Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Georgeski  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2017 09:10:42(UTC)
Georgeski

Anyone getting this and on what platform? Hopefully my copy should be waiting for me tonight and I have got it on Xbox One.
Offline Penn  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2017 09:16:47(UTC)
Penn

Will not be getting it, it's capped at 30fps on consoles so I wouldn't be able to play it. All my mates are getting it on PC, knew I should never have sold my gaming machine!
Offline Georgeski  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2017 09:39:37(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Penn Go to Quoted Post
Will not be getting it, it's capped at 30fps on consoles so I wouldn't be able to play it. All my mates are getting it on PC, knew I should never have sold my gaming machine!

Will it be capped at that on the Xbox One X for 1080p play? To be honest 30fps doesn't particularly bother me (for a non-competative game) as long as it's stable!
Offline Penn  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2017 10:16:19(UTC)
Penn

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Penn Go to Quoted Post

Will it be capped at that on the Xbox One X for 1080p play? To be honest 30fps doesn't particularly bother me (for a non-competative game) as long as it's stable!

From what I've read, PS4 pro and Xbox one x will still be capped at 30fps.
Offline Georgeski  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2017 13:09:50(UTC)
Georgeski

It would be pretty shocking if they couldn't use the additional processing grunt available for 60FPS on HD screens. I get that it wouldn't be possible at 4K, but it should be for 1080p, even if there are higher resolution assets.
Offline Penn  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2017 13:58:55(UTC)
Penn

It would be pretty shocking if they couldn't use the additional processing grunt available for 60FPS on HD screens. I get that it wouldn't be possible at 4K, but it should be for 1080p, even if there are higher resolution assets.

You're spot on and this is where the pro consoles will fail. They simply won't be able to run multi platform games at 4K HDR, 60fps as the devs can't afford to omptimise accordingly.

As Sony and MS want to sell the 4K aspects, I doubt many games will be optimised to run at 1080p at higher FPS. Even then, if devs cannot guarantee a solid 60fps then they will cap at 30fps.

I won't be getting the one X, I think I'm going to invest in a gaming PC and get back to proper gaming.

Offline Georgeski  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2017 14:36:55(UTC)
Georgeski

I have the One X on pre order, the one always felt a little bit lacking in power at launch, it didn't really feel like a generational leap as the X should do. I do also quite like a few of the technical features too, specifically the condensing cooler and using the Hovis method to match CPU with motherboard.

Edited by user 05 September 2017 14:38:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Penn  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2017 15:46:12(UTC)
Penn

I have the One X on pre order, the one always felt a little bit lacking in power at launch, it didn't really feel like a generational leap as the X should do. I do also quite like a few of the technical features too, specifically the condensing cooler and using the Hovis method to match CPU with motherboard.

Yep, it's good to see some PC tech landing in consoles, long overdue but still not enough really. Do you have a 4K HDR TV already to play it on?
Offline Georgeski  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2017 16:16:35(UTC)
Georgeski

Nope, just HD, buying for the performance improvements at 1080P.

Don't think the Hovis method of pairing has been used in PC's before, so the X is on the cutting edge in that regards and I think condensing coolers have only been used in $1000 plus graphics cards.

Edited by user 05 September 2017 16:18:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Penn  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2017 17:06:34(UTC)
Penn

Nope, just HD, buying for the performance improvements at 1080P.

Don't think the Hovis method of pairing has been used in PC's before, so the X is on the cutting edge in that regards and I think condensing coolers have only been used in $1000 plus graphics cards.

An expensive upgrade relying purely on devs to support the extra power!

Add in a 4K HDR TV and the one x suddenly becomes a £2000 console.

I've been an Xbox fan for many years but the current generation consoles and games have just lost the plot entirely, especially considering how good PC gaming is at the minute.
Offline Marc_250  
#11 Posted : 05 September 2017 18:12:30(UTC)
Marc_250

Not really a 'gamer' but I dabble once in a while. But gaming PCs within reason aren't the never ending upgrade cost they used to be.

