Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FORBES  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2007 12:24:00(UTC)
FORBES

Right, well seeing as I had a weekend by myself this weekend and I wasn’t with any of you lot keeping you awake or generally causing mischief I decided that I should start the work on my Raider. The World Series is fast approaching (where the hell have the last 4 months gone?) So thought that if I don’t start now then I will never get it done in time and it will all end up being rushed a couple of weeks before September! First of all I was surprised to find that even after 3 months of not being driven it started on the button, the engine is soo sweet, it is the smoothest R5 I have ever owned. The discs were rusty from where it was wet when I put it to bed 3 months ago so I took it round the block to get rid of that! I then gave it a quick wash and started to give it a T-Cut to see if I really need to get the whole car resprayed, and the bad news is that I do! The roof did go slightly darker but the state of the paint is not good, especially the roof so it will be booked in once the rest of the car has been sorted. I took front bumper off, this is cracked (as are nearly all R5 Turbo Standard front bumpers) took the front seats out as they need to be re-covered, and took the silly boy racer exhaust off, well saying that I tapped it with a wrench and it fell off onto my head! I managed to cram everything into my Clio and drive home, so at the moment the grand hall at Forbes Towers is full of the front bumper and seats! I have emailed a contact of a fantastic guy up in Shropshire asking him about ordering the parts I need for it and I am waiting for a reply, The last time I spoke with him he had all the parts that I needed and was even looking to do a deal on a good set of front seats he had! So when he comes back to me I will be driving up there and doing a deal for the parts! Next on the list is to hammerite/waxoil the bottom of the car, then I am going to fit my new parts, seats, front bumper and exhaust, then get it booked in for a spray! If anyone gets board at weekends and wants to give me a hand let me know!! What do you think of the carnage that I caused this weekend then? Oh, sorry about the size of the pics I can’t change them for some reason! The Forbster! UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage The END!
Offline FORBES  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2007 13:59:05(UTC)
FORBES

Is it coz I is a Raider that nobody has posted? (Ali G Stylee!)
Offline r8wjd  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2007 14:13:32(UTC)
r8wjd

Forbster that all looks like fun....My mum used to have one just like that...
Offline FORBES  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2007 15:07:48(UTC)
FORBES

What a raider?
Offline r8wjd  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2007 15:12:53(UTC)
r8wjd

forgive my ignorance...... not sure..... it was a blue 5 gt turbo....not sure what a raider is??
Offline r8wjd  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2007 15:14:54(UTC)
r8wjd

she hated it....it was too fast and scary etc......my Dad brought it for her birthday but it was really for him???? I'm my fathers son....
Offline FORBES  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2007 15:19:25(UTC)
FORBES

ha ha, brilliant, well if it was the dark 'Raider' blue then it was a Raider, if it was lighter blue then it was more than likely a standard phase 2 R5 GTT.

They only made 866 Raiders in 1990

THey are still pretty quick cars, and mine even though not boosting properly will still keep up with my 172, well until i hit 100mph anyway!

Rapid little things they are!
Offline r8wjd  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2007 15:25:20(UTC)
r8wjd

I remember it was a G plate and the exact same colour and I also remember 'borrowing' it once and spinning it on a bridge in Essex and being quite pleased that i didn't even scuff a wheel..... Very quick as i recall and made a great POP if you dumped the clutch with the revs up....ahh nostalgic times....
Offline r8wjd  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2007 15:28:05(UTC)
r8wjd

I suppose you can understand the scary bit cause her car before that had been the 4 tl with a walking stick gear lever....I learnt to drive in that.....
Offline FORBES  
#10 Posted : 23 April 2007 15:50:04(UTC)
FORBES

brilliant, the car is an 80-90's icon, this is my 7th 5 Turbo and I ve been looking for another Raider for 5 years, so when I have finished with this one it will be mint, and in standard condition, ready for the Reanult World Series!
Offline FORBES  
#11 Posted : 23 April 2007 19:31:22(UTC)
FORBES

And the guy has called me back to tell me that he will email me with a picture of the seats tomorrow!!

WOOO HOOOO!

Trip to Shropshire coming shortly!!

Who fancies coming up to see some old skool Renault Sports?
Offline henry03uk  
#12 Posted : 23 April 2007 20:20:19(UTC)
henry03uk

That looks great hope you can get in up and running for the RWS in september....

I look forward to a ride in it...
Offline r8wjd  
#13 Posted : 23 April 2007 20:51:24(UTC)
r8wjd

where abouts are you Forbster cause i would love to be a spanner passer but Scotland might put me off the idea....
Offline Rutger  
#14 Posted : 23 April 2007 20:56:18(UTC)
Rutger

You can hardly see the GT Turbo logo on the back, is it supposed to be the same colour as the car?
Offline henry03uk  
#15 Posted : 23 April 2007 20:58:25(UTC)
henry03uk

always thought they were red but i don't know on the raider...
Offline airpomp  
#16 Posted : 24 April 2007 08:46:50(UTC)
airpomp

Tommy if you need a hand at any point then give me a shout.

I thought you were gonna give me a ring to help pick it up anyway....

AS for painting i can get it run through a full renault bodyshop with all the right paint etc for a cut price...
Offline FORBES  
#17 Posted : 24 April 2007 09:09:33(UTC)
FORBES

Quote:
Originally posted by r8wjd
where abouts are you Forbster cause i would love to be a spanner passer but Scotland might put me off the idea....

I live in windsor, the car is based in Arundel, more than welcome mate!
Offline FORBES  
#18 Posted : 24 April 2007 09:11:37(UTC)
FORBES

Quote:
Originally posted by Rutger
You can hardly see the GT Turbo logo on the back, is it supposed to be the same colour as the car?

The Raiders always had blue GT Turbo badges on them, other Phase 2 GT Turbo's had red badges on them! Someone at some point has painted my one red but Alan managed to pick it all off, it would look silly in Red!
Offline FORBES  
#19 Posted : 24 April 2007 09:13:21(UTC)
FORBES

Quote:
Originally posted by Invader ZIM 26
Tommy if you need a hand at any point then give me a shout.

I thought you were gonna give me a ring to help pick it up anyway....

AS for painting i can get it run through a full renault bodyshop with all the right paint etc for a cut price...

It was all a bit last minute mate, I am hoping to make the trip up to shropshire next weekend to get the rest of the parts for it and then fitting them on the Sunday/Monday, so if you are about then let me know!

As for the painting, can you let me know how much its going to cost? Needs a blow over and some dents taken out mate!!

The Forbes
Offline Paul B  
#20 Posted : 24 April 2007 09:34:37(UTC)
Paul B

sweet Tom..
really nice and pretty standard under the bonnet,
just how it should be

Offline FORBES  
#21 Posted : 24 April 2007 09:40:50(UTC)
FORBES

Oh yes! Thought you might like it Paul!

We can be Turbos together at the WS!! ha ha ha
Offline Paul B  
#22 Posted : 24 April 2007 09:42:31(UTC)
Paul B

Oh Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Offline FORBES  
#23 Posted : 24 April 2007 09:53:15(UTC)
FORBES

lol, OLD SKOOOL RULE!!
Offline fathertedbarnes  
#24 Posted : 24 April 2007 09:57:02(UTC)
fathertedbarnes

It will be nice when its finished - when are you starting on that clio - it needs work Wink
Offline FORBES  
#25 Posted : 24 April 2007 10:01:33(UTC)
FORBES

What my clio?

Just needs me to ring the dent doctor!!