Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JSFB  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2015 15:48:49(UTC)
JSFB


Posts: 10

Anyone else have any problems with their gearbox? Bought the wife a 275 Trophy but after 2000 miles it intermittently will not shift from 2 to 3rd gear.... not grinding or anything just will not go in.... like their is no notch to put it in. It has also been popping out of 2nd gear to neutral randomly. The car has been in the garage for a week now and they claim they cant recreate the problem so curious if anyone else has the same problem? before i need to get the lawyers involved;-( Any thought on cause or solution appreciated also!
Offline ttpsm2  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2015 16:23:34(UTC)
ttpsm2


Posts: 286

gear box is pile of crap on this car, its weakest component. Would have paid extra for a proper box.
Offline TeaJay  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2015 16:30:51(UTC)
TeaJay


Posts: 206
Location: Milton Keynes

No problems here ... but feel gutted for you :(
Offline foxspeed  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2015 17:32:01(UTC)
foxspeed


Posts: 21,592
Location: retour dans la bulle

gear change can be a bit notchy especially when cold but slots home fine as long as your positive about the change and don't change gear like a tart
Offline probecomp  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2015 17:43:43(UTC)
probecomp


Posts: 822

I would try my best to find out how to replicate the problem, especially popping out of the second gear (is it low rpm and step on the gas, or high rpms, or off throttle/on throttle action that provokes it) and demonstrate that to the dealer.

Your other bet is that it will get worse (and easier to demonstrate)...

But their position is quite lame - why would you make up something like that? And on a new car.

Edited by user 14 April 2015 17:44:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline dinn  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2015 18:50:57(UTC)
dinn


Posts: 1,193

Still under warranty so you don't need to worry too much.
Offline Marc_250  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2015 21:12:45(UTC)
Marc_250


Posts: 5,117

Originally Posted by: ttpsm2 Go to Quoted Post
gear box is pile of crap on this car, its weakest component. Would have paid extra for a proper box.


Been the odd mounting go but the box is fundamentally sound to my knowledge. It's often noted as a positive point of the Megane in most reviews.
Offline mcowey2000  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2015 06:18:01(UTC)
mcowey2000


Posts: 319

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ttpsm2 Go to Quoted Post
gear box is pile of crap on this car, its weakest component. Would have paid extra for a proper box.


Been the odd mounting go but the box is fundamentally sound to my knowledge. It's often noted as a positive point of the Megane in most reviews.


Yep, I agree. Never heard of any serious gearbox issues. My 275 is ok and I drove a 250 before that for 5 years and never had any issues with the gearbox.
Offline ttpsm2  
#9 Posted : 15 April 2015 08:29:45(UTC)
ttpsm2


Posts: 286

its rubbish compared to a porsche, just sayin, the car would be the best bar none on the market with a decent gearbox
Offline merrydoc  
#10 Posted : 15 April 2015 15:36:46(UTC)
merrydoc


Posts: 50

Sorry to hear about your issue,
Does it do it when you drive or just the wife,as every time we change car my wife takes ages to bed in with a new gear box.
Offline -Jamie-  
#11 Posted : 15 April 2015 22:51:22(UTC)
-Jamie-


Posts: 30

Originally Posted by: ttpsm2 Go to Quoted Post
gear box is pile of crap on this car, its weakest component. Would have paid extra for a proper box.


Weakest? LOL. Stock clutch will go long before the gearbox will. I have put 360+lbsft through my box for around 2 years and it hasn't failed or shat itself in anyway. Other than the DMF going due to a s***e map. Replaced with a light SMF now and have no plans to do anything else to the box, Even once the hybrid is fitted.

Originally Posted by: ttpsm2 Go to Quoted Post
its rubbish compared to a porsche, just sayin, the car would be the best bar none on the market with a decent gearbox


Comparing a cheap hatchback to a proper sports car, Go you....


Curious, What is a "proper" gearbox to you?

