Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rja cup  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2011 14:42:53(UTC)
rja cup

I returned to the joys of RenaultSport ownership after a 2 1/2 year sabbatical (I have previously owned and loved a 172 cup, 182 trophy and a mk1 V6) in September after I sold my Focus RS - I purchased a 2007/57 reg197 Cup in white with recaros and spoiler, 21k miles and FRSH - its in perfect condition and up until now has been a pleasure to own and drive on weekends only as I have a company car for daily commuting. The warranty ran out in December.

I took the car out the weekend before last for a run and started to experience a crunching in the gearbox when engaging 4th - the car is still only on 23k miles so I was shocked to say the least.

I have read on both the Clio197 and Cliosport forums that others have experienced this fault - even cars newer cars than mine.

I contacted Renault customer service and told them of my shock and displeasure and the CS manager kindly booked my car into my local dealer (Cardiff) and agreed to cover the £90 diagnostic charge, I did explain that I was confident that the gearbox was damaged (from reading other forum users experiences).

The car went into Cardiff Renault this morning and they diagnosed a that the box needs replacing as the syncromesh has gone between 3rd and 4th and 5th and 4th. The cost of a new box is approx £2.5k.

How can this be right - a 3 and a bit years old car that has 23k miles on it that has not been abused now needs a new gearbox!?

I am a loyal and previous customer to Renault and I have toldthe CS manager (who has been very understanding and helpful) that I am aware of other owners experiencing this shocking fault and although in small numbers, this sounds like a 'common fault' to me. I would like to know how many gearboxes on these models have been replaced due to this fault

I am prepared to fight this and will make sure other potential owners are aware of this fault before they decide to purchase a Clio 197/200.

I hope others can sympathise and advise?

Offline Will86  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2011 15:37:03(UTC)
Will86

Doesn't just seem to be 197's theres a few 200's on here that have had similar problems. Renault should definately offer some sort of goodwill as 23k out of a gearbox is shocking! I had a Mini a couple of years back and the gearbox went on that it was 1 year out of warranty and had 45k miles on the clock and they gave me a 50% discount out of goodwill.... i'd be hoping for a lot more out of Renault given your cars age/mileage e.t.c
Offline steveowens88  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2011 15:55:09(UTC)
steveowens88

To the orignal OP, I had the gearbox replaced after 6.5K on the clock in my 200, sync mesh up and down into 3rd, I woud say Renault CS cover some if not all the costs as a box should have a average milage unitl it needs replacing like 200k. As a further note you would make the 5th person that I know of with this issue, so I can't say its that common though.
Offline CJT_RUK  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2011 20:47:59(UTC)
Carl_T

rja cup - please could you PM me your full name, car registration number and the Case number that Customer Services have given you..

Thank you

Offline PAOLO3  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2011 21:14:02(UTC)
Paolo3

Hi mate,

Happened to my Jan 08 57-plate 197 too, had about 22k on the clock, never been 'ragged' or tracked, mainly just short commutes to and from work- cherished car tbh.

Mine was crunching as it went into 4th gear, roughly 7 or 8 times out of 10 gear changes and so at the 2.5 yr old mark I took it to Renault, the fault was diagnosed by Renault from the data as "an internal fault". I was aware that many others had had the same issue, co-incidentally just as you are describing.

The new 'box was fitted under warranty.

I agree it is very poor show for the part in question.

ps. My car, from new, was fitted with the revised box with longer gearing. You can have the rego too if you require it as a case example.

Edited by user 24 February 2011 21:17:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CJT_RUK  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2011 18:13:13(UTC)
Carl_T

I am sure the OP will be along soon to update this thread and let you all know the outcome.

Edited by user 02 March 2011 19:28:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline foxspeed  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2011 22:13:28(UTC)
foxspeed

looks like the synchro hubs are made from plastic......

too many failing or being reported for it to be "just one of those things" Sad

Offline PAOLO3  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2011 22:52:18(UTC)
Paolo3

I wonder if the dealer he purchased it from offered a warranty on the used car ...6 months or maybe 12....as some dealerships/garages do...
Offline rja cup  
#9 Posted : 03 March 2011 08:25:06(UTC)
rja cup

No update to provide as yet, still awaiting confirmation of assistance - although I can confirm that Renault Customer Services have been very understanding and sympathetic towards my case.

It still is of concern that several other owners seem to be suffering this 'common' fault, it could be that higher numbers than we are aware are experiencing it - if other owners do not use these forums to discuss.

It is too much of a coincidence I feel but personally the person dealing with my case has so far been excellent.

Offline PAOLO3  
#10 Posted : 03 March 2011 14:24:10(UTC)
Paolo3

Tbh, its something that has been reported since as far back as 2008 maybe?

At the time I remember thinking hope that doesn't happen to me! And sadly it did.

