Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2014 16:15:05(UTC)
Jeremy

SOCHI OVERVIEW
RÉMI TAFFIN, RENAULT SPORT F1 HEAD OF TRACK OPERATIONS
Sochi is a brand new track on the calendar this year, but the characteristics are very similar to other circuits we have visited in the past or this season. It is actually most like Singapore or the street track in Valencia we visited from 2008 to 2012 – a high-speed, street track with tight corners. From our simulations we see that the average speed will be 200kph, with approximately 56% of the lap spent at wide open throttle, well above the ‘traditional’ street average.

The long lap opens with a short burst of wide open throttle. The pit straight blends into a right hand curve where the driver will keep the speed until the braking point for Turn 2, giving a total burst of speed for some 14 seconds. The ICE and turbo will therefore be put under pressure, but there is only one other period of duress round the lap for these parts; the curve from Turn 10 to 13 at the back of the track.

Sector two is much more point-squirt, with right-angled turns that give the MGU-K plenty of chance to recover energy. The two corners that round the Olympic building, Turns 2 and 4, are the hardest stops and see the car speed drop to 100kph, with each braking event around 2.5 seconds. The back of the circuit has similar corners, such as Turn 13 where the speed drops to 85kph, making it quite tricky for the drivers to judge, but providing several overtaking opportunities.

While a new race requires a lot more preparation before we go, we have been able to work quite efficiently by using data from other circuits with similar traits. It helps, for example, that we visited Singapore relatively recently, which has the same blend of tight corners linked by intense straights. In this respect we believe the Power Unit will perform well here since this type of track suits the characteristics of the Energy F1-2014 quite well. As we saw in Singapore the gap between the cars at the front is likely to be very small so we should be in for a good race.

NEWS FROM TOTAL
The additives incorporated into Total’s F1 fuels are crucial to the Renault Energy F1-2014 Power Unit in helping prevent overall failure and avoiding loss of engine power during its life cycle. The additives developed by researchers help reduce friction segments. In a similar way they help avoid deposits on piston crowns and hot engine parts, plus lubricate the high pressure fuel pumps and prevent ‘coking’ of the injectors. These active molecules have different properties: detergency, anti-corrosion, anti-oxidation, reduction of the emulsion with air, friction modification plus improved combustion.

RENAULT ENERGY F1-2014 FAST FACTS
Sochi is the third longest lap on the calendar after Spa and Silverstone. At over 5.8km fuel consumption per lap will be high, but with plenty of tight corners and short bursts of power the high rate will be balanced out by energy recovery via the MGU-K and MGU-H, so we do not expect to be on the 100kg fuel limit permitted for the race.

To prepare for the race, engineers have conducted work on the transient dyno to simulate a full lap of the track and the performance dyno for certain performance items we think will be of particular use in Sochi.

The weather in Sochi is similar to Europe at this time of year, with maximum ambient temperatures averaging 20°C during the day. It can however be very cold in the morning and evening. With the race starting at 15:00hrs local time it is therefore likely that the ambient temperatures will be colder at the end of the race than at the start. This will affect tyre performance and is something strategists will have to factor in, particularly if the race is very tight.

As a new race on the calendar, the biggest challenge will be correlating the simulations to the track performance. The novelty of the track will make preparations intense and the workload will be busy over the course of the weekend. Most teams will be conservative on Friday as they scope out the track and conditions, getting progressively more aggressive as the weekend progresses.
Offline -Gazeratti-  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2014 17:16:58(UTC)
-Gazeratti-

New Country, New Track. whats every ones predictions?
Offline foxspeed  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2014 18:30:25(UTC)
foxspeed

merc 1 & 2 Big Smile Blush
Offline michaelw3628  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2014 20:47:45(UTC)
MikeWDY

Originally Posted by: foxspeed Go to Quoted Post

I'm gonna go against the grain here and think a little differently...

I think it'll be a merc 2 and 1.
Offline Marc_250  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2014 21:38:47(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: MikeWDY Go to Quoted Post

I'm gonna go against the grain here and think a little differently...

I think it'll be a merc 2 and 1.

