Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Marc_250  
#1 Posted : 19 August 2017 17:01:01(UTC)
Marc_250

The pace of that RS3 they really fly. Must be Ferrari 430 fast now and with dare I say a 'map' mid 3.5 to 60?
Offline Georgeski  
#2 Posted : 19 August 2017 19:00:50(UTC)
Georgeski

M140i - glaring omission!
Offline Penn  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2017 07:28:26(UTC)
Penn

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post

Yes indeed, thought that when I was watching it this morning.

Quite amazing how lacklustre the performance of a manual Golf R is though.
Offline jamesev  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2017 07:58:50(UTC)
jamesev

Would also be good to put the relative prices of these actual cars (and not the absolute bottom price). It looks like the RS3 is about £43k and the civic £32k. Which realistically isn't really comparable at a 34% price difference.

Edited by user 20 August 2017 08:03:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Buffalo Girls  
#5 Posted : 20 August 2017 08:40:04(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Never let facts get in the way of a good story
Offline jamesev  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2017 09:05:58(UTC)
jamesev

Originally Posted by: Buffalo Girls Go to Quoted Post
Never let facts get in the way of a good story

True, however isn't a £30k and £40k car different target markets especially with the new uk duty rules on cars over 40k, the new five-year supplement to pay for cars costing more than £40,000, Priced at £310 per year and starts in the second year of registration, so that's an extra £1500 on top. Or are these not meant to be real world things for the makers of the video

Edited by user 20 August 2017 09:08:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Marc_250  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2017 10:12:37(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: jamesev Go to Quoted Post
the new five-year supplement to pay for cars costing more than £40,000, Priced at £310 per year and starts in the second year of registration, so that's an extra £1500 on top

I hadn't really picked up on that, even the save the planet cars don't get away with it...
Offline Georgeski  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2017 10:19:03(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Penn Go to Quoted Post

Yes indeed, thought that when I was watching it this morning.

Quite amazing how lacklustre the performance of a manual Golf R is though.

Haha, yes relatively speaking, still a fast car though. Good for the price, but doesn't really excite me to be fair.
Offline jamesev  
#9 Posted : 20 August 2017 11:50:53(UTC)
jamesev

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jamesev Go to Quoted Post
the new five-year supplement to pay for cars costing more than £40,000, Priced at £310 per year and starts in the second year of registration, so that's an extra £1500 on top

I hadn't really picked up on that, even the save the planet cars don't get away with it...

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
You have to pay an extra £310 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

So yes teslas too
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#10 Posted : 20 August 2017 14:22:25(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Jamesev- I was agreeing with you. I would hope that someone paying 34% more than the RS3 would also get a significantly faster car again. It's all relative.
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:23:17(UTC) Roblynn1977  
#11 Posted : 20 August 2017 17:52:00(UTC)
Roblynn1977

Dull totally irrelevant video how fast each car goes in a straight line on a perfectly smooth run way proves nothing and gives no indication as to what that are like to use real world
Offline Marc_250  
#12 Posted : 20 August 2017 18:16:26(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: Roblynn1977 Go to Quoted Post
Dull totally irrelevant video how fast each car goes in a straight line on a perfectly smooth runway proves nothing and gives no indication as to what that are like to use real world

Err it was just a 'drag race', I don't think it was pitched as car buying advice. Appreciate the RS3 is in a different price category but most people (here at least) probably know roughly straight of the bat what ball park prices are so it's not exactly pulling the wool over anyone's eyes!
Offline foxspeed  
#13 Posted : 20 August 2017 19:48:47(UTC)
foxspeed

Dull totally irrelevant video how fast each car goes in a straight line on a perfectly smooth run way proves nothing and gives no indication as to what that are like to use real world

no your missing the point of it...

the most expensive car... with the biggest... & most powerfullest engine... wins Tongue
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#14 Posted : 20 August 2017 20:04:34(UTC)
MrVix

I agree with others these drag races seem pointless, if you buy this type of car on acceleration figures only you are imo missing the point.

Surely driving dynamics are the bottom line and from experience I can tell you the A45 is inert and if the Golf R is similar to the TTS which I expect it is then that will be inert too.

If I had a choice out of that lot it would be the Type R I think.