Edited by user 15 April 2015 22:52:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline JSFB  
#12 Posted : 16 April 2015 03:36:12(UTC)
JSFB


Posts: 10

Merrydoc it appears to do it randomly after driving for more than 15 minutes.... its the wives car so i have only drive about 100 miles in it and given she has only every driven performance cars quite sure its not an operator error. The garage have managed to replicate it now and are changing selector cables first to see if that will sort.
Didn't mean to start a debate about gearboxes was just looking for advice / suggestions. Got to disagree with the Porsche comments i sold my Porsche as 2nd gear was good for nearly 80 mph so the other 4 gears where a waste of time plus i don't think they feel particularity special to shift.
Just really gutted to be having problems with a brand new car! Especially this one as i think its the best hot hatch that i have ever driven.
Thanks for all the comments advice
Offline JSFB  
#13 Posted : 21 April 2015 18:10:09(UTC)
JSFB


Posts: 10

Well no joy with the selector cables... After them coming all the way from France apparently. So now waiting on a selector box which is on back order.... So god knows when that will turn up! Then guess they will want to change the gear knob, then the volume button for the radio, then maybe the windscreen before we get to the gearbox (which will be 20 month build time no doubt) Still everything is apparently ok because we get to drive about in a 1.5 deisel megane! All this and condescending dealer... And no existent customer service from renault UK, really not what you expect with a brand new car. Have lit 15 candles and will sit and pray for the next 4 hours in hope that Renault will actual call me back tomorrow as promised!
Offline GrumpyTwig  
#14 Posted : 21 April 2015 21:07:42(UTC)
GrumpyTwig


Posts: 1,048

Which dealer's it at? We're not afraid to name names around here, everyone knows a lot of them are.... sub-par.
Offline JSFB  
#15 Posted : 22 April 2015 17:13:25(UTC)
JSFB


Posts: 10

Wasn't going to name the dealer as sure most are the same standard anyways. Plus despite them being rubbish my main gripe is with Renault who build this piece of crap in the first place and still cant tell me whats wrong with it. I am guessing the garage will have had the car longer than us and driven more miles in it by the time this is sorted out.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#16 Posted : 22 April 2015 20:42:27(UTC)
Jeremy


Posts: 7,618

Hi JSFB - sorry to hear of your problem. Have you discussed this with our customer relations team?
Offline Andy275  
#17 Posted : 23 April 2015 06:27:55(UTC)
Andy275


Posts: 238

Unfortunately it's not just Renault that are crap.
We had a brand new Audi A1 clutch fail after 10k miles, they tried to blame us but after speaking to there head mechanic he put it down to a fault on the clutch so they agreed to repair it on warrenty (eventually) they had the car 5 weeks before they found the prob and admitted responsibility. Got it back and 2 weeks later boost pipe spilt again audi were usless had the car another 3 weeks even though they knew the problem. This was all in first year of owning the car. Audi UK and the dealership were awful to deal with no sorry apart from a bunch of flowers for my partner which died after 1 day. Says it all I guess. Totally put us off Audi!
On the plus side it meant I got my way and came back to Renaultsport. Haha.
Offline JSFB  
#18 Posted : 23 April 2015 17:38:59(UTC)
JSFB


Posts: 10

Jeremy yes i have a case number and everything. We had a very open and frank discussion yesterday. So burning the candles and praying for them to call me back obviously worked! Although to be honest not sure if they have helped or not..... as i am still sitting here looking a 1.5 diesel megane instead of the brand new 275 we bought! Also not sure i actual even want to see the car again as fear ever time i go to change gear i will be wondering if it will work or when its going to break again. So had a good chat with a lawyer today who specializes in this stuff and actually considering rejecting the car under the sales of goods act.

