Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Georgeski  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2014 20:53:27(UTC)
Georgeski

http://www.pistonheads.c...efault.asp?storyId=29776

Nice write up. Aside from the looks, it sounds pretty appealing.
Offline Penn  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2014 21:07:25(UTC)
Penn

You need to be a massive Subaru fan to buy one. I can see the appeal until you look at the overall package, it's all just too outdated.

Question though, if this is 29k, how in gods name can they sell the BRZ for 26k!?!
Offline Georgeski  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2014 21:12:06(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Penn Go to Quoted Post
You need to be a massive Subaru fan to buy one. I can see the appeal until you look at the overall package, it's all just too outdated.

Question though, if this is 29k, how in gods name can they sell the BRZ for 26k!?!

No for me, but I bet it is a very good drive.
Offline g7egt  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2014 19:08:01(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post

Yes good write up, lose the rear wing and it would be ok with me in the winter, great sound on the video. Nice to have it back and some different from the rest of the herd so to speak.
Offline Marc_250  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2014 19:30:34(UTC)
Marc_250

Doesn't have any appeal to me. Not sure why but looks dated and will it actually be any good? Probably not.
Offline Georgeski  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2014 19:47:22(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: g7egt Go to Quoted Post

Yes good write up, lose the rear wing and it would be ok with me in the winter, great sound on the video. Nice to have it back and some different from the rest of the herd so to speak.

Agree with you, especially the point of it being nice to have something else in the marketplace.
Offline carl46  
#7 Posted : 10 April 2014 22:31:17(UTC)
carl46

I quite like it although not sure I would buy one but at 29k does represent good value especially with Subaru impreza exclusivity, only downer may be if you track day it and get beaten by an old t reg impreza turbo not that this has ever happened to me!
User is suspended until 17/10/2041 21:15:06(UTC) ASH  
#8 Posted : 10 April 2014 22:51:04(UTC)
ASH

Originally Posted by: carl46 Go to Quoted Post
I quite like it although not sure I would buy one but at 29k does represent good value especially with Subaru impreza exclusivity, only downer may be if you track day it and get beaten by an old t reg impreza turbo not that this has ever happened to me!

Do you actually own a Megane? You keep banging on that others don't own one.

Offline Berty  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2014 07:32:41(UTC)
Rob

Great, another thread descending into school yard behaviour.

Back on topic, I'm glad that the wrx is back, but it seems that Subaru still haven't realised they need to keep up with the times. The interior still looks like it was designed for a 1990s Japanese rep mobile, and the economy figures just don't cut it any more. For me the exclusivity isn't worth the sacrifices over something like the golf r.
Offline rich_y2  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2014 11:59:37(UTC)
rich_y2

I'm a fan of Subaru and owned a few Impreza's back in the day. I actually think this looks a bit better and sounds like the interior trim is improved although over the most recent versions, still not the last word in design (but then again most Japanese brands are the same - Toyota/Honda/Nissan all are behind BMW/Audi etc I would say).

I reckon this will drive much better than a Golf R or S3 much like a Meg 265 would do, far more driver focused but that's not the mass market nowadays. I also wonder if Subaru's MPG numbers are less creative than some of their competitors, yes I'm sure the VAG group motors are more efficient but as much as they claim...drive them as intended and I reckon the difference will be much closer. For me a car like this has to stand out, has to drive well on our back roads and has to have character and the STI would tick those boxes for me over a Golf any day. Wish I could fit this on the drive!
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#11 Posted : 12 April 2014 15:11:44(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Emissions of 245g!
Offline Kirsty172  
#12 Posted : 12 April 2014 18:02:59(UTC)
Kirsty172

i'm gonna party like its 1999.
Offline g7egt  
#13 Posted : 12 April 2014 20:04:26(UTC)
g7egt

Never seen a quick impreza on a track day yet.

Edited by user 12 April 2014 20:05:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline carl46  
#14 Posted : 12 April 2014 21:55:10(UTC)
carl46

there are plenty of quick imprezas doing track days although most are enthusiasts cars and probably non standard, I doubt the new one will be any quicker than imprezas of old but will still be a very quick point to point car.
Offline g7egt  
#15 Posted : 13 April 2014 06:56:58(UTC)
g7egt

there are plenty of quick imprezas doing track days although most are enthusiasts cars and probably non standard, I doubt the new one will be any quicker than imprezas of old but will still be a very quick point to point car.

I am glad the motoring hacks had a good time in it on the recent launch event, it's good to have something differentBig Smile
Offline Georgeski  
#16 Posted : 12 January 2019 09:18:57(UTC)
Georgeski

Would be interested to know if anyone on here has owned one of the last generation of inmprezas, so the hatchback shape available from ~2007 to 2012?
Offline FramerateUK  
#17 Posted : 14 January 2019 19:17:05(UTC)
FramerateUK

Would be interested to know if anyone on here has owned one of the last generation of inmprezas, so the hatchback shape available from ~2007 to 2012?

My dad had a 330S when it was released (the hatchback shape) and then had the saloon version of the STI when it was released (the one with the same front). We used to do trackdays together back when I had my 250 Cup.

The 330S was a decent car but ended up consuming more oil than petrol in the last few months, hence the move to the saloon version. It's a common problem with the EJ25 engine when at higher tunes (320bhp+), hence why Subaru kept the recent Imprezas at 300, and why the more powerful Japanese versions use the old EJ20 engine instead.

