Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

49 Pages«<2122232425>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#551 Posted : 31 January 2018 13:12:30(UTC)
Jeremy

Originally Posted by: Andy Poulton Go to Quoted Post
Confused re specs??

Auto Express says in the review

"Our first drive, in a sport chassis spec with the DC gearbox, reveals that in Comfort or Normal mode you would be hard pressed to to tell the difference between a standard Megane and the RS in terms of refinement. Its quite smooth and incredibly compliant"

What are they talking about?

It sounds like Suspension settings?
[Or EDC box]

Suspension settings is Exactly what I want!

Cheers Andy

Through the MultiSense programme, you can change the throttle map, EDC change speeds, ESC setting, power steering weight, interior lighting. You cannot change the suspension settings, the dampers aren't adjustable

Offline mattyw  
#552 Posted : 31 January 2018 13:46:08(UTC)
mattyw

Thanks Jeremy - if we can order the 300 in October I'm assuming there will be another press drive lined up for the trophy release any idea on the month? And when will prices be released?

Ideally I want to test drive a 280, read 300 reviews then decide on order
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#553 Posted : 31 January 2018 13:47:55(UTC)
Jeremy

Originally Posted by: mattyw Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Jeremy - if we can order the 300 in October I'm assuming there will be another press drive lined up for the trophy release any idea on the month? And when will prices be released?

Ideally I want to test drive a 280, read 300 reviews then decide on order

the date for the Trophy drive isn't confirmed yet

Offline Andy Poulton  
#554 Posted : 31 January 2018 14:45:37(UTC)
Andy Poulton

Originally Posted by: Jeremy RUK Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Andy Poulton Go to Quoted Post
Confused re specs??

Auto Express says in the review

"Our first drive, in a sport chassis spec with the DC gearbox, reveals that in Comfort or Normal mode you would be hard pressed to to tell the difference between a standard Megane and the RS in terms of refinement. Its quite smooth and incredibly compliant"

What are they talking about?

It sounds like Suspension settings?
[Or EDC box]

Suspension settings is Exactly what I want!

Cheers Andy

Through the MultiSense programme, you can change the throttle map, EDC change speeds, ESC setting, power steering weight, interior lighting. You cannot change the suspension settings, the dampers aren't adjustable

Thanks Jeremy for the prompt answer.
Guessed that there were some 'small' wires crossed at AEX
Cheers Andy

Offline CraigI  
#555 Posted : 31 January 2018 21:03:48(UTC)
CraigI

This all looks very promising.
Manual Trophy for me.
Likely order summer 19,wait until my Cup-S is around 3years old.

Jeremy, can you confirm that the Trophy isn’t a limited edition or limited time run?
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#556 Posted : 01 February 2018 07:14:05(UTC)
Jeremy

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
This all looks very promising.
Manual Trophy for me.
Likely order summer 19,wait until my Cup-S is around 3years old.

Jeremy, can you confirm that the Trophy isn’t a limited edition or limited time run?

confirmed Craig

Offline RSaddict  
#557 Posted : 01 February 2018 11:42:55(UTC)
RSaddict

Can’t wait for the end of the year to get my order in!

I have a question, not sure if it can be answered yet, how does the 4control react in the following situation?

Enter a bend below 37mph and rear wheels turn initially in opposite direction, accelerate beyond 37 mph whilst still in bend - what do the rears do? As technically they should now be pointing in same direction as the fronts?

My assumption is they don’t change to the opposite direction until steering angle is back to centre, but is there any info on this?

Just curious!
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#558 Posted : 01 February 2018 11:52:12(UTC)
Jeremy

Originally Posted by: RSaddict Go to Quoted Post
Can’t wait for the end of the year to get my order in!

I have a question, not sure if it can be answered yet, how does the 4control react in the following situation?

Enter a bend below 37mph and rear wheels turn initially in opposite direction, accelerate beyond 37 mph whilst still in bend - what do the rears do? As technically they should now be pointing in same direction as the fronts?

My assumption is they don’t change to the opposite direction until steering angle is back to centre, but is there any info on this?

Just curious!

