Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2017 00:27:41(UTC)
MrVix

Picked up the Abarth 595C Competizione earlier this week and we absolutely love it, the GF has not used her TTS since picking it up. I think the suspension is made of rock and it is not the last word in refinement but it has a character all of its own. Thanks to Danny for his helpful pointers and advice when we initially placed the order, cheers DannyBig Smile

Went into BMW on Tuesday to have a browse whilst killing some time whilst the GF went shopping and ended up purchasing the showroom 640d GC, they knocked £22k off the list price and gave me £5k more than anyone else has offered on the F Type. Picked the old girl up yesterday, it is an old waft mobile but will be ideal for carting the GFs aged parents around and all whilst currently averaging 39mpgBig Smile

All in all a hectic car week, just glad to get rid of the Jag, royally had my pants down with that oneLOL
Offline eccentric1  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2017 05:42:10(UTC)
eccentric1

I'd be interested to hear just what your problems were with the F Type?
It looks a great car, but obviously has some problems to hear you speak.

I was looking at the 595 Comp. last year in the search for my new car. I firstly test drove the (up to) 2016 model which I had a few issues with, mainly regarding controls. Then I managed to get a test on the new 2017 model which was greatly improved in that respect, but I was surprised at the general road and wind noise coming in when all was fully closed (doors, windows ..). Whether this was a one car fault I don't know, but it gave me questions about build quality or consistency as the previous 2016 version had been much better in that respect.
I also decided that it would be just a bit too small for me when it would be my only car.

Having said all this, the fun factor was a massive 5*
Offline Georgeski  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2017 08:59:35(UTC)
Georgeski

Nice, the 640 is meant to be a decent car - I'm not a fan of diesels, but a friend at work has the same car and loves it. Certainly sounds as though the dealer wanted to do a deal with the discount offered and the trade in oprice for your F-Type.

The 595 definitely has character and it sounds great, I wasn't a huge fan of the gearbox but it was certainly adequate.

Edited by user 04 June 2017 09:01:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:23:17(UTC) Roblynn1977  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2017 10:07:33(UTC)
Roblynn1977

Are we ever going to see pictures of these cars?

Edited by user 04 June 2017 16:06:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sunnylunn  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2017 13:28:54(UTC)
sunnylunn

LOL LOL
Originally Posted by: Roblynn1977 Go to Quoted Post
Are we very going to see pictures of these cars?

#6 Posted : 04 June 2017 14:44:44(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: eccentric1 Go to Quoted Post

I was looking at the 595 Comp. last year in the search for my new car. I firstly test drove the (up to) 2016 model which I had a few issues with, mainly regarding controls. Then I managed to get a test on the new 2017 model which was greatly improved in that respect, but I was surprised at the general road and wind noise coming in when all was fully closed (doors, windows ..). Whether this was a one car fault I don't know, but it gave me questions about build quality or consistency as the previous 2016 version had been much better in that respect.
I also decided that it would be just a bit too small for me when it would be my only car.

Hi Eccentric.

The F type is a good car but I did not gel with it. The noise is immense, the interior is cheap looking, it did not have 85 grands worth of feel good factor and the depreciation is savage. IMO it is a £70K car new and not a penny more.

The 595 is on the face of it a load of old crap but I think the fact it is immensely flawed is part of its charm. We bought it to transport the dogs about and I am sure we will keep it for a few years.
#7 Posted : 04 June 2017 14:50:08(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
Nice, the 640 is meant to be a decent car - I'm not a fan of diesels, but a friend at work has the same car and loves it. Certainly sounds as though the dealer wanted to do a deal with the discount offered and the trade in oprice for your F-Type.

The 595 definitely has character and it sounds great, I wasn't a huge fan of the gearbox but it was certainly adequate.

The 640 is what it is GeorgskiSad The GFs father has just been diagnosed with bowel cancer and her mum has just had a hip replacement. Sometimes you just need to do the right thing.

Having said that it is quite a change to waft around in luxury, not my type of car admittedly but it is serving a purpose at the moment and has got me out of the F type at a reduced premium.
Offline eccentric1  
#8 Posted : 04 June 2017 14:56:39(UTC)
eccentric1

Thanks for the reply.
I guess I'm a little surprised about the Jag build quality, but then I know it's far too expensive and if fools are willing to pay that much ......... Personally I might say €70K not GBP.
I see loads of them around Munich, they seem to be one of the 'cars of the moment'.

I'm sure you'll love the fun factor of the 595, in fact just thinking of my two test drives still puts that smile back on my face. Sadly in the end I decided I just couldn't live with one long term for reasons already stated.

A friend of mine drives a '6', he's a (young) ex-colleague and the car's his father's, not sure if it's a 640 or 650 but it's certainly a nice motor and he manages to get the best out of it in Northern Italy where he lives.

