mountain bike.
Offline WB83  
#32 Posted : 20 June 2011 11:13:32(UTC)
WB83


Posts: 3,041

Phil200 wrote:
If it's just roads get a road bike.

So much faster than a fat tyred mountain bike.

Not entirely true, mtb with slicks just as fast. A mtb with 2 sets of tyres (knobblies & slicks) can go ANYWHERE, a road bike can only go on roads.

Offline roystinho  
#33 Posted : 20 June 2011 13:13:46(UTC)
roystinho


Posts: 8,584

Phil200 wrote:
If it's just roads get a road bike.

So much faster than a fat tyred mountain bike.

Its through the woods at thye back of mine, down to the canal, and just a little road work from Kirkstall to meanwood. Plus I want a bike that I can use for some proper trails if I want to/get time to. Like WB says, if the tyres are too nobbly, I'll get some intermediate tyresSmile

Offline DazBav  
#34 Posted : 20 June 2011 17:51:52(UTC)
DazBav


Posts: 3,171

You not got a bike yet Danny?!! What you messing about at. Its all about the CubeWink
Offline roystinho  
#35 Posted : 20 June 2011 19:17:59(UTC)
roystinho


Posts: 8,584

DazBav wrote:
You not got a bike yet Danny?!! What you messing about at. Its all about the CubeWink

Getting the Cube Acid above. Sat on one at the weekend and was perfect, just finding the right place/price that'll knock it out on a 12 month 0% Wink
Offline DazBav  
#36 Posted : 20 June 2011 22:25:40(UTC)
DazBav


Posts: 3,171

roystinho wrote:
DazBav wrote:
You not got a bike yet Danny?!! What you messing about at. Its all about the CubeWink

Getting the Cube Acid above. Sat on one at the weekend and was perfect, just finding the right place/price that'll knock it out on a 12 month 0% Wink

www.leisurelakesbikes.com

Over £700 gets ya 0% for 12 months. Might be worth getting a helmet and other gear (SPD pedals and shoes are well worth it) These can be added into your finance so its all 0%

Then down to the midlands and come on the monkey trail !LOL

Edited by user 20 June 2011 22:28:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline PBCup  
#37 Posted : 21 June 2011 09:12:54(UTC)
Phil 172


Posts: 10,735

I can get you upto 25% off rrp at wheelies.co.uk. That includes accessories too.

SPDs are a must!!
Offline roystinho  
#38 Posted : 21 June 2011 09:44:27(UTC)
roystinho


Posts: 8,584

Phil200 wrote:
I can get you upto 25% off rrp at wheelies.co.uk. That includes accessories too.

SPDs are a must!!

ExcellentBig Smile Gonna try get a set of SPD's thrown in if I can thoughWink

Offline Naal1948  
#39 Posted : 09 April 2019 13:52:25(UTC)
Naal1948


Posts: 0

Yes, there are a couple of options. Is this your first mountain bike going? And what do you put more priority on - weight or maybe power? I would look at the reviews on Bikesist and the priority of filters on your wishes. There are a large number of decent models up to 1500 dollars, just the average version of 600 pounds, as you indicated. Look at the aluminum. I have Diamondback Mason 2018, but you can buy it cheaper for previous years and you will not feel much of a difference.
Users browsing this topic
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.