Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline w27ner  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2010 09:50:01(UTC)
w27ner


Posts: 69

Well I've had my RS200 for 3 weeks now and I was a little worried after reading all the comments about the Cup Pack being a must..

Well I have to say I'm not disappointed in the 200's standard ride. It doesn't ride like a boat, it's very solid through corners and with it you don't feel every little bump in the road.

I would say that on 90% of UK roads a vehicle with the Cup Pack would be hard struck to out perform the standard 200's setup.

I agree that if you are buying a 200 and plan on tracking it the Cup Pack would probably get my vote, but for normal (mostly poor quality) UK roads the standard setup is very capable, comfortable and lot's of fun..

It's down to personal preference I know, just don't think the Cup Pack is the only way to go as if you drive the standard 200 it might surprise you!

I know this thread could be opening a can of worms but I just wanted to share my thoughts on the non Cup Pack RS200 as most feedback is from people with the Cup Pack...
Offline Beacons197  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2010 09:53:51(UTC)
Beacons197


Posts: 440

It's all about personal preferance and what you want out of the car and what you use it for.

Are you in it every day?

Offline w27ner  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2010 09:56:02(UTC)
w27ner


Posts: 69

Yes pretty much everyday..
Offline Mentalpen  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2010 10:14:47(UTC)
Mentalpen


Posts: 6,646

evo had the gordini none cupped and it still won the test against cooper s etc.

personally if i lived in london i'd have the standard but as i'm un unclassified road heaven i added the cup chassis.
Offline Mr.B  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2010 10:28:39(UTC)
Mr.B


Posts: 659

someone, somewhere, in some mag or program....Confused

.

demonstrated that on a bumpy, potholed track (ie a poor road) that a car with a softer setup handled better,

the harder suspension bounced more and therefore did not grip as well

Offline Beacons197  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2010 10:30:58(UTC)
Beacons197


Posts: 440

w27ner wrote:
Yes pretty much everyday..

I did 6-7 laps of the Evo triangle on a Sunday a fortnight ago and my cup was spot on and noticeably better compared to the FF I did it in a year before. After that I did a long drive around Snowdonia, Bala etc then back home down South.

Although I've no complaints at all - the chassis and suspension set up is perfect - I reckon if I used mine every day I'd have to employ a chiropractor.

Edited by user 14 October 2010 10:39:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mcphee197  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2010 11:06:25(UTC)
McPhee200


Posts: 6,910

Im a snob, and could not not spec the cup pack, even if I lived on Jupiter which by all accounts has poor roads.

Edited by user 14 October 2010 11:06:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 08/09/4752 18:14:34(UTC) 172RS  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2010 11:24:02(UTC)
172RS


Posts: 3,720

Mr.B wrote:

someone, somewhere, in some mag or program....Confused

.

demonstrated that on a bumpy, potholed track (ie a poor road) that a car with a softer setup handled better,

the harder suspension bounced more and therefore did not grip as well



And someone has also demonstrated that on evey other road a Cup handles better.
Offline denty999  
#9 Posted : 14 October 2010 11:25:32(UTC)
denty999


Posts: 2,309

The only problem having none cup would be selling private. Each to there own wether ordering but id have it everytime.
Offline parlourboy  
#10 Posted : 14 October 2010 13:54:35(UTC)
parlourboy


Posts: 1,069

As has been said it's everyone to their own really . I think if I did change and buy another RS I might go for the RS as well . I'm not into driving fast around Country lanes and twisties ,and I haven't tracked it yet so I suppose it's wasted on me really . I've also had my fair share of rattles and noises which I probably wouldn't have had if I'd gone for the RS200 . Having said all that ,it's nice to have it on the car and use it as and when you need to .