I'd go with a Merc victory. Hoping for Rosberg myself.
Offline Marc_250  
#6 Posted : 10 October 2014 11:59:00(UTC)
Marc_250

1 stopper on the cards.
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:23:17(UTC) Roblynn1977  
#7 Posted : 10 October 2014 12:21:04(UTC)
Roblynn1977

McLaren are looking good I would love to see them win a race again.
Offline sunnylunn  
#8 Posted : 10 October 2014 13:06:19(UTC)
sunnylunn

I hope Jenson isn't running around on lowish fuel to get the times, i would love to see him win one this season.Looka a decent circuit for a new build.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#9 Posted : 10 October 2014 15:44:05(UTC)
Jeremy

Key practice points:
• FP1 and FP2 sees F1 make first appearance at all-new Sochi Autodrom ahead of inaugural Russian Grand Prix
• Quiet day for Infiniti Red Bull Racing, with Sebastian Vettel ninth in FP2 after Daniel Ricciardo stopped on track to avoid a Power Unit issue
• Scuderia Toro Rosso best of the Renault-powered teams, with Daniil Kvyat and Jean-Eric Vergne ending both sessions inside the top-10
• Roberto Merhi makes third FP1 outing of the year for Caterham F1 Team, while Lotus F1 Team gain valuable mileage
Rémi Taffin, head of track operations:
‘Great start for Scuderia Toro Rosso’
There were a lot of encouraging signs today, especially as most of our Power Units were running old parts or coming to the end of their cycles. That was certainly the case with Daniel Ricciardo’s PU, which was safely stopped on track. There’s no fundamental problem to worry about there, but we’ll still check to find out if there’s any potential issues.
Toro Rosso’s form looks especially good. I know they’ve enjoyed a lot of trouble-free running today and also seem to have found a good set-up. If they can build on that tomorrow then I think both drivers have a fantastic chance of breaking into Q3.
Red Bull are probably a bit behind where they’d like to be, and you can be sure we’ll be assisting them this evening in helping to extract the car’s true pace. The Sochi circuit is unusual in having so many 90-degree corners, which can throw up some specific demands. But ultimately I fully expect them to be in podium contention on Sunday, especially as both of our factories are working flat-out to build on today’s track data and find the right car set-up.
Both Lotus and Caterham also had positive days, especially in FP2 after they’d verified their pre-event simulations.
Offline -Gazeratti-  
#10 Posted : 10 October 2014 17:00:25(UTC)
-Gazeratti-

Originally Posted by: sunnylunn Go to Quoted Post
I hope Jenson isn't running around on lowish fuel to get the times, i would love to see him win one this season.Looka a decent circuit for a new build.

He's seats in danger so need to get his arse in gear till the end of the season
Offline foxspeed  
#11 Posted : 10 October 2014 18:50:19(UTC)
foxspeed

lotus going to merc engines next year so they might get in the top 15 next year Tongue
Offline Marc_250  
#12 Posted : 10 October 2014 19:09:50(UTC)
Marc_250

lotus going to merc engines next year so they might get in the top 15 next year Tongue

Could mean Maldonado starting mid pack, bet Lotus and all the other teams are stock piling parts already.
Offline michaelw3628  
#13 Posted : 10 October 2014 19:14:31(UTC)
MikeWDY

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post

Could mean Maldonado starting mid pack, bet Lotus and all the other teams are stock piling parts already.

Big Smile

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 10 October 2014 19:24:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline foxspeed  
#14 Posted : 10 October 2014 19:42:25(UTC)
foxspeed

Big Smile

UserPostedImage

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Offline Marc_250  
#15 Posted : 10 October 2014 19:50:55(UTC)
Marc_250

Very good ;)
Offline -Gazeratti-  
#16 Posted : 10 October 2014 19:55:12(UTC)
-Gazeratti-

Big Smile

UserPostedImage

LOL LOL like it
Offline Marc_250  
#17 Posted : 12 October 2014 14:30:30(UTC)
Marc_250

A so so race.

As Maldonado failed to crash into anyone Grosjean stepped up and took Sutil out. LOL

Looks like Rosberg could be starting to crack, shame as he was flying in the race although I guess Hamilton was only cruising.
Offline michaelw3628  
#18 Posted : 12 October 2014 16:42:56(UTC)
MikeWDY

Boring race IMO. Shame about Rosberg. That had the the makings of fireworks if he'd kept his cool at the first corner.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#19 Posted : 12 October 2014 16:51:22(UTC)
Jeremy

Race report:

Infiniti Red Bull Racing experienced a low-key Russian Grand Prix at Sochi Autodrom this afternoon where Daniel Ricciardo came home seventh and team-mate Sebastian Vettel eighth. Further back, Scuderia Toro Rosso struggled to translate their strong qualifying form into race pace after Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniil Kvyat finished 13th and 14th respectively.

