Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline CraigI  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2019 19:29:48(UTC)
CraigI

Covered just over 600 miles in my Trophy, so here are my thoughts.

Good

Looks - I love the way this car looks – it has the correct level of bulging, a great stance and despite the fact it has 5 doors is well proportioned. It isn’t trying too hard and maintains a degree of sophistication. Spot on (I’m even warming to the wheels). Controversial but a better-looking car than the Mk3 IMO.

Quality – this is a huge step up from the mk3. The infotainment, whilst slightly cumbersome at times, is a great improvement and the dashboard, interior materials etc are all much better. Not as good as VAG, but still a worthy upgrade.

Speed, handling – the way this thing goes round a corner is great. I’m not sure about the reviews that says the 4WS feels artificial, it is barely noticeable although you can feel a slight sensation of what reminds me of a RWD car with great traction powering round a corner – perhaps that’s what feels “artificial”. To me it feels fairly exhilarating and you can notice that you can hold greater speed round the same corners than my previous Cup-S and it’s generally very flat at cornering (although see not good below). Straight line speed is okay, it feels a touch laggy at times in neutral, better feel in sport / race, but it’s noticeably faster than the mk3.

Noise – the Trophy exhaust makes a good noise in all modes, has a nice burble to it. Put it into sport / race and you get the machine gun / popcorn effect. I didn’t think I would like this, but it’s quite addictive. Vast improvement on the Akrapovic in the Mk 3.

Practicality – I have a 5 year old daughter so the 5 door thing is a welcome addition. Good boot too, and good level of kit.

Not good

I don’t like the keyless entry. Appears to have a mind of its own. Will turn off soon.

Damping / handling – I like how the car corners, without a doubt, very rewarding. I don’t think I like when the bump stops do their job though – on an undulating road it feels too soft for me. Some people complain that in the mk4 the Trophy / Cup Chassis damping will be too hard to live with. For me it’s gone slightly too far the other way. Believe it or not I preferred the harshness of the Ohlins and crashing through.

Rear sensors are dreadful. Full beep when a large distance away from whatever it’s sensing.

No RS Monitor installed – will need to get that sorted myself!

Indifferent

Recaro’s – the Recaro’s look great, are of great quality (lift the cabin) and they go very low and I’ve now gelled with the seating position after initially feeling that the lowest setting was perhaps too low. However, either I’ve lost weight, the alcantara has just softened things up or the seats have changed from the Recaro’s from the mk3, as they don’t do a great job at holding you in place. Definitely not as good seats. Would probably still spec them, but I’d prefer the Recaro’s from my old car.

Steering – the neutral setting is fine, with reasonably good feedback and just the right amount of weight to it, however the sport setting is awful. I’ll probably set up Perso with most of the sport settings, but with whatever the neutral steering setting is.

Gear change - not as bad as reviews make out, but not perfect. I think I’m getting used to it already though.

Brakes – they are good, but they don’t feel amazing. The brakes in my mk3 felt better, but I’ve only done 600 miles so far, perhaps they need to bed in?

Overall

It is a Renaultsport for sure (I should know this is my 8th). Has good volumes of excitement and a chunk of character thrown in for good measure. Perhaps a bit more grown up, but that possibly makes it a better day to day prospect which this is for me (although I will sometimes miss some of the harshness of the Cup-S), but it corners very well, maintains speed and is a massive step up in quality.

Is there an easy way to post pics on here?
That’s all that’s missing from the above..

Edited by user 18 May 2019 05:11:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Joakim  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2019 05:57:42(UTC)
Joakim

Youre dealer needs to activate rs monitor. Its in the car already but not activated.
Offline foxspeed  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2019 07:50:30(UTC)
foxspeed

interesting read

rs monitor is standard on trophy so it should work

i am thinking of getting one - dont really want 5 doors but i do like the look of them & the alcantara interior with recaros
Offline f.a.t  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2019 09:30:16(UTC)
f.a.t

Picked up Trophy on Monday and was able to follow my wife driving it. Super aggressive rear stance, great on the road presence. When viewed in the rear mirror car looks super low and wide,the rear lights do a good job of
highlighting the width. Love the dished wheels. I have allways thought the the BMW M3/M4 had the best stance of a road saloon but this car in my opinion tops it. I tried out the lights on full beam last night,brilliant lighting distance reminds me of the old Cibie rally lights. Havent taken it over 3000revs yet(300mls) but can feel the extra torque over my old Trophy. The ride quality, had Ohlins on old Trophy set to Nurbergring spec.This car is softer but absorbs bumpy roads well. Yeh loving it.
Offline Simon  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2019 11:47:43(UTC)
Simon

Loving mine but do agree abt the over sensitive keyless entry ,I have the camera on mine so the reverse sensors not an issue as for the rs monitor ,t be fair havent even used it but it's a toy there if I do
Offline jkp  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2019 11:53:41(UTC)
jkp

Good honest review. Looking forward to getting mine. I know it will have some quirks as all RS cars have. Disappointing that the RS monitor was not up and running when you got it. I will ensure I try mine before leaving the showroom.
Offline Simon  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2019 21:01:49(UTC)
Simon

Get it thrashed in f.a.t you dont wanna end up wiv a lazy turbo
Offline Breadvan Matt  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2019 22:25:25(UTC)
Breadvan Matt

Just noticed my car did have the RS monitor Expert speced but it's not on the interface screen. Just assumed it was missed. But it's good to know that I just need a main dealer to activate it. I'll call them next week.
Offline del115  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2019 08:05:32(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: Breadvan Matt Go to Quoted Post
Just noticed my car did have the RS monitor Expert speced but it's not on the interface screen. Just assumed it was missed. But it's good to know that I just need a main dealer to activate it. I'll call them next week.

