Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gfaustino  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2010 01:11:17(UTC)
go_faustino

Not exactly mine, it's at my dad's garage. In need of some work, new brakes and suspension, the stickers, a standard exhaust, the dump valve removed (you can see it clearly on the engine shot), the gas tank lid is missing, but overall in top shape. Can't wait to see it on the road properly. Only driven it inside the premises, but it is a joy.

Offline power ranger  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2010 09:59:59(UTC)
Power Ranger

Is it pearl whire G? Bet you dont find many of them over in Portugal?

Needs some T L C though! Whats happened to the LH strut top it seems non existentLOL

Offline gfaustino  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2010 10:33:50(UTC)
go_faustino

It seems like pearl white. Not sure that's the original colour, though. It has suffered a few little mods, and the painting is in very good shape, so it must have been resprayed at some point. It's also debadged and the stickers had been removed. It has very few miles and this particular car was bought in France by a portuguese emmigrant who brought it here when he returned.

There are some around in Portugal, you saw quite a few around back in their days. Problem is, nowadays you struggle to find one that hasn't been modded to death, and they're getting rarer by the day, they don't look that tough, do they? Any other thing you spot is missing? I could use your help. LOL

By the way, some of you guys are into this so you might know, to remove the dump valve, is it just a case of replacing the hose where it's fitted? Is there any other mod usually done together with that we should be looking out for?

Offline julz  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2010 11:36:56(UTC)
julz

Actually I think it's just the dust making it look pearl and it's just glacier white, I could be wrong, it will give you a paint code on the plate in the engine bay. I can't tell the age from that plate but it seems to have bits of phase 1 and some bits of phase 2. There some inbetweenies ph 1.5 so it may be one of these. Missing front and rear bumper strips btw.
Offline julz  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2010 11:47:06(UTC)
julz

Also missing the side repeaters and personally do not like the white indicators, also need the renault 5GT Turbo badges off the tailgate.
Offline gfaustino  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2010 14:28:27(UTC)
go_faustino

Not sure there were side repeaters, they were not mandatory in all countries, and Renaults in Portugal didn't usually have them. But the outside of the cars has been somewhat... erm... streamlined, and this car is from France, so you could be right. You sure are about the missing GT Turbo logo and the bumper strips.

I don't know the car in detail to know the differences between ph.1 and ph.2, maybe it is a ph.1 and the guy added some ph.2 bits. Not really sure.

Offline julz  
#7 Posted : 24 June 2010 16:23:09(UTC)
julz

I think you are right about the side repeaters and of course continental models could be different from uk versions in other respects but it looks like you have ph1 seats and interior and ph1 rear arches and also that small piece of trim under the rear cluster. The wheels are ph2 as is the grill, can't tell about the bumper from those pics looks like ph2 as it seems to jut out again along the bottom. Ph1 bumpers have a red pinstripe in that recess and ph2 have the inch wide black plastic strip around the rear and on the front quarters.

Edited by user 24 June 2010 16:45:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline power ranger  
#8 Posted : 24 June 2010 17:09:32(UTC)
Power Ranger

Thats correct when you get new wings for R5 they dont come with repeater holes as in European countries they dont have them.

You have to cut your own holes!

Offline julz  
#9 Posted : 24 June 2010 17:28:36(UTC)
julz

And that suspension top mount is ph2, fun and games huhSmile
Offline Os8472  
#10 Posted : 24 June 2010 23:34:45(UTC)
Os8472

Diffecult to tell which it is, either someone has converted most of a ph1 to ph2 spec which is my bet or they've converted a ph2 with the ph1 bits they like

the Ph1.5 never had the ph1 arches

You've got a ph2 engine, you can tell by the coolant system layout

the interior is ph2 albeit with the grey ph1 carpet and ph1 seats

ph2 front and rear bumpers

ph2 alloy wheels

ph2 AEi module location

the ph1 didn't have a spoiler unless the option was ticked

the front grill is ph2

someone has added clear front indicators, these are a non standard part

ph2 strut tops sit offset from the hole where as ph1 sit in the hole

The original colour is a pearl white, the code can be seen on the passenger side front strut tower, the code is 168, this is the same code as the pearl of my R5 GTT, thats a ph1 colour, Ibut with the amount of dust on it I can't be sure if it is still a pearl white or if its been sprayed in straight gloss white, I think it has been sprayed as the ph1 bumpers, arches, skirts, upper and lower light trims are in a textured matt finish, normally in black on a ph1 except for the limited run of pearl white cars when they were molded in white plastic.

Offline julz  
#11 Posted : 25 June 2010 09:37:07(UTC)
julz

I was going to reopen the ph1.5 debate by asking over on rtoc what bits from which phase it came with.Smile looks like this is a ph2 with ph1 seats and carpet then? You would be unlikely to change the engine layout?

Anyway back to the car, its going to look great with a little tlc and a couple of bits.

Offline gfaustino  
#12 Posted : 25 June 2010 09:45:08(UTC)
go_faustino

Wow, you sure know your 5GTTs. Help is much appreciated, thanks. The plan is to bring it back to standard... someday, I don't think my dad will have any mechanic to work on it anytime soon.

I imagine changing things like the engine and struts would be a pretty major revamp. My bet is it's a ph.2 (we could know from the date it was first registered, right?), with the bits from the ph.1 either the owner at the time liked, or had access to. Don't forget, it's a french car, could there have been tiny spec differences to the UK cars?

Now you mention the cooling circuit, I just remembered, the guy had fitted a switch on the dash for the cooling fan (it was fitted on the row of buttons ahead of the gearlever, but it's been taken out already, check it out). Maybe it did have a big overhaul done. Maybe there was extensive accident damage at some point.

As for engine mods, do you spot anything other than the dump valve? To remove it, is it just a case of replacing the hose it is on with the standard one? Or does it require anything else?

Offline Partickpebbles  
#13 Posted : 29 June 2010 11:22:05(UTC)
Partickpebbles

Do love the 5GT................good luck with it!
Offline PAOLO3  
#14 Posted : 30 June 2010 20:13:50(UTC)
Paolo3

When I was a kid I always wanted a 5 Turbo.....

I'd love a mint one....

Offline julz  
#15 Posted : 01 July 2010 09:30:06(UTC)
julz

PAOLO3 wrote:

I'd love a mint one....

Just cut the bottoms off of all your pockets and that's just like owning one but without all the hassle. Wink

Offline CarbonLoader  
#16 Posted : 16 December 2010 17:32:33(UTC)
CarbonLoader

I have an 5 GTE with a turbo from Volvo ;) Building a widebodykit in carbonfibre for it that will make it 100mm wider on each side =)