Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Shmoo  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2018 19:00:33(UTC)
Shmoo

Hi,

I purchased back in Sep 2016 a 275 Megane Cup which during this time has covered around 5k miles. I have noticed the past couple of days that there is a humming/droning noise when the speed builds from around 50mph upwards. I wondered if it was the front tyres as they are pretty worn but am now wondering if it could be the wheel bearings?
Has anyone experienced anything similar? I assume that if it is the bearings then I can go back to the dealer (It was purchased from Renault Croydon) as I assume It will have at least a 12 month warranty.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Offline Penn  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2018 21:13:36(UTC)
Penn

Don’t underestimate the additional noise worn tyres can generate. I’d get those sorted first and see if it’s still happening.
Offline eccentric1  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2018 04:23:16(UTC)
eccentric1

Wheel bearings usually make more of a whistling sound, humming / droning is more likely tyres and you say they are pretty worn.
Offline foxspeed  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2018 11:13:01(UTC)
foxspeed

not known for bearing issues and anyway they have 4yr warranty so if it is an issue should be covered?
Offline Shmoo  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2018 18:07:23(UTC)
Shmoo

Just wanted to post an update on where I'm at with the noise. I replaced the two front tyres and explained to the fitter the noise i had been experiencing. He thinks it may be the rear tyres as they are a cheap brand (not fitted by me but by Renault when I purchased it) and are not asymmetric so could be making a noise as they start to wear. If anything the noise is getting worse. If I drive along and put it in neutral the noise is there and only reduces when I slow down. I don't want to fork out on new rears yet especially if the issue is not tyre related. Any ideas or should I simply book it into Renault and let them diagnose it and repair under warranty.

Cheers

Chris
Offline -Gazeratti-  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2018 19:12:01(UTC)
-Gazeratti-

Id get them to look at it so you know for sure