Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline eastlmark  
#1 Posted : 23 August 2011 12:06:35(UTC)
eastlmark

Lots of positive posts about last weekend in the general Renaultsport forum but would like to add mine here. Written for another forum but would like to share it here as well. Also to add my thanks to Renault UK, Renault Classic in Flins and the WSbR team in general as well as the hard working marshalls on the track all weekend.

As a regular at this event, (as I help organise the Renault collectors area) I rarely get the chance to see much of the actual racing but yesterday I made the effort and spent a couple of hours in the stands at the hairpin (the Loop/Aintree). And year after year I read folks moaning about the public who turn up at this event but I sat in a fairly full stand and saw the Fr2.0 and clio cup race and could not believe the enthusiasm of the crowd. Yes there were cheers at any kind of incident but even the Marshalls moving a car off the track got a round of applause as did every single car from 1st place to last place on the slow down lap. In the Clio cup race, the crowd got behind the last place car and he recieved a "Mansell on Piquet at Stowe" sized cheer when this guy caught up and passed the next car after chasing him down for the majority of the race.
Having been sat among the appathy of so called real race fans for many years it was very heartening to experience.
Yes, there are a lot of people who go there for the freebies, fun fair and probably a good few piss heads there as well but a good majority are there for the right reasons and enjoying a days free racing at a very high level.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2011 12:59:36(UTC)
Jeremy

Thanks for your thoughts Mark