I think its fair to say RUK are aware of the 'reported' issue and may perhaps now be sympathetic toward these cases.

I hope that they do the good thing and make you a gesture if nothing else.

Edited by user 03 March 2011 14:25:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline rja cup  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2011 14:49:58(UTC)
rja cup

As mentioned, the manager who has been dealing with my case has been most sympathetic and acknowledges the fact that I am a previuos owner of 3 RS Clio's - which were all trouble free hence me returning to Renault Sport ownership, its just a shame that an issue as big as this has (at the moment) left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I want to love the car like I did my previous Clio's but until this issue is fixed, I cannot enjoy it.

Im hoping the issue gets rectified quickly

Offline rja cup  
#12 Posted : 09 March 2011 12:42:37(UTC)
rja cup

Update on my issue -

Renault CS and Cardiff Renault have agreed to contribute 97.5% costs towards a replacement box and this will include 12 months warranty on the new box.

I have accepted this and can only speak highly of both Alison Bayliss from Renault Customer Services UK and also Cardiff Renault Service team who are contributing 2.5%.

The new box was ordered yesterday and will be in stock by tomorrow - will be fitted on Monday next week when I have time to take the car there.

Thanks to all who were supportive and understanding towards this issue

I can now look forward to enjoying the car again

Thanks

Rich

Offline PAOLO3  
#13 Posted : 09 March 2011 16:35:11(UTC)
Paolo3

That's fantastic news....

Its really great to hear that Smile

Well done RUK!

Offline foxspeed  
#14 Posted : 09 March 2011 17:16:06(UTC)
foxspeed

result Approve
Offline cailean  
#15 Posted : 09 April 2011 11:13:43(UTC)
cailean

Ahhh, I think this is starting to happen to my 200 (20k miles, 1 year 3 months old...never been tracked, mainly used for work commuting). It crunches going into 4th gear, more often when going from 5th to 4th. I will monitor it. It only started yesterday and I thought maybe the clutch needed adjusting especially as the clutch squeaks as well. Then I remembered this thread and blah it all sounds very familiar. So if it continues or gets worse should I book it into my local RS dealer (Crawley Down) or go through RUK CS?
Cheers
Offline White Duck  
#16 Posted : 09 April 2011 11:37:59(UTC)
White Duck

cailean wrote:
Ahhh, I think this is starting to happen to my 200 (20k miles, 1 year 3 months old...never been tracked, mainly used for work commuting). It crunches going into 4th gear, more often when going from 5th to 4th. I will monitor it. It only started yesterday and I thought maybe the clutch needed adjusting especially as the clutch squeaks as well. Then I remembered this thread and blah it all sounds very familiar. So if it continues or gets worse should I book it into my local RS dealer (Crawley Down) or go through RUK CS?
Cheers

As the car is still under warranty I would think take it to the dealer first of all......

Offline CJT_RUK  
#17 Posted : 09 April 2011 12:54:28(UTC)
Carl_T

cailean wrote:
Cheers

Your local dealer would be your first point of call.

RUK will only refer you to your dealer, as we are not able to diagnose / inspect cars over the phone.

Offline rja cup  
#18 Posted : 11 April 2011 08:29:57(UTC)
rja cup

Another faulty gearbox with the exact same issues - very concerning but im sure you will get it sorted with your warranty.
Offline Steve SS  
#19 Posted : 12 April 2011 16:32:03(UTC)
Steve SS

The amount of these failing is quite shocking...I've got mine back now but the new one is pretty notchy. Think I'm going to keep it for a couple of weeks and see if it gets better, if not it's back to the dealers for me!
Offline TheJesus  
#20 Posted : 20 April 2011 12:36:10(UTC)
Jon

Does this issue affect the Megane's as well?
Offline Peternofx  
#21 Posted : 19 September 2016 20:41:05(UTC)
Peternofx

Hi All,

Here my Clio 3 RS 200 CUP (2009) have also issues with the 3rd gear. (89.000km)
Probably the Gearbox Synchros.....

Till now Renault Netherlands won't recognize this problem and will not give any contribution because the Clio is older then 5 years.

So will there be a global solution for this problem?

Thanks...
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#22 Posted : 19 September 2016 20:45:42(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Epic post resurrection
Offline John_walker74  
#23 Posted : 19 September 2016 23:04:25(UTC)
John_walker74

It may be the clutch so worth bleeding that first.
Offline WB83  
#24 Posted : 20 September 2016 09:46:36(UTC)
WB83

The fix for is kit that replaces syncros and other bits with uprated parts. Does not need a replacement box.
Offline Peternofx  
#25 Posted : 20 September 2016 18:37:37(UTC)
Peternofx

Originally Posted by: Buffalo Girls Go to Quoted Post
Epic post resurrection

Big Smile Big Smile you're damn right haha.....Just a wake-up callWink
Or does this mean that from 2011 till now no gearboxes died?Shocked