Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Clioconvert  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2017 21:27:51(UTC)
Clioconvert

Well I picked up my Clio RS 220 Trophy on Monday and drove it about 150 miles home, I have then been in it as much as possible since. Well the gearbox negativity you read in the press is just crap, it really is. I love the car and the fact that I can drive it lazily in just auto or I then have the options of manually intercepting it at any time, then I can choose sport mode which still gives two choices - auto again but frisky changes with blips on downshifts or manual with the paddles then I have race mode too. Are these motoring journalists mad? I think they are looking at the car from a "glass half empty" perspective rather than see the benefits this EDC box gives the driver. The car is comfortable, luxurious (mine has leather, heated seats, climate etc etc) and handles like a go cart, this really is an underestimated and an under reviewed car. It has a reasonable size boot and 5 doors, I could go on and on and people reading this may have the same car so you know yourselves how good it is. I love it.

Negatives I have are minor, the ride is a little hard/choppy on bumpy roads but that is the trade off for its superb handling and grip, the gearbox takes a little practice to get it at its best, stabbing the accelerator does not give rewards in auto modes but it just takes a different approach - quickly squeezing rather than stabbing the pedal when you want to go quicker. I have found that more of a half throttle position and squeezed gives great acceleration.

I think to fully understand the car and it's gearbox a reviewer needs a few hundred miles to get the best from it.

I have removed the Trophy sticker from my front bumper, in my opinion it's a cheap sticker that spoils it, its gone now and looks better without it. I think a Chrome grill badge would have been better. I want to get a bit more noise from the exhaust so i am going to address that soon but apart from that I am really happy with the car.

Edited by user 12 January 2017 08:02:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline X98 Trophy  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2017 08:01:10(UTC)
X98 Trophy

Great! Enjoy!! It is indeed a brilliant machine ;)
Offline sunnylunn  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2017 13:38:57(UTC)
sunnylunn

oh dear, don't you ever get bored?
Offline scoobyr  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2017 14:53:26(UTC)
scoobyr

I've currently got a 220 trophy to try for a couple of days and I have to say i think it's a fantastic little car! Admittedly I have limited experience of paddle shifts but in Sport and Race mode it shifts pretty bloody quickly I'd say, been having a lot of fun and leaving it in manual mostly. Absolutely loving the noise from the Akrapovic exhaust as well and the noise it makes on the up and down shifts, great fun.

Not about to change my 275 Cup-S for one, but having driven one for a couple of days I am really impressed with it, well screwed together as well and the LED lights are absolutely fantastic compared to the Megane's headlights.
Offline Familyman  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2017 19:23:22(UTC)
Familyman

They are great cars...enjoy
David
Offline titian  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2017 19:54:43(UTC)
titian

You will love it, no more manual gearboxes for me.
Offline sunnylunn  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2017 07:50:11(UTC)
sunnylunn

Ive got to echo the Op's comments, its an underrated car, plenty quick enough, mine seems really well screwed together, gearbox is brilliant, cabin is a really nice place to sit, sounds the nuts with the Akra, just goes to prove you need to get out and drive one regardless of the less than brilliant write ups and the constant slagging from a few berks on here that don't have a car let alone a Renault 🤓
Offline ianplymouth  
#8 Posted : 13 January 2017 09:04:09(UTC)
ianplymouth

I managed to get a drive at Bedford Renault day last year, very impressed, there is a Liquid yellow one in Plymouth and it looks the mutts nuts, the only colour to have imo, but £20k plus options
Offline jeffreypeterwest  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2017 13:09:40(UTC)
jeffreypeterwest

Motoring journalists have a sense of personal pride - they don't want the car to change gear for them because they are professionals. Back to back like-for-like auto comparison tests might have some validity on the gearbox discussion, but often the Clio is compared to manuals. Likewise a long term test, where the journalist runs the vehicle for a length of time, and drives it as a genuine owner would, day to day all types of journey and circumstances, then we could read more into those comments. Yes, check out opinions but don't be afraid to make up your own mind on choices which are as fundamental as auto/manual. Either you get the advantages or not. I personally wouldn't go back to getting up to walk over to the TV to switch channels.
Offline eccentric1  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2017 14:35:11(UTC)
eccentric1

As I've said elsewhere I love mine too, even though I'm still running it in so haven't opened it up yet in sport or race modes.

I was initially apprehensive about the gearbox until I took one for a test drive and was immediately hooked. I reckon it's the gearbox I've waited all my life for.
Offline Clioconvert  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2017 15:57:13(UTC)
Clioconvert

"personally wouldn't go back to getting up to walk over to the TV to switch channels"

Point well made, it's progress. Looking at more luxurious / exotic cars it's no coincidence that the faster the car, the more advanced the car is the more likely it is to have an auto box and normally of the flappy paddle variety (Porsche, Ferrari, Mclaren, etc etc all have flappy paddle auto boxes) our little Clios are not in that league I know but the stuff like this just filters down to all cars eventually.

