Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline eccentric1  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2016 06:50:26(UTC)
eccentric1

Excuse my ignorance here but I've only ever used CDs in a car so far and the Clio I'll be collecting later in the month (Trophy) has the ability to play files directly from memory sticks - I believe?

So, I've started ripping a couple of my CDs to hard disk to see how easy it is ... it's easy.

What I currently have is a directory / folder structure on my hard disk which Media Player has created as follows:

Level 1; Music
Level 2; artist name
Level 3; album name
Level 4; MP3 files for that album
eg Music/artist/album/<all MP3 files for album>

Can I retain a multi directory structure like this on a memory stick and still play the albums or do I have to have just all MP3 files for all albums at Level 1?

Sorry for my ignorance but this is all new to me and I'd like to get it right on day 1.
Offline Stuntedgrowth  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2016 15:34:48(UTC)
Stuntedgrowth

Yep should work fine, that's pretty much all I did. Just to add I think the stick needs to be formatted in FAT32 I believe?

Edited by user 03 November 2016 15:35:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline eccentric1  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2016 15:42:11(UTC)
eccentric1

Ahh thanks.
Today I ripped 7 albums to just under 1gb, that should do for one stick and I'll do further for extra sticks over the next couple of weeks.

I only have a couple of old memory sticks laying around so I'll buy 2 or 3 new quicker ones and look at reformatting them as FAT32.
Thanks again.
Offline GTR1400MAN  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2016 11:51:46(UTC)
GTR1400MAN

Get yourself one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381197738337

Works straight out of the packaging and is really hardly noticeable in the car. I've rubbed the branding off and now it is almost invisible.

Be careful who you buy from. Lots of fake USB sticks on ebay. The one I've linked to is a reputable seller who I bought mine from (I've no connection with them).
Offline Deckard  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2016 16:35:09(UTC)
Deckard

Originally Posted by: GTR1400MAN Go to Quoted Post
Get yourself one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381197738337

Works straight out of the packaging and is really hardly noticeable in the car. I've rubbed the branding off and now it is almost invisible.

Be careful who you buy from. Lots of fake USB sticks on ebay. The one I've linked to is a reputable seller who I bought mine from (I've no connection with them).

Amazon do a verbatim 32 at £7.95
https://www.amazon.co.uk...amp;keywords=nano+32+usb

Personal preference for me is sandisk, but back in the day I only ever bought verbatim disks.

I have the 64Gb sandisk loaded with an awful lot of music and is usb3 so faster transfers on compatible hardware (backwards compatible on non usb3).
Offline eccentric1  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2016 04:45:21(UTC)
eccentric1

Interesting, I was in a local store on Friday and picked up an 8gb stick to play with as I only have a couple of older and slower ones around the house. Ideally I wanted a smaller capacity but there weren't any as I've currently ripped 7 full CDs to a total of just under 1 gb of space. At the moment my thought is to have a stick per artist or genre but when the car arrives and I see exactly how it works (for me) I may change my mind and go with just one stick of a larger capacity. It all depends upon how or even if I'm able to select what I can hear from what's on the stick.
If 1gb can accommodate 7 albums then a 64gb stick can potentially accommodate over 400 which is more than I have, pretty stunning really.

Whilst in the store I noticed a few of those nano drives and was a little puzzled as I'd never noticed them before, so thanks for suggesting them and confirming that they are compatible, they look like an ideal solution that I'll probably eventually run with.

I agree about sandisk. I have a couple of DSLRs as photography is a serious hobby and will only use sandisk cards in them but the store I visited on Friday didn't stock sandisk sticks. Maybe I have to use ebay or find another store.

I just checked online and found test results for what are supposedly the 7 best USB sticks and the winner was ....... one of the three sandisks, specifically the "ultra fit" 64gb nano drive. It was faster than the 32gb version which won the value for money award.
Offline GTR1400MAN  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2016 07:21:34(UTC)
GTR1400MAN

Once you got your files on the stick, either in a folder per album or with a higher level artist/album folfer format, you will be able to select the following on screen:

By folder
By artist
By album
By genre

Of course the last 3 options are dependent on the tags you have put in the MP3 files.
Offline eccentric1  
#8 Posted : 06 November 2016 08:08:12(UTC)
eccentric1

Brilliant, exactly what I was hoping for.
I personally haven't put any tags in the mp3 files but media player automatically saved them under a structure of artist name/album name/ then the mp3 files under album name.

