Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rjohn1  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2019 11:11:55(UTC)
rjohn1

Hi, my car is currently having its first service and Drakes garage have found the front tyres are worn out. I've got the Interlagos 19" wheels with the Bridgestone S001 tyres. I would guess that less than 10% of my driving is 'spirited' - I've done 12000 miles in 5 months due to long A-road commutes. I would have thought they would have lasted longer - anyone else found them to wear out so quickly?
Offline Sprocker  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2019 13:07:09(UTC)
Sprocker

I've recently had my oil pressure and bonnet recall done at drakes, 60 mile round trip but they are nice people. I asked about my tyres, same wheel and tyre, they are more than half worn at 6500 ish miles.

It's a good thing in a way because they are pretty awful and can be replaced soon. I could never just take off tyres and replace them with better ones regardless of how bad they are, but I am a tight sod lol
Offline f.a.t  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2019 14:17:09(UTC)
f.a.t

Have replaced Trophy tyres at 5000mls.
Offline FramerateUK  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2019 14:44:33(UTC)
FramerateUK

I ended up destroying the two passenger side tyres when I hit a pothole a few months back, ended up with a rear tyre on the passenger front, and put some PS4S on the back. Eventually changed the fronts too once the original front tyre was at the markers.

I was on less than 5000 miles and I don't think I'm particularly heavy footed!

I'm now on PS4S all round and they feel like a much better tyre.
Offline rjohn1  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2019 16:15:30(UTC)
rjohn1

I think I'll be fitting the PS4s, I've only heard good things about them on here. I just need to find a cheap supplier (ATS, National tyres and Black circles don't seem to sell the PS4, only other versions). Anyone found them cheaper than £210 fitted?
Offline FramerateUK  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2019 12:11:07(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: rjohn1 Go to Quoted Post
I think I'll be fitting the PS4s, I've only heard good things about them on here. I just need to find a cheap supplier (ATS, National tyres and Black circles don't seem to sell the PS4, only other versions). Anyone found them cheaper than £210 fitted?

I got mine fitted through ATS, they don't mention them online but the local branch had no trouble getting them. I paid around that though.
Offline ibatzakas  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2019 21:55:20(UTC)
ibatzakas

Me as well 8000 miles S001 ended, I am going to try the pilot
4S one of best tyres overall in the market balance of performance and comfort, I am not track day person but I like Touring and long distance drive!!!!
Offline rjohn1  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2019 15:04:34(UTC)
rjohn1

So i decided to try an alternative tyre - I've now got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s on the front of the car. They had good reviews and they only cost me £142 fitted per tyre (as they were pretty cheap I didn't mind taking a risk).

I only had them fitted yesterday, but my initial impressions are good. I can alsmost use full throttle when wet in 2nd gear, third gear full throttle is way better than the Bridgestones and I am a lot more confident in the corners. Braking and aquaplaning need to be tested though...
Offline foxspeed  
#9 Posted : 14 December 2019 17:43:58(UTC)
foxspeed

dont think they have a very high wear index and quite soft but are poor in the winter temperatures!

the ones on mine have taken a pounding and been swapped around and i had to tweek the front track as it was chewing the insides off...
Offline Sprocker  
#10 Posted : 14 December 2019 19:32:21(UTC)
Sprocker

Do the Goodyears stop the cars front end hopping/juddering while manoeuvring on full lock. I assume others have noticed too.
Both the RS and my previous bmw did this. I have to put full lock on to get out of the drive and the front end judders and hops, interestingly the bmw was on mpss. It's not the tarmac because it does it in car parks etc too.

Offline rjohn1  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2019 17:58:35(UTC)
rjohn1

Originally Posted by: Sprocker Go to Quoted Post
Do the Goodyears stop the cars front end hopping/juddering while manoeuvring on full lock. I assume others have noticed too.
Both the RS and my previous bmw did this. I have to put full lock on to get out of the drive and the front end judders and hops, interestingly the bmw was on mpss. It's not the tarmac because it does it in car parks etc too.

I had the judder with the Bridgestones, it was really significant and got worse as the tyres wore down. It is completely gone now with the Goodyears.
Offline FramerateUK  
#12 Posted : 17 December 2019 12:01:54(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: rjohn1 Go to Quoted Post
So i decided to try an alternative tyre - I've now got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s on the front of the car. They had good reviews and they only cost me £142 fitted per tyre (as they were pretty cheap I didn't mind taking a risk).

I only had them fitted yesterday, but my initial impressions are good. I can alsmost use full throttle when wet in 2nd gear, third gear full throttle is way better than the Bridgestones and I am a lot more confident in the corners. Braking and aquaplaning need to be tested though...

I replaced the PS2s on my old Megane 250 with Assy 2's and rated them highly for all year round road use.

They melted on track but for the road they had great wet grip. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again!

Do the Assy 5 have the same huge rim protector the 2's had?
Offline Treagyjet  
#13 Posted : 20 December 2019 19:32:29(UTC)
Treagyjet

Has anyone got any experience of the Bridgestone S007s yet?