Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline autoweld  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2018 12:33:40(UTC)
autoweld

Hi I’ve just changed the timing belt and dephaser on my Clio RS 182 and after I’ve put everything back together and tried to start it, I have the STOP light come on and the starter motor doesn’t seem to engage. And when it did sound like it might turn over there was a back fire. I’ve not changed the belt and pulley before or set the timing up! I’m wondering if it might be a timing issue? I used the correct timing tool and checked all the timing marks by hand before putting it all back together. Have I over looked anything? Or do I need to take it apart and check all the timing again? Thanks for any helpful information 👍🏻
Offline Georgeski  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2018 12:48:55(UTC)
Georgeski

So you have definitely used the correct locking tool?
Offline autoweld  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2018 13:08:38(UTC)
autoweld

Yes by what was strange was the half moons on the end of the cams that the locking tool slides into the intake cam had the small half moon at the top and I think it’s meant to have both big half moons at the top! But it was like this when it was set up before. I had to lock the flywheel using a round bolt that came with the timing kit using it in between the flywheel teeth when torquing up the crank pulley bolt. And also used the longer crank TDC bolt to lock the crank. After changing the belt and dephaser I took off all the locking tools and hand turned the engine and all the timing marks landed up and all the locking tools when back in. When I tried to start it up using the key, it sounded like the starter wasn’t engaging and just spinning like it didn’t have enough power from the battery. I used a jump pack on the battery and tried again and again and that’s when I got a back fire. There are no DTC showing so it’s probably not the crank shaft sensor. But at this point I’m all out of ideas.
Offline autoweld  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2018 13:11:54(UTC)
autoweld

Sorry about the wrong words here and there! Forgot to check the auto correction 🤦🏻‍♂️
Offline autoweld  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2018 10:08:24(UTC)
autoweld

I managed to fix and correct my problem. I had not locked the camshafts with the horseshoe locking tool before I undid the intake dephaser pulley nut! Once the tension was off , the cam rotated 180 degrees and that’s what went wrong. I had to take off the rocker cover and reset the intake camshaft then put it all back together. Luckily there was no damage to the valves and it has equal compression in all cylinders. If anyone is looking at doing this job themselves make sure you do everything in the right order, as it is easy to go wrong 😳