So long as I can select the folder / sub folder it gives all I need and I can stack everything on one big nano stick.
Thanks again.
Offline jamesev  
#9 Posted : 07 November 2016 07:25:05(UTC)
jamesev

If you extract files from CD and you are connected to the web the application that converts to MP3 will recognise the CD from the track structures times etc, connect to CDDB (online CD database) and all the ID3 (track metadata) will be attained and written to the mp3 file.
Offline eccentric1  
#10 Posted : 10 November 2016 14:04:31(UTC)
eccentric1

Thanks to a special offer at a new store, today I picked up the Sandisk Ultra Fit 64gb cheaper than the ones on ebay.
Well happy.
Offline eccentric1  
#11 Posted : 24 November 2016 06:01:03(UTC)
eccentric1

I've been ripping the CDs constantly in my free time and have finally done all I want for now which means a total of around 175 CDs now completed and they only take up 22gb of the 64gb flash drive, excellent.
As my Clio is scheduled for delivery next week I have to wait to see how it works on that, but for now I'm driving a Mercedes S Class for business and have been using it there for the last couple of days. It works brilliantly; when I select the "Folder" option for music thanks to my naming format it just gives me a list of artists on the drive. I then select the artist and get a list of albums by that artist .....
I love it, much easier than CDs and by definition gives me a much larger choice of music.
Let's hope the Clio system will be equally easy and impressive.
Offline eccentric1  
#12 Posted : 29 November 2016 17:24:04(UTC)
eccentric1

Having collected the car today I finally got to test this and yes, it's every bit as easy to use as the system(s) in the S-Class & Maybach.

I select by folder and get a list of all artists on my flash drive and when I select one a further list of all their albums I've stored.

The Bose system sounds truly great too :-)
In fact I find it sounds better than the mega-expensive system in the S-Class.
Offline PeteTH  
#13 Posted : 30 November 2016 00:23:20(UTC)
PeteTH

Thanks for starting this topic; have found the posts useful.
Offline eccentric1  
#14 Posted : 04 December 2016 14:44:03(UTC)
eccentric1

Just one thing I'm finding with this USB connection is that it doesn't automatically recognise the stick if I leave it plugged in overnight.
When I come back to the car and start it I have to take the stick out of the USB socket and plug it back in for it to be recognised, unlike the BMW & Mercedes systems which automatically re-detect it.
No great problem just a 1-2 second job each time I come back to the car.
Offline GTR1400MAN  
#15 Posted : 04 December 2016 14:53:04(UTC)
GTR1400MAN

Originally Posted by: eccentric1 Go to Quoted Post
Just one thing I'm finding with this USB connection is that it doesn't automatically recognise the stick if I leave it plugged in overnight.

Strange. My R-Link just continues playing from where it left off. I am however playing using tags, so Artist, Album etc. not folder. I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference though.

How do you know it isn't recognised. Ignore the message that sometimes pops up at boot up time saying No USB media found. A few seconds later it will spring into life. Do't forget R-Link is Android and has to boot. It;s a bit like when your phone starts up and can't see the SD card until it finishes booting and loading the drivers.

Edited by user 04 December 2016 14:54:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline eccentric1  
#16 Posted : 04 December 2016 15:32:55(UTC)
eccentric1

Hmmm strange. I think I've given it enough time but will try longer next time.
Basically I select the Media option and the USB option is greyed out, it can't be selected but if I then just unplug the flash drive and stick it back in I get the message that it's recognised and can be selected.
Offline ssimon  
#17 Posted : 04 December 2016 16:53:48(UTC)
ssimon

When I had a similar problem, I had to do a factory reset, which solved the problem. You'll have to re-enter all your satnav locations etc., though.
Offline eccentric1  
#18 Posted : 06 December 2016 02:36:51(UTC)
eccentric1

I guess now would be a good time to do that as I haven't saved any locations yet and I think the only thing I changed was the language, to English.
As an aside the Germans have a very strange concept that I still can't wrap my head around, it's a direction called "half right". How the hell can you turn half right? It's either straight on, left or right isn't it?
Basically we'd say bear right (or left) but sadly the English version on all German satnavs use the literal translation "turn half right".
Offline eccentric1  
#19 Posted : 19 May 2017 12:04:01(UTC)
eccentric1

Just giving an update here as things have changed:

I bought two identical SanDisk 64gb mini flash drives as mentioned earlier and copied around 170 CDs to each of them with the intention of using one in my business car and the other in the Clio.
As previously reported the system in the Clio seemed to forget about the drive or just not recognise it if I left the car for some time, like overnight in the garage. Upon restarting I had to pull the drive out and back in again then it was recognised.

I'm in the process of changing jobs which means no business car now so I brought that drive into the house and decided to add the rest of my CDs giving me a new total of between 250-300 on there now and using about 40gb of the drive.

Anyway, I switched the original one I used in the Clio for the second and since then the problem hasn't manifested again.
I now have a flash drive of music which is immediately recognised by the car no matter how long it's been parked ..... like up to 2-3 days. This wouldn't have been recognised with the other drive.

I never did any resets on the car / navi and didn't reformat the flash drive so I can only assume the fault lies with the original flash drive, even though the music plays without error when it's recognised.