Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theos  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2018 10:21:33(UTC)
Giacomo

So, I am interested in honest opinions regarding how stiff the RS 280 CUP suspension is, compared to the Megane 3 RS CUP and also the Sport suspension (non CUP).

I know that many testers reported that the new RS 280 CUP is a bit softer than the Meg 3 RS CUP, but if so, does this mean that the RS 280 CUP is almost like the Meg 3 RS Sport (non CUP) ?

Any input/feedback on this would be extremely much appreciated.

Edited by user 29 September 2018 12:00:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Georgeski  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2018 13:10:15(UTC)
Georgeski

Does the relative stiffness really matter?

Surely its best to test drive the 280 so you can ascertain whether you like it of not in that regard.
Offline g7egt  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2018 13:33:25(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: Theos Go to Quoted Post
So, I am interested in honest opinions regarding how stiff the RS 280 CUP suspension is, compared to the Megane 3 RS CUP and also the Sport suspension (non CUP).

I know that many testers reported that the new RS 280 CUP is a bit softer than the Meg 3 RS CUP, but if so, does this mean that the RS 280 CUP is almost like the Meg 3 RS Sport (non CUP) ?

I have a CUP S and RS280 CUP, the CUP S seems to settle better over bumps than the RS280 CUP and the steering is definitely less corrupted when you accelerate, the toque in the RS280 comes in much earlier and makes a big difference, you have to hang on as it gets very busy. The CUP S is slightly less bumpy as well, but does not feel as sharp as the RS280 on turn in.
I like them bothBig Smile . To me they feel very different.
Offline Theos  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2018 14:43:58(UTC)
Giacomo

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
Does the relative stiffness really matter?

Surely its best to test drive the 280 so you can ascertain whether you like it of not in that regard.

Yes it matters, the wife will absolutely kill me if I'll bring home a car not usable as a day to day car. I own a Megane 3 RS 250 non CUP and the ride is quite ok, that's why I need to know how this one is related to the non CUP.

Sadly I can't test it either, the country we live right now for the next 8 years, doesn't have the RS 280 for drivetesting :(((

Edited by user 29 September 2018 16:38:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Georgeski  
#5 Posted : 29 September 2018 14:49:58(UTC)
Georgeski

Ahh, OK.
Offline Rolo  
#6 Posted : 29 September 2018 16:39:31(UTC)
Rolo

All depends what sort of driving you do. I've driven the 280 Cup on track at Silverstone & it was fantastic. I also test drove a 280 Cup on the road & didn't find it too harsh. However, I've ordered mine with the Sport chassis as it will be purely a road car. Sadly, you only get the LSD with the Cup chassis as my ideal car would've been Sport chassis & LSD.
Offline steering1  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2018 18:18:55(UTC)
steering1

Originally Posted by: g7egt Go to Quoted Post

I have a CUP S and RS280 CUP, the CUP S seems to settle better over bumps than the RS280 CUP and the steering is definitely less corrupted when you accelerate, the toque in the RS280 comes in much earlier and makes a big difference, you have to hang on as it gets very busy. The CUP S is slightly less bumpy as well, but does not feel as sharp as the RS280 on turn in.

Journos say, it is more mature than the mk3 one. According to your description, it is exactly thw opposite..
Offline CraigI  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2018 18:33:17(UTC)
CraigI

I found the 280 much more composed than my Cup-S, which crashes through everything.

Do you have Ohlins?
Offline steering1  
#9 Posted : 30 September 2018 19:32:20(UTC)
steering1

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post

I found the 280 much more composed than my Cup-S, which crashes through everything.

Do you have Ohlins?

Hm.... it depends on your supension an tyre setup. Mk3 is more crashy but has better turn in on 19'' for example.
What is your setup ?
Offline CraigI  
#10 Posted : 30 September 2018 19:59:15(UTC)
CraigI

Ohlins (factory setting) with lighter aftermarket 19’s and MPS4.

Edited by user 30 September 2018 20:00:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Theos  
#11 Posted : 30 September 2018 21:42:42(UTC)
Giacomo

No one with a non CUP Meg 3 who has a 280 ?
Offline Colm_ire  
#12 Posted : 07 January 2019 15:12:37(UTC)
Colm_ire

Originally Posted by: Rolo Go to Quoted Post
All depends what sort of driving you do. I've driven the 280 Cup on track at Silverstone & it was fantastic. I also test drove a 280 Cup on the road & didn't find it too harsh. However, I've ordered mine with the Sport chassis as it will be purely a road car. Sadly, you only get the LSD with the Cup chassis as my ideal car would've been Sport chassis & LSD.

Huge oversight/laziness from Renault here. When the specs were announced I got jumped all over by the RS fan boys on this forum for highlighting how out of touch Renault were by forcing customers that wanted an RS to choose a single suspension setup, and worse determining the traction a customer could have access to based on their preference of ride quality, i.e. limiting LSD to stiff Cup chassis only.

RS are stuck in the past, hot hatches have moved on, prices are high and competitors like for example Hyundai, Honda, Seat, VW etc.. respect the fact that the customer may want comfort suspension when cruising around with the missus/kids/etc, and then a stiffer setup for a back road blast. Limiting LSD to stiff suspension only is madness.

