Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Steve-O  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2016 10:04:10(UTC)
Steve-O

Hi all

Has anyone got any experiences with servicing etc at this dealership?

I'm pretty mechanically aware so sending my new car into dealer for servicing goes against my better Judgement.

Thinking missed/deliberately skipped service items, and parking DAMAGE denying it happened whilst it was in. Been there got the t-shirt etc etc

Any feedback appreciated

Thanks

Steve
Offline f.a.t  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2016 14:18:44(UTC)
f.a.t

Had my wifes car serviced there last month, they have a carpark attendant who checks your car for damage before it is booked in, work was done and car valeted. I was followed up and gave them top marks.
Offline Georgeski  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2016 15:29:59(UTC)
Georgeski

Wow, that is a great idea/service
Offline Slam  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2016 16:09:07(UTC)
Slam

I've been getting this level of service ever since I started using Renault retail. I deal with Manchester and they go out of their way to make sure all is fine.
Offline Georgeski  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2016 16:31:37(UTC)
Georgeski

The car valet part is not value as for me, but the check before and after is.
Offline John_walker74  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2016 16:39:55(UTC)
John_walker74

Shows they are trying to improve. Toyota follow up, but don't check the car when dropping it off.

I think I will try Renault London West for an RS 16.
Offline Steve-O  
#7 Posted : 26 August 2016 19:07:11(UTC)
Steve-O

I am buying my trophy through them and so far they have been reasonably responsive on email sorting a out a few queries and also performing the spoiler recall before I pick it up next week. I do think it should have been sorted workout me asking though.

The level of trust I have when it comes to dealer servicing couldn't be any lower at the moment due to past experiences but a drop off Damage check will be a big plus for me. I'll swerve the valet though I like my paint swirl free.

Cheers for the info so far!

Cheers

Steve
Offline shocker  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2016 11:53:37(UTC)
shocker

Hi
I get superb service from the dealer I now use
But My supplying dealer could never fix anything first time they managed to damage my car and wheels a number of times
I even watched a mechanic park up a customers car and then reversed it into the large dealership sign he got out and looked at the dent then walked back into the showroom said nothing to the customer when giving them the keys
I kept my mouth shut but wish I hadn't
The second dealer I used put the wrong oil in my rs 200t and when I pointed this out to the manager he says that's the oil we put in all renaults as we only have one
I said your either putting in expensive oil in all your cars or putting wrong spec oil in top models
He said I was wrong and stormed off after telling me I was ****ing annoying him
Needless to say I never got 100m from dealer and he text me saying they had put in wrong oil and could I bring it back
I am now on a third dealer who is very proffesional and seems to fix things first time and services car perfectly
Offline Shanti  
#9 Posted : 27 August 2016 11:54:52(UTC)
Shanti

Originally Posted by: Steve-O Go to Quoted Post
Hi all

Has anyone got any experiences with servicing etc at this dealership?

I'm pretty mechanically aware so sending my new car into dealer for servicing goes against my better Judgement.

Thinking missed/deliberately skipped service items, and parking DAMAGE denying it happened whilst it was in. Been there got the t-shirt etc etc

I have to use Renault London West due to the Four Plus service package the car came with. Yes they check the car for damage and dings when you drop it off, but I expect that's to cover them as the car park is so tight! Don't forget to go over the vehicle thoroughly before driving off when you collect it. I had to collect mine in the dark, and didn't notice a huge scuff on the wing mirror! Thankfully it was rubber and polished off. There was also a rubber boot scuff on the sill where a mechanic has struggled to get in/out the seat. Wasn't happy at the time though. It just compounded my view of their muppetry, when they'd nearly resolved themselves by that time. No harm done in the end, but it doesn't fill you with confidence.

When you book it in be very explicit about it not being washed or hoovered. They do it automatically unless you inform them not to. Ensure they write no valet, or something similar, on the job card. Or it will be swirl-a-rama all over your paint work. I always ask for a copy of the job card too, it's very different from the receipt you receive at the end.

I asked to view my MOT once, your legal right in the mandatory to provide MOT viewing area, and they went into a mild melt down. Let me do it, but they resisted hard. "Not insured, no access to the workshop for the public etc." It was all fine and the tester did a good job. Even provided me a light running commentary.

They massively screwed up a warranty inspection on one occasion though. Pictures taken, then the workshop manager walked out and took his camera with him. The whole thing descended into a farce. Had to raise a complaint on this forum and direct with Renault UK. It was resolved in the end. They apologised and agreed it should have never got that far. Messed me around royally though. I had to make three or four trips there for inspection after inspection for them to keep screwing up process and paperwork. Eventually a Renault Master Tech looked at it with me, discussed issue quickly and a decision was made. Took ten minutes, but had taken nearly four months to get to that point. There's a thread about it on this forum.

