Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Marc_250  
#26 Posted : 08 February 2020 20:59:26(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: MrRS Go to Quoted Post
You dudes really need to face reality, the Renaultsport brand is slowly going down the pan. I’m a serial Renaultsport owner, but now there’s no Twingo RS, no Clio RS, and the Mk4 Megane hasn’t moved the game on from the Mk3.

Ford, Honda, Hyundai are all on a roll significantly improving each new iteration. They have a buzz about them. New Toyota Yaris GR anyone?

Renault can do it, the Alpine 110 is a masterpiece of design, engineering and weight saving but the RS Megane is just floundering and slowly disappearing off the radar. Tragic.

What gets you so excited about Ford, Honda and Hyundai?

New Focus ST - good car not set any new benchmarks has it?
CTR - Great car but nothing new with it as of late? New paint options?
i30N - Got great reviews but gets beaten in every performance test I've seen

For me I think he key thing for all the above is what you can actually get them for (£ wise with discounts etc)
Offline f.a.t  
#27 Posted : 09 February 2020 11:26:54(UTC)
f.a.t

I think the Megane has had more column inches written about it than an other car in 2019. Every major car magazine and internet mag has had one on long term test. 5th Gear has had both 280 and 300 and they have both beaten all comers. I have had my Trophy for 9mths having had the previous Trophy with ohlins for 4yrs and I think Renault have moved this Trophy on from the last one. In terms of steering ,much down to the 4ws, engine sound, gearchange, exhaust sound, performance. Also I don't I have driven a car at night with better lights. After picking up from local supermarket in Milton Keynes driving around all the roundabouts without spilling contents whilst being chased by someone in an Audi A4 just proved how little steering angle you use.Brilliant.
Offline NickRS  
#28 Posted : 09 February 2020 12:32:53(UTC)
NickRS

You dudes really need to face reality, the Renaultsport brand is slowly going down the pan. I’m a serial Renaultsport owner, but now there’s no Twingo RS, no Clio RS, and the Mk4 Megane hasn’t moved the game on from the Mk3.

I have no allegiance to any brand so not bothered. No interest for Twingo or Clio size car.

After 5 months, 4k miles and 2 track days at Snet and Silverstone, I have found that the Mk4 has moved the game on significantly from my 275 Cup-S. More torsionnaly rigid platform, better turn in, better fade resistance, more aggressive diff, slightly more compliant ride and deals with kerbs better. 4ws a revelation. Cheap to buy, service and low cost consumables.

I prefer the character of the F4RT engine but despite that it's a significant upgrade overall compared to a car that even towards the end of its life had only been matched by the competition.

Law of diminishing returns I guess.

I couldn't find a better trackable daily for £26k so I bought it. Simple.
Offline sunnylunn  
#29 Posted : 09 February 2020 14:44:42(UTC)
sunnylunn

Originally Posted by: sunnylunn Go to Quoted Post
just looking for a bite with every post, tragic. Some nice updates forthe new Megane, price rise won't make too much difference, there are deals to be had.

How’s the Hyundai i30N? Lol

pretty good, not as good on track as my R26 though, both better than not owning a car at all, LOL
Offline MrRS  
#30 Posted : 09 February 2020 15:45:02(UTC)
MrRS

just looking for a bite with every post, tragic. Some nice updates forthe new Megane, price rise won't make too much difference, there are deals to be had.

pretty good, not as good on track as my R26 though, both better than not owning a car at all, LOL

Preferred the i30N to the Mk4 Megane RS then. LOL Interesting. Backs up my earlier comments.

Offline NickRS  
#31 Posted : 09 February 2020 16:58:54(UTC)
NickRS

I like the i30N. It's a brilliant all rounder. I think it's possible to like two different cars, unless you're really narrow minded or systematically negative or have issues or terminal bitterness.

I reckon there is a lot of subjectivity too, in a non-binary world. Perhaps too sophisticated a concept for some though.
Offline MrRS  
#32 Posted : 09 February 2020 17:12:51(UTC)
MrRS

Agree, the i30N is a great car. The press really rate it. The ‘N’ brand is expanding and selling really well.
Offline sunnylunn  
#33 Posted : 10 February 2020 08:23:40(UTC)
sunnylunn

Preferred the i30N to the Mk4 Megane RS then. LOL Interesting. Backs up my earlier comments.

preferred the switchable ride modes on the I30, rides much better than the RS, but there's plenty to love with the Renault, the 10K saving swung my decision. Megane has a much nicer interior and is obviously faster, but I'm loving the I30 for now. Would have loved another RS Clio, but think that boat has sailed now.
Offline MikeO  
#34 Posted : 14 February 2020 18:21:16(UTC)
MikeO

Bought an I30 N myself after test driving all the usual alternatives in this class (RS Megane included). Liked the RS Megane Trophy that I test drove but wanted something within a reasonable time frame. Not a a patient man and my past personal experiences waiting on a factory order from Renault are NOT good. Some 5 months waiting for a factory order on an RS Clio and after 5 months plus... still no build date (and neither the dealer or Renault CS seemed to give a toss).

Decided in the end that the I30 N was a better overall package (for me) and went for it. Don't regret it one bit, super little car. Best car in its class? Depends what you are looking for I suppose. Quite aware that some are faster in a straight line etc. but will I really notice the difference on a public road? Even being an enthusiastic driver, I doubt it really.

Certainly not knocking the RS Megane, it's a good car. Though must admit that I found the ride on the cup suspension just a tad too firm for me (quite aware that others find it fine/perfect... that's just life). The switchable suspension in the I30 N gives you the best of both worlds. Just don't put it in "N" mode on a public road if you have any loose fillings in your teeth.

Enjoy whatever you drive, that's what I say.