Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tanim  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2018 16:38:24(UTC)
Tanim

It happened just two days before the Christmas, I lost control in the corner at 20 - 25* MPH. By the time I regained control it was too little too late, I hit the kerb. Initially it looked just horribly scratched alloy, being in the dark. Soon as I started driving dashboard showed up "traction control" error. I knew the damage is much severe. She was taken to the local body-shop and found alloys, wheel bearing and axle needs replacing. I was hoping for the worst (damaged chassis and write-off), so it was a lucky escape. I'm getting it fixed by insurance which is most likely to go up next year but cannot see it up more than £1500 which is the cost of repair. It was a good expensive lesson learnt from my end, I was not even in sports mode and didn't even thrash it. My last car had 265 BHP with similar 0-60 figures but it was an AWD and I pushed it all the time for two long years without any single incident. I just thought I will share my story as roads have been icy and don't want anyone to go through sleepless night to find out the damage report.

Thanks,
Tanim

*cannot remember it.

Edited by user 02 January 2018 16:39:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Marc_250  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2018 20:02:29(UTC)
Marc_250

Bad luck although AWD isn't going to help much, if at all in icy conditions when it comes to going around corners or stopping..although that generally doesn't stop the 4x4 brigade from putting it to the test.

If you're on the stock Michelin Super Sports on the 220 they'll be the biggest reason for low grip in cold conditions, they're not bad if they have some temp in them but if you have just set off and both the tyres and roads are cold....be cautious.
Offline Tanim  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2018 22:29:24(UTC)
Tanim

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Bad luck although AWD isn't going to help much, if at all in icy conditions when it comes to going around corners or stopping..although that generally doesn't stop the 4x4 brigade from putting it to the test.

If you're on the stock Michelin Super Sports on the 220 they'll be the biggest reason for low grip in cold conditions, they're not bad if they have some temp in them but if you have just set off and both the tyres and roads are cold....be cautious.

Thanks Marc. Yep, they're on PS4 but it's entirely my fault really. Should've been more careful but we live and learn.
Offline eccentric1  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2018 04:16:09(UTC)
eccentric1

Get some winter tyres.
Offline Tanim  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2018 09:13:55(UTC)
Tanim

Originally Posted by: eccentric1 Go to Quoted Post
Get some winter tyres.

Thanks mate. Need to save up for them. Do I need all four or only front two?
Offline eccentric1  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2018 14:30:52(UTC)
eccentric1

You don't put different tyres front & back, let alone different seasonal ones.
Also your Michelin PSS are 205/40/18 and as discussed elsewhere on t'forum the recommended size for winters is 205/45/17 so you'll need different rims.
Keep the good rims only for summer use and buy some cheap suitably-sized (steel) wheels for the winter tyres then you can get them salty, kerb them, whatever, without too much pain.

If I understand correctly you're up Norff and get winter temperatures, ice and some snow so this is when winter tyres can actually be useful in the UK. Darn Sarff not so useful.
Offline Tanim  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2018 16:05:30(UTC)
Tanim

Originally Posted by: eccentric1 Go to Quoted Post
You don't put different tyres front & back, let alone different seasonal ones.
Also your Michelin PSS are 205/40/18 and as discussed elsewhere on t'forum the recommended size for winters is 205/45/17 so you'll need different rims.
Keep the good rims only for summer use and buy some cheap suitably-sized (steel) wheels for the winter tyres then you can get them salty, kerb them, whatever, without too much pain.

If I understand correctly you're up Norff and get winter temperatures, ice and some snow so this is when winter tyres can actually be useful in the UK. Darn Sarff not so useful.

This cheered me up lol, aye, I'm oop norf marra LOL
Offline keys1990  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2018 07:51:15(UTC)
keys1990

I had this occurrence happen 2 separate times in 2 separate clio R.S. , one was in the rain when I turned into a corner quite quick just to see what would happen , low and behold the car slid and I was waiting for the bang but just before I clipped the kerb the car slid back and avoided the kerb , and the second time I think I may have been in sport mode can’t remember but I decided to go round a corner I’d been round over a hundred times and on this occasion I hit a frosty patch and the car just slid , I narrowly missed the car infront of me and the van behind me as I swerved into their lane , this gave me a brown stain in my pants lmaoooo, but I did learn a lesson that morning that these cars are great but not so great in bad conditions , we can’t have it all aye 😁
Offline Tanim  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2018 12:13:49(UTC)
Tanim

Originally Posted by: keys1990 Go to Quoted Post
I had this occurrence happen 2 separate times in 2 separate clio R.S. , one was in the rain when I turned into a corner quite quick just to see what would happen , low and behold the car slid and I was waiting for the bang but just before I clipped the kerb the car slid back and avoided the kerb , and the second time I think I may have been in sport mode can’t remember but I decided to go round a corner I’d been round over a hundred times and on this occasion I hit a frosty patch and the car just slid , I narrowly missed the car infront of me and the van behind me as I swerved into their lane , this gave me a brown stain in my pants lmaoooo, but I did learn a lesson that morning that these cars are great but not so great in bad conditions , we can’t have it all aye 😁

LOL

I just cannie afford to have the insurance go higher anymore, driving like a nan until the summer for me now..