When it went in for the work it seemed to have been done well and no further issue since. The Service Manager Keith also got involved. He was very professional and conducted himself in a customer focused manner. To be honest it was him that turned the whole thing around. He'd been newly appointed after the departure of the other chap. I expect RLW were in 'special measures' up until that point. Keith's arrival will have hopefully resolved all their issues. He's a switched on guy.

I requested the gearbox oil be changed at the same time, and as a gesture of goodwill they waved the cost as I'd been so messed around. It was done as well, the difference in gear selection was night and day afterwards. I had to tell them which oil to use though! They may have used the older spec, but that's down to Renault not updating systems and booklets, more than a mechanic making a mistake. That said, a good mechanic should be reading around their manuals to stay relevant.

There was also an intermittent switch failure issue that was resolved under warranty. Keith simply had the work done, even though they claimed the mechanic wasn't able to diagnose an issue in the circuit. Good of them, but realistically the least they should do. It was a genuine fault, now the switch has been replaced the trip computer scrolls properly; before it had a mind of its own. They may have resisted a less strong willed customer, but given my form they're aware of how much of a pig of a customer I am. That said I don't want to be at all, I simply want things done properly.

Don't get me started on buying the car. The team in the second hand car bit were poor. Didn't know the model, didn't know the colour, mis priced it, didn't notice the first owner had gone beyond the date of the first service by three months, therefore invalidating the warranty should it ever be claimed on (I had to get them to cover me on that, which they did, but it cost them £800 retail cost). They'd 'lost' the service book with radio code in too (thankfully the one service receipt was present), so had to order an entire new set. How a well run dealer can lose vital paperwork I've no idea. It still left me with a very bad taste in my mouth that someone somewhere was trying to hide something. To the extent I forced them to print the entire history of the vehicle off the Renault system and I have lots of paperwork marked Renault confidential.

It's booked in soon for the MOT and final Four Plus service. Renault tried to stop me using the Four Plus, guess why, because the prior owner had screwed up the service interval and their records were stating it wasn't 'due' for the service for another three months; and of course Four Plus would have expired by then. I also had to point out they need to change all the fluids on the four year service too. Coolant, brake fluid and oil. "Just the oil sir, the others are checked and topped up as part of the service" No! The fact that the customer has to have their cars service schedule in front of them when they book the service to 'force them' to do the work is concerning. I have to say this was the central 'dial a booking line' and not RLW themselves.

Again, Keith to the rescue. I was called back a few days later to confirm they would conduct the Four Plus that was due, and would change all fluids, as per the service schedule. Again, seemed like I was having to fight the system though.

The pièce de résistance was when I asked about the clutch circuit being bled at the same time as the brake circuit, as they share the same fluid reservoir, so all the old fluids should be pumped out, when the new fluids added, as a matter of good practice. "No sir, we don't do that, it's extra." They want to charge an hours labour £160 (crazy per hour rate) to do a five minute job that should be done as a matter of good practice.

It will be five mins as the vehicle will be up on the ramp, the lower engine cover will be off as the oil is being changed, so getting ones hand on the bleed nipple for the clutch is easy. Without a ramp and not being able to go in from underneath you have to remove the battery, so I can see that would take time. Thing is you don't need to when working from below...we shall see how this is approached at the time.

My suggestion is to just be politely in control of everything, double check they know which items need to be carried out and the correct specs to be used. I'm hoping they won't have to remove a wheel to bleed the brakes (but I expect they will for ease of access) as I don't know if they use rubberised sockets. If they don't they'll be instantly scratching the satin black Speedlines...

Good luck.

Edited by user 27 August 2016 12:05:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2016 12:05:51(UTC)
MrVix

What a cracking post, lets hope Renault London read it!!
Offline Steve-O  
#11 Posted : 27 August 2016 13:01:30(UTC)
Steve-O

That's massively insightful thanks.

I'll post up a couple of extra things I have endured once I have picked it up.

I am excited but sadly I am almost expecting either the spoiler recall repair to be a complete mess or the alloy wheel refurb to have taken too much alloy off. I am aware this is the best time to nail them about it so I'll be looking very closely at the car. It's only covered 3.5k so no excuses really.

I'll have to reject it if it's anything other than perfect I haven't got the time or energy to ensure a subsequent 6 month battle to get something fixed that should not have made it to customer delivery in the first place.

