Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Colm_ire  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2019 09:42:18(UTC)
Colm_ire

Are there any owners of a new Sport chassis RS here?

Love to hear feedback from owners, thoughts on the car, after owing the car for awhile, was the Sport the right choice for you over the Cup, any drawbacks etc...
Offline Breadvan Matt  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2019 14:38:01(UTC)
Breadvan Matt

Hi Colm. I can't help you right now but if you wait a few weeks I expect to have my EDC sport before the end of March. I can let you know then.
Offline Rusbe  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2019 20:39:49(UTC)
Rusbe

I have one EDC with sport chassis.

11000km. Good feel on the road. Im not speacial hard with it to take circuit sessions or similar. Normal drive usually
going to work or village butt sometimes i take a sport travel in the road.

Offline Theos  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2019 23:18:31(UTC)
Giacomo

Ordered Sport chassis too and I won't look back, the ride quality is day and night compared to a Cup. I am not a proffesional driver, I don't plan to do trackdays so Sport all the way, baby !
Offline CraigI  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2019 23:46:33(UTC)
CraigI

Ford turned your money down did they?
Offline Colm_ire  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2019 09:51:34(UTC)
Colm_ire

Thanks for the replies, very interesting to hear the feedback and look forward to hear Matt's experience
Offline Colm_ire  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2019 09:54:39(UTC)
Colm_ire

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
Ford turned your money down did they?

????
Offline rjohn1  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2019 12:11:26(UTC)
rjohn1

I ordered the Sport version the other weekend, but spent last week wondering if the Cup was worth the money. A few days of driving in the rain made me wonder how much help the slip diff would offer, helped a lot in my gf's Audi TT. The order for my RS with the Cup chassis is finalised today so I can't go back on the upgrade. Hopefully won't be the 16 week wait for delivery to find out I was wrong...
Offline TipsyBob  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2019 14:05:13(UTC)
TipsyBob

I didn't find the difference between cup and sport "day and night" tbh.

I found the cup chassis in comfort mode to be absolutely fine hence, my cup liquid yellow beast is due next week hopefully.

I don't recall any review I've read or watched recommending the sport over the cup (I'm sure there are some) but i do note on a number of them that they often say the cup with the manual is the one to have. Makes sense to get the LSD.
Offline vasterad  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2019 15:24:19(UTC)
vasterad

Originally Posted by: TipsyBob Go to Quoted Post

I found the cup chassis in comfort mode to be absolutely fine hence,

Megane doesn't have an adaptive suspension so comfort mode does not change anything. Wink

I compared ride height between by sport and friend's cup chassis and seems that cup is lower about 1cm. CUP seems to be a bit more harsh but it wasn't objective comparision because we had different winter tires. Anyway, definitely not day&night.

Edited by user 12 March 2019 15:26:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Colm_ire  
#11 Posted : 27 March 2019 09:44:52(UTC)
Colm_ire

Extract below from Autocar review of the Trophy on UK roads

"What's it like?
Cup chassis-equipped versions of the standard Megane RS are already cars you’d describe as being characterised by a distinct sense of attack. It’s hardly surprising, therefore, to find the Trophy feels just as hawkish.

The ride is almost comically firm. The Trophy does not adopt a policy of interaction with the road surface underwheel, instead feeling as though it’s trying to pummell the Tarmac into submission. It’s a teeth-rattlingly aggressive set-up. You really need to be moving at a fair lick before you can extract so much as a drop of pliancy from this particular hot hatch, and I don’t think I’d want to drive one without the hydraulic compression stops housed within each of the dampers. Certainly not on UK roads, anyway."

Sport chassis owners have chosen well for a daily car that people have to live with everyday for years.
Offline Marc_250  
#12 Posted : 27 March 2019 23:19:39(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: Colm_ire Go to Quoted Post
Extract below from Autocar review of the Trophy on UK roads

"What's it like?
Cup chassis-equipped versions of the standard Megane RS are already cars you’d describe as being characterised by a distinct sense of attack. It’s hardly surprising, therefore, to find the Trophy feels just as hawkish.

The ride is almost comically firm. The Trophy does not adopt a policy of interaction with the road surface underwheel, instead feeling as though it’s trying to pummell the Tarmac into submission. It’s a teeth-rattlingly aggressive set-up. You really need to be moving at a fair lick before you can extract so much as a drop of pliancy from this particular hot hatch, and I don’t think I’d want to drive one without the hydraulic compression stops housed within each of the dampers. Certainly not on UK roads, anyway."

