Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline davbar82  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2019 07:22:26(UTC)
davbar82

Anyone else having issues with pretty bad suspension tramp/hop. I may be using the wrong term here but basically with a bit of right foot in anything damp or more and I can only describe the suspension tramp as horrific.

Firstly good points I guess as I don't want this to be all negative. The cornering is excellent, I run out of courage before the tyres even start talking. When you get a good start the car feels strong all the way to max torque and doesn't drop off like a stone if you do take her to the red line which is nice. Inside is a very nice place to be, nothing too fancy, everything is driver focused and I like that.

But...the suspension tramp I'm getting is just awful. Coming from the 275 sport to this I can only describe my transition as disappointing so far. Despite all the positives above they're being trumped for me by the suspension tramping I'm experiencing when it's mildly greasy outside. My old motor (275 sport) if I was a bit too spirited with the right foot would reward that poor throttle control with a bit of spin and I'd look a bit daft at the lights, the 280 sounds like it's about to self destruct. Instead of just spinning a little and making you look stupid the tramping is so horrific I'm genuinely concerned something is gonna go bang, obviously I'm off the pedal asap to cut it out but why is it so severe Vs the older model. Sport chassis Vs Cup chassis? It's bad enough that after less than 2k miles I had it on the ramps to have the links/bushes checked over and everything's tight as it should be. The only time I've experienced something like this in the past is with an old astra van that some dafty but lowering springs on and that would tramp down the road when the wheels span up.

Is there anything I can do to other than the obvious of not spinning up the wheels...I've heard poly bushes might help? and possibly changing the tyres to something slightly softer, apparently the Bridgestones are very firm? It's always the drivers side that tramps presumably because the drive shaft is longer? This might sound like a daft question and I'm no expert by any stretch but why is the suspension tramping rather than just spinning the wheel a bit like the 275 used to? Apologies if that's dumb, looking for any advice possible. Even if it sounds dumb to you I wont be offended :)

Sorry for the wall...

This car without that tramping...oh wow that would be a thing!

Offline rjohn1  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2019 10:07:35(UTC)
rjohn1

Do you know what driving mode you were in? I seem to remember reading something saying traction control was off in Race or Sport...
Offline Sprocker  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2019 10:19:14(UTC)
Sprocker

Yep it's terrible, really bad.
I had exactly the same issue with my astra j vxr for 4 years, I got tyres on the drive to swap the original p zeros for mpss and the axle tramp went, completely gone and never came back for the last 2 years I owned the car.
Offline davbar82  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2019 11:49:42(UTC)
davbar82

Originally Posted by: rjohn1 Go to Quoted Post
Do you know what driving mode you were in? I seem to remember reading something saying traction control was off in Race or Sport...

Does it in all modes, I thought maybe it's the TC but in Race mode TC is off (apparently) and it does it still. I think it's less severe in Race mode so i reckon the TC is making the tramping worse slightly...but like I said any mode it'll tramp after losing traction.

Probably gonna swap the rubber for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S and see if it at least helps...I fear I'm gonna destroy my LSD, Gearbox or something else drive train related if this continues...I can't believe this has gone out like this to be honest.

Offline FramerateUK  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2019 14:15:35(UTC)
FramerateUK

I honestly can't say I've noticed it on mine, but I haven't really had it wheelspinning from a standing start much either.

I have PS4S on the front of mine now (I hit a pot hole last week that took out both tyres on the passenger side!), my usual supplier couldn't get the Bridgestones so I went with what I knew!
Offline davbar82  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2019 16:58:22(UTC)
davbar82

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post
I honestly can't say I've noticed it on mine, but I haven't really had it wheelspinning from a standing start much either.

I have PS4S on the front of mine now (I hit a pot hole last week that took out both tyres on the passenger side!), my usual supplier couldn't get the Bridgestones so I went with what I knew!

Interesting, is yours EDC or MT? I think I'll switch the fronts to PS4S's and see how I get on.

It's not just from a standing start with a bit too much throttle. I can set off in 1st, change to 2nd and then boot it...when the turbo kicks in that can be enough to get it tramping on me :(
Offline steering1  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2019 18:41:42(UTC)
steering1

I think your car has a technical problem mate. It is not normal what you are describing.

You are under warranty. Let the car for a detailed check... It may be a broken damper or bush or engine mount.

Also, you may test a similar car to see what happen.

PS4s won't solve your problem
Offline davbar82  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2019 19:24:16(UTC)
davbar82

Originally Posted by: steering1 Go to Quoted Post
I think your car has a technical problem mate. It is not normal what you are describing.

You are under warranty. Let the car for a detailed check... It may be a broken damper or bush or engine mount.

Also, you may test a similar car to see what happen.

PS4s won't solve your problem

Had it on the ramps yesterday, all links, bushes and engine mounts checked out...I'm so confused. Think I'll head back to AC Warrington and take one of their tech's out for a spin see if they think somethings gone wrong. Thanks for the advice.
Offline FramerateUK  
#9 Posted : 25 April 2019 08:06:57(UTC)
FramerateUK

Mine's a manual.

That does sound odd, even if I stamp on the throttle I haven't had any tramping from it.