Will post an update when I have been to get it. Hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

Cheers

Steve
Offline baigent  
#12 Posted : 31 August 2016 06:52:15(UTC)
baigent

Hi Steve,

I bought my Trophy new from RLW (No.1040 Flame Red) and had the spoiler re-call completed before I picked the vehicle up. I haven't had any issues with the spoiler so far. There were some marks around the general area of the spoiler (some light marring and micro scratches, which I didn't complain about, as I was going to detail the car anyway) these were most likely caused during the process (as the car was brand new and I asked the dealership not to valet the vehicle before collection). The car is currently in RLW bodyshop after unfortunately having another vehicle pull into the passenger side and initially going into Orpington bodyshop (where it stayed for over 5 weeks and came back in a far worse state than when it went in, which is much longer post for another time). I'll update here when the car comes back as to how competent they are, although you might have already collected your Trophy by then. I do know that they have only recently installed the Diamond cutting lathe at the dealership so I have my fingers crossed for you.
Offline scoobyr  
#13 Posted : 31 August 2016 10:20:22(UTC)
scoobyr

Recently bought my 275 Cup-S from Renault London West, also bought my R26 new from them and also a Clio and Scenic for the wife from them as well, always been fine.

Just thought I’d mention that after R-Sport in Wimbledon closed, their top mechanic has since joined RLW. This is great news, because if you have your RS there, you can be assured there is now somewhere there who really does know RS cars inside out. He has worked on all my Renaultsports going back to a Clio Williams in the mid 90’s and has now become a friend.

I think they are genuinely trying to get standards as high as possible and improvements have already been made, service manager Keith is also a decent chap, it’s where I’ll be taking my Cup-S from now on.
Offline Steve-O  
#14 Posted : 31 August 2016 14:52:13(UTC)
Steve-O

Picked my Clio up this morning. Was nice and clean and well presented. I was given the keys and asked to look around the car and i was looking for the spoiler rebonding work and also the wheel refurb. Spoiler was fine - no evidence of adhesive on the paint etc but the wheel repair wasn't great. There was a lacquer chip the size of a 20p piece on the face of the wheel and on the black spoke area it had another massive flake but that hand been lacquered over. Generally there was dust in the lacquer and it wasn't up to what i expected out of the repair.

Hiccup aside i will say they handled it well. I asked for another new wheel/tyre to be fitted and that's exactly what they did whilst i waited.

There was also a mixup with the the registration number which meant some new plates had to be made up and fitted whilst i waited - again no fuss. However this issue was there when i tested the car a couple of weeks ago and caused a reasonable wait whilst they roamed the forecourt looking for a trophy to test drive that didnt exist. Not ideal but again the issue was sorted with a small wait.

As i said to the sales exec on site i understand things happen and thats fine. Its how they are dealt with thereafter that i look at and in this instance they sorted both issues with no fuss to the level i wanted so i praise them for that. If they had started going on about bring it back to repair later i would have just walked away - i am glad they realised that this was one of those times to get the job done properly.

So based on this interesting experience and what you guys have said i think i will drop it in for the service when it arrives, especially if they have some master RS techs around. I'll update this post when the service happens to see how that goes....

Onto more important matters - the car is superb. I was grinning like a fool on the drive back up the M1 earlier. The induction and exhaust noises are exactly what i was hoping for and the race mode is great. The gearbox is spot on and fast. People winge about it but i don't see the problem, i think its awesome so far. Very pleased. This RS is just a different package to the previous ones, its just as capable and fits my needs as a lazy auto commuter and fun car perfectly.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by user 31 August 2016 14:56:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Shanti  
#15 Posted : 10 September 2016 22:39:33(UTC)
Shanti

Originally Posted by: scoobyr Go to Quoted Post
Just thought I’d mention that after R-Sport in Wimbledon closed, their top mechanic has since joined RLW. This is great news, because if you have your RS there, you can be assured there is now somewhere there who really does know RS cars inside out.

Who is this person? I'll be asking for him in person. Completely agree about Keith, decent guy who's trying his best to up standards.
Offline scoobyr  
#16 Posted : 14 September 2016 10:50:20(UTC)
scoobyr

Originally Posted by: Shanti Go to Quoted Post
Just thought I’d mention that after R-Sport in Wimbledon closed, their top mechanic has since joined RLW. This is great news, because if you have your RS there, you can be assured there is now somewhere there who really does know RS cars inside out.

Who is this person? I'll be asking for him in person. Completely agree about Keith, decent guy who's trying his best to up standards.

His name is Andrew Cochrane, absolutely top bloke and more than happy to speak to customers if necessary.
Offline WB83  
#17 Posted : 14 September 2016 11:28:43(UTC)
WB83

His name is Andrew Cochrane, absolutely top bloke and more than happy to speak to customers if necessary.

+1 to that. Won't let anyone else near my car with a set of spanners!

