Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline retrowarwick  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2016 10:02:37(UTC)
retrowarwick

I'm in the market for a used 220 Trophy so asking lots of questions about certain vehicles at renault dealers. Always pays to ask questions just to see what the answers are......i did and it twigged......

This one at Masters:
http://www.autotrader.co...ort=price-asc&page=2

EVO mag review
http://www.evo.co.uk/ren...er-than-a-ford-fiesta-st

Fairplay if you want a car with 'interesting' history, i just want an honest car that isn't the village bike. I'm new to the Renault brand so very disappointing so far........

Edited by user 16 November 2016 10:03:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sunnylunn  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2016 10:29:31(UTC)
sunnylunn

good spot! I would say the press cars are very well looked after, so it may well be a decent buy if you could get a decent discount on it. I bought my Trophy from them, they seem to be decent up to now.
Offline retrowarwick  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2016 11:14:39(UTC)
retrowarwick

its always a balance between age, mileage and spec, allied to whether the car has been hammered or not. Pricey for 15995 compared to other cars out there unfortunately especially if its had a harder than average early life (accelerated tyre wear for example)
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2016 11:23:35(UTC)
MrVix

Unfortunately that is always going to be the case with any used car unless you are buying from friend/family etc.

Many of these cars will have been used hard regardless of whether they have been used as a Press car or not.

My advice if you are concerned is to buy a new one if you can stretch that far, if not I am afraid you will have to enter the used car lottery.
Offline retrowarwick  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2016 11:26:58(UTC)
retrowarwick

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately that is always going to be the case with any used car unless you are buying from friend/family etc.

Many of these cars will have been used hard regardless of whether they have been used as a Press car or not.

My advice if you are concerned is to buy a new one if you can stretch that far, if not I am afraid you will have to enter the used car lottery.

well aware of buying used - being doing it for 20+ years Wink ......my point is an ex-press car gets a harder than average time of it.
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2016 11:34:18(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: retrowarwick Go to Quoted Post

well aware of buying used - being doing it for 20+ years Wink ......my point is an ex-press car gets a harder than average time of it.

I am not really sure of the point of your original post then if you are so experienced in buying used cars.

Surely it is obvious that a Press car will have had a hard life but I am equally as sure that many other 200T's out there have had a similar hard life.

As with anything in life you pay your money and take your chance, good luck.
Offline gelly1969  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2016 12:58:29(UTC)
gelly1969

Like you I’m looking for a Trophy and I’ve also looked at this car. The Trophy Seats, RS Monitor and Price
got my attention. This was until I saw it was in Frost White, Not sure I could live with matt paint. Now seeing
it could have had a very hard life its certainly not for me. Just imagine it been used for Top Gear’s Program/Magazine.
Thinking about it, It could be the very same car that I and many others sat in at The Renault World Series at Silverstone
the other year.

Edited by user 16 November 2016 13:03:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline del115  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2016 14:13:03(UTC)
del115

Have to agree with Mr Vix here.....

Over the past year my Trophy has been to the following track days.
1 x Le Mans, 2 x Spa, 2 x Castle Combe, 1 x Oulton Park, 1 x Bedford GT and a lap of the 'ring.

I do look after it with regards to oil, brakes, tyres etc as I always want to come home in one piece.

Car has now done 12,000 miles - 1 careful owner ? -- you decide.Wink
Offline gelly1969  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2016 15:01:38(UTC)
gelly1969

I once remember reading about a car following a day’s filming. Let me see if I can find it as it was a
few years ago. Should be an interesting read.

https://forums.finalgear...t-against-topgear-40875/
Offline Familyman  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2016 18:41:43(UTC)
Familyman

those reviews make me laugh, " the trophy engine is boring and doesnt get going till 5500 rpm's".......what?!?!??!?!?!?!
imo its much better than the fiesta st engine which they don't even mention.
David
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#11 Posted : 17 November 2016 10:23:35(UTC)
Jeremy

I'm in the market for a used 220 Trophy so asking lots of questions about certain vehicles at renault dealers. Always pays to ask questions just to see what the answers are......i did and it twigged......

This one at Masters:

EVO mag review

Fairplay if you want a car with 'interesting' history, i just want an honest car that isn't the village bike. I'm new to the Renault brand so very disappointing so far........

I have no doubt that our press cars have the highest level of preparation, service and maintenance of any car. Every time they are loaned to known journalists, our technicians ensure that they are as new as possible. We spare no expense on replacement of any item that is worn, in particular tyres, brakes etc. The fact that journalists often ask to purchase press cars from us when they are sold on says it all really. Harry Metcalf, ex of Evo, still owns a Clio 182 Trophy. It was the very car that they tested in their magazine.
Offline Masters Of Beckenham Renault  
#12 Posted : 17 November 2016 10:38:19(UTC)
Masters Of Beckenham Renault

Hi Matt,

Thanks again for the information.