Key race points:
• Weather conditions couldn’t have been more different to those at Suzuka seven days earlier, with bright sunshine, clear skies and warm temperatures present throughout the afternoon. Low tyre degradation, especially on the prime rubber, allowed much of the field to make just one pit-stop and maintain strong lap times throughout each stint, regardless of the compound.
• Vettel was the main beneficiary of a congested run to the second corner, from which he emerged seventh after starting 10th. Ricciardo was right with him though and it wasn’t long before both Red Bull drivers had passed the fast-starting Vergne. The pair continued to run in close formation until lap 12 when the Australian pitted for his mandatory switch on to the harder prime tyre. Not until Vettel did likewise 19 laps later did the battle shake out, with Ricciardo jumping the world champion before setting off in pursuit of Fernando Alonso’s Ferrari. But after the Spaniard held his ground, and with Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes recovering from an early out of sequence pit-stop, Ricciardo was forced to settle for seventh ahead of Vettel.
• After a promising qualifying session had seen both cars qualify inside the top-10, Scuderia Toro Rosso spent much of the afternoon fighting a rear-guard action. Vergne made an electric start to initially jump up to fifth from ninth, but was soon overhauled by the chasing pack despite offering a particularly feisty defence against McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen. The need to conserve fuel eventually saw the Frenchman come home 13th, one place clear of team-mate Kvyat who couldn’t capitalise on his career-best fifth place in qualifying.
• Lotus F1 Team’s Romain Grosjean recovered from a five-second stop/go penalty for a marginal altercation with Sauber’s Adrian Sutil to finish 17th, while team-mate Pastor Maldonado was 18th.
• Caterham F1 Team’s Marcus Ericsson maintained his qualifying form by hassling both Lotus drivers throughout, before a late pit-stop saw him finish 19th. Kamui Kobayashi retired with a brake problem.
• Mercedes’ one-two helped them clinch the Constructors’ crown, taking the title away from Infiniti Red Bull Racing who consolidated their second spot in the standings. Ricciardo remains a strong third, while Vettel slips to fifth in the fight for fourth with Valtteri Bottas and Alonso.

Rémi Taffin, Head of Track Operations:
Sochi was a tough race for us so to get two cars in the top-10 was a good result, even if we’re used to finishing higher. Daniel might have been able to fight for a better finish had he not been swamped at the start and only having one pit-stop to play with. There was also minimal tyre degradation so being smooth didn’t pay its usual dividends.
This was the first time that anyone had raced at Sochi and there was no prior data to base our analysis on. Nevertheless, I thought everyone did a great job to manage their energy and fuel consumption, as we knew it would be marginal. Our reliability was also good here, but in the end we don’t have too many points to show for it. That’s the way it goes sometimes.
Finally, I must congratulate our great rivals Mercedes for wrapping up the Constructors’ title. We know the feeling well and will be doing everything in our power to take it back. That starts as early as Austin in three weeks when, for the first time since 2010, we will be the challengers! There is still much to play for and we’ll be doing everything possible to help Red Bull secure second in the championship.
Offline Dynamique1976  
#20 Posted : 12 October 2014 18:47:50(UTC)
@F1Ranting

Very boring race. Good recovery to 2nd from Nico Rosberg after his silly mistake at the first corner.

Highlight of the race was being blocked on Twitter (@F1Ranting) by Pastor Maldonado. Must not like me taking the mickey. Big Smile Wink
Offline michaelw3628  
#21 Posted : 12 October 2014 19:09:50(UTC)
MikeWDY

Originally Posted by: @F1Ranting Go to Quoted Post
Very boring race. Good recovery to 2nd from Nico Rosberg after his silly mistake at the first corner.

Highlight of the race was being blocked on Twitter (@F1Ranting) by Pastor Maldonado. Must not like me taking the mickey. Big Smile Wink

Are you sure he blocked you? It could be that his Twitter account crashed...Wink
Offline foxspeed  
#22 Posted : 12 October 2014 19:51:31(UTC)
foxspeed

Are you sure he blocked you? It could be that his Twitter account crashed...Wink

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Offline Dynamique1976  
#23 Posted : 14 October 2014 06:50:29(UTC)
@F1Ranting

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I think it was my tweet congratulating him on getting through Quali without crashing which did it.
Offline michaelw3628  
#24 Posted : 14 October 2014 19:06:28(UTC)
MikeWDY

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I think it was my tweet congratulating him on getting through Quali without crashing which did it.

That's funny. Maybe set up a rogue Twitter account named as Euro NCAP and offer him a job. Can easily fit in with his normal everyday duties nd get paid for it,