The most I've had entering roundabouts is a little squeak or a bit of wheel spin when I've been a bit too generous on the throttle, but definitely no shaking.

Engine mounts was going to be my obvious call but seems like you've checked that.

I know lots of people have complained about this sort of behaviour from the Leon Cupra, but this is the first time I've heard about it on a Megane. In fact, I've been really impressed with the increased grip and road holding of this Megane compared to the last one.
Offline davbar82  
#10 Posted : 25 April 2019 14:41:49(UTC)
davbar82

I'm going to take it in tomorrow and see what Renault make of it.
Offline Marc_250  
#11 Posted : 25 April 2019 20:08:05(UTC)
Marc_250

Possibly just a combination of things, tyre type, current wear, ambient temp etc.

I recall my old 250 doing it badly at one point in its life but one of the above changed and it never did it again...or my driving changed...
Offline RED21  
#12 Posted : 25 April 2019 20:59:37(UTC)
RED21

"Axle tramp" FWD or RWD & 4WD will occur if the conditions are right during hard pull a way's in hot or wet(ish) weather, it's just the road surface not providing consistent grip level on one or both sides in high torque delivery starts.
It basically the tyre losing grip then gaining grip in a rapid cycle which sets up an oscillation which then dissipates as sufficient forward motion is obtained.

The first few second of this video shows some "tramping" during a hard start on a warm sunny day with soft tyres, but due to varying level of grip on the left side it set up an oscillation over the axle and then some "tramp"

To me it's a normal phenomenon if you what to do hard pull a ways.

Offline Repair&Restore  
#13 Posted : 28 April 2019 05:02:56(UTC)
Repair&Restore

It's all down to the tyres, I had to change the Bridgestones because anything slightly damp they just couldn't handle it! Now I have PS4's on its fine
Offline Marc_250  
#14 Posted : 28 April 2019 20:02:57(UTC)
Marc_250

Getting rid/destroying them Bridgestones and replacing them with Michelin PSS/PS4S should be a priority for 280/300 owners!
Offline Breadvan Matt  
#15 Posted : 28 April 2019 22:39:49(UTC)
Breadvan Matt

I have an EDC sport 280. I was at traffic lights yesterday (damp conditions) and then when I floored it moving away I definitely got what has been described above as 'tramping'. Tyres are the standard Bridgestones.
I was thinking of changing the front tyres so I will ask to change to Michelin PS4s based on advice here.
Offline FramerateUK  
#16 Posted : 29 April 2019 07:20:00(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Getting rid/destroying them Bridgestones and replacing them with Michelin PSS/PS4S should be a priority for 280/300 owners!

Shouldn't be that hard. I drive like a granny most of the time (not due to choice, mostly due to being stuck in traffic!) and my Bridgestones were down to under 4mm within 3500 miles!
Offline Theos  
#17 Posted : 29 April 2019 07:42:48(UTC)
Giacomo

You guys should try do some tests with ESC off and on. It's possible the tramp might be related to it.
Offline vasterad  
#18 Posted : 29 April 2019 14:02:14(UTC)
vasterad

I can confirm that Bridgestone S001 is not very well performing tyre. Confused I'm surprised that Trophy has them too (except lightweight Fuji wheels - S007 comes with those wheels).

Edited by user 29 April 2019 14:02:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline steering1  
#19 Posted : 29 April 2019 18:12:29(UTC)
steering1

Originally Posted by: vasterad Go to Quoted Post
I can confirm that Bridgestone S001 is not very well performing tyre. Confused I'm surprised that Trophy has them too (except lightweight Fuji wheels - S007 comes with those wheels).

Having tried both on my 250 cup I have to say that IMHO, s001 are worse in greasy, wet conditions but better in terms of handling / feel when it is warm and dry. Maybe for UK it is not the perfect fit but I live southern...

In any case I totally agree with this

http://www.tyrereviews.c...till-make-good-tyres.htm

Offline davbar82  
#20 Posted : 18 May 2019 18:11:57(UTC)
davbar82

Originally Posted by: Theos Go to Quoted Post
You guys should try do some tests with ESC off and on. It's possible the tramp might be related to it.

Yea it does it with TC off too, not as bad but still there. I think the TC exacerbates the problem but is not the cause.
Offline davbar82  
#21 Posted : 24 May 2019 08:58:40(UTC)
davbar82

Quick update: My local AC have a Trophy 300 on an EDC box and they confirmed it does the same when pushed.

Makes me feel better that mines ok and it is just a thing but I'm kinda disappointed they'd let them go out like this. I am gonna switch the front rubber to PS4's and I'll report back. I've heard the same thing from too many people now. I admit I was sceptical ditching the Bridgestones would make that much difference but everywhere I've looked it's been the same advice so I'm gonna go for it (after payday)

:)

Will come back with an update.
Offline FramerateUK  
#22 Posted : 24 May 2019 17:50:29(UTC)
FramerateUK

I said I'd update if I experienced some axle tramp and today I did!

It wasn't off the line, it was a little after, still in 1st I think, I gave a bit too much throttle and it started.

I do have some rather worn Bridgestones on the front at the moment, they'll be getting replaced with some PS4S in the next couple of months (I already have some on the back). I'll try the same thing once I've got the new tyres and see if they do the same.