As discussed yesterday, we bought the car direct from Renault UK, and did suggest to you it was most likely an ex company car used by the Renaultsport team. As you would expect, and others here have highlighted, this car is not a Honda Jazz and is designed to be driven on and off the track and its performance enjoyed. Anything you find used on the market will have been bought by an enthusiast specifically for this reason.

The same of course will apply to many used performance cars you will see on the market.

With regards to this specific car, its in a condition far from that of a "village bike" and looks like it has been treasured with no indication of damage or wear. For our own benefit, we have also put it through our workshop and serviced it early to ensure its of the quality we wish to put our name too. Similarly as a Renault car entering the used car market and in its life used by the press, the car would be maintained and prepared to the highest standards.

Price wise, yes it is more expensive than some currently advertised, but it does have the optional V2 monitor, has the optional Trophy leather seats and does have the optional Frost white matt paint with black roof, all options that add desirability and cost.

Good luck with your hunt for a new car

David
Sales Manager
Masters of Beckenham

Offline John_walker74  
#13 Posted : 17 November 2016 12:56:41(UTC)
John_walker74

Great to see a direct reply form the dealership. I hope others start to be a bit more active on here.
Offline foxspeed  
#14 Posted : 17 November 2016 18:30:00(UTC)
foxspeed

Originally Posted by: Jeremy RUK Go to Quoted Post

This one at Masters:

EVO mag review

I have no doubt that our press cars have the highest level of preparation, service and maintenance of any car. Every time they are loaned to known journalists, our technicians ensure that they are as new as possible. We spare no expense on replacement of any item that is worn, in particular tyres, brakes etc. The fact that journalists often ask to purchase press cars from us when they are sold on says it all really. Harry Metcalf, ex of Evo, still owns a Clio 182 Trophy. It was the very car that they tested in their magazine.

mmmm the 2 ex press cars i looked at werent that good Blush ex 275 trophy & trophy-r
Offline colm89  
#15 Posted : 23 November 2016 11:04:44(UTC)
colm89

Hi all, new here.

Read this thread, read all the other threads about this car, but didn't make up my mind til I drove it this morning.

I can confirm it is truly immaculate, and the sales person I dealt with at Masters has been professional throughout the process, going through all my options regarding this, another trophy they had in stock, and a standard RS200.

Ultimately I decided on HK15 YMS as soon as I saw it in person and drove it. Ok, I played over the frost white paint maintenance concerns in my mind, but when you see it up close it looks fantastic. No signs of damage, full service history, almost new tyres, and an additional years warranty thrown in. It drove sweet as a nut, and still had its new car smell. Any teething problems will likely have been ironed out in the 9000 miles its covered anyway. Lets be honest, new cars are pretty well built, and the majority of engines are run in on a dyno at the factory now anyway. I just hope that if the engine or gearbox give up that it happens before my warranty is out Blush

Needless to say, deposit down, collecting it next week.

Chances are I'll be driving it the way Evo drove it once it's paid for and the warranty runs out anyway, so whats the problem?

Pics to follow when I collect it.
Offline titian  
#16 Posted : 23 November 2016 12:06:55(UTC)
titian

Happy days,you will love it.9000 miles is nothing these days ,when you buy a seconhand hand car you never know how the previous owner looked after it but here you do, to the highest standard,so probably a lot better than most .
Offline shocker  
#17 Posted : 23 November 2016 17:51:24(UTC)
shocker

I bought the evo mag civic type r way back in 2001
I seen it in a Honda dealer in Falkirk who told me it was a one owner car and well looked after
What a load of b****** , Honda had shifted it as far away from down south and were kidding on it was a one owner
Any way I went back and showed them the article and worked out a deal
Car went ok for five years and if it needed warranty work it got done no problem due to a superb Honda service manager
Offline Womble  
#18 Posted : 23 November 2016 19:07:26(UTC)
Womble

That's fine 9000 miles as they only really start to free up at 10000
Offline danielchavarria  
#19 Posted : 11 June 2019 08:22:04(UTC)
danielchavarria

Articles about the improvement of the car by upgrading the engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, as well as improving the appearance, interior and building a good sound. This section of the article https://maxhomework.com/math-homework-help/ who writes a lot of useful articles on the topic of learning explains how to do it yourself. We will show the main stages of the improvement of the car so that it would be clear to the beginner and experienced car enthusiasts. Everyone decides whether to do it or not. But whoever has ever driven a car with a properly reprogrammed injection system solves this question unequivocally - yes! Few people drive in maximum power mode, much more important for everyday driving is the torque and flexibility of the engine. All this will give a simple chip tuning.