Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Familyman  
#26 Posted : 03 July 2019 18:48:56(UTC)
Familyman

ive had loads of front drive hot hatches over the years, and spent some years quite seriously into track days, so I can appreciate all this talk of lap times, ultimate fun etc, but to me now, lap times are irrelevant. I think all of the 300 plus bhp hot hatches have much more performance than you can even use on most roads and in most circumstances.
The quickest car is not the one with the fastest lap time anyway, its the one with the best driver, or the biggest nutter behind the wheel, The only real performance I can regularly use is in a straight line on dual carriageways or from standing starts at traffic lights, which isnt really what hot hatches are all about, but those are the roads I drive most, and thats the performance I can use, so after years of finding front drive really frustrating in these circumstances I went for 4wd and dsg, and I cant see me ever going back tbh.

Yes a civic type r or meg 300 is probably quicker around a lap than my S3 and a bit more fun in some circumstances too, but so what, I now buy cars which suit me and suit my circumstances, and the only time I am likely to ever come across a civic R or meg 300 is at the traffic lights, and in that situation they aren't fast at all. I had a leon cupra 300 pulled up beside me at the traffic lights trying to push in when the lights changed, because the lanes went from 2 down to 1, now thats a very rapid car but despite his best efforts I was in 2nd gear doing 50 mph while he was still wheel spinning, and I didnt even use launch control......Childish ?, maybe but amusing too.

So I would say, dont just go with the crowd because the reviews say which car is best, go for whats best for you and your circumstances.
Offline CraigI  
#27 Posted : 03 July 2019 21:30:22(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: Familyman Go to Quoted Post
ive had loads of front drive hot hatches over the years, and spent some years quite seriously into track days, so I can appreciate all this talk of lap times, ultimate fun etc, but to me now, lap times are irrelevant. I think all of the 300 plus bhp hot hatches have much more performance than you can even use on most roads and in most circumstances.
The quickest car is not the one with the fastest lap time anyway, its the one with the best driver, or the biggest nutter behind the wheel, The only real performance I can regularly use is in a straight line on dual carriageways or from standing starts at traffic lights, which isnt really what hot hatches are all about, but those are the roads I drive most, and thats the performance I can use, so after years of finding front drive really frustrating in these circumstances I went for 4wd and dsg, and I cant see me ever going back tbh.

Yes a civic type r or meg 300 is probably quicker around a lap than my S3 and a bit more fun in some circumstances too, but so what, I now buy cars which suit me and suit my circumstances, and the only time I am likely to ever come across a civic R or meg 300 is at the traffic lights, and in that situation they aren't fast at all. I had a leon cupra 300 pulled up beside me at the traffic lights trying to push in when the lights changed, because the lanes went from 2 down to 1, now thats a very rapid car but despite his best efforts I was in 2nd gear doing 50 mph while he was still wheel spinning, and I didnt even use launch control......Childish ?, maybe but amusing too.

So I would say, dont just go with the crowd because the reviews say which car is best, go for whats best for you and your circumstances.

Civic and Megane are loads more fun than a S3. And you don’t need to go anywhere near a track to find that out.
Like night and day when it comes to enjoyable driving.

Edited by user 03 July 2019 21:31:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline FramerateUK  
#28 Posted : 04 July 2019 08:44:26(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
As expected, very little in it.
The steering in the Megane is not perfect, but it’s nowhere near as lifeless as Audi efforts.

First time I’ve seen the interior pics of the CTR, wow.
As ugly on the inside as it is on the outside.

Yeah the steering isn't as good as the 250 Cup. It's on par with the last Clio, but I'm not a huge fan of the way it adjusts the weight for each mode.

The styling is the main reason I couldn't go for the Civic. I like it, I just don't want to live with it. Those red seats would not have worked for me!

280 Cup is in for its first service at the end of the month. I've managed a pathetic 4800 miles this year since I've mostly been catching the train to work (my usual driving route has 3 housing estates going up near it, and has caused huge tailbacks during rush hour).
Offline NickRS  
#29 Posted : 04 July 2019 13:14:28(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

280 Cup is in for its first service at the end of the month. I've managed a pathetic 4800 miles this year since I've mostly been catching the train to work (my usual driving route has 3 housing estates going up near it, and has caused huge tailbacks during rush hour).