Sport chassis owners have chosen well for a daily car that people have to live with everyday for years.

"and I don’t think I’d want to drive one without the hydraulic compression stops housed within each of the dampers", Well I suppose the reviewer is lucky no such option is offered Confused

Anyways the review concludes that the 'trick [cup] chassis' is what they would actually spec
Offline Colm_ire  
#13 Posted : 28 March 2019 09:42:53(UTC)
Colm_ire

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post

"and I don’t think I’d want to drive one without the hydraulic compression stops housed within each of the dampers", Well I suppose the reviewer is lucky no such option is offered Confused

Anyways the review concludes that the 'trick [cup] chassis' is what they would actually spec

Indeed, some people genuinely do love "comically firm, pummeling tarmac in submission and teeth rattling" as the reviewer puts it!!
It's a truly damning review of the all round abilities of the Cup chassis for everyday use

Offline Breadvan Matt  
#14 Posted : 28 March 2019 12:05:43(UTC)
Breadvan Matt

Originally Posted by: Colm_ire Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post

Indeed, some people genuinely do love "comically firm, pummeling tarmac in submission and teeth rattling" as the reviewer puts it!!
It's a truly damning review of the all round abilities of the Cup chassis for everyday use

Colm, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to which Chassis one should choose. It depends on so many different things (are you going to track days, is it an everyday or only car, are you driving on poor UK/Ireland B roads, are you driving on mainly well surfaced motorways etc.....) and finally are you someone who prefers a firm chassis or a soft one. In the end, all this means that you pick the one that suits you. I will use my RS as an everyday car, the wife will be using it, the kids will be in the back most times and my commute to work is a mixture of well surfaced motorways but also some average B roads. So in the end, I picked the Sport chassis. But it definitely doesn't mean I would think anyone picking the CUP chassis is wrong or foolish. I think you should make your decision on whatever suits your everyday needs.
I hope this helps.
Offline rjohn1  
#15 Posted : 28 March 2019 12:15:54(UTC)
rjohn1

There is a little ambiguity I feel. The 280 Cup has reviews saying that its firm, but not too bad (https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/renault/megane/18-rs-cup-5dr/first-drive, https://www.evo.co.uk/renault/megane/20697/new-renault-megane-rs-review-2018-hot-hatch-lives-up-to-expectations amongst others).

Some reviews state that the Cup is 10% stiffer (https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/renault/renault-megane-rs-2018-review/). This review then also states that the 300 Trophy uses the same chassis as the Cup, which is in contrast to that of the Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9gane_Renault_Sport#M%C3%A9gane_Renault_Sport_III,(based_on_2017+,_4th_gen_M%C3%A9gane)). Helpfully as always, this information has no associated citation so is this merely hearsay?

Equally the carmagazine review, this review (https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/renault/megane/18-rs-trophy-5dr/first-drive) along with this one (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/renault/megane-rs/first-drives/renault-megane-rs-trophy-2018-review) all state the Trophy is fine on the roads, despite the expectation it would be a nightmare. Perhaps different people have different definitions of firm and soft? Maybe tyres were at different pressures? The standard 18" alloy wheels have more rubber, so maybe the Sport chassis with 19" alloys is similar to a Cup with 18"?

I do agree that the best option for me may have been the Sport chassis with the Torsen slip diff. Ultimately, I test drove a 280 Cup around Wakefield from Harrats and had no problem with the ride, so I'll be happy with my Cup chassis Megane. If I need to drive on rubbish roads, I'll just steal my girlfriends 4x4...
Offline FramerateUK  
#16 Posted : 28 March 2019 15:56:16(UTC)
FramerateUK

Colm, If you have to moan online to justify your own choice of chassis, then whatever floats your boat.

But there are lots of us to live with the Cup chassis day to day and find it absolutely fine. My back is in excellent shape and neither my other half or the dog have any complaints about the ride LOL

As said before, I wouldn't dream of buying a RenaultSport without the Cup chassis. In the same way that I wouldn't start my day with decaf coffee. It just doesn't quite hit the spot otherwise.
Offline mattyw  
#17 Posted : 29 March 2019 07:45:28(UTC)
mattyw

I wouldn't read anything into those reviewer comments.

Having had an r26, 265 and driven the 280 for an entire weekend I think I'm best placed to say the 280 damping is better and more compliant than the 265 which was a massive step on the r26.

Dread to think what the same reviewer would say if he drove an r26/265 in 2019. You forget they are used to driving E class mercs as dailys.