Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline catherinej  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2008 19:14:00(UTC)
catherinej

So come on Renault, do they like it?
Offline JamesJT  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2008 21:21:35(UTC)
JamesJT

Don't you think that if renault had any control over the press the laguna GT would have got better reviews?

J
Offline catherinej  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2008 21:55:43(UTC)
catherinej

I don"t think the GT did get a bad review.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#4 Posted : 29 August 2008 07:22:22(UTC)
Jeremy

Catherine, yes they do!
Offline lynch22  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2008 08:28:21(UTC)
lynch22

Not all the press are impressed by it. Renault will have to consider the turbo route very soon for the smaller cars in the range.
Offline CJT_RUK  
#6 Posted : 29 August 2008 08:37:07(UTC)
Carl_T

Quote:
Originally posted by lynch22
Not all the press are impressed by it. Renault will have to consider the turbo route very soon for the smaller cars in the range.

Lynch the press only drove the Twingo RS for the 1st time yesterday - on what do you base your comment ?
Offline lynch22  
#7 Posted : 29 August 2008 08:55:48(UTC)
lynch22

Quote:
Originally posted by CJT_RUK
Quote:

Lynch the press only drove the Twingo RS for the 1st time yesterday - on what do you base your comment ?
My information is very reliable and you would not expect me to reveal it. It was tested in France months ago and my information said that Renault have been worried about not going the Turbo route. I am not saying that the Twingo is a bad car but they should have gone the Turbo route.
Offline 197ad  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2008 08:58:12(UTC)
Renault Wolverhampton

why?it doesnt need a turbo read the stats.the twingo is far from a bad car
Offline The Clang  
#9 Posted : 29 August 2008 10:56:07(UTC)
The Clang

TBH turbo's are a nightmare, they are more unreliable, and as insurance companys hate the word turbo, insurance is also a problem.

Normally aspirated FTW!!
Offline 197ad  
#10 Posted : 29 August 2008 10:57:16(UTC)
Renault Wolverhampton

i second the turbo comments above lol!
Offline mike225  
#11 Posted : 29 August 2008 10:58:31(UTC)
mike225

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My information is very reliable and you would not expect me to reveal it. It was tested in France months ago and my information said that Renault have been worried about not going the Turbo route. I am not saying that the Twingo is a bad car but they should have gone the Turbo route.

Confused

I though you were a massive fan of the N/A engines? as seen in the 197 tbhhmcb?
Offline FORBES  
#12 Posted : 29 August 2008 11:03:23(UTC)
FORBES

For Renault to offer the Renault Sport Twingo with a Turbo engine they would need to totally design a big enough turbo engine, which lets face it they were not going to do, the only Turbo engines they have in the range are the 1.2 and the 2.0.

Although if they stuck the 1.4 R5 Turbo engine in it that would be great, if not slightly unreliable!!

I dont think they are worried about it not being Turbo'd and I think the majority of its direct competitors are N/A
Offline gfaustino  
#13 Posted : 29 August 2008 11:30:31(UTC)
go_faustino

Here is another write up on a Top Gear blog. Once more, they came to Portugal to try it out, like they had done on the 197... Anyone at Renault interested in adding me to the invites list? Please? Big Smile

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/dr...ult-twingo-renaultsport/
Offline simonali  
#14 Posted : 29 August 2008 11:46:20(UTC)
simonali

Top gear write up is good Cool
Offline 197ad  
#15 Posted : 29 August 2008 12:17:48(UTC)
Renault Wolverhampton

yeah thats all good apart from the engine note which as standard on all renaultsports is lacking
Offline gfaustino  
#16 Posted : 29 August 2008 12:28:56(UTC)
go_faustino

If you read the other blog on Top Gear, they say something like the engine note being perfect, and how an aftermarket exhaust could ruin it...

On the handling, once again, the other blog says how he was on a slide at over 90 mph, and this one says how the car just won't loose grip.

But then again, Top Gear has never been known for consistency...

Offline lynch22  
#17 Posted : 29 August 2008 12:30:56(UTC)
lynch22

Quote:
Originally posted by mike225
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Confused

I am a big fan of normally aspirated engines. It's not just the engine that makes a great car but lots of other stuff, chassis, suspension, brakes etc. The Twingo would have been a much better car with the right Turbo and the interior's is a bit shat.
Offline mike225  
#18 Posted : 29 August 2008 15:05:22(UTC)
mike225

Quote:
Originally posted by 197ad
yeah thats all good apart from the engine note which as standard on all renaultsports is lacking

you cant have driven a 197 then ?
Offline PBCup  
#19 Posted : 29 August 2008 15:20:27(UTC)
Phil 172

Quote:
Quote:

For a standard "normal cheap" car it is great. Not as good as the Supercharger MINI Cooper S but good.

However it still sound muted to me.
Offline PBCup  
#20 Posted : 29 August 2008 15:22:28(UTC)
Phil 172

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Confused

I am a big fan of normally aspirated engines. It's not just the engine that makes a great car but lots of other stuff, chassis, suspension, brakes etc. The Twingo would have been a much better car with the right Turbo and the interior's is a bit shat.

For me it would be keeping the n/a but upping the power per litre to somewhere like the 197s engine.

Not only would that make it quicker it would give it that "thrash me" quality like the 197 and CTR have.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#21 Posted : 29 August 2008 16:06:22(UTC)
Jeremy

Offline Jeremy RUK  
#22 Posted : 29 August 2008 16:16:48(UTC)
Jeremy

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Confused

Just to put the facts behind this. There was only one magazine that had driven the car before the press event yesterday and today. They drove it a few months ago in France with myself and loved the n/a engine.
Offline 197ad  
#23 Posted : 29 August 2008 16:25:39(UTC)
Renault Wolverhampton

Quote:
Quote:

yeah and i think thats quiet.the only decent out of the factory exhaust note renault have at the moment is the r26.
Offline The Clang  
#24 Posted : 29 August 2008 16:26:29(UTC)
The Clang

Which mag was that Jeremy?
Offline The Clang  
#25 Posted : 29 August 2008 16:29:15(UTC)
The Clang

Pretty good reviews all round though. Big Smile