Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Georgeski  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2019 10:15:06(UTC)
Georgeski

https://www.topgear.com/..._twitter_impression=true

Seems like the 4WS has been ditched and its much better for it.
Offline Georgeski  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2019 10:49:53(UTC)
Georgeski

Offline Kirsty172  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2019 11:01:45(UTC)
Kirsty172

So at least 20 grand more than a Civic. Good luck with that.

Scope of work needed to beat the civic by 4 seconds demonstrates just how pointless this lap time race has become.

Jacking 4ws an embarrassing marketing mess.

Apart from that... Well done.
Offline CraigI  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2019 11:15:36(UTC)
CraigI

You can’t buy the Honda that got the previous “record” can you, so it’s not a true / relevant comparison is it?

Who really cares anyway. There’s nothing between the “normal” Mégane (in Trophy guise) and Civic, that’s the market most are really in.

I admire the effort, and that Renault still have the drive to do this but this kind of car is something I’ll never be in the market for.
A proper bespoke Mégane version of the 5 Turbo / Clio V6, where the rear seats are removed to stick a huge engine in the back, powered through the rear and is truly exotic then I’m interested.
Those days are gone though.

Edited by user 05 July 2019 11:18:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrRS  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2019 12:14:29(UTC)
MrRS

So much effort to save 130 kg, dropped 4WS, race specification components etc for such a limited run expensive build. Meanwhile the 280 and 300 Trophy seem neglected from a enthusiasts perspective. Maybe that’s Renaults intent, softer Renaultsport road cars for softer owners.
Offline CraigI  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2019 12:19:35(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: MrRS Go to Quoted Post
So much effort to save 130 kg, dropped 4WS, race specification components etc for such a limited run expensive build. Meanwhile the 280 and 300 Trophy seem neglected from a enthusiasts perspective. Maybe that’s Renaults intent, softer Renaultsport road cars for softer owners.

You tried the new Mégane yet?

Offline Georgeski  
#7 Posted : 05 July 2019 14:05:42(UTC)
Georgeski

I can't describe how much I want one of these. It sounds amazing to me!
Offline NickRS  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2019 14:14:49(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: MrRS Go to Quoted Post

How have they neglected the 280 and 300? They are both excellent steer and very track ready with Cup for a road car.
Offline NickRS  
#9 Posted : 05 July 2019 14:18:48(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
So at least 20 grand more than a Civic. Good luck with that.

Scope of work needed to beat the civic by 4 seconds demonstrates just how pointless this lap time race has become.

Jacking 4ws an embarrassing marketing mess.

Apart from that... Well done.

I don't think they'll struggle to sell them at all.

Dropping 4ws makes a lot of sense from a weight saving POV, particularly with 2 degrees of front neg, it simply isn't necessary for turn in balance. Not everyone wants to run 2 deg (the std cars are on - 1 deg) on the road for only 6 track days a year like me so 4ws is a perfect tool to reduce steering input and limit front slip angle and the associated load on the outer shoulders.

Edited by user 05 July 2019 14:20:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline arsenal2  
#10 Posted : 05 July 2019 15:55:29(UTC)
arsenal2

As the post above said 4Control has its reasons in road versions (280 and trophy) and reasons for removing it on "track" version (trophy r). In road versions the purpose of 4ws is to get a nimbler car AND NOT SUFFER WITH TOO HARD OF A RIDE. Next to that it makes it easier for amatuers and semi pros to drive near the limit. On track version you dont worry about the stiffnes and the driver(you can set up a lot harder ride and the driver is usually pro) but 40kg for the system is a lot so it makes sense to remove it. And this is not my opinion but what RS engineer said. So stop whining about 4Control and saying its a fluke. As for the 3 sec difference in the record everybody should know that Honda had a special car and if it was production price would probably be closer to trophy r.
Offline Kirsty172  
#11 Posted : 05 July 2019 17:45:50(UTC)
Kirsty172

I find the lies ascertion very hard to believe.

The marketing of 4ws is just messy now. Anyone who truly values that will also know that the super duper megane doesn't have it. So who are you marketing this at?

Overall though, it does prove that any manufacturer still chasing this title is deluded. That car is pointless, the regular road car makes sense but even if you want a track car, for 55 big ones there has to be much better options?

And I'm sure they won't sell all the 20 odd coming here.

PS have you seen what Hyundai are now doing...?
Offline ray ban  
#12 Posted : 05 July 2019 19:26:10(UTC)
ray ban

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
You can’t buy the Honda that got the previous “record” can you, so it’s not a true / relevant comparison is it?

Who really cares anyway. There’s nothing between the “normal” Mégane (in Trophy guise) and Civic, that’s the market most are really in.

I admire the effort, and that Renault still have the drive to do this but this kind of car is something I’ll never be in the market for.
A proper bespoke Mégane version of the 5 Turbo / Clio V6, where the rear seats are removed to stick a huge engine in the back, powered through the rear and is truly exotic then I’m interested.
Those days are gone though.

Instead of the Zoe having an electric motor use the 1.8 instead.
Rebadge has "Alpine Zoe", keep below the £40K, TAX, TAX, TAX & away we go.

I'd buy one, defo....

