Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline SCM4766  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2019 15:51:54(UTC)
SCM4766

Has anyone noticed when driving on a motorway changing lanes a slight jiggle as if the car is pulling one way then the other, a bit unnerving
Offline Sprocker  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2019 18:53:40(UTC)
Sprocker

It may be the lsd. I know my car does it and my previous car with a diff also did it but mainly on A roads with camber.

My car is really sensitive to camber, pulling left or if overtaking, pulling right.

Offline FramerateUK  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2019 14:27:04(UTC)
FramerateUK

Cars with a front LSD tend to pull a little over white lines, it's even more noticeable in the wet.

I have noticed the wider tyres on the 280 cause it to track cambers more than the old Megane too.
Offline Scott.T  
#4 Posted : 25 November 2019 15:21:21(UTC)
Scott.T

Mines fine. Not noticed anything like that yet. But it was a Renaultsport car so they may of dialled in a tighter geo setup than an off peg customer car.

Alot better than my mk3 focus RS that had really bad tramlining and veering over crests and white lines during an overtake.
If you Google veering steering I guarantee you'll end up on a Ford forum.
Offline Technical19  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2019 13:45:55(UTC)
Technical19

I have a 280 with cup pack ordered on a lease deal and have just been for a test drive in a standard spec car. I found the ride really good and not at all harsh. I cant find a dealer with a 280 cup anywhere near me at all. Is the difference in ride quality massively different ?
Offline FramerateUK  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2019 14:46:36(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: Scott.T Go to Quoted Post
Mines fine. Not noticed anything like that yet. But it was a Renaultsport car so they may of dialled in a tighter geo setup than an off peg customer car.

There isn't any adjusting that can be done with the factory parts.

I don't tend to get it very often, but if you boot it while changing a lane (especially in the wet) you'll sometimes feel a little shimmy.
Offline NickRS  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2019 15:14:56(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: Technical19 Go to Quoted Post
I have a 280 with cup pack ordered on a lease deal and have just been for a test drive in a standard spec car. I found the ride really good and not at all harsh. I cant find a dealer with a 280 cup anywhere near me at all. Is the difference in ride quality massively different ?

Not what you want to hear but yes, quite a difference. The Cup still works as a daily for me and the hydro bump stops helps. I am on 18 inch wheels which also help, more sidewall.

Offline Technical19  
#8 Posted : 02 December 2019 18:04:42(UTC)
Technical19

Originally Posted by: NickRS Go to Quoted Post

Not what you want to hear but yes, quite a difference. The Cup still works as a daily for me and the hydro bump stops helps. I am on 18 inch wheels which also help, more sidewall.

Thanks for your help. Not ideal, but tempted to keep the order without a like for like test drive. Really surprised main dealers dont have access to cup cars for test drives. Will mainly be doing b road commutes, alone, with very few long journeys or motorway miles, so it will only be me getting rattled around. 15 year since my last RS car (clio182) so really looking forward to some exciting drives .

Edited by user 02 December 2019 18:06:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline NickRS  
#9 Posted : 02 December 2019 18:45:44(UTC)
NickRS

Do they have a Trophy? Same chassis and set up.
Offline Scott.T  
#10 Posted : 03 December 2019 00:15:24(UTC)
Scott.T

Motorways and B roads are fine in the Cup Chassis. It's more about how they deal with town potholes and services road repairs/replacement.
But then I think most modern cars struggle on that front.

I'd rather live with the cup for the benefit of the LSD because that is a REAL benefit in a high power fwd on damp uk roads.
Offline NickRS  
#11 Posted : 03 December 2019 13:24:05(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: NickRS Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for your help. Not ideal, but tempted to keep the order without a like for like test drive. Really surprised main dealers dont have access to cup cars for test drives. Will mainly be doing b road commutes, alone, with very few long journeys or motorway miles, so it will only be me getting rattled around. 15 year since my last RS car (clio182) so really looking forward to some exciting drives .

Is the car on 18's - that will help a bit too? I agree with the LSD bit too.
Offline FramerateUK  
#12 Posted : 03 December 2019 14:42:22(UTC)
FramerateUK

Motorways and B roads are fine in the Cup Chassis. It's more about how they deal with town potholes and services road repairs/replacement.

I'd rather live with the cup for the benefit of the LSD because that is a REAL benefit in a high power fwd on damp uk roads.

Drove mine down a cobbled road this morning, it was.... interesting LOL.
Offline Scott.T  
#13 Posted : 04 December 2019 07:55:05(UTC)
Scott.T

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

Drove mine down a cobbled road this morning, it was.... interesting LOL.

Funny.....i live on an unadopted road made up of gravel bricks and hardcore. So I get that joy every day.
It's better at dealing with it than my previous mk3 focus rs. About the same as my Subaru Impreza although Megane suspension technology is 20 years newer.