As I recall the Monitor Expert comes in two parts.
The Monitor is the software for displaying various telemetry - acceleration, braking, steering wheel angle, 4Control system, temperatures, pressures etc.
If ordered then this should have been set up by your dealer before delivery.
It is available as an R-Link £££'s download so I guess anyone can install this retrospectively.

The 'Expert' part which allows you to film a driving session and overlay the above telemetry data is hardware and requires the installation of a hard disk, in the glove box I believe, to capture and publish any such content.

I too had ordered this but as of last December it was still not available owing to what I was told were technical issues that Renault were in the process of resolving.
I no longer have the car and have not therefore chased this since then so maybe, just maybe this is now operational.
Definitely speak with your dealer to check that the 'Expert' functionality is actually available.

Offline MrRS  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2019 12:02:16(UTC)
MrRS

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Breadvan Matt Go to Quoted Post

As I recall the Monitor Expert comes in two parts.
The Monitor is the software for displaying various telemetry - acceleration, braking, steering wheel angle, 4Control system, temperatures, pressures etc.
If ordered then this should have been set up by your dealer before delivery.
It is available as an R-Link £££'s download so I guess anyone can install this retrospectively.

The 'Expert' part which allows you to film a driving session and overlay the above telemetry data is hardware and requires the installation of a hard disk, in the glove box I believe, to capture and publish any such content.

I too had ordered this but as of last December it was still not available owing to what I was told were technical issues that Renault were in the process of resolving.
I no longer have the car and have not therefore chased this since then so maybe, just maybe this is now operational.
Definitely speak with your dealer to check that the 'Expert' functionality is actually available.

Did you get your car being handed back to the dealership resolved?

Offline robertee  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2019 12:16:51(UTC)
robertee

regarding the "over sensitive keyless entry"
I have my key in a signal jammer bag and find that the car opens and locks within 8 feet of the car, as opposed to when I was making a cup of tea in the kitchen. just something to try
Offline robertee  
#12 Posted : 19 May 2019 12:18:52(UTC)
robertee

As for the steering settings -perso is the way to go with steering ean more importantly, that engine noise
Offline Theos  
#13 Posted : 19 May 2019 18:29:24(UTC)
Giacomo

Originally Posted by: robertee Go to Quoted Post
As for the steering settings -perso is the way to go with steering ean more importantly, that engine noise

From what I understood, you can change the engine noise in all modes, or ?
Offline Simon  
#14 Posted : 20 May 2019 06:56:47(UTC)
Simon

How can u tell if the monitor expert speced the monitor opens but I dont know how or if it records
Offline FramerateUK  
#15 Posted : 20 May 2019 07:44:59(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: MrRS Go to Quoted Post
[

I need to do this. I paid for it with mine but it wasn't available on the launch of the car. I'll probably ask for it to be sorted along with the service when it's due.
Offline Rolo  
#16 Posted : 20 May 2019 17:06:45(UTC)
Rolo

Originally Posted by: robertee Go to Quoted Post
regarding the "over sensitive keyless entry"
I have my key in a signal jammer bag and find that the car opens and locks within 8 feet of the car, as opposed to when I was making a cup of tea in the kitchen. just something to try

Think you need a new "jammer" bag. Picked my RS280 up today. Car only opens when I'm about 3 feet away & when I've got the key in my Faraday pouch I can put it on the bonnet & the keyless entry still wont work: as it should to stop thieving scumbags cloning the signal.
Offline robertee  
#17 Posted : 24 May 2019 20:44:20(UTC)
robertee

Think you need a new "jammer" bag. Picked my RS280 up today. Car only opens when I'm about 3 feet away & when I've got the key in my Faraday pouch I can put it on the bonnet & the keyless entry still wont work: as it should to stop thieving scumbags cloning the signal.
yes my keys in the jammer bag will operate the mirrors from around 8 feet but the doors remain locked till about 3 to 4 feet and automatically locks when at front centre but around 3 feet from rear of car
Offline robertee  
#18 Posted : 24 May 2019 20:45:16(UTC)
robertee

as for getting pictures on here i also wish someone could say how to do it - pretty please
Offline titian  
#19 Posted : 25 May 2019 16:08:05(UTC)
titian

Think imgur
Offline Theos  
#20 Posted : 25 May 2019 18:41:21(UTC)
Giacomo

Not sure why you all are using jammer bags when you can simply press close 2x times and the car wont unlock by proximity anymore on next unlock session. Also, you can completely disable hands free opening from menu.