Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Xan  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2017 21:04:37(UTC)
Xan

So as the title says, when I put the gear lever into reverse the reverse lights don't come on. I've changed both bulbs and I've tried the trick of putting on the front windshield wipers and then putting the car into reverse which should then activate the rear window wiper, but that does not work either.

So it can be three things as far as I'm aware. The fuse, the switch or the wiring. I stripped out most of the things that are in the way (Battery cover, ECU, airbox, etc) to get to the fuses on the inside of the engine bay but (surprise surprise) they're not labelled. Can anyone tell me which fuse the reverse lights would use?

The next thing I'd test is the gearbox switch (which is a b**** to get to!!). Can I just use unplug the connector, pop it in reverse and check if there is any resistance coming off the switch? (I'd probably need to have the ignition on to test the switch right? Kind of impossible seeing as the battery needs to be taken out to even access the switch, grrr).

And if all else fails it might be the wiring.

If you guys can offer any advise on the above I'd really appreciate it. I'll also take some photos if required.

EDIT: Sorry, I notice I've posted in completely the wrong section. Mods please move to the relevant Megane section of the forum.

Edited by user 09 November 2017 05:04:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sunnylunn  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2017 07:37:34(UTC)
sunnylunn

have you checked the fuses next to the glovebox?
Offline Xan  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2017 14:40:41(UTC)
Xan

Originally Posted by: sunnylunn Go to Quoted Post
have you checked the fuses next to the glovebox?

I have yes but the fuse for the reverse lights are not in there. I found a workshop manual which shows the fuse is in the fusebox in the engine so I'll check that tonight. Hoping for the best...
Offline sunnylunn  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2017 15:46:29(UTC)
sunnylunn

bugger, its not a great place to put the other fuse box is it, a pain to get at, hope you get it sorted.
Offline Xan  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2017 21:05:30(UTC)
Xan

So after several hours of struggling, I've checked ALL the fuses in the fusebox inside the engine bay and they are all fine. After that I stripped down even more to get to the switch (it's right on top of the gearbox to the left of the linkages if anyone was wondering). I popped out the connector, bridged it with my battery I took out earlier but no lights came on.

So just as a last check I got some spare wire I had laying around and connected them to both pins on the switch on the gearbox, then took an older reverse globe I had and connected it all up to the battery I had taken out earlier, manually put the car in reverse with the linkages and boom, the globe came on. So the switch is definitely working and it seems now like it's something to do with the wiring to the reverse lights. Either that or there's a connection problem on the wiring of the tail lights. But because the battery (and pretty much everything else electrical in the engine bay) was removed, I couldn't open up the boot to check it out since it's electronic (grrrr Angry).

So tomorrow night I'll put everything back together, pop open the boot, take the battery to the back of the car and try bridging the connectors going into the tail light for the reverse lights (the wires should be the same colour as the connector plug for the reverse switch in the gearbox. Hopefully..)

As a possible last resort fix, I think I'll just cut the wires off of the gearbox switch connector, rewire my own cables and run it underneath the car to the rear and connect it there to the reverse light pins on the tail lights. I'll post updates as I go along with this.
Offline ScottJ92  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2019 19:12:43(UTC)
ScottJ92

Hello I know it’s a bit outdated but I have the same problem with and to get to the switch just take off the near side front wheel and you will see the switch just above the drive shaft As to the switch work the problem is inside the gearbox there is a pin that the switch connects to that will be bent and not making a connection with the switch 2 things you can do. 1 is to drop the gearbox out and straighten the pin or 2 just wire a separate switch to your dash press it when you want to reverse and press to turn off