It's not one single movement that happens at that precise speed.

Offline Colm_ire  
#559 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:01:58(UTC)
Colm_ire

Can the limited slip differential be added to the manual Sport chassis car as an option?

Reason: i want the more compliant Sport chassis riding on 18" rims for bumpy British/Irish B roads, but given that the Sport has an equal 280hp to the Cup, i also want the traction benefit the diff provides
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#560 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:05:12(UTC)
Jeremy

Originally Posted by: Colm_ire Go to Quoted Post
Can the limited slip differential be added to the manual Sport chassis car as an option?

Reason: i want the more compliant Sport chassis riding on 18" rims for bumpy British/Irish B roads, but given that the Sport has an equal 280hp to the Cup, i also want the traction benefit the diff provides

Hi - no it can't

Offline Colm_ire  
#561 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:13:43(UTC)
Colm_ire

Many thanks for the swift reply.

This makes no sense, could you explain why not please?

The compliant ride from the Sport chassis riding on 18" on bumpy B roads, coupled with added traction from a LSD is essential for Britain.
Why force customers that want the traction that the LSD provides to compromise ride quality/compliance on our B roads by insisting on running the firmer Cup suspension in order to avail of the LSD.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#562 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:24:57(UTC)
Jeremy

Many thanks for the swift reply.

The compliant ride from the Sport chassis riding on 18" on bumpy B roads, coupled with added traction from a LSD is essential for Britain.
Why force customers that want the traction that the LSD provides to compromise ride quality/compliance on our B roads by insisting on running the firmer Cup suspension in order to avail of the LSD.

A customer invests money in the purchase of a car. With that investment, we need to decide where to prioritise that money.

Diversity of the offer adds cost. We are the only manufacturer to offer two suspension settings with two gearbox options. The focus has to be on the options that will be the most popular and, sadly, that's not going to suit every single person but, with the scope of the offer, it odes have a much wider appeal than having just one setting and one gearbox. Sorry to be the bearer of news that doesn't suit your specific requirements

Offline probecomp  
#563 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:31:05(UTC)
probecomp

That has always been the case, with all the previous Meganes... You choose between either comfort, or a more drive-focused setup.

The added traction of the LSD only comes into effect under power and in corners, and for best cornering performance, you typically want less chassis roll, such as provided by the firmer cup chassis.

Btw, in the new Megane, the cup chassis is only 10% stiffer - which is really not that much of a difference...

Edited by user 01 February 2018 12:31:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Colm_ire  
#564 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:35:05(UTC)
Colm_ire

Thanks for info.

However, you are incorrect. VW offer both Golf R and GTI with manual/DSG and dynamic chassis control, therefore not forcing the customer to have a less compliant ride because they want a LSD. The performance pack with LSD can be added to manual or DSG cars with or without dynamic chassis control, and to further add to the options dynamic chassis control doesn't force the customer to choose one suspension setting at purchase time to fit all conditions.

And personally i don't want an auto, but i do want compliant suspension and an LSD.

Hyundai i30N, Civic type R also have an LSD and dynamically allow the customer to adjust suspension settings to suit conditions by provide suspension modes.

So in fact, Renault is behind the times by forcing customers to be stuck with firmer suspension if they want an LSD, something which Renault's competitors are not doing. In 2018 customers expect choice, which other manufacturers are delivering.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#565 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:38:42(UTC)
Jeremy

Thanks for info.

However, you are incorrect. VW offer both Golf R and GTI with manual/DSG and dynamic chassis control, therefore not forcing the customer to have a less compliant ride because they want a LSD. The performance pack with LSD can be added to manual or DSG cars with or without dynamic chassis control, and to further add to the options dynamic chassis control doesn't force the customer to choose one suspension setting at purchase time to fit all conditions.

And personally i don't want an auto, but i do want compliant suspension and an LSD.

Hyundai i30N, Civic type R also have an LSD and dynamically allow the customer to adjust suspension settings to suit conditions by provide suspension modes.

So in fact, Renault is behind the times by forcing customers to be stuck with firmer suspension if they want an LSD, something which Renault's competitors are not doing. In 2018 customers expect choice, which other manufacturers are delivering.

