Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline burrellbloke  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2019 16:17:50(UTC)
burrellbloke

I have been thinking about getting a new car was looking at a Megane RS.

I have had a Clio GT for a few years and fancy a bit more power.

Are there any options I should get to help keep up the resale value of the car when I am likely to change it in 3 or 4 years time?

I was going to order a 280 EDC with a cup chassis.

Are Recaros essential? I was going to go for the Alcantara seats as they come with the heated seats option.

I am not really in the market for a Trophy version as I am not going to be going to many track days.

What do people recommend?
Offline Black225  
#2 Posted : 19 October 2019 13:12:07(UTC)
Black225

If you want easy to sell and the best residuals you need the right colour, the right seats and the right wheels. But it will cost you more in the first place.
I guess it depends how you're going to use the car too. I.e if you're going to leave it covered in crap and do a 100,000 miles in 3 years it won't be worth much whether the spec is good or not, so not worth worrying about.
Offline wilkerpa76  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2019 17:11:00(UTC)
wilkerpa76

After owning my RS 280 Cup Manual for 5 weeks, this would be my advice based purely on my own opinion.

- EDC all the way. The manual gear shift is notchy and unpleasant.

- If you're not going near a track, test drive the Sport suspension version. I would swap mine for it in a blink. The Cup set up is great for roundabouts, but the rest of the time I feel like a nodding dog. I'm guessing that being of the RS division the sport set up would good at handling anyway. I do have 19's which probably dosen't help.

- The alcantara is nice and would make it more desirable in the future, but when I'm sat it the seat I notice no difference, as I have the standard cloth. I came from heated electric leather seats in my Audi and had to compromise on the interior. So if money is no concern, go for alcantara.

Edited by user 19 October 2019 17:14:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rolo  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2019 18:38:21(UTC)
Rolo

Originally Posted by: burrellbloke Go to Quoted Post
I have been thinking about getting a new car was looking at a Megane RS.

I have had a Clio GT for a few years and fancy a bit more power.

Are there any options I should get to help keep up the resale value of the car when I am likely to change it in 3 or 4 years time?

I was going to order a 280 EDC with a cup chassis.

Are Recaros essential? I was going to go for the Alcantara seats as they come with the heated seats option.

I am not really in the market for a Trophy version as I am not going to be going to many track days.

What do people recommend?

Really you should spec a car how you want it, not the next owner! In my experience , a cars spec makes very little difference at trade in time; most dealers just give "book" price. If you're not doing track days, I wouldn't bother with the Cup chassis. I've got the Sport chassis & its comfortable and contrary to what some on this Forum would have you believe, it handles well & there's nothing wrong with the way it takes a corner! The Recaros weren't available when I ordered mine; I've got the heated Alcantara sports seats & they grip you in all the right places!
I prefer a manual gearbox & yes, it is notchy at first, but after 1500 miles its starting to free up nicely! The thing you need to do, is balance the cost of the option with any extra you may get at trade in time. You'll never get your money back. Get the options you want & enjoy.
Offline Sprocker  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2019 20:49:57(UTC)
Sprocker

As a above, get the options that you need/want. Come trade in time, you have to battle to get a decent trade in regardless of spec.

Personally, I can recommend the heated seats. Coming from a bmw with heated leather, these renault seats are just as hot and worth the money for me.

I went for the cup chassis because it was free at the time but it is a very hard ride, it's a shame you can't spec the parts individually, I would have gone for sport chassis with lsd and red callipers.

Colour is very personal too, I like the yellow and orange but not at over a grand!

Just spec it to your taste and don't worry what others have.
Offline burrellbloke  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2019 16:49:47(UTC)
burrellbloke

Thanks all.

I went for an extended test drive today and have a look at two Trophy RS cars at the dealership. I ordered a 280 Cup, not the Trophy version, and specced it on what I liked, saw and felt today.

Now just have to wait three months for it to arrive.
Offline HonzaL  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2019 15:31:06(UTC)
HonzaL

Well, I know that this is a bit older post, but why would anyone option an 280 with cup suspension, when you can have trophy for almost the same price?! In my eyes, this doesnt make any sense at all... :)
Offline Scott.T  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2019 07:35:26(UTC)
Scott.T

Originally Posted by: HonzaL Go to Quoted Post
Well, I know that this is a bit older post, but why would anyone option an 280 with cup suspension, when you can have trophy for almost the same price?! In my eyes, this doesnt make any sense at all... :)

Depends on your budget.
A well spec'd 280 actually comes in at a higher price than a similar spec'd Trophy.
But a off the peg 280 is going to save the potential owner money and potentially make it affordable.

My 280's spec is high and more than a trophy. But I didn't spec it and certainly didn't pay the RRP for it.

Oh ! And you cant get gloss black wheels on the Trophy.....is that worth giving up 20bhp and an exhaust flap?

Edited by user 20 November 2019 07:36:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline burrellbloke  
#9 Posted : 20 November 2019 10:22:26(UTC)
burrellbloke

The car is to be used as my everyday car, and, to commute to and from work.

When I priced it up it was a fine balancing act between what I wanted on the car for everyday use, and what I could get away with spending.

I take your point about the price/spec/Trophy version.
Offline NickRS  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2019 09:35:48(UTC)
NickRS

Yes if you're going to pay for stuff that is included in the Trophy than you have a point but perhaps the OP did buy options that were not included in either cars.

Personnaly I went for a bare Cup 280 in white as I wanted 18 wheels and didn't want the Trophy wheels and brakes as more expensive track consumables.
Offline HonzaL  
#11 Posted : 23 November 2019 15:43:28(UTC)
HonzaL

Originally Posted by: burrellbloke Go to Quoted Post

The car is to be used as my everyday car, and, to commute to and from work.

When I priced it up it was a fine balancing act between what I wanted on the car for everyday use, and what I could get away with spending.

I take your point about the price/spec/Trophy version.

When I was thinking about byuing myself a new MRS, there was a Trophy version already available, and in my eyes, it didn't make any sense to buy 280 ps version with CUP, as the stiffness is exactly the same as in Trophy version and I made a pretty nice deal with the dealer, so I bought myself a Trophy.

And I also have it for every day use. Smile

Anyway, I get the point of buying 280ps with cup, but here in Czech Rep, this configuration (280ps ver. with cup chassis) and without any add-ons, like breaks etc, is around 2k eur cheaper...so with those 2k eur you actually buy better engine, better exhaust and better brakes. Which looked like a great offer to me Wink

And another thing- after couple of years, when you (or me) will be selling the car and the prices will drop, I am afraid that nobody will want 280ps CUP, because everybody will be in search for a Trophy version.

Anyway, I was super lucky, I managed to get brand new Trophy version, liquid yellow, EDC, Recaros, reversing cam+sensors and 8.7 R-Ling Bose for 26.273 eur exl. VAT, which is 32.155 incl. .... best deal of my life. 2 months after I placed the order, prices jumped up 4k eur for all RS versions here in Czech.

Edited by user 23 November 2019 15:49:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Kirsty172  
#12 Posted : 24 November 2019 10:55:53(UTC)
Kirsty172

Have you thought about writing an essay about it? I know where you can get help with that...