I've got an I7 2700k in my desktop and it must be 5/6+ years old now and a similar age gfx card (somet like a radeon 7950?) and I got Players Unknown the other week and it still fundamentally plays it well. I doubt 4k would be on the cards but 1080 is fine by me for the moment as it's all the telly supports!
Offline Georgeski  
#12 Posted : 05 September 2017 18:19:00(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Not really a 'gamer' but I dabble once in a while. But gaming PCs within reason aren't the never ending upgrade cost they used to be.

I've got an I7 2700k in my desktop and it must be 5/6+ years old now and a similar age gfx card (somet like a radeon 7950?) and I got Players Unknown the other week and it still fundamentally plays it well. I doubt 4k would be on the cards but 1080 is fine by me for the moment as it's all the telly supports!

What do you reckon to PUBG? A lot of people seem to be in to it and its coming to the Xbox.
Offline Penn  
#13 Posted : 05 September 2017 19:11:57(UTC)
Penn

What do you reckon to PUBG? A lot of people seem to be in to it and its coming to the Xbox.

It'll be horrible with a controller, even the looting interface would be a nightmare to navigate.

Marc is right on the PC front, I sold my gaming PC 4 years ago to my bro and it was already 2 years old then. All he's done is add a GTX 1070 and it still flies and manages HTC Vive easily.

You can get gaming capable CPU's for as little as £59 these days and a very capable full rig for under £1000 that you won't have to touch for over 3 years.
Offline Marc_250  
#14 Posted : 05 September 2017 19:32:45(UTC)
Marc_250

Only played a couple of rounds in PUBG so far but I think it's one of those games that will need a fair bit of time invested into it.
Offline Georgeski  
#15 Posted : 06 September 2017 09:31:48(UTC)
Georgeski

I get that impression on PUBG - it seems to be quite unforgiving/very competitive. You need to invest a lot of time to be good.

Really hyped for D2, a bit pissed off that I am working away so can't play tonight - wasn't a fan of the first one but thought the beta for D2 was exceptionally good!
Offline Marc_250  
#16 Posted : 06 September 2017 18:58:47(UTC)
Marc_250

Yea I'd say 'very competitive' fits PUBG very well.

Never even heard of Destiny 1/2 until I read this. Looks a bit like Quake or Unreal.

I miss the days of been impressed by a games graphics etc, these days they all look visually very similar, I can't be bothered to do the tutorials, start a game get bored/die and never look at it again!

Think I'll give VR a bit longer to mature and try that next..
Offline Penn  
#17 Posted : 06 September 2017 19:07:09(UTC)
Penn

Yea I'd say 'very competitive' fits PUBG very well.

Never even heard of Destiny 1/2 until I read this. Looks a bit like Quake or Unreal.

I miss the days of been impressed by a games graphics etc, these days they all look visually very similar, I can't be bothered to do the tutorials, start a game get bored/die and never look at it again!

Think I'll give VR a bit longer to mature and try that next..

Destiny is nothing like quake or unreal, it's an FPSMMO essentially.

Closest gameplay wise is Halo, it's made by the same dev studio and the movement and shooting is incredibly similar.
Offline Georgeski  
#18 Posted : 06 September 2017 19:15:06(UTC)
Georgeski

Visuals and art style are stunning for D2
Offline del115  
#19 Posted : 07 September 2017 08:16:15(UTC)
del115

Great thread chaps, haven't understood a word tbh.

However I do have an Asus ROG G750JW laptop - gaming machine apparently.

I took it in as a part payment for some development work I had done a few years back.
Pretty much been sat behind my desk ever since as the only thing I have done is upgrade the OS to Windows 10.
Brand new, unregistered and iirc with an additional ssd installed.

Doubt it would now qualify for a manufacturers guarantee so anyone have any idea what it may be worth.
I would of course be open to a sensible offer if you know of anyone who wants one of these.

Offline Marc_250  
#20 Posted : 07 September 2017 10:47:00(UTC)
Marc_250

Bit of a niche I recon 'gaming laptops'. They look awful and are bulky etc and can't imagine a serious 'PC Gamer' would consider one over a desktop.

Best bet is chuck it on ebay etc maybe you'll get 4-500 quid
Offline Georgeski  
#21 Posted : 08 September 2017 09:11:30(UTC)
Georgeski

Had a good go in D2 last night and it really is very good, worth getting even if you didn't like D1 (which I wasn't keen on).