Offline PAOLO3  
#11 Posted : 14 October 2010 14:09:42(UTC)
Paolo3


Posts: 4,196

Mr.B wrote:

someone, somewhere, in some mag or program....Confused

.

demonstrated that on a bumpy, potholed track (ie a poor road) that a car with a softer setup handled better,

the harder suspension bounced more and therefore did not grip as well



It was in Evo was it not, or the last Performance Car mag.....I had the edition and you're right, they said that for B-road driving the non-Cup proved better....trackdays on even surfaces spec the Cup pack.

I'd like to see the difference as I have a lane by me which is twisty and potholey and uneven and has some sharp left and right hand bends- sometimes the car 'scrambles for grip' and its only momentum that keeps you going...I use the road a lot and often wonder whether a slightly softer set up would aid the car- of course what you gain in grip you may lose in body roll entering the corner anyhow....

I think only a pro driver driving both consistently could truly exploit the difference..I wouldn't push mine to the limit down the road, nor advise anyone else to as the bend is a bridge with a river and uneven surface- quite narrow with oncoming traffic also...

Nonetheless though, for normal roads, I like the Cup pack for the extra agility, the darker wheels and the red Brembo's. Smile

Edited by user 14 October 2010 14:10:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Clang  
#12 Posted : 14 October 2010 14:23:45(UTC)
The Clang


Posts: 15,827

There are popular misconceptions about both chassis; the Cup chassis is harsh and unforgiving, the Sport chassis is too soft for enthusiastic driving etc ...

.

It's all b****** of course, and people will always find good reasons for favouring one over the other. Personally I like how the Cup chassis feels, I like the razor sharp steering, the turn in, how flat it corners, and of course the red calipers, and tbh I'm one of those who thinks that a proper Renaultsport should have it. But, if I bought a non-Cupped 200 I certainly wouldn't be justifying it to any of you lot. LOL

.

w27ner - Glad you like it, and clearly you made the right choice for you, which is the important thing. Smile

Offline w27ner  
#13 Posted : 14 October 2010 14:39:40(UTC)
w27ner


Posts: 69

I wasn't looking to justify my purchase.


Just looking to give some feedback... Most people that have the Cup Pack have never driven a 200 without it, due to the rumours the standard 200 is soft and boat like..

My feedback was purely giving the other side of the usual 1 sided bombardment that the Cup Pack is the be all and end all if you want a excellent handling car, which without a doubt is not the case.


As you say its each to their own, but in my experience I think a lot of people that are looking at buying one would be very surprised by the handling of the standard setup..

Offline Beacons197  
#14 Posted : 14 October 2010 14:49:55(UTC)
Beacons197


Posts: 440

Mr.B wrote:
Nonetheless though, for normal roads, I like the Cup pack for the extra agility, the darker wheels and the red Brembo's. Smile

the nutshell just hit the fan

Offline The Clang  
#15 Posted : 14 October 2010 16:06:06(UTC)
The Clang


Posts: 15,827

denty999 wrote:
The only problem having none cup would be selling private. Each to there own wether ordering but id have it everytime.

True. Rightly or wrongly, most people will want it. Imagine having that conversation with a prospective buyer "Well actually for bumpy roads it's still very compliant and a very capable car" - "Yes mate, but it hasn't got the Cup chassis or red brakes" ... You know it happens.

.

One of the dealers I spoke to had a cancelled order of a Cup without a\c sitting in his showroom. He was having nightmares trying to shift it because it's an option that most people want, even though in this country it's only needed a couple of weeks in the year. Same thing with the Cup chassis really, not that many people will exploit it to its full potential, but they want it anyway.

Offline Mr.B  
#16 Posted : 14 October 2010 16:21:15(UTC)
Mr.B


Posts: 659

Paolo3 wrote:
Mr.B wrote:

someone, somewhere, in some mag or program....Confused

.

demonstrated that on a bumpy, potholed track (ie a poor road) that a car with a softer setup handled better,

the harder suspension bounced more and therefore did not grip as well



It was in Evo was it not, or the last Performance Car mag.....

no, the demo I'm vaguely recalling was pre Mk ll & lll clio

Edited by user 14 October 2010 16:22:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline GiT  
#17 Posted : 14 October 2010 16:44:34(UTC)
GiT


Posts: 526

It's all about the Red Calipers for me! lol.