Hiya, I assume you have bought the £299 servicing pack. They wouldn't sell it to me as it is apparently it allowed under the friends and family deal....
Offline FramerateUK  
#30 Posted : 04 July 2019 13:40:22(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: NickRS Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

Hiya, I assume you have bought the £299 servicing pack. They wouldn't sell it to me as it is apparently it allowed under the friends and family deal....

Nerp, didn't come up as an option when I ordered it. The garage are very good in terms of no over-charging usually, but they mentioned servicing charges have gone up.

Seems silly paying over the odds for what is essentially an oil change and a visual check. Might find an approved garage to it next year instead otherwise.

The car did pop up with a "Service in 30 days" reminder though. So we've obviously moved on the 12k/48months servicing that was on the 250 Cup/220T.
Offline Georgeski  
#31 Posted : 04 July 2019 14:26:59(UTC)
Georgeski

Chris Harris seems very pleased with the Trophy he has currently got!
Offline MrRS  
#32 Posted : 05 July 2019 12:18:55(UTC)
MrRS

I’m not sure a Trophy being almost as good as a Type R is a point worth boasting about, which seems to the message here. Renault used to rule this segment. From a driving, handling and overall performance perspective Renault only threw an extra 20 bhp at a 280 Cup Megane. That’s a cop out really. With just a bit more effort it could have been so much better. All the effort seems to have gone on a limited run, big bucks Trophy R.
Offline NickRS  
#33 Posted : 05 July 2019 14:23:36(UTC)
NickRS

It's simply a reflection of how much better the competition is.
Offline CraigI  
#34 Posted : 05 July 2019 14:30:38(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: MrRS Go to Quoted Post
I’m not sure a Trophy being almost as good as a Type R is a point worth boasting about, which seems to the message here. Renault used to rule this segment. From a driving, handling and overall performance perspective Renault only threw an extra 20 bhp at a 280 Cup Megane. That’s a cop out really. With just a bit more effort it could have been so much better. All the effort seems to have gone on a limited run, big bucks Trophy R.

Have you tested one yet or are you just one of those with a strange bug bear about Renault.
There is nothing between Trophy and Civic Type R as far as speed / performance goes. There are other places that are more subjective or personal like steering, interior and exterior looks that will make you go one way or the other. They appear evenly matched in the track tests I’ve found,
The 300 Trophy is a great package. An improvement in most places over the mk3.
You should really try one,

What are you buying next?
Offline MrRS  
#35 Posted : 07 July 2019 20:10:54(UTC)
MrRS

More of a reflection of a change in Renaults priorities.

Offline NickRS  
#36 Posted : 07 July 2019 21:13:01(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: MrRS Go to Quoted Post

More of a reflection of a change in Renaults priorities.

What do you drive? Moving from a 275 Cup S to a 280 Cup for road and track, I can confirm their priorities are exactly the same and fit mine.

Have you driven both cars on track?

Offline Kirsty172  
#37 Posted : 08 July 2019 15:35:41(UTC)
Kirsty172

MRRS, I agree with you. Trophy is not a bad car at all, but it is definitely not best in class, which they always were.

Priorities have changed I assume.

So for me, I'll keep the CTR on road spec tyres and drive it on the road. Trophy is good, but I think second place now, but I would have it over any of the other competition.
Offline CraigI  
#38 Posted : 08 July 2019 20:48:01(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
MRRS, I agree with you. Trophy is not a bad car at all, but it is definitely not best in class, which they always were.

Priorities have changed I assume.

So for me, I'll keep the CTR on road spec tyres and drive it on the road. Trophy is good, but I think second place now, but I would have it over any of the other competition.

Which CTR do you have?
Offline Georgeski  
#39 Posted : 13 July 2019 10:43:43(UTC)
Georgeski

Offline Georgeski  
#40 Posted : 13 July 2019 10:43:44(UTC)
Georgeski