Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rs power  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2019 12:09:10(UTC)
rs power

Offline MrRS  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2019 19:57:51(UTC)
MrRS

Good honest and incisive review.
Offline terryb  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2019 12:24:49(UTC)
terryb

More in-depth review in the actual magazine that I received today.

They do state that to get the best on the road, they will need to adjust the dampers and maybe even ride height. But on track it blitzes all other FWD cars :)
Offline f.a.t  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2019 07:20:03(UTC)
f.a.t

I guess it was too much trouble to adjust suspension to suit, no buttons on the dash to push.
Offline NickRS  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2019 16:52:15(UTC)
NickRS

The editorial standards have really slipped over the years at EVO. Criticising a car for its ride while not bothering playing with the adjustable kinematics that will offer a wide range of settings is sheer lazyness, incompetence or both.
At least they realise that the car has no competition at £50k for a car that will bang consistent fast laps all day.
Offline MrRS  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2019 09:44:43(UTC)
MrRS

Yes, lots of negatives in that review. I wonder how many more spare clicks were on the Öhlins to hit fully soft for the road. They tested and lapped the £72k car, not the much cheaper and slower £50k version, so not much point in comparing it to other £50k hot hatches, it’s only a 2 seater anyway and that drops into a different league of potential rivals anyway. Surprised the £72k version was only 0.5 sec a lap quicker than the VW Golf at Bedford.
Offline NickRS  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2019 15:08:15(UTC)
NickRS

I don't think you have any data on the delta between the 2 versions so quite a moot point. The expensive options will only lower the track time by mere tenths IMO. Remember timing is not allowed on track days, they are not competitive events. Remember there is only 1 available in the UK anyway, which is probably sold out.

The car is essentially the same irrespective of specs, one might be a few tenths quicker but that's only with a very good track driver who does track days and is therefore in this market.

The £50k base car is 99% of the ones with the bling options. I reckon you wouldn't distinguish them from behind the wheel. The braking distance is the same obviously.

The Trophy R in its base version remains without competition as taking the options is not compulsory.

The base car comes with Ohlins and not making the most of their range of adjustment is a surd when it leads to irrelevant criticism.

Edited by user 09 September 2019 15:08:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline NickRS  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2019 15:26:50(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: MrRS Go to Quoted Post

it’s only a 2 seater anyway and that drops into a different league of potential rivals anyway.

Yet you can't name one.
Offline MrRS  
#9 Posted : 10 September 2019 10:56:29(UTC)
MrRS

Originally Posted by: NickRS Go to Quoted Post
I don't think you have any data on the delta between the 2 versions so quite a moot point. The expensive options will only lower the track time by mere tenths IMO. Remember timing is not allowed on track days, they are not competitive events. Remember there is only 1 available in the UK anyway, which is probably sold out.

The car is essentially the same irrespective of specs, one might be a few tenths quicker but that's only with a very good track driver who does track days and is therefore in this market.

The £50k base car is 99% of the ones with the bling options. I reckon you wouldn't distinguish them from behind the wheel. The braking distance is the same obviously.

The Trophy R in its base version remains without competition as taking the options is not compulsory.

The base car comes with Ohlins and not making the most of their range of adjustment is a surd when it leads to irrelevant criticism.

Laps times suddenly not important then? Interesting.

You have a punt though on the lap delta for the cheaper Mégane R and it’s suddenly only down to ‘tenths’ and it’s a 99% car. Renault went for the ram air and the big unsprung mass saving with the wheels and ceramics brakes for a reason, significant lap delta.

But as lap times are really not important now, save £20k, and based on your % theory just go for a 98% Type R as there’s no timing on track days is there 😀

If someone wants an R they will buy it, but constantly trying to make out there aren’t other viable options for track days where’re the majority of track cars are modified, not showroom fresh buys, many trailered in and mostly not OEM spec is becoming tedious. Buying a track car is a different ball game and a £50-£72k budget offers a world of opportunity.
Offline MrRS  
#10 Posted : 10 September 2019 11:13:11(UTC)
MrRS

it’s only a 2 seater anyway and that drops into a different league of potential rivals anyway.

Yet you can't name one.

Already been discussed. Lap times no longer important right. Lotus Elise 250 Cup, £50k. Lap all day. Caterham 420, £36k with enough spare to buy a comfy tow car and a new trailer. Lap all day. Go home in comfort.

Up in the £72k budget - just save £10k and go new Alpine A110S, 718 cayman GTS or Exige Sport 350. The Lotus will lap all day long, superb track car.

Time for more of that ever increasing narrow spec of suitability?
Offline Stock 265 Cup  
#11 Posted : 10 September 2019 16:16:25(UTC)
Stock 265 Cup

Says in Evo magazine they will be doing a more comprehensive test soon. 0.5 seconds around relatively short circuit adds up when lapping.
Offline NickRS  
#12 Posted : 10 September 2019 17:23:49(UTC)
NickRS

Laps times suddenly not important then? Interesting.

You have a punt though on the lap delta for the cheaper Mégane R and it’s suddenly only down to ‘tenths’ and it’s a 99% car. Renault went for the ram air and the big unsprung mass saving with the wheels and ceramics brakes for a reason, significant lap delta.

But as lap times are really not important now, save £20k, and based on your % theory just go for a 98% Type R as there’s no timing on track days is there 😀

Buying a track car is a different ball game and a £50-£72k budget offers a world of opportunity.