Andy unfortunately I have heard a good few similar stories about Audi. Customer service these days from most major car brands is just an absolute joke.
Offline Jeremy RUK  
#19 Posted : 23 April 2015 18:28:34(UTC)
Jeremy


Posts: 7,618

Originally Posted by: JSFB Go to Quoted Post
Jeremy yes i have a case number and everything. We had a very open and frank discussion yesterday. So burning the candles and praying for them to call me back obviously worked! Although to be honest not sure if they have helped or not..... as i am still sitting here looking a 1.5 diesel megane instead of the brand new 275 we bought! Also not sure i actual even want to see the car again as fear ever time i go to change gear i will be wondering if it will work or when its going to break again. So had a good chat with a lawyer today who specializes in this stuff and actually considering rejecting the car under the sales of goods act.

Andy unfortunately I have heard a good few similar stories about Audi. Customer service these days from most major car brands is just an absolute joke.



Can you PM me the case number? Thanks

Offline JSFB  
#20 Posted : 27 April 2015 14:37:31(UTC)
JSFB


Posts: 10

So folks confirmed today they have changed everything apart from the gearbox and problem still occurring so now changing the gearbox! So 2000 miles in and needs an new gearbox..... speaks volumes for Renault build quality.... wonder how long number 2 will last... so look out i guess 265hp was the limit of the gearbox then. Also customer service still not improved one bit. Rejection letter in the post!
Offline foxspeed  
#21 Posted : 27 April 2015 19:26:45(UTC)
foxspeed


Posts: 21,592
Location: retour dans la bulle

and what happens if they just stuck a box in it and it didn't cure it...like all warranties you wont just get the most expensive part replaced just like that choose who it is

certainly not a common fault
Offline JSFB  
#22 Posted : 27 April 2015 19:39:35(UTC)
JSFB


Posts: 10

That's right I had my fingers crossed I would get the most expensive part replaced...... Just what I wanted when I bought a brand new car.... Two new gear boxes! Also not sure what common is.... 1 out of 876 is quite high failure rate in any industry. Let's hope it is just one so that everyone else doesn't need to deal with this crap. Let's also hope they don't all turn out like the clio 197 / 200 boxes!
Offline foxspeed  
#23 Posted : 27 April 2015 20:20:53(UTC)
foxspeed


Posts: 21,592
Location: retour dans la bulle

Originally Posted by: JSFB Go to Quoted Post
That's right I had my fingers crossed I would get the most expensive part replaced...... Just what I wanted when I bought a brand new car.... Two new gear boxes! Also not sure what common is.... 1 out of 876 is quite high failure rate in any industry. Let's hope it is just one so that everyone else doesn't need to deal with this crap. Let's also hope they don't all turn out like the clio 197 / 200 boxes!


be a bit more than 1:876 if by that you mean trophy numbers...gearbox has been in 250 since 59 plates
Offline probecomp  
#24 Posted : 27 April 2015 20:44:11(UTC)
probecomp


Posts: 822

This is the first time (I believe) someone has been complaining about the gearbox in the Megane, on this forum... They have been very reliable and durable, going now 5 years, with no problems. Btw, I believe the gearbox actually comes from Nissan (could be wrong).

Yours is obviously an odd duck, misinstalled or just a bad part as new. These things happen with new cars... No need to feel that the whole car or the Megane as a model is bad in anyway.

This could have easily happened to you with any brand, Germans included.
Offline GrumpyTwig  
#25 Posted : 27 April 2015 22:44:28(UTC)
GrumpyTwig


Posts: 1,048

Originally Posted by: probecomp Go to Quoted Post
This is the first time (I believe) someone has been complaining about the gearbox in the Megane, on this forum... They have been very reliable and durable, going now 5 years, with no problems. Btw, I believe the gearbox actually comes from Nissan (could be wrong).

Yours is obviously an odd duck, misinstalled or just a bad part as new. These things happen with new cars... No need to feel that the whole car or the Megane as a model is bad in anyway.

This could have easily happened to you with any brand, Germans included.


PK4 gearbox as opposed to the ND0 in the mk2, from a quick look it has a variety of uses across the larger models.

It's only the second one I've heard of breaking. Lots of other issues that are just inherent with the gearbox like whines and notchy changes, clunks etc. etc. but breaks seem unusual.
Users browsing this topic
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.