Offline Georgeski  
#13 Posted : 05 July 2019 20:26:35(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
I find the lies ascertion very hard to believe.

The marketing of 4ws is just messy now. Anyone who truly values that will also know that the super duper megane doesn't have it. So who are you marketing this at?

Overall though, it does prove that any manufacturer still chasing this title is deluded. That car is pointless, the regular road car makes sense but even if you want a track car, for 55 big ones there has to be much better options?

And I'm sure they won't sell all the 20 odd coming here.

PS have you seen what Hyundai are now doing...?

They'll easily sell them. It will appeal to the suoercar owner that doesn't want to track it, but wants something special for that purpose. I know if I could afford it I wouldn't think twice about getting one.

Edited by user 06 July 2019 07:21:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Kirsty172  
#14 Posted : 05 July 2019 21:29:12(UTC)
Kirsty172

Maybe. But I think unlikely.

It's got a lot of stuff on it and a lot of stuff going on in that car, but I think we're now well past the silly point getting to being the fastest around one circuit.
Offline Marc_250  
#15 Posted : 05 July 2019 21:43:24(UTC)
Marc_250

I think they'll be able to sell them all to GT3 owners etc (rich people) and even if they end up sat in showrooms for 18 months at least they'll be something interesting to look at in a Renault show room!

I like the car and it costs what it costs.

I do agree hot hatches are fin expensive these days but if you/I/we are dumb enough to keep buying them what ya gonna do. Seen the specs of the new A45...jeez? And what are Hyundai doing?
Offline Georgeski  
#16 Posted : 06 July 2019 07:24:17(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
I think they'll be able to sell them all to GT3 owners etc (rich people) and even if they end up sat in showrooms for 18 months at least they'll be something interesting to look at in a Renault show room!

I like the car and it costs what it costs.

I do agree hot hatches are fin expensive these days but if you/I/we are dumb enough to keep buying them what ya gonna do. Seen the specs of the new A45...jeez? And what are Hyundai doing?

I really like the look of the new A45, especially the S version. A friend got rid of his 280 and bought an A35, it looks superb in the metallic blue that is in the press shots (and which he has his in)
Offline Kirsty172  
#17 Posted : 06 July 2019 11:05:33(UTC)
Kirsty172

I agree with the A45 assessment too, stupid price also. 50k I'm sure, plus options for a hot hatchback. Certifiable.
Offline f.a.t  
#18 Posted : 06 July 2019 21:23:25(UTC)
f.a.t

For the 28-30 cars coming to the UK I wonder how many will get the full Carbon kits and bits. Fantastic spec, similar price to Porsche GT4. 390mm carbon discs on a car weighing 1306 kg and 300 bhp. Utter brilliant maddness.
Offline Georgeski  
#19 Posted : 07 July 2019 07:14:47(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: f.a.t Go to Quoted Post
For the 28-30 cars coming to the UK I wonder how many will get the full Carbon kits and bits. Fantastic spec, similar price to Porsche GT4. 390mm carbon discs on a car weighing 1306 kg and 300 bhp. Utter brilliant maddness.

You would imagine most of them as the base car is expensive and the sort of person buying this can afford to tick all the options.
Offline JMT  
#20 Posted : 07 July 2019 07:55:17(UTC)
JMT

I’ve asked my local dealership to call me as soon as info comes down. Having had new an R26R and 275 Trophy R I’d really like one of these but it would be full spec or not at all for me

Just a point of note. Reports are of 500 been made but the chap I’ve spoken to in Renault says 400 total and 30 for UK

Edited by user 07 July 2019 07:57:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Buffalo Girls  
#21 Posted : 07 July 2019 09:03:05(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Good on RS for making it. Matt Prior’s review on Autocar makes interesting reading
Offline Georgeski  
#22 Posted : 07 July 2019 09:21:21(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: JMT Go to Quoted Post

I’ve asked my local dealership to call me as soon as info comes down. Having had new an R26R and 275 Trophy R I’d really like one of these but it would be full spec or not at all for me

Just a point of note. Reports are of 500 been made but the chap I’ve spoken to in Renault says 400 total and 30 for UK

Seems odd that only 30 are coming to the UK
Offline f.a.t  
#23 Posted : 07 July 2019 10:24:25(UTC)
f.a.t

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post

You would imagine most of them as the base car is expensive and the sort of person buying this can afford to tick all the options.

Yeh agreed, hopefully for cust they will be able to order the carbon wheels and brake discs from parts or accessories.
Offline CraigI  
#24 Posted : 07 July 2019 11:24:40(UTC)
CraigI

As expensive as it is, I don’t see the point in buying this car without the things that make it this car.

I still want to see a standard Trophy Ring time to see how much faster this is!
Without that, the worth of the changes made are undetermined.
Yes it beats a Honda that has never been released, but what benchmark is that?

Edited by user 07 July 2019 11:26:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Kirsty172  
#25 Posted : 07 July 2019 13:09:10(UTC)
Kirsty172

Craig, we'll agree to disagree.

Knowing what I know about Japanese culture I find lying here to be very unlikely. And if the Honda is all lies, why would Renault spend so much effort and then charge so much for a car that isn't beating a real record?