Cup for me as it'll be rare it see's really crappy roads (Although sleeping policeman line my way home lol)

But I'm near Cadwell - and it's going round there a couple of times a year!

Offline Marc_250  
#18 Posted : 14 October 2010 17:33:32(UTC)
Marc_250


Posts: 5,118

Think the main reason I went for the Cup chassis was just because it was so cheap. I'd have prolly paid 400 quid just to get the calipers in red alone.

Offline demic  
#19 Posted : 14 October 2010 18:17:22(UTC)
demic


Posts: 108

Mr.B wrote:

someone, somewhere, in some mag or program....Confused

.

demonstrated that on a bumpy, potholed track (ie a poor road) that a car with a softer setup handled better,

the harder suspension bounced more and therefore did not grip as well



Exactly the problem my Panda 100hp had. The suspension was too stiif and underdamped coupled with cheap, nasty bump stops. A narrow, twisty back road which it should have excelled at was a nightmare of been bounced off line and frustration of having to back off as you feared for the car's very integrity.

Suprisingly the chasis of the Cup is a touch softer than the 100hp! But it does have the one thing that my old 100hp sorely missed and that's supple, controlled damping. I believe you can make a car's suspension as firm as you like as long as the spring and damper rates are matched.
Offline GiT  
#20 Posted : 14 October 2010 18:24:06(UTC)
GiT


Posts: 526

It's a good chance for Renault though to re-think it's options...

I personally chose the Cup chassis - for the Kudos of it being a cup - and the look of the Red Brakes... If the Red Brakes were available as a £200 option without the Cup Chassis - i'd of probably plumped for that!

Offline strott  
#21 Posted : 14 October 2010 19:13:06(UTC)
strott


Posts: 1,529

Got to say its the looks rather than the perofrmance of the cup chassis that sold it for me, but i'm a useless driver!!

w27ner I would like to see a pic of your 200 to see how much higher it looks (if any) than the cup packed cars (7mm isnt much in reality!!)

Offline PBCup  
#22 Posted : 14 October 2010 19:26:48(UTC)
Phil 172


Posts: 10,735

Harshness and stiffness don't always go completely hand in hand.

I find Renault manage to find a setup that is stiff yet not crashy, there are boggo hatchbacks that crash over the bumps worse than my 200.

Although I do find the 200 crashes a little more than the Trophy did and the Trophy was certainly stiffer than the cuped 200s.

Offline w27ner  
#23 Posted : 14 October 2010 21:32:23(UTC)
w27ner


Posts: 69

strott wrote:

Got to say its the looks rather than the perofrmance of the cup chassis that sold it for me, but i'm a useless driver!!

 

w27ner I would like to see a pic of your 200 to see how much higher it looks (if any) than the cup packed cars (7mm isnt much in reality!!)



I think for 7mm lower you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Only the red calipers visually show a difference I would say.


Offline PandaRS300  
#24 Posted : 15 October 2010 01:25:21(UTC)
PandaRS300


Posts: 78

Hey, w27ner you got anymore pics of your 200 looks stunning!
Offline mcphee197  
#25 Posted : 15 October 2010 08:34:52(UTC)
McPhee200


Posts: 6,910

w27ner wrote:
strott wrote:

Got to say its the looks rather than the perofrmance of the cup chassis that sold it for me, but i'm a useless driver!!

w27ner I would like to see a pic of your 200 to see how much higher it looks (if any) than the cup packed cars (7mm isnt much in reality!!)



I think for 7mm lower you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Only the red calipers visually show a difference I would say.


I say the opposite on that one mate. Even though its 7mm, I can tell the difference between cup and non cup.

Users browsing this topic
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.