I am with Geogeski, the M140i should have been included, it is a bit agricultural in its handling characteristics but at least it is fun, I can guarantee that RS3 will be as dull as ditch water to drive in the real world.
Offline Georgeski  
#15 Posted : 20 August 2017 20:21:35(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post
I agree with others these drag races seem pointless, if you buy this type of car on acceleration figures only you are imo missing the point.

Surely driving dynamics are the bottom line and from experience I can tell you the A45 is inert and if the Golf R is similar to the TTS which I expect it is then that will be inert too.

I am with Geogeski, the M140i should have been included, it is a bit agricultural in its handling characteristics but at least it is fun, I can guarantee that RS3 will be as dull as ditch water to drive in the real world.

The M140i has been sharpened up a bit over the M135i too, I'd have another in a heartbeat.
#16 Posted : 20 August 2017 22:07:47(UTC)
Roblynn1977

Dull totally irrelevant video how fast each car goes in a straight line on a perfectly smooth runway proves nothing and gives no indication as to what that are like to use real world

Err it was just a 'drag race', I don't think it was pitched as car buying advice. Appreciate the RS3 is in a different price category but most people (here at least) probably know roughly straight of the bat what ball park prices are so it's not exactly pulling the wool over anyone's eyes!

I no it was just a drag race but at least do a couple of laps somewhere and report back on handling and lap times which will be a lot more useful rather than a jolly Boys day out driving bing really fast in straight lines.
#17 Posted : 20 August 2017 22:10:39(UTC)
Roblynn1977

Originally Posted by: foxspeed Go to Quoted Post

no your missing the point of it...

the most expensive car... with the biggest... & most powerfullest engine... wins Tongue

So more money gets you a bigger more powerful engine which is the quickest in a straight line. Well the should have put a Bugatti in there then that would defo of won 😂😂
Offline roystinho  
#18 Posted : 20 August 2017 22:11:52(UTC)
roystinho

Isn't this latest RS3 a different beast the previous ones? Aluminium block to help weight up front, and I believe a far more 'trick' 4WD set up. Not that I've extensively searched...

Out of those I'd probably go for the Focus personally
#19 Posted : 20 August 2017 22:15:08(UTC)
Roblynn1977

The M140i has been sharpened up a bit over the M135i too, I'd have another in a heartbeat.

Yeah in other news the sky is blue, tomorrow is Monday, and the BMW will be mentioning in every thread 😂😂
Offline Marc_250  
#20 Posted : 20 August 2017 22:53:06(UTC)
Marc_250

I no it was just a drag race but at least do a couple of laps somewhere and report back on handling and lap times which will be a lot more useful rather than a jolly Boys day out driving bing really fast in straight lines.

Take the video for what it is described as. I'm sure they'd have liked to have lapped them and done a 1000 mile road trip etc but it's just a cheap youtube video. If you can sort out the more 'useful' lap times then go for it and post it up!
Offline eccentric1  
#21 Posted : 21 August 2017 04:11:06(UTC)
eccentric1

Again it's about power and straight line speed but I found this the other day:
https://www.topgear.com/...t-powerful-hot-hatches#1
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#22 Posted : 21 August 2017 08:32:11(UTC)
MrVix

I strongly suspect it will be last of its ilk too Georgeski.

Saw a blue M140i and it looks like they have done something to improve the looks or maybe it is just now they are becoming more familiar.

Great value car especially with the discounts availableBig Smile
Offline Georgeski  
#23 Posted : 21 August 2017 08:34:11(UTC)
Georgeski

I strongly suspect it will be last of its ilk too Georgeski.

Saw a blue M140i and it looks like they have done something to improve the looks or maybe it is just now they are becoming more familiar.

Great value car especially with the discounts availableBig Smile

Yep, there are some huge discounts available - cracking value for money.
Offline Georgeski  
#24 Posted : 21 August 2017 08:39:16(UTC)
Georgeski

Yeah in other news the sky is blue, tomorrow is Monday, and the BMW will be mentioning in every thread 😂😂

Who would've thought that in a thread about a hyper hatches, that one of the worlds largest car makers, one which produces a car in this segment and which would've been a good counterpoint to the single FWD car is mentioned......
Offline eccentric1  
#25 Posted : 21 August 2017 20:02:20(UTC)
eccentric1

Discounts on BMW?
Wow, you're living in a different world to me even though their home is here in Munich.

The attitude of BMW dealers here is more akin to "this is the list price, how much extra are you willing to pay for one?"