Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2017 17:34:35(UTC)
MrVix

The subject earlier of 3 or 5 doors got me thinking and looking at EVO's top 10 Hot Hatches of 2017 I reckon 5 of them are/were available in 3 door format.

http://www.evo.co.uk/fea...best-hot-hatchbacks-2017

I suspect the next generation of H/H's will be nearly exclusively 5 door which is a shame but not an absolute deal breaker for me.

On a side note lets hope Renault can get back into EVO's top 10 with the new MeganeBig Smile
Offline Georgeski  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2017 18:00:22(UTC)
Georgeski

Surprised that they put the FRS ahead of the Clubsport S.

Great selection of cars though, I would be happy with any of them aside from the Leon and 308.
Offline Georgeski  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2017 18:01:39(UTC)
Georgeski

I think you are right though that the next generation of hot hatches will all be 5 door.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2017 18:26:27(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

No demand for three doors really.
Offline Penn  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2017 19:02:57(UTC)
Penn

Still don't see a problem with 5 doors on these family cars. They are after all just fast versions of the weekly shop mobile.
Offline Marc_250  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2017 20:52:42(UTC)
Marc_250

I was a 3 door only sorta person then moved to 5 doors and ya know it's just more convenient. Given the option I'd have prolly picked 3 doors but I think reality is I don't really care now.

Hot hatches are about fun/performance with practicality and undoubtedly 5 doors adds more practicality.

I think as with anything you just get used to it, it's hardly a life and death big deal.

Was having a similar (or not) argument about the introduction of the halo in F1 next year and while I was fully against it now it's happening I no longer see the big deal, as long as the racing is good who cares.
Offline CraigI  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2017 21:22:09(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
I was a 3 door only sorta person then moved to 5 doors and ya know it's just more convenient. Given the option I'd have prolly picked 3 doors but I think reality is I don't really care now.

Hot hatches are about fun/performance with practicality and undoubtedly 5 doors adds more practicality.

I think as with anything you just get used to it, it's hardly a life and death big deal.

Was having a similar (or not) argument about the introduction of the halo in F1 next year and while I was fully against it now it's happening I no longer see the big deal, as long as the racing is good who cares.

Off topic, but how good is the racing in F1?
Driver skill has little to no bearing more often than not.

Offline Marc_250  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2017 22:42:38(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post

Off topic, but how good is the racing in F1?
Driver skill has little to no bearing more often than not.

It has been a good season as far as I'm concerned. I've been entertained. Driver skill looks even more dependent this year to me.

I think there is stuff that can be improved and it seems it is recognised in the long term view.
Offline gordini  
#9 Posted : 13 August 2017 16:33:30(UTC)
gordini

I have a 5DR Megane 2009 diesel and i had a Meg 250 which looked pretty stunning!
not sure how anyone could say the 250 would have looked just as good in a 5dr saloon.
reason 3dr is being dropped - more profits for manufacturers.
unless you have 2.1 kids why would you want a hot hatch in 5dr.

Ford have even done the Focus ST in an estate!
Offline Kirsty172  
#10 Posted : 13 August 2017 22:19:06(UTC)
Kirsty172

i hate the no 3 door option. i dont see why manufacturers used to be able to do this since the year dot, but now all of a sudden its not economic. its all BS - dont believe the hype. usual global sales and marketings stuff for me, we will tell you what you want/like and then we'll make it for you. seriously, why else are all these SUVs now being made?

manufacturing should be cheaper and cheaper now vs. 10 years ago, and yet we have choice taken away. i dont believe design and engineering makes the difference between economics and not. if that was the case, how come the 5 door car was always more expensive than the 3 door equivalent of the same vehicle...?

dont believe the hype...
Offline Kirsty172  
#11 Posted : 13 August 2017 22:20:13(UTC)
Kirsty172

Originally Posted by: gordini Go to Quoted Post
I have a 5DR Megane 2009 diesel and i had a Meg 250 which looked pretty stunning!
not sure how anyone could say the 250 would have looked just as good in a 5dr saloon.
reason 3dr is being dropped - more profits for manufacturers.
unless you have 2.1 kids why would you want a hot hatch in 5dr.

Ford have even done the Focus ST in an estate!

^^^^^^^^ exactly what he said!!!!!!