Ok, sorry we couldn't supply your needs. Good luck with what ever you purchase

Offline johnny#178  
#566 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:05:28(UTC)
johnny#178

I like this comment Cool
Offline John_walker74  
#567 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:05:49(UTC)
John_walker74

Perhaps the use of hydraulic bump stops has enabled the initial suspension travel to be softened a little. I really don't see it as an issue, but if it is a requirement for you then vote with your feet and buy from another manufacturer - we are really fortunate at the moment to be in a golden era for hot hatches with so many high quality offerings (although becoming a tad pricey).
Offline titian  
#568 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:45:30(UTC)
titian

Thanks for info.

Ha ha ha ha
Offline titian  
#569 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:50:32(UTC)
titian

i had a 220 trophy which I sold for a seat Leon 290 dsg (which I'm still not convinced was a good move) Could you tell me what diff the edc gearbox has please, is it mechanical or clutch type as fitted the the drive shaft
Thanks

Edited by user 01 February 2018 13:52:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jeremy RUK  
#570 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:51:49(UTC)
Jeremy

Originally Posted by: titian Go to Quoted Post
i had a 220 trophy which I sold for a seat Leon 290 dsg (which I'm still not convinced was a good move) Could you tell what diff the edc gearbox has, is it mechanical or clutch type as fitted the the drive shaft
Thanks

The Clio doesn't have a mechanical diff

Offline Marc_250  
#571 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:52:46(UTC)
Marc_250

The guy going on about the suspension options need to wait to try one before crying about it. Maybe a Cup Megane rides we well/better than a Type R in soft mode?

Does the Cup Chassis cars come with 19" wheels by default, read a couple of reviews that seemed to suggest this?
Offline titian  
#572 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:55:05(UTC)
titian

Originally Posted by: titian Go to Quoted Post
i had a 220 trophy which I sold for a seat Leon 290 dsg (which I'm still not convinced was a good move) Could you tell what diff the edc gearbox has, is it mechanical or clutch type as fitted the the drive shaft
Thanks

The Clio doesn't have a mechanical diff

Meant the Megane sorry
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#573 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:55:38(UTC)
Jeremy

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
The guy going on about the suspension options need to wait to try one before crying about it. Maybe a Cup Megane rides we well/better than a Type R in soft mode?

Does the Cup Chassis cars come with 19" wheels by default, read a couple of reviews that seemed to suggest this?

No, the 19s are an option

Offline Colm_ire  
#574 Posted : 01 February 2018 14:59:34(UTC)
Colm_ire

Funny to watch the fan boys get upset when someone says something that isn’t complimentary about their beloved. I suppose it is a Renault Sport forum so that is to be expected.

Demand more folks, in 2018 it is no longer good enough for a manufacturer to limit customers to choose one suspension setup on a hot hatch designed for use every day use in all road conditions, and maybe track also for some people, hence why Hyundai, VW, Honda etc either provide adjustable suspension as standard or as an optional extra via dynamic chassis control in the case of VW, whereby a diff can also be selected with the performance pack, but there is no co-dependency on selection.

Regardless of ones passion for Renault Sport, it’s impossible to deny that limiting an LSD to a specific suspension setup is ridiculous. Because someone drives on poor quality roads and therefore wants the most compliant suspension, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be able to pay for an optional extra of an LSD also and the extra traction it brings, particularly, but not limited to, wet conditions in low gears. It would be understandable if the Cup version was a different engine or different ratio gearbox etc, but it isn’t.

In any case, best of luck to anyone that buys one. Shame Renault haven’t allowed customers choice in something so fundamental as chassis and differential setup, as it is a very good looking car. Hopefully in future versions Renault with join the other hot hatch leaders in allowing more customisable setup options.

Offline Breadvan Matt  
#575 Posted : 01 February 2018 15:01:57(UTC)
Breadvan Matt

Originally Posted by: johnny#178 Go to Quoted Post

I like this comment Cool

Ever get that feeling that someone will always find something to complain about?