Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Georgeski  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2019 15:10:35(UTC)
Georgeski

Offline Kirsty172  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2019 16:46:23(UTC)
Kirsty172

CTR unsurprisingly monsters it.
Offline CraigI  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2019 18:02:19(UTC)
CraigI

As expected, very little in it.
The steering in the Megane is not perfect, but it’s nowhere near as lifeless as Audi efforts.

First time I’ve seen the interior pics of the CTR, wow.
As ugly on the inside as it is on the outside.
Offline Kirsty172  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2019 07:15:17(UTC)
Kirsty172

Interesting. I also thought those pictures made the megane interior look cheap and very dated. Bad pictures. Sad.
Offline Black Cup  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2019 09:19:29(UTC)
Black Cup

I have to disagree, Megane's interior is well ordered, Civic just looks dated. Driving positions in both are really good.

It is a case of the buyer makes their choice and certain points led me to chosing the Megane over a Civic recently - drive wise the article states "in terms of objective handling ability, it's difficult to separate Honda and Renault" but the real reason for liking the Megane is simply... "it's a cheekier, livelier, more boisterous hot hatch than the Honda - in ways that expose the Civic's slightly po-faced demeanour" I call this the fun factor and that must surely be one of the main reasons for chosing a hot hatch.
Offline MrRS  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2019 11:02:29(UTC)
MrRS

Originally Posted by: Black Cup Go to Quoted Post
I have to disagree, Megane's interior is well ordered, Civic just looks dated. Driving positions in both are really good.

It is a case of the buyer makes their choice and certain points led me to chosing the Megane over a Civic recently - drive wise the article states "in terms of objective handling ability, it's difficult to separate Honda and Renault" but the real reason for liking the Megane is simply... "it's a cheekier, livelier, more boisterous hot hatch than the Honda - in ways that expose the Civic's slightly po-faced demeanour" I call this the fun factor and that must surely be one of the main reasons for chosing a hot hatch.

I think it’s easy to pull selective quotes from a review to try and skew the result, but unfortunately the fact is the Civic Type R is the better overall car right now.

Offline Black Cup  
#7 Posted : 01 July 2019 11:30:17(UTC)
Black Cup

I agree the Civic is a fantastic package, but the quotes seem to reflect my own opinion very well, the Megane is the more playful package, the one I feel that is set up more for fun - can I even say the Civic is perhaps too competent - touching on the clinical.
Offline rjohn1  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2019 13:00:51(UTC)
rjohn1

I have a Honda motorbike and have had a number in the past and I do like the brand. I had a little regret after ordering my RS that I maybe should have bought the Civic as the reviews are better. Then I saw what it looked like... I had similar issues for the Golf (too boring) and Focus (RS a little too lairy and ST too boring). These are opinions I note, and other people find these other cars fine.
Offline Kirsty172  
#9 Posted : 01 July 2019 13:43:53(UTC)
Kirsty172

The fun arguments are quite nonsense. If you really wanted fun you could have more by spending 2 grand on a 182. If you're sending over 30k on a crappy hatchback then I think you are buying it for more than just fun. Otherwise, even a megane 275 is probably a better option.
Offline Black Cup  
#10 Posted : 01 July 2019 15:38:29(UTC)
Black Cup

I don't think so, fun is still very much a primary vital criteria in any car purchase most enthusiasts make. The Megane provided the more engaging experience on test drive to me so hence my choice.
Offline Kirsty172  
#11 Posted : 01 July 2019 16:17:58(UTC)
Kirsty172

Black cup, that's good to hear. Keep on enjoying it. I guess my own frustration with all these cars is that they are completely over priced and unjustified. I do rate the fk8 ctr very highly but just could never justify the 10k it would cost me to change from my fk2. The megane would cost me even more.

Very sad.
Offline NickRS  
#12 Posted : 01 July 2019 17:17:03(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
Black cup, that's good to hear. Keep on enjoying it. I guess my own frustration with all these cars is that they are completely over priced and unjustified. I do rate the fk8 ctr very highly but just could never justify the 10k it would cost me to change from my fk2. The megane would cost me even more.

Very sad.

A lot of emotion there it would seem. I am not seeing much monstering and as a trackable daily, the Megane makes a lot of sense, particularly on semi slick friendly 18s wheels. Cheap as chips too at under £26k after discount with Cup and 3 year warranty.

A fantastic steer IME, a good alternative to the equally good Honda. I can't wait for delivery.

Offline Kirsty172  
#13 Posted : 01 July 2019 17:40:10(UTC)
Kirsty172

No emotion, it's just a car.

CTR is a better drive and better engineered, but those who prefer the Renault should buy it. Enjoy your purchase.
Offline Black Cup  
#14 Posted : 01 July 2019 18:13:50(UTC)
Black Cup

Kirsty172 I am fully with you on prices, they are crazy at over £30k, had a real shock when I walked into a Ford dealership and saw a 1.0L Focus with some nice extras for over £29k, makes you realise nothing is cheap these days!

I respect your choice, both the FK2 and FK8 are fantastic cars with real presence and ability, both very special, hope you enjoy your choice too.
Offline rjohn1  
#15 Posted : 01 July 2019 19:12:48(UTC)
rjohn1

There is also the issue of money, which I know can be a dirty word. I got my RS with 0% finance, so I will pay £32k only if I keep it in 3 years. I looked at an Audi S3, which came in at £39k for a similar spec. I am not saying that the RS is equivalent to an Audi, but after other Renault cars it is a nice place to be inside. It isn't far off the quality of my partner's last Audi TT which was very nice. But the Audi finance with my mileage meant I would pay £42K overall. I could have payed a lot less and got a second hand car, but I have a new car which means I don't have the issues of second hand cars and can run it in, look after it etc.