I know you struggle with reading comprehension but where did I say lap times were not important ? I said timing is not allowed on track days, but surely you know that. Or perhaps you don't, as you don't do track days (nothing wrong with that).

I know you haven't got a very good memory either so remember, doing 100 miles to a track day or 300 miles to the Ring or Spa simply isn't realistic in an Elise/Exige/Caterham. But you wouldn't really know that, because you've never done it. Different people like different things and different cars have different compromises : can you comprehend that at least ?

You're talking about a subject that you don't understand as you don't do track days so your views are inherently irrelevant, in addition to your systematic anti-RS bias.

Surely you know this is a RS forum so why do you post anything at all if everything you're going to say is negative ? I appreciate you won't respond to that though.

You need to share your views on a Lotus forum and stop polluting this place with your prejudice - can you please do that ?

but constantly trying to make out there aren’t other viable options for track days where’re the majority of track cars are modified, not showroom fresh buys, many trailered in and mostly not OEM spec is becoming tedious.

You're calling me tedious ? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I never said there aren't other viable options for track days, that's a total fabrication of yours. You don't get it, do you ? The appeal and value of the Trophy R is that for £50k you don't need to trailer it, you don't need to modify it, you don't need to change the OEM spec and you can comfortably fit two 6 footers. And you even get a 3-year warranty including track use (try that with a CTR). The car shines by it's utter versatility, which is the opposite to a narrow criteria of suitability. Comparing used to new is equally silly.

Do you comprehend that some might want exactly that for their track days, hence their value for money ?

And that no other new car at £50k can offer that. You can't name one. Still.

Edited by user 10 September 2019 17:32:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrRS  
#13 Posted : 11 September 2019 14:02:03(UTC)
MrRS

Predictable offensive response.
Offline foxspeed  
#14 Posted : 11 September 2019 17:08:33(UTC)
foxspeed

ohh front row seat LOL Tongue

quite easy to improve the ride just de-click the ohlins...simple!

Edited by user 11 September 2019 17:09:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Kirsty172  
#15 Posted : 11 September 2019 19:13:44(UTC)
Kirsty172

Observation... A lot of passive (and not so passive) aggression going on here. Is this board still moderated?
Offline f.a.t  
#16 Posted : 12 September 2019 20:49:04(UTC)
f.a.t

Have read the full story in Evo now, the author says the Trophy is unfinished business and they will get the spanners out next time. It might only be 0.5 faster than a Golf clubspt S, but its over 2 secs faster than a Type R. As for the Trophy Rs price/value, I suggest you read Richard Meaden in the same issue.
Offline MrRS  
#17 Posted : 13 September 2019 19:39:16(UTC)
MrRS

Originally Posted by: f.a.t Go to Quoted Post
Have read the full story in Evo now, the author says the Trophy is unfinished business and they will get the spanners out next time. It might only be 0.5 faster than a Golf clubspt S, but its over 2 secs faster than a Type R. As for the Trophy Rs price/value, I suggest you read Richard Meaden in the same issue.

It was a good lap time for sure, but only with the £72k Ring record version that you can’t buy in the UK anyway. What the cheaper and slower £50k version will achieve is more relevant as that’s the only one available.

Offline ray ban  
#18 Posted : 14 September 2019 05:32:47(UTC)
ray ban

Originally Posted by: f.a.t Go to Quoted Post

It was a good lap time for sure, but only with the £72k Ring record version that you can’t buy in the UK anyway. What the cheaper and slower £50k version will achieve is more relevant as that’s the only one available.

Really!
https://www.renaultsport...aspx?g=posts&t=90179

Offline Georgeski  
#19 Posted : 14 September 2019 08:15:57(UTC)
Georgeski

I think it's the ceramic brake version that isn't available in the UK. Iirc there was only one car with the brakes and all other extras fitted available to buy.
Offline MrRS  
#20 Posted : 16 September 2019 19:20:41(UTC)
MrRS

Quality review on the Trophy R vs the R26R from Harry here:

Mixed views on the Trophy R and he prefers the R26R.

Offline terryb  
#21 Posted : 16 September 2019 19:43:52(UTC)
terryb

Top Gear Magazine track test at Portimao vs 718 Cayman GT4

https://www.topgear.com/...nault-megane-rs-trophy-r

The mighty Meg gets the nod ;)
Offline f.a.t  
#22 Posted : 17 September 2019 08:04:50(UTC)
f.a.t

Full Road Test in Autocar to come.
Offline MrRS  
#23 Posted : 17 September 2019 11:34:47(UTC)
MrRS

Originally Posted by: terryb Go to Quoted Post
Top Gear Magazine track test at Portimao vs 718 Cayman GT4

https://www.topgear.com/...nault-megane-rs-trophy-r

The mighty Meg gets the nod ;)

Nice result and as expected the Trophy R is the next level up from Renault and really does the job on track, but overheating and lacking the circuit endurance of the GT4 was a bit of a surprise.

Its also the first time Renault hasn’t offered a rear roll cage on an R and with the fixed buckets and harnesses that might be seen as a significant omission for the serious track day user. The weight saving quest was serious.
Offline titian  
#24 Posted : 17 September 2019 17:31:46(UTC)
titian

With all the development ,bar the wheels 50k is probably a bargain ,this car should be applauded as i don't think we will see anything like it again now cars are going electric
Offline NickRS  
#25 Posted : 19 September 2019 16:25:59(UTC)
NickRS

Predictable offensive response.

Predictable trolling. What are you still doing here?