Edited by user 13 January 2017 15:58:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Marc_250  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2017 16:15:19(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: Clioconvert Go to Quoted Post
"personally wouldn't go back to getting up to walk over to the TV to switch channels"

Point well made, it's progress.

Well not really it's a poor analogy.

I'm not saying auto boxes are bad but I am saying their is room for both and they suit different people better or worse.

I mean for those that see driving as a chore and don't enjoy interacting/driving their car the self drive google things are in development which will take auto boxes etc to another level.
Offline Dave220  
#13 Posted : 13 January 2017 18:05:32(UTC)
Dave220

I have one and I absolutely love it! The only downside is that it's frost white and in this weather it's filthy dirty most of the time
Offline jeffreypeterwest  
#14 Posted : 13 January 2017 18:15:59(UTC)
jeffreypeterwest

If I saw driving as a chore I wouldn't chose a vehicle with the performance or handling of a renaultsport. Or with the ability to manually change with the paddles or the stick, in a choice of driving modes. The point I was making was why road testers criticise the current Clio RS, which was the original question. Many motoring journalists will resist many technological advances on principle, auto boxes, stability control, anything that interferes with their opportunity to display their expertise - when reviewing performance cars mostly. If a customer doesn't look to regularly do track days then these developments make more sense if investing in a car. I really enjoy driving the households other car - an MX-5, but for me there is enough time behind the wheel to enjoy the auto option in confiscation with a fun drive. The two are not mutually exclusive. If Renault can offer a manual option and make a profit then I'm all for that too - but keep developing and offering the EDC please!
Offline Marc_250  
#15 Posted : 13 January 2017 18:24:49(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: jeffreypeterwest Go to Quoted Post
Many motoring journalists will resist many technological advances on principle, auto boxes, stability control, anything that interferes with their opportunity to display their expertise - when reviewing performance cars mostly.

You sure they aren't resisting it because they find the alternative more fun?
Offline Clioconvert  
#16 Posted : 13 January 2017 18:31:41(UTC)
Clioconvert

Marc_250 your car ...... is it a manual by any Chance? ....... :)
Offline PeteTH  
#17 Posted : 13 January 2017 18:32:47(UTC)
PeteTH

Well I picked up my Clio RS 220 Trophy on Monday and drove it about 150 miles home, I have then been in it as much as possible since. Well the gearbox negativity you read in the press is just crap, it really is. I love the car and the fact that I can drive it lazily in just auto or I then have the options of manually intercepting it at any time, then I can choose sport mode which still gives two choices - auto again but frisky changes with blips on downshifts or manual with the paddles then I have race mode too. Are these motoring journalists mad? I think they are looking at the car from a "glass half empty" perspective rather than see the benefits this EDC box gives the driver. The car is comfortable, luxurious (mine has leather, heated seats, climate etc etc) and handles like a go cart, this really is an underestimated and an under reviewed car. It has a reasonable size boot and 5 doors, I could go on and on and people reading this may have the same car so you know yourselves how good it is. I love it.

Negatives I have are minor, the ride is a little hard/choppy on bumpy roads but that is the trade off for its superb handling and grip, the gearbox takes a little practice to get it at its best, stabbing the accelerator does not give rewards in auto modes but it just takes a different approach - quickly squeezing rather than stabbing the pedal when you want to go quicker. I have found that more of a half throttle position and squeezed gives great acceleration.

I think to fully understand the car and it's gearbox a reviewer needs a few hundred miles to get the best from it.

I have removed the Trophy sticker from my front bumper, in my opinion it's a cheap sticker that spoils it, its gone now and looks better without it. I think a Chrome grill badge would have been better.

Got my new Clio RS220 Trophy (Black) last Friday. Previously had a Clio RS200 Mk3 for 4 years. Initially a bit apprehensive about going for a manual/auto box having not liked my parents auto, but did a couple of test drives and was won over. Done only 200 miles so far, but really like it; used mainly auto mode, but perhaps will use manual paddles when in town speed limit areas so that I am more thoughtful about keeping below 30mph speed limit! Really impressed with the seriously upgraded level of spec, and this would be one of my top reasons to recommend the car: I have the optional heated leather seats [super comfy with nice red stitching], Bose audio [brill sound quality], Akropovic, black carpet mats with red trim, Gen-3 glasscoat protection [which from my previous experience really keeps the bodywork shining well after a simple shampoo wash] - but there are other classy standard items worthy of note: clever, useful and intuitive door mirrors that auto or manual fold-in; red seat belts; thoughtful remote locking system that auto locks car after you leave it without you doing anything, and opening doors without having to fiddle for remote in coat pocket just by touching door handle knob - or you can remotely lock and use the fob to make the lights stay on for 30secs, etc to guide your path; LED lights are powerful and stylish; electrochrome rear view mirror [so natural to reduce glare]; front and rear parking sensors take some getting used to, but I am now beginning to get the feel for their help when I drive into my narrow garage entrance; the reverse parking camera with its' colour coding display and sound seems very reliable and accurate for the amount of space you want to leave at back of car; and I am already finding having 5 doors is really useful.
Interestingly, there is no Clio label/badge on exterior at all - just Renaultsport and RS badges on boot and RS badge on front, and Trophy plastic badge on each lower door panel.
And, I totally id with this para:"Negatives I have are minor, the ride is a little hard/choppy on bumpy roads but that is the trade off for its superb handling and grip, the gearbox takes a little practice to get it at its best, stabbing the accelerator does not give rewards in auto modes but it just takes a different approach - quickly squeezing rather than stabbing the pedal when you want to go quicker. I have found that more of a half throttle position and squeezed gives great acceleration."