He's had quite a few Imprezas and the one that stands out as the best to me was the WR1 (the "blob eye" shape).
Offline Georgeski  
#18 Posted : 15 January 2019 09:32:20(UTC)
Georgeski

Thanks for th feedback FramerateUK. I was looking at the hatch because I like how (relatively) understanded it looks for a daily hack and the suspension is quite soft (a big plus as some of the roads I drive on are shockingly bad). From the research I had done th eaccepted wisdom seemed to be that the standard models, WRX (230bhp) WRX-S (250bhp) and STI (300bhp), were all running lean from the factory and hence the engine problems/failures, but the other models which had either Prodrive or Cosworth maps were fine. Really worryiing if the 330S has issues as that should’ve been fine.......... To be honest I’m starting to think that the shocking mpg and road tax (as much as my V8 M3) probably make it unsuitable for a daily driver.....
I have always liked the look of the Mazda 3 MPS too and they are now relatively cheap, but the suspension is apparently quite stiff and has to be otherwise it suffers from wild torque steer. It also isn’t AWD, but does tick the 5dr box.

Edited by user 15 January 2019 09:52:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline FramerateUK  
#19 Posted : 15 January 2019 13:44:56(UTC)
FramerateUK

Thanks for th feedback FramerateUK. I was looking at the hatch because I like how (relatively) understanded it looks for a daily hack and the suspension is quite soft (a big plus as some of the roads I drive on are shockingly bad). From the research I had done th eaccepted wisdom seemed to be that the standard models, WRX (230bhp) WRX-S (250bhp) and STI (300bhp), were all running lean from the factory and hence the engine problems/failures, but the other models which had either Prodrive or Cosworth maps were fine. Really worryiing if the 330S has issues as that should’ve been fine.......... To be honest I’m starting to think that the shocking mpg and road tax (as much as my V8 M3) probably make it unsuitable for a daily driver.....
I have always liked the look of the Mazda 3 MPS too and they are now relatively cheap, but the suspension is apparently quite stiff and has to be otherwise it suffers from wild torque steer. It also isn’t AWD, but does tick the 5dr box.

There's lots of stuff online about problems with the 330S. Seems to be a bit of a lottery. Not sure about the CS400.

His 2012 STI saloon had no such problems (I think he also had another in 2013 but they were basically the same model), and he's got the last version of the STI at the moment and it's been fine. He's retired in the past years though so he's not doing the mileage he was.

The general consensus seemed to be that you needed forged pistons, uprated head studs and gaskets to be safe - big spend though!

As far as being softer, it definitely is, and it's quite a nice daily. Fuel consumption is better than older Imprezas thanks to the different driving modes. His long term average MPG was high 20's and we saw 33mpg on one run down to the Nurburgring. Just to add though, the ride is much harder on the saloon that followed it and the current shape.

He's had every shape since the 2000 Turbo (my favourite to look at and the car I learnt to drive in LOL ) with the exception of the 'snake eyes' model.

I was hoping the latest STI would go back to the EJ20 or provide a turbo'd version of the BRZ engine (I loved the look of the car and was planning to get one after my 250 Cup), but sadly they dropped the EJ25 in again. I have to be honest, I wouldn't go near one with that engine!

Edited by user 15 January 2019 13:50:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Georgeski  
#20 Posted : 15 January 2019 14:31:51(UTC)
Georgeski

Must’ve been great having a father that’s into cars and had pretty much every model, especially the 2000 turbo to learn to drive in. For some reason in my mind you can’t call up yourself a petrolhead if you haven’t owned an Alfa and a fast Japanese car at some point!

It’s the softer suspension that really appeals in the hatch, but th engine does seem a bit of a nightmare......... There are a few JDM imports though, which obviously means you get the EJ20 engine. I might have to do a bit of man maths and have a look at one. There is currently a low mileage one advertised that looks like a good buy...........
Offline FramerateUK  
#21 Posted : 15 January 2019 20:58:21(UTC)
FramerateUK

Must’ve been great having a father that’s into cars and had pretty much every model, especially the 2000 turbo to learn to drive in. For some reason in my mind you can’t call up yourself a petrolhead if you haven’t owned an Alfa and a fast Japanese car at some point!

It’s the softer suspension that really appeals in the hatch, but th engine does seem a bit of a nightmare......... There are a few JDM imports though, which obviously means you get the EJ20 engine. I might have to do a bit of man maths and have a look at one. There is currently a low mileage one advertised that looks like a good buy...........

Yeah it wasn't the easiest car to learn clutch control in LOL.

I though I'd read that the standard WRX and STI models were less prone to the problems, but it's been ages since I've done any digging into them so you may be right about them being just as problematic.

Another option might be to find one that's already been forged. I bet there's a few about!
Offline Georgeski  
#22 Posted : 15 January 2019 21:30:36(UTC)
Georgeski

You're right about there being a few about, it's seems that roughly a third of the cars advertised currently have had the engine rebuilt/forged..... 😂
Offline Georgeski  
#23 Posted : 15 January 2019 21:32:27(UTC)
Georgeski

All the combat warning indicators are there to say its a terrible idea.... But I really want one for some reason......
Offline Georgeski  
#24 Posted : 16 January 2019 10:51:53(UTC)
Georgeski

One of the advantages of an imported car (aside from the more reliable engine), is the much cheaper car tax it seems!
Offline FramerateUK  
#25 Posted : 16 January 2019 14:09:26(UTC)
FramerateUK

Haha, that doesn't surprise me! Maybe best to avoid the ones with huge exhausts if you want it as a daily LOL.

Yeah the tax was always £400+ a year on these. I guess they fall into the £220 a year tax for an import, much more reasonable!