The car looks, IMO, the best hot hatch on the market by a margin, and as I'm changing this year it's definitely on my list. However, there are none to test drive in Ireland therefore I'd have to make this insane suspension choice blind. I'm leaning towards Sport chassis, manual & 19" wheels. Although I realise 18" will make it more comfy on bad roads, the Renault Ireland configurator doesn't have 18" option, also the car looks amazing with the 19" so hopefully the Sport chassis would still be compliant and easy to live with.

Concerns are:
i) Traction without LSD. What is it like on a wet, bumpy back road? always spinning up the inside wheel out of slow corners?

ii) Comfort, what is the Sport chassis like over poor quality back roads? (e.g. with lots of filled potholes, i.e. therefore not flat)

iii) Engine. The carwow drag races were very concerning. I drove an i30n which I found quite lethargic and heavy (and not refined enough overall for the daily commute, road noise etc), but it still beat the RS. The RS did unfortunately get whooped.

iv) Renault customer support. Very worrying to hear the disgusting way in which the user 'Del115' has been treated by Renault.

I'd love to hear any thoughts from owners, both good and bad, particularly Sport chassis owners?

Before anyone says, buy a Civic Type R, i need 5 seats, and I want a handbrake.... gravel, ice, muck, and no handbrake, WTF would a man do Confused
Offline olliep396  
#13 Posted : 04 March 2019 23:40:37(UTC)
olliep396

I am just about to hand back a 280 with cup pack just short of 2000 miles on the clock now. had 250 when i picked it up a month ago. (it's been my courtesy car).
its a great car so practical, an RS with cup holders i can use, so comfortable, well made, looks good, nice to drive, android auto, RWS is good, quiet, (switched off the piped sounds).

As my previous car was a 275 trophy with ohlins, the diff/traction seemed better it always pulled me into the corner, the 280 seems to be unsure where its going at times, it feels a much big heavy car at times, and also does not seem as quick. i have a 182 trophy that i took for its mot the other week so the megane had a break for few days and power wise nipping between lights and traffic the clio was more fun and just as quick. My megane always felt quicker than the clio. Then MPG what have they done 280=25mpg 275=28mpg clio=33mpg. it feel the ride is harsher than the 275 also definitely worse than the clio on the same roads.

if i buy and RS i want a 3 door i want to hear the sound of the engine, turbo and akrapovic exhaust, my 275 felt a smaller, lighter, diff and engine pull felt better this is why 4 years ago i brought the megane over a golf.

when it came for my new car i wanted to keep my megane and sell the wifes car but she was having none of it.
i do not want a 3 door car, we need a practical car, i cannot drive that every day blah blah
if i had this megane the strange thing it it probably would have survived, it is a cracking car.
its just more of a golf not and not the hardcore we not care about plastics and cup holders that Renault normally do and that personally like. but still a great car

i have very mixed feeling's the topgear review just about summed it up.

Edited by user 04 March 2019 23:43:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Colm_ire  
#14 Posted : 05 March 2019 10:01:43(UTC)
Colm_ire

Originally Posted by: olliep396 Go to Quoted Post
I am just about to hand back a 280 with cup pack just short of 2000 miles on the clock now. had 250 when i picked it up a month ago. (it's been my courtesy car).
its a great car so practical, an RS with cup holders i can use, so comfortable, well made, looks good, nice to drive, android auto, RWS is good, quiet, (switched off the piped sounds).

As my previous car was a 275 trophy with ohlins, the diff/traction seemed better it always pulled me into the corner, the 280 seems to be unsure where its going at times, it feels a much big heavy car at times, and also does not seem as quick. i have a 182 trophy that i took for its mot the other week so the megane had a break for few days and power wise nipping between lights and traffic the clio was more fun and just as quick. My megane always felt quicker than the clio. Then MPG what have they done 280=25mpg 275=28mpg clio=33mpg. it feel the ride is harsher than the 275 also definitely worse than the clio on the same roads.

if i buy and RS i want a 3 door i want to hear the sound of the engine, turbo and akrapovic exhaust, my 275 felt a smaller, lighter, diff and engine pull felt better this is why 4 years ago i brought the megane over a golf.

when it came for my new car i wanted to keep my megane and sell the wifes car but she was having none of it.
i do not want a 3 door car, we need a practical car, i cannot drive that every day blah blah
if i had this megane the strange thing it it probably would have survived, it is a cracking car.
its just more of a golf not and not the hardcore we not care about plastics and cup holders that Renault normally do and that personally like. but still a great car

i have very mixed feeling's the topgear review just about summed it up.

Thanks for info, very interesting that you can compare the 280Cup with a 275 trophy and 182 trophy having owned or driven all for an extended period, and that the ride was harsher and worse than the other two.

Funny to see journalists opinions:

Henry Catchpole's opinion on ride quality was much like yours:

Rory Reid reckons the Cup chassis is as compliant as a golf GTi.... This seems to be an opinion he is alone in having

Rory Reid: https://twitter.com/MrRo...atus/1102528701827371008

Appreciate your feedback

Edited by user 05 March 2019 10:04:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Georgeski  
#15 Posted : 05 March 2019 10:26:43(UTC)
Georgeski

Interesting - you're not the first person to say that 280 seems to have odd handling at times. A friend is selling his because of it.
Offline Kieranidus  
#16 Posted : 05 March 2019 12:45:49(UTC)
Kieranidus

People Seriously selling a 280 because of such a small thing 🤦‍♂️