Great drive, great car to enjoySmile

Offline Marc_250  
#18 Posted : 13 January 2017 18:45:28(UTC)
Marc_250

It is but I certainly don't want to detract from what DSG can offer just putting a different spin on things. One thing that can't be denied about DSG is it offers more performance/faster shifts than a manual ever could.

Clearly I'm biased towards manual in terms of 'enjoyment' and 'involvement'. Does an auto provide more easier to live with options etc, I would guess so.
Offline Clioconvert  
#19 Posted : 13 January 2017 18:48:07(UTC)
Clioconvert

I had two EP3 civic type r's back in 2004 to 2006 and this Clios handling, steering and grip reminds me of those only I now have the great handling go cart but with lots more luxury and of course the gear box. I am still learning all of its features as the R-link stuff is so vast, a lot is gimmicky stuff but still intriguing, I like the fact I can see the oil, clutch and gearbox temperature very useful when warming the car up in the morning. I am just loving the car full stop.
Offline Womble  
#20 Posted : 13 January 2017 19:57:32(UTC)
Womble

Or just being realistic and adjusting to modern times, sometimes you have to move on and not live in the past, most performance cars are now coming with flappy paddle semi auto boxes, I too once said you will never catch me with an auto, now, it's a bit like air conditioning, I can't do without, I hate fumbling around in my wife's car for the gear stick, deciding do I want 2nd no it should of been 3rd where now it is just a flick of the paddle with both hands still on the wheel while attacking your favourite bit of road in pure harmony.

Hopefully the lovers are starting to convert the haters and Renaultsport sales will start to climb and out sell the previous generation of Clio's
Offline FramerateUK  
#21 Posted : 13 January 2017 20:20:49(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post

It is but I certainly don't want to detract from what DSG can offer just putting a different spin on things. One thing that can't be denied about DSG is it offers more performance/faster shifts than a manual ever could.

Clearly I'm biased towards manual in terms of 'enjoyment' and 'involvement'. Does an auto provide more easier to live with options etc, I would guess so.

I would certainly agree that a manual is more fun, it makes you feel more connected to the car. When I'm on a mountain road, while I do enjoy using the paddles in manual, I do miss having full control.

That said, the auto more than makes up for it as a daily driver. I *think* I'd buy an auto as my next car, but it's hard to say only 1 year into ownership.
Offline del115  
#22 Posted : 13 January 2017 20:21:06(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: Womble Go to Quoted Post
Hopefully the lovers are starting to convert the haters and Renaultsport sales will start to climb and out sell the previous generation of Clio's

According to the Renault figures being quoted a while back this is already the case - especially in mainland Europe.

Even on here the numbers of people announcing their proud ownership of a flappy Clio, especially the Trophy, is better than at any time I can recall during the MkIII 200 era.

OK money is a lot cheaper now and PCP rules but with so much choice out there it is quite encouraging.

I'm hoping a lot will be attending this years track days where the car comes into its own IMHO.

Offline Familyman  
#23 Posted : 13 January 2017 21:35:56(UTC)
Familyman

I had two EP3 civic type r's back in 2004 to 2006 and this Clios handling, steering and grip reminds me of those only I now have the great handling go cart but with lots more luxury and of course the gear box. I am still learning all of its features as the R-link stuff is so vast, a lot is gimmicky stuff but still intriguing, I like the fact I can see the oil, clutch and gearbox temperature very useful when warming the car up in the morning. I am just loving the car full stop.

I recently sold my ep3, quite liked the car, engine was awesome but through the corners it was pretty poor imo, mine was a 55 reg prem with only 40k miles, so its not like it was worn out but it didn't stay flat through the corners and understeer was appauling, especially if vtec came in mid bend.
Honestly The Trophy is in another league imo.
David
Offline Clioconvert  
#24 Posted : 14 January 2017 08:54:09(UTC)
Clioconvert

My EP3's were both new and they both were mostly driven in the summer months so grip would have been at it's best, I suppose with older tyres and 40 odd thousand miles on the suspension things are not going to be as tight (from a handling perspective) as new.
Offline RSaddict  
#25 Posted : 14 January 2017 09:08:10(UTC)
RSaddict

Put it in race mode on your mountain road, you'll have 'full' control then. No gear shifting unless you decide to!