Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline grabla  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2016 16:31:48(UTC)
grabla

Hi all

Im trying to disable the Traction control on a 2015 T3, but having difficulty.

The brakes are automatically applied in first gear when the car senses wheelspin. I dont want this.

There is no switch to turn TC off.

Therefore if I remove the ABS fuse, it should prevent the brakes from being applied automatically when wheelspin is detected.

But where is the ABS fuse? Any ideas, please let me know.

I have found a fuse block in the front, with 30, 40 and 50A fuses. Could it be one of these?

Thanks
Graham
Offline RED21  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2016 17:18:56(UTC)
RED21

I would strongly advise against disabling thIs function as it is part of the safety systems for the vehicle.
If wheel spin is detected it doesn't apply the brakes but reduces the throttle opening. If one rear wheel spins that wheel will have the brake slightly applied plus a reduction in throttle opening.
You will also prevent other systems on the vehicle from operating correctly which may put in to limp home mode.
But the question is why?
Offline grabla  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2016 19:30:50(UTC)
grabla

So the car is used for trialling, BTRDA events, and when we try to drive up hills, and the wheels spin, the Traction control kicks in and the car stops. We usually apply throttle at the point of wheel spin and drive the car up the hill. On the throttle. But the little Twingo thinks otherwise.

If TC didn't work in first gear. That would be perfect.

So we want to disable TC when at an event, which is on private land, not on the public highway, as sanctioned by the MSA, with liability insurance.

Does that help?
Offline grabla  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2016 19:31:53(UTC)
grabla

It does apply the brakes btw, to the wheel that is spinning.
Offline grabla  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2016 19:48:07(UTC)
grabla

http://www.btrda.com/Car_Trials/

This is what the twingo is being used for. :)

So even though it's not a Sport, it is used for sport. Hope that's in the spirit of this forum.
Offline RED21  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2016 20:12:45(UTC)
RED21

I understand why now, I will see.
PM sent
Offline Marc_250  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2016 21:15:20(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: grabla Go to Quoted Post
http://www.btrda.com/Car_Trials/

This is what the twingo is being used for. :)

So even though it's not a Sport, it is used for sport. Hope that's in the spirit of this forum.

Great idea for that little rwd twingo.
Offline GrumpyTwig  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2016 23:00:03(UTC)
GrumpyTwig

This sounds nuts, but nuts in the way that I'd like to watch it done :)
Offline grabla  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2016 23:08:30(UTC)
grabla

It's a very capable platform, and should do well against the Imps. Just need to defeat the TC and she'll win plenty of awards. We fitted an old Samsung phone today, so we now have a rev counter via the Renault software. The Bluetooth interface appears to work well.

Next event is the 21st January at Cambridge so we'd really like to get her sorted by then. We've already found the fuse to disable ESC but the TC still defeats us. Help sounds like it might be near.
Offline GrumpyTwig  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2016 09:44:49(UTC)
GrumpyTwig

http://www.e-guide.renau...&pays=gbr&car=41

I'm amazed this exists, a fuse box diagram of all things for a Renault. Next they'll include it in the manual with the RS cars too! Though maybe not...

Edited by user 03 January 2016 09:50:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline grabla  
#11 Posted : 03 January 2016 09:58:46(UTC)
grabla

There is a second fuse box inside the front radiator compartment (under the bonnet), with 40, 50, 60A fuses, plus four other fuses (2x25 and 2x30A).

It sits directly above the ABS pump. I'm assuming the 60A is for the starter motor, the 40 is for the fuse box inside the car, and the 50A could be for the ABS.

Fuse box in radiator compartment

The fuse box inside the car allows us to remove the ESC fuse, to disconnect the steering wheel sensor, that allows the car to turn rapidly left and right without the ESC kicking in.
Offline NAP  
#12 Posted : 26 July 2017 15:24:59(UTC)
NAP

Hi Graham,

I have read with great interest your post on disabling traction control or ABS on the Twingo 3, as I've been thinking of doing something similar, so I would like to ask if you have succeeded and what is your experience of driving the car.

I am more interested in disabling the electric steering as I hate the artificial feel. If my understanding is correct, by removing the ESC fuse inside the cabin both the ESC and steering are disabled.

Does this make the car go into limp mode or had any other issues?

Does the steering get heavy or 'sticky' and what about feel and response?

Please give as much feedback as you can on how the car's handling is affected and if there are any negatives in your experience.

Thanks in advance,

Nic