Have fun and enjoy.
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:23:17(UTC) Roblynn1977  
#9 Posted : 04 June 2017 17:14:10(UTC)
Roblynn1977

What's happened to the mustang? I take it we are not getting any pictures then?
Offline roystinho  
#10 Posted : 04 June 2017 18:08:22(UTC)
roystinho

Nice selection. TBH I'm struggling what else to have instead of the Abarth at that price point. It's really good fun, maybe not then RS poise at 10/10ths, but for general driving around a hooning it's a right laugh
#11 Posted : 04 June 2017 18:22:04(UTC)
MrVix

Danny I have tried to upload some photos but I am having difficulties. For those that don't know what a 640d GC and abarth look like is it possible for you to pm me your email and I will do my best to forward some over to you which you may have better luck in posting.

The Mustang order was cancelled over a month ago when I realised I was struggling to get rid of the Jag. FYI BMW offered me approx. £5k more for the Jag than Ford did.

Edited by user 04 June 2017 18:23:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Kirsty172  
#12 Posted : 04 June 2017 18:36:10(UTC)
Kirsty172

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post

Hi Eccentric.

The F type is a good car but I did not gel with it. The noise is immense, the interior is cheap looking, it did not have 85 grands worth of feel good factor and the depreciation is savage. IMO it is a £70K car new and not a penny more.

The 595 is on the face of it a load of old crap but I think the fact it is immensely flawed is part of its charm. We bought it to transport the dogs about and I am sure we will keep it for a few years.

i was offered a pre reg 150 mile V8 R coupe last week for just over 60....
#13 Posted : 04 June 2017 18:48:34(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post

Hi Eccentric.

i was offered a pre reg 150 mile V8 R coupe last week for just over 60....

I wish I had Kirsty, at that sort of money it represents good value. If I knew you were in the market you could have had mine.
Offline Marc_250  
#14 Posted : 04 June 2017 18:55:38(UTC)
Marc_250

Nice...but clearly the depreciation on the jag has irk'd you somewhat....I don't see how buying a brand new 6 series bm is gonna help that and who knows what policy's diesels will have to deal with over the next few years..
Offline Marc_250  
#15 Posted : 04 June 2017 19:05:58(UTC)
Marc_250

Did love the 6 series though when I was kid not really noticed/thought about them much these days

Loved the looks of these things

UserPostedImage
#16 Posted : 04 June 2017 19:08:58(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Nice...but clearly the depreciation on the jag has irk'd you somewhat....I don't see how buying a brand new 6 series bm is gonna help that and who knows what policy's diesels will have to deal with over the next few years..

Believe me Marc the depreciation on a £51K car is far easier to stomach than the massive hit I have just taken on the Jag.

I would not have chosen the 6 series if I was in a different position but it has and will serve a purpose. Worst days work I did buying the Jag since buying a new Range Rover several years ago which also royally greased me up.

Please don't let it put anyone off getting an F Type, it is a cracking car but as Kirsty says make sure you either buy used or get at least a £20k discount off a new one which was not available 17 months ago when I purchased.

Far worse things going on in the world at present and I am not going to dwell on it too long.
Offline Penn  
#17 Posted : 04 June 2017 19:21:42(UTC)
Penn

The 640d GC has always appealed to me as an immensely capable family car, great choice!
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#18 Posted : 04 June 2017 19:31:45(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

I'd like to see pictures of it, never seen one in the metal
Offline Georgeski  
#19 Posted : 04 June 2017 19:45:04(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Did love the 6 series though when I was kid not really noticed/thought about them much these days

Loved the looks of these things

UserPostedImage

They still look great, that one is a beauty. I think it was the first M car.
Offline eccentric1  
#20 Posted : 04 June 2017 21:49:01(UTC)
eccentric1

Mr. V.
If you want to mail me your pictures I can put them online here for you.
#21 Posted : 04 June 2017 22:33:54(UTC)
MrVix

Thanks Eccentric that is kind of you. If you pm me your email address I will do my best to get them to you. I am a bit of a dinosaur with computers etc.
Offline eccentric1  
#22 Posted : 05 June 2017 09:29:28(UTC)
eccentric1

As Mr. Vix is a self-proclaimed computerly-challenged type of chap I've been able to help a little and here are four pictures he's forwarded to me for inclusion here on the forum.
I'll leave him to add any comments in a following post later.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline roystinho  
#23 Posted : 05 June 2017 09:55:01(UTC)
roystinho

Great colour on the Abarth ;)
Offline roystinho  
#24 Posted : 05 June 2017 09:55:38(UTC)
roystinho

And sorry, been away all weekend so missed the email request, I see you've sorted it
Offline Georgeski  
#25 Posted : 05 June 2017 11:27:23(UTC)
Georgeski

There must have been a face-lift to the 6 series recently, it's a decent looking car - looks very much like a stretched E92 330i coupe. The Elise looks good in racing blue too.