I work at a university - can you imagine what my fellow researchers would think of me in the new Civic? I don't think "its a great fast car" would cut it...
Offline rjohn1  
#16 Posted : 01 July 2019 19:20:46(UTC)
rjohn1

Also, I can't have a saloon or convertible as I need the boot space / luggage room. An SUV is just a non-starter so a "crappy hatchback" or estate are the only options. I felt an estate was excessive so was happy with a nice practical 1.8 l hatchback.

Edited by user 01 July 2019 19:22:09(UTC)  | Reason: correction

Offline Giacomo  
#17 Posted : 01 July 2019 21:22:50(UTC)
Giacomo

I got my RS 280 and I am very happy with it, I like everything it has, there isn't a thing I don't. It exceeded my expectations in every single segment.
Offline NickRS  
#18 Posted : 01 July 2019 22:13:08(UTC)
NickRS

No emotion, it's just a car.

CTR is a better drive and better engineered, but those who prefer the Renault should buy it. Enjoy your purchase.

I find the Megane is a better drive so there may be an element of subjectivity.

I tend to trust Soheil Ayari as he has driven both, and on track. It was basically a draw where the Honda has a better engine/box but the Megane is more fun and is less conservatively set up. That sounds very much like Megane RS of old.

All in French I'm afraid.

Absolute bargain for so much track ability out of a road car.

Edited by user 01 July 2019 22:19:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Kreki  
#19 Posted : 02 July 2019 06:38:57(UTC)
Kreki

Reviews are all objective. I've read and watched so many now, and each one comes out with different plus and negative points for each car. One thing a "Journalist" (I use the term loosely) may like, another may despise.

I looked at a number of cars to replace my RS 265 Cup and settled on the 300 Trophy. It suits my needs perfectly, the small gripes others seem to have with the car, don't even register for me. I enjoy the drive and the feel. It has a better build quality than the mk3, is quicker and feels much more nimble and also has more user friendly space. Arguably, I'd say it feels more special too, and I LOVED my 265! The Civic, I didn't enjoy nearly half as much. I couldn't live with the exterior or the interior. And the driving experience felt too perfect, too clinical. A shame coming from someone who owned an Accord Type R. I feel Honda have lost their way somewhat. But that is something people may now prefer over the older Honda's. End of the day, it's your own choice and 99% of us won't be wringing that final bit of performance out of the cars that seem to seperate the Mégane and the Civic so slightly. But at least we can all agree, they're both at the front of the Hot Hatch game, and if you own a Type R then well done, you'll win the arguements down the pub. Maybe.

It's fairly simple. Go and look at and test drive the cars you're considering. Work out the finances, and see if you can afford the one you like (yes, modern Hot Hatches are expensive, but all cars have gone up in price!). Purchase said vehicle. Enjoy said purchase.
Offline sunnylunn  
#20 Posted : 02 July 2019 08:15:51(UTC)
sunnylunn

its nice to have the choice between the 2, both great cars, I prefer the looks of the Megane, and the interior is a step up on previous models. I do agree that the prices for a fast hatch are now ridiculous.
Offline Giacomo  
#21 Posted : 02 July 2019 18:55:23(UTC)
Giacomo

Originally Posted by: sunnylunn Go to Quoted Post
its nice to have the choice between the 2, both great cars, I prefer the looks of the Megane, and the interior is a step up on previous models. I do agree that the prices for a fast hatch are now ridiculous.

Agree on that but we shouldn't forget the current line of hothatches are faster than a Ferrari from a decade ago.
Offline CraigI  
#22 Posted : 02 July 2019 20:25:50(UTC)
CraigI

Civic monstors Megane by less than two tenths of a second on this back to back German lap test:

This link has the Megane ahead in two track tests and behind in one:

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel6700-7404.htm

There really isn’t anything between them performance wise.
Offline Gaz5282  
#23 Posted : 02 July 2019 20:35:50(UTC)
Gaz5282

For me I couldn't care if 1 car is 0.002 seconds faster round here, there or where ever, its all down to personal preference, all the hot hatches are so close now that it's what ever tickles your testi....Fancy and for me it's the megane. The civic is not a good looking car, golf is boring, new focus St looks like a focus St line, i30n same plus I have heard after an hour or 2 your back side knows you have driven it, where as I need a daily car, that will do road trip(current focus St did 2 1000mile Scotland Road trips in first year I've owned it)
Offline Kirsty172  
#24 Posted : 02 July 2019 22:41:23(UTC)
Kirsty172

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
Civic monstors Megane by less than two tenths of a second on this back to back German lap test:

interesting. and of course you'd be taking the same position if it was the other way round...

second is still second.

irrespective of that, nice discussion by all with some good points raised on both sides. good job on whoever locked the kids out the last few days.
Offline CraigI  
#25 Posted : 03 July 2019 06:08:54(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post

interesting. and of course you'd be taking the same position if it was the other way round...

second is still second.

irrespective of that, nice discussion by all with some good points raised on both sides. good job on whoever locked the kids out the last few days.

What about Hockenheim lap times? Where Honda is second, by two seconds.
There’s a lot of noise that the Civic is untouchable, and it’s undoubtedly a great car to drive, but it’s no faster point to point than the Megane.
The differences are so minimal it really is down to personal preference over steering, ride, exterior looks, interior looks and which of those have greater weighting in your car buying decision.