Offline scoobyr  
#18 Posted : 14 September 2016 14:35:18(UTC)
scoobyr

Originally Posted by: WB83 Go to Quoted Post

Assuming that was your liquid yellow 200 he had when I popped into see him a couple of months ago? Very nice carCool
Offline WB83  
#19 Posted : 14 September 2016 15:33:29(UTC)
WB83

Assuming that was your liquid yellow 200 he had when I popped into see him a couple of months ago? Very nice carCool

It was indeed, many thanks! 6 years old now so had it's belts etc done.
Offline scoobyr  
#20 Posted : 14 September 2016 17:48:33(UTC)
scoobyr

It was indeed, many thanks! 6 years old now so had it's belts etc done.

Yes, was speaking to Andy about it, as he asked me about detailing it, let me know if you need a hand in the future....

Edited by user 14 September 2016 17:49:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline WB83  
#21 Posted : 15 September 2016 14:14:22(UTC)
WB83

It's something I've always wanted to have done, usually clean it fairly regularly myself but it would definitely benefit from a good detail. Will PM you.
Offline Shanti  
#22 Posted : 18 September 2016 15:19:14(UTC)
Shanti

An update on RLW after the 200 was MOT'd and had the four year service. Very smooth experience and a good job done. Sadly Andy Cochrane wasn't there on the day my car was booked in so another technician worked on it. They've introduced a video update service now too, so you receive a short video pointing out issues if there are any. There weren't, so it was 20 seconds of a picture of the front bumper and the guy saying nothing was wrong.

All the service items were completed as I requested (or as per the service schedule states) and when I arrived it was all nice and clear on the job card as to what was to happen. They also remembered that the car never gets washed which was on the job card too, but they still wrote over it in big letters not to clean it.

The question about the clutch being bled was also discussed and when I pointed out it was a five min job from underneath when the under tray was off for the oil change, and it should be done as routine when changing the brake fluid, they agreed to talk to the technician about it. The service reception still felt it really didn't need doing as part of the service as the fluid used in the clutch circuit is under far less stress than the brake circuit, but agreed to do it and didn't charge the hours labour at £160 either. Hopefully the technician did just point out it takes a few minutes and is easy enough as the battery doesn't need to be removed when working from underneath.

MOT was fine, but it 'failed' as the high level rear stop light bulb had gone and the N/S front headlight had dropped a little. Last time I looked the rear bulb was fine, but I guess it could go at any stage. I'd not noticed the headlamp was low either. All was resolved free of charge as the car is still under it's Four Plus 'if it fails it's MOT we fix what's necessary for it to pass' guarantee. I had to pay £2.80 for the bulb.

When I left the engine picked up cleanly, I expect the new air filter giving it slightly better breathing. The engine bay was clean and tidy, no drips and spills from changing all the fluids, and all at the max lines (coolant just slightly below the max), only a tiny dribble on the brake fluid reservoir which I wiped off very easily. I'm in two minds about dropping the Elf oil out of it to replace it with Fuchs/Silkolene Race Pro S, but I just didn't want to get into a debate about asking them to use oil I supplied and took the Elf for free as part of the service.

The only two things I can pick them up on is that the service sheet stated that six litres of oil had been put in the engine. As the capacity is only 5.15 litres I hope that was just a written mistake and the engine isn't so full of oil it'll blow all its seals.

I don't think they do use rubberised sockets either. The wheels are dirty, so a little hard to tell until the next time it's washed, but there is some marking on the wheels around the stud hole where a socket has either rubbed, or caught small bits of road grime on its way round and caused some marking.

They were very accommodating about me waiting for it and working in reception. There is WiFi so I could connect the laptop and work, but WiFi had been broken for a few days. A disaster as I had a lot of important things to do, but I was able to tether my phone and connect over 4G without too much of an issue. Without that it would have been a bad morning. The service manager Keith was around, said hello and thankfully all was completed as requested so didn't have to get involved at all.

I shall now go and check the oil level on the dipstick myself to ensure there isn't six litres in it!

Edited by user 18 September 2016 15:32:50(UTC)  | Reason: Punctuation

Offline Shanti  
#23 Posted : 20 September 2016 19:47:42(UTC)
Shanti

Update. Oil level seems fine, tiny bit over the max, but I put that down to being parked forward on a slight incline. It's certainly not got an extra 0.85 of a litre in it. So I'd put six litres on the service sheet down to a typo.

The lower window rubber on the external drivers side also has a fair bit of marking where someone/thing has been repeatedly leaning in through the window.

What has really irked me is that the drivers side Recaro now has a constant massive squeak it never had in its four years of life...

The squeaky seat blooming annoys me as it's a constant reminder. How does a technician batter a seat so much during a service and MOT that they cause the seat to subsequently squeak and have play in the bolster?