Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fastdave  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2016 13:26:06(UTC)
fastdave

Nico Rosberg has just announced his decision to retire from F1.

That'll open the door to all sorts of possibilities for next years championship.

With all the grid already set for next year it will make Mercedes job of finding a good driver difficult unless they are willing to buy out someones contract.
Offline RED21  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2016 13:44:34(UTC)
RED21

JB to come out of retirement,

That could be the next headline, but in reality it most likely to be Pascal Wehrlein.
Offline fastdave  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2016 13:59:28(UTC)
fastdave

Also no need for any sanctions against Lewis for his disregarding team orders.
Offline eccentric1  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2016 13:59:47(UTC)
eccentric1

Is it April 1st?
No, OK I had to look at the BBC website and it seems to be true.

Seems a strange decision to me but I'm sure he has his reason(s) even if only to prevent himself losing it back to Hamilton or someone else next year.
Offline foxspeed  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2016 14:10:33(UTC)
foxspeed

bigger shock than winning the f1 wc me thinks!!!!

must have totally bottled knowing have to go up against lewis in a new car Tongue
Offline Georgeski  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2016 14:52:35(UTC)
Georgeski

Or just happy to retire like Casey Stoner, a multi-millionaire at the top of his game.
Offline Georgeski  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2016 14:52:35(UTC)
Georgeski

Or just happy to retire like Casey Stoner, a multi-millionaire at the top of his game.
Offline Marc_250  
#8 Posted : 02 December 2016 15:15:33(UTC)
Marc_250

Fair play to the guy. I hope whoever replaces him can give Lewis a run for his money IF Merc is dominant again next year.
Offline MikeWDY  
#9 Posted : 02 December 2016 19:50:12(UTC)
MikeWDY

If merc don't take Wehlein then I can see it being Bottas. Maybe Alonso but then that causes issues with replacing them. If alonso does go, who else other than JB do they get. Likewise could we see Massa stay on if bottas goes?
Offline Marc_250  
#10 Posted : 02 December 2016 19:59:08(UTC)
Marc_250

I think Bottas.

I'd love to see Vettel or Alonso though.

Just looking at the top rated comments on the dailyfail the abuse Rosberg is getting is surprising. Claims of rigged championship (i.e. the Merc engine issues for Lewis) and bottled it/didn't have guts to go up against Hamilton again etc.

Such garbage really cheeses me of, it's as bad as the retards with the fake moon landing and flat earth crap.
Offline g7egt  
#11 Posted : 02 December 2016 21:27:06(UTC)
g7egt

Fair play to him, he rode his luck and is a champion, have more respect for him now. If I had £35m and achieved something like that then why not enjoy your life. He was quick but not quite up there with the best but he is a World Champion, enjoy.
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:23:17(UTC) Roblynn1977  
#12 Posted : 02 December 2016 22:16:00(UTC)
Roblynn1977

Luckiest man alive the car made him look much better than he actually was. He is not even in the top 5 best drivers on the grid. Hope Vetal gets the Merc seat
Offline RED21  
#13 Posted : 02 December 2016 22:31:43(UTC)
RED21

Paul DiResta is contracted Merc driver & is a "free" agent
Offline Georgeski  
#14 Posted : 03 December 2016 07:58:10(UTC)
Georgeski

I personally don't believe that anyone at that level in sport is lucky - it takes an tremendous amount of talent and dedication to win the world title. He's worked very hard for the last 25 years.
Offline Marc_250  
#15 Posted : 03 December 2016 11:54:45(UTC)
Marc_250

A nicely written article from one of the longest serving F1 journos.

https://joesaward.wordpr.../03/on-nicos-retirement/
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:23:17(UTC) Roblynn1977  
#16 Posted : 03 December 2016 11:56:54(UTC)
Roblynn1977

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
I personally don't believe that anyone at that level in sport is lucky - it takes an tremendous amount of talent and dedication to win the world title. He's worked very hard for the last 25 years.

Am not saying he hasn't worked hard but in terms of a skilled driver I think he is behind Hamilton, Vetal, Ricardo, Max, Alonso and Kimi. Any of those could have won a championship in that Merc. Hence why I think he has been lucky
Offline petercronin  
#17 Posted : 03 December 2016 12:10:04(UTC)
petercronin

Originally Posted by: Roblynn1977 Go to Quoted Post

Am not saying he hasn't worked hard but in terms of a skilled driver I think he is behind Hamilton, Vetal, Ricardo, Max, Alonso and Kimi. Any of those could have won a championship in that Merc. Hence why I think he has been lucky

I think my 3 year old child could have won in that merc LOL. But in all fairness he's done well to win and you can't say he isn't a good driver but as you say he certinly isn't the best in the current line up.

I don't particularly like him (or to a lesser extent Hamilton for that matter) but I've got respect for what he's achieved and can't blame him for wanting to go out on a high. I think in his situation it's what I'd do. Just look at Button/Alonso/Raikkonen/Vettel, all good drivers and former champs who've pretty much just been there for the last few years to make up the numbers.
Offline Georgeski  
#18 Posted : 03 December 2016 12:42:49(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
A nicely written article from one of the longest serving F1 journos.

https://joesaward.wordpr.../03/on-nicos-retirement/

Yes, great article Marc. Thanks for the link.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#19 Posted : 03 December 2016 14:37:23(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

But he beat Hamilton
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#20 Posted : 03 December 2016 17:26:56(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: Buffalo Girls Go to Quoted Post

But he beat Hamilton

Agree 100% you cannot do any better than beat the competition that is put in front of you.

I say good luck to Rosberg and imo it is a very wise and considered action retiring whilst on top.
Offline AndyC77  
#21 Posted : 04 December 2016 09:04:37(UTC)
AndyC77

Nothing wrong with getting out on top...very few do. Was never a driver who caught the imagination but was functional and clinical when he needed to be. Maybe he senses Merc may not be so dominant next year with the new regs. Let's hope that is the case. Bet Renault are glad they snapped up Hulkenberg as I could see him slotting in with Lewis at Merc.
Offline MikeWDY  
#22 Posted : 10 January 2017 13:34:41(UTC)
MikeWDY

Originally Posted by: MikeWDY Go to Quoted Post
If merc don't take Wehlein then I can see it being Bottas. Maybe Alonso but then that causes issues with replacing them. If alonso does go, who else other than JB do they get. Likewise could we see Massa stay on if bottas goes?

I'll just leave my past comment here. 😉
Offline fastdave  
#23 Posted : 10 January 2017 16:41:44(UTC)
fastdave

I'll just leave my past comment here. 😉

I'd wait for the official announcement if I were you.Tongue

Paddy Lowe now looks to be heading to Williams so that might make things a bit more interesting.

Offline MikeWDY  
#24 Posted : 15 January 2017 21:19:02(UTC)
MikeWDY

Offline fastdave  
#25 Posted : 16 January 2017 23:58:48(UTC)
fastdave

...he said smugly.

I saw Lance Stroll at